Axl's 2016 voice

I think he's got a finite amount of 'push' left, after years of tearing it up. He'll pick moments when to use it, but can't sustain it over two hours/3 months of a tour. It's completely understandable - he now has had to adapt his vocal style, to ensure he doesn't blow out his voice for good. Parallels with ACDC, the guy was going deaf - years of this takes its toll. 

• Like 2

Ok based on my own guesses and assumption (not saying any of this is true, only Axl can say what his singing methods are)

It appears that for Axl he is going into the traditional "rasp" more often now than he did post-2010 and he sounds more powerful overall.  He does go clean too maybe as a way of conserving energy and conserving his voice overall.  His clean voice is more powerful than it has been the past few years as well.

I feel like so far 2016 has been a great year for Axl and I hope he keeps it up

• Like 2

He's putting 75% effort into the vocals on this tour, which is better than the 25% he's been putting in for the last 5 years.

He still refuses to give up Mickey on songs like Sweet Child O' Mine, but he goes full rasp for most of Coma. Bizarre.

And this is all with him sitting down - I'm expecting the vocals to get worse once he starts running around again.

Overall I'm impressed. 

He struggles with the same thing he has the past 15+ years and that's his mid-range.

He still sounds good in his low register, and the high for the most part (like the screaming vocals in Better, It's So Easy, & Live & Let Die).  It's too rough on his voice to do it when he's in his mid-range because that's how he sang almost all time.   

I do like how he's extending his low register more often in songs like Nightrain & November Rain than singing in that winded mid-range voice.  That was a smart move on his part and could stand to use it more.  It would make You Could Be Mine bearable to listen to.

Edited by Smokin' Cigarettes

17 hours ago, liveillusion said:

Axl sounds much different live then he does on a youtube video. For the better.

I really wish I could agree with you on this. But I cannnot. I hear exactly the same sound from him live (pit in the Palladium, Vegas floor 3rd row, LA Forum nosebleeds, right behind the soundboard in a nice large theatre - Phoenix) that I hear from my recordings and from the youtube videos, and from the streams. It is what it is.

It's definitely amazing that he can still sing at all, and he sings 25 songs per show no less. I just don't see significant improvement coming during this tour. Sweet Child, RQ, Estranged are always my indicators. I wish he'd kill those songs, but it's clean voice all the way. He still sings TIL really well, and Coma is basically worth the price of admission. 2010 was really just unreal.

Edited by PirateRadio
  • Like 1

his vocals are all over the place right now is the  problem but i noticed a trend though where he would pick up at the end of songs

his conditioning i don't think is there yet...i think as the tour progresses you'll hear less and less mickey

If you really think about it and consider the man's age and amount of wear and tear the voice had on it in the early 90's, it is sounding really good these days. Most singers his age can't hit high notes anymore and don't have Axl's energy.

8 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

He sounds better than he did in all of 2001-2, 2011-14. Basically/almost at '06 level now.

I think he does sound better than 01/02, but not at the level of 06/07. I was there for tons of shows between 06-14. And 06 was a magic year for his voice. I will go to a couple of shows this summer. And I don't expect his voice to be 06 level, but that's okay. I agree with a lot of comments I have read . It's great what he can still do for his age, and the abuse he has put his voice  through. Over recent years, I have seen many old school bands , and the singer is just done with. And sometimes I don't care. I'm enjoying the music as a whole, but makes me think of how Axl can still rock hard at his age. 

9 hours ago, PirateRadio said:

I really wish I could agree with you on this. But I cannnot. I hear exactly the same sound from him live (pit in the Palladium, Vegas floor 3rd row, LA Forum nosebleeds, right behind the soundboard in a nice large theatre - Phoenix) that I hear from my recordings and from the youtube videos, and from the streams. It is what it is.

Agreed. I could tell when he didn't sound good at the first Vegas show. It is what it is. 

On 4/10/2016 at 4:29 AM, pugachev said:

I'm all alone in being more upset that Slash ditched his godlike UYI tone for whatever he's using now. I can deal with Axl's Mickey voice if this tone made a come back.

https://youtu.be/ii9dbih9lkI?t=140

I also feel the same, but I believe the reason for that is more related with the recording hardware (80's Cam corders vs Mobile phones).

Some songs are certainly weaker than others.

I think his voice is hard to judge, as some songs are basically still sounding like they did during the 11-14 era. Others are sounding the best they have for a very long time and you can hear him giving it everything he has got. For example no-one can say that this Nightrain isn't vocally outstanding from Axl...and if they do...they should be signed in to some place for their own safety!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaedxdZ_9Os

That rasp is more fierce than nearly ANYTHING since the 90s, most versions from 2010 aren't this fierce (the only one I can think of is Bucharest, that was Axl with a chainsaw voice)

Only complaints I have are the vocals during the songs:

November Rain

Paradise City

Sweet Child

Everything else is pure fire, and I can sense a new energy from Axl. Great to see. I also believe his voice will become stronger as we progress through the tour.

• Like 1

At least GN'R is touring and slash Duff and axl are alive and well. Never thought I'd see the day. May as well enjoy it to the fullest irrespective of rasp or clean or mid range having issues. What's clear is the man is giving it his all and he cares enough about the fans to push himself to the limit.