Axl's 2016 voice

I apologize if this is being discussed elsewhere.

Anyways what Are your thoughts on Axls voice? Personally i think he sounds if not the same, a little better than 2014. I was really hoping for a 2010 voice And a sound kind of like the rose bar session vocally speaking.

Nonetheless, i think Axls current voice is amazing.

Well I think it's kind of hard to judge considering the majority hasn't heard his voice yet in a full show. From the bits and pieces we've heard, however, I'd rate it in the middle of 2010 and the 2014 Vegas shows. Which is good for the start of the tour at his age.

I've yet to figure out the nature of the elusive rasp. We've got from 2002 to 2006.... which was a huge improvement... to the dip again that lasted until the insane comeback of 2010... to the 2014 on again off again.

Clearly it's not strictly an age thing. 2010 showed it's not exclusively a weight thing (2001 and 2006 being the best shape he's been in since the breakup). Finally, the progression between 2006 and 2010 shows it wasn't some kind of permanent, irrevocable damage that had occurred from the 90's.

I just hope 2010 comes back for those songs that need it.... it makes such a difference in selling the songs. The snippets sounded good! The only powerless bit I heard was for Paradise City which is the very end of the set... I'm rooting for you Ax man! Rasp is what will conquer stadiums.

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

This is an interesting topic, but i will wait with my judgement until better footage comes out from the Vegas gigs

From what i can tell, he sounded like 2014 just a little bit better but on PC he has got some problems, Mickey clearly showed up

We should not forgot that he actually give a shit about his performance and was into it, which is a good sign (but really what else he can do on this reunion? :lol:)

Hopefully with more touring and after the whole (zomg this is the reunion ) hype his voice could be even better. Remember: Axl's voice improved after a few shows (unfortunately that was not the case after 2011-12) but before that, his voice always gets better and better as the tour goes

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

If the rasp is still there in his reserve tank, I hope he doesn't use it all in the ACDC dates. That's if those actually happen. I don't like the whole idea of it, simply because covering ACDC songs is surely going to be more straining on his vocal cords than the GNR ones.

So far it's not good enough, same problems that he's had ever since 2011. I really don't get it except blaming it on the lack of training. 
I'm not sure whether it's connected to his weight entirely, as stated, he sounded better in 2010 than 2002-6 even if overweight... but it must play a role nonetheless.

Of course, if he looked much slimmer, a lot could be forgiven to the current state of his voice. It's a real wonder why he let go so much.

Can't judge him on the first show. Go watch rio 1991... it's pretty bad and that was in his prime. I would expect whatever we hear now to be at least 70% better by summer. Either way, when you're at the show, it'll sound great. After all, he's not singing for You Tube. He's singing for the people who are there watching him...

I think he sounded great from the clips, but I have no idea how it would hold up in a live stream. 

Many people say he sounds ok for this part of the tour and will improve, but that just doesn't cut it this time. They are trying to sell gigantic domes at premium prices, Axl's performances in Vegas and coachella are crucial. He's got the general public against him, and his dramatically changed physical appearance since the heyday that they are trying to milk puts even more pressure on his vocal performance, judging from commentary online. I am rooting for him all the way though. 

• Like 1

It''s still the same since 2011. Sounds good on easier songs, but can't pull out rasp where he's too busy to breathe. It's this way for the last 5 years and at this point I don't think it's gonna change, so take it or leave it, I guess. Personally, I'm glad he's still around and having fun with his old mates, but I'm 100% sure he will be bashed by general public based on clips of SCOM/PC/YCBM...

It will always be such a shame they haven't found peace before '10 tour. Back then, there was a hope for concquering the world again.

Edited by DanielitoCZ

30 minutes ago, DanielitoCZ said:

It''s still the same since 2011. Sounds good on easier songs, but can't pull out rasp where he's too busy to breathe. It's this way for the last 5 years and at this point I don't think it's gonna change, so take it or leave it, I guess. Personally, I'm glad he's still around and having fun with his old mates, but I'm 100% sure he will be bashed by general public based on clips of SCOM/PC/YCMB...

It will always be such a shame they haven't found peace before '10 tour. Back then, there was a hope for concquering the world again.

YCMB clip ?

When comparing Axl's scream during the middle of WTTJ with his scream at the same point during The Ritz '88, he still sounds pretty damn good to me. Then again, I also think in addition to Frank hitting the drums harder than Adler or Sorum ever did, Frank does a good job on the Appetite tunes. Anyway, just three days until the next show and a lot more videos!

I do think Axl will be able to get away with a lot more now that he has Slash and Duff back in the band. You just know he will sound identical to 2011-2014, but because folks are so overjoyed about this reunion and want to hype this up to be some kind of reincarnation of the 1992 lineup, they will excuse a lot of shit Axl performances this time around, or convince themselves that he's firing on all cylinders.

Reality is, from the few clips we've seen so far, he sounds no better, no worse than 2014. He sounded decent on Jungle (but he always sounds decent on that one), Seeker really suits his new, more limited range but he sounded fucking horrible on PC.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GivenToFly said:

It's a bit worrying that he was already losing it by Paradise City. That was what? an hour into the show? Does that mean that out of a full length show only the first half will be good?

It's not the time of the show that makes him not so good sounding. It's the songs.

I agree with a lot of what's already been said. It's really too early to tell based on the clips we've got. I'm hoping he does what he did in 2006 and mixes in the full rasp along with the high falsetto to save his voice when he needs to. 

if we're judging his voice based on the jungle clip it's a worse than 2014 vegas imo..  one thing he did better in 2014 was switch over to his lower raspy voice on "We are the people that can find Whatever you may need If you got the money, honey We got your disease" 

like he did here 1:15

1:05

but here in the troubadour video 0:54 he continued in the same voice up until the shananaannananas then put some rasp on the knees

• Like 1

He can't use "rasp" all the time. It would blow up his voice. I realized this after having in-depth consultations with 15 nuclear scientists and than submitting my findings to the BOLA (Baord of Logic Affairs) and getting approved by UCSS (Use Common Sense Society).

Edited by Kenan
  • Like 1