Axl's 2016 voice

2 hours ago, GNRFan53 said:

Only complaints I have are the vocals during the songs:

November Rain

Paradise City

Sweet Child

Everything else is pure fire, and I can sense a new energy from Axl. Great to see. I also believe his voice will become stronger as we progress through the tour.

Add YCBM in there, I give him a pass on paradise city bc it seems he's trying to add some lower raspier vocals there but YCBM and first part of RQ he's not even trying to change it up, he's singing that way on purpose. 

• Like 1

speaking as someone who saw GNR in91,92,93 it's really sad how his vocals have deteriorated to  this level. I never got into the nu guns so i didn't know how bad he got, lots of people are saying his voice is the 'best it's been for years' truly amazes and saddens me.I don't mean to be nasty but it is a shock.Sorry.

So happy with his voice this year thus far!

he's not in his 20's but screw that scapegoat argument... That aside he sounds spot-on on most songs. 

i thought the proshot coachella vids were really beneficial to people having faith in the quality of this era.

i know nov rain has gotten some shit in regards to vocals but the coachella feed was def one of the best in years. He had a decent amount of gravel on the verses and the ending high wail on the outro was more reminiscent of the album recording than I've ever heard!

no one can deny nightrain sounded just as good now if not better than many of their prime year performances. 

Edited by bched
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

i can

Oh wow..I mean some songs are definately not in that league and pale compared to prime vocals...but that Nightrain is amazing, he power and full blown rasp.

HOW can that not be impressive to you. I mean was you expecting to sound like he has severe throat damage at his age? 

Impossible to please some people!

If he puts power and effort into it, thats good enough. If you expect that raging banshee scream...ive heard there are some good bootlegs from 1991...

Being a young and attractive guy is  a very forgiving factor for both males and females of all sexual orientations. There is obviously a massive sense of nostalgia and love for the bygone era,  which as much as people try to act uneffected by nostalgia, they are -- even if they don't want to admit it.

That being said -- Some of the best performances of this era do ABSOLUTELY stand up to some of the prime era performances. Saying otherwise is denying the quality of this era because of some other bias. 

Edited by bched

SIDENOTE:

im day drinking at a strip club and the dancer put on 10 straight ac/dc songs and I hear some sheeple at the end of the bar saying the stereotypical ignorant bar room talking points.

1) "my asshole can sing better than axl rose"

2) "he's an asshole. More like Asshole rose!"

on the positive side... Axl is back in the modern American lexicon. :) Cheers! 

25 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

speaking as someone who saw GNR in91,92,93 it's really sad how his vocals have deteriorated to  this level. I never got into the nu guns so i didn't know how bad he got, lots of people are saying his voice is the 'best it's been for years' truly amazes and saddens me.I don't mean to be nasty but it is a shock.Sorry.

Just a silly thing to say. You can't compare him to how he was over 20 years ago. Aging takes a toll on everyone. 

Just be happy that he's healthy and is in good shape to still be able to tour. 

• Like 1

Axl sounds great. He sounds amazing. But he is no where near his prime. That is why we call it prime. He was in peak condition and couldn't get any better. In his prime he was a 15 on the scale of 1-10. It is hard to compete with that.

That is not to take anything away from what he is doing today because he is still great. In fact, I don't see a point in wistfully wishing for the old days, because, you know, they were the old days and unless you've got a time machine they will stay the old days. Things change and there is no going back. I will just completely enjoy what I am getting because, to me, it is amazing as it is.

(Not to say it can't improve, nothing is perfect and everything can be improved on.)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sanity_lost said:

Axl sounds great. He sounds amazing. But he is no where near his prime. That is why we call it prime. He was in peak condition and couldn't get any better. In his prime he was a 15 on the scale of 1-10. It is hard to compete with that.

That is not to take anything away from what he is doing today because he is still great. In fact, I don't see a point in wistfully wishing for the old days, because, you know, they were the old days and unless you've got a time machine they will stay the old days. Things change and there is no going back. I will just completely enjoy what I am getting because, to me, it is amazing as it is.

(Not to say it can't improve, nothing is perfect and everything can be improved on.)

True, nothing remains the same, we all change with time.

50 minutes ago, lassie said:

Axl has a good voice these days, and glad to see it, he has a few songs. he is still having a little trouble with, but damn many are awesome too.

He is on fire here Axl :-)

Sebastian is such a funny guy. :lol:

I think Axl should try to sing in a different way the songs he sings with mickey voice, lol

like sweet child o mine, he could try to use the voice he use in patience or it so easy, but keep the screams and some high notes here and there.

the same goes for paradise city, in the begining he sings soooo  mickey mouse, he could say "sing it" and let the crownd sing somes parts of the intro , and turn the mic to the crowd and act badass.

he could try to sing this way on you could be mine, too

they could let duff sing so fine, and add more quiet and calm songs like you aint the first, etc etc

i think this will solve the problem of the mickey voice.

they dont need to change the tunning or the tempo of the songs, that will make songs worse.

axl could be more experimental and less stubborn, he insists to sing with that mickey voice.

• 2 weeks later...

This song is not very good, but it really illustrates the return of the rasp. I is not that super forced, extremely high pitched nightrain rasp, it's the effortless, thick old rasp. Really sounds like 2006.

• Like 2