Axl's 2016 voice

I still put the majority of his performance vocally down to his physical condition.

Is it no coincidence that when he was in peak nuGNR physical condition in 2006/07 that his vocal performances were also stellar to go with that?!

I think it's a no brainer, he can still possibly claw back some of that 06 rasp pn tap if he gets leaner.

6 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

As good as the show was the other night, I don't think Axl's vocals were the strong point. He had his moments but he isn't sounding too great.

That being said.. I have watched a bunch of videos from the Saturday show and he there was noticeable improvement over Friday.

It all depends on whether or not they plan on making another record. If this is their final go at it, and no new material is planned, then I think Axl should just go all out one last time and give the fans one last great memory. Once he retires, it won't matter if he has no voice left. I say let it out and not worry about the consequences. I think he can still sing with rasp at well, but he is scared and holding back. 

• Like 1

I personally thought he sounded very good and actually great at times Saturday night.The man is in his mid 50's and the band played for nearly 3 hours.I usually try to go to a show at least every few months and if I think about some of the bands I've seen in last couple years his vocal performance exceeds every lead singers imo.Seen U2 ,Stones,Metellica, RHCP and while all those bands singers sounded good Axl sounded better to me.Only maybe Eddie Vedder was more on with Pearl Jam then Axl the other night.Vince Neil and David Lee Roth sounded downright awful when I seen Motley Crue and VH recently 

For a 54 year old he sounds amazing. I'm just living these moments which I know will pass by and I'll end up wishing I could relive these GN'R moments .. It's the same with '06 axl when he was at the top of his game and all of a sudden it's 10 Years ago :blink:

17 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That being said.. I have watched a bunch of videos from the Saturday show and he there was noticeable improvement over Friday.

That's what everyone was saying to me on Sunday. I'm listening to my recording right now and he sounds every bit as amazing as I remember.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RussTCB said:

That's what everyone was saying to me on Sunday. I'm listening to my recording right now and he sounds every bit as amazing as I remember.

I agree and being at both shows, his voice on Saturday was indeed better than Friday...spotty at times even on Saturday but much improved overall and downright brilliant at times.

• Like 1

I hope we can get Out Ta Get Me in the setlist. Axl always kills it.

3 hours ago, spliff said:

I wonder what street of dreams will sound like with this new powerful clean menacing raspy m̶i̶c̶k̶e̶y̶  voice

hopefully somewhere between

This maybe? 

He started this tour sounding better than he finished the last one, and he always improves as the tours progress. I'd say he's off to a pretty good start :P

Axl sounded great at both nights in Vegas I thought - there were a couple noticeable songs where he slipped into his 'mickey' voice but probably 80-90% of his clean voice was actually just a good sounding clean voice. I can't wait to hear what he pulls off when he's not forced to sit down for the whole set.

Is this where I express my deep sadness that Axl has apparently given up on his dream? I am heartbroken, crestfallen, and another word that means the same thing as the previous two but I can't think of right now. Has no one considered that he may aspire to sound like Mickey? He used to wear Mickey mouse shirts back in the day and he is still wearing them now. Maybe it was his life long dream? How could we be so horrible as to bash a dear man's hopes and dreams like this. It is just not fair! Now he has given up, joined back up with Duff and Slash and put aside that which he once yearned for. He is starting to revert back to the old days. It is terribly sad.

6 hours ago, HuskerTornado said:

He sounds great.  Outside of a few momentary so-called "mickey" moments.  But really, why dwell on those short seconds rather than emphasize the whole of the shows, which he has been excellent. 

Exactly.

I have no idea what had he done in the process but he should keep doing it. There's no denying his voice and appearance has improved since the last time he toured. 

His vocals are the best I have heard since the end of the 2010 tour.  Mickey is still present, sure, but one thing I should highlight is the fact that he's giving us his best.  He's trying.  He's pushing himself.  That's what I love the most.

Sure, he still needs to work on his voice, but the way he's singing and performing these songs are what puts a big grin on my face.  Way to go, Axl!

Can't wait for Coachella!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, sonofnazareth said:

His voice is good for his age, but I grew up with the raspy UYI era vocals and that is what prime Axl Rose should sound like to me. His 'clean' voice is something that I cannot grow to love. 

I dont know what happened in 2010-2011,but he changed his voice again..

He is still singing like 2011-2014 BUT he is pushing it to the limit he can go to when HE wants to push it.

Its certainly not anything like 2010 vocals, which were totally unique IMO and it obviously took its toll, but equally its perfectly good for what is required and most people seem to happy enough with what he is producing so far.

If you want 1992 style vocals...guess what...you can watch some 1992 bootlegs! The fact he can do this AT ALL after the vocal abuse is in itself a mircle, some singers totally lose their voice (like can barely sing) in far less time.

• Like 1