Frank Ferrer

11 hours ago, sanity_lost said:

Oh god. The UYI drum solos were the worst idea ever invented. I am sorry if there are any drummers in the house who I am offending, but I always, always skip the long ass drum solo when watching UYI videos

I've said it before, but that Sorum drum solo has got to be the lousiest professional drum solo I've ever seen or heard.

• Like 2

This is why I have little interest in Matt being part of the reunion. I have no nostalgia for his role in the band, just memories that I wish could remain repressed. Sadly, I just watched the video and all those memories of terrible hair, embarrassing gurning and rotten drumming come flooding back. In terms of the live shows (which is all we're getting for the foreseeable future) his presence ruined EVERYTHING.

He may look and sound better now and he redeemed himself in VR but can we really trust him not to grow and perm his hair again? It's not worth the risk.

Edited by Stress Fracture
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

This is why I have little interest in Matt being part of the reunion. I have no nostalgia for his role in the band, just memories that I wish could remain repressed. Sadly, I just watched the video and all those memories of terrible hair, embarrassing gurning and rotten drumming come flooding back. In terms of the live shows (which is all we're getting for the foreseeable future) his presence ruined EVERYTHING.

He may look and sound better now and he redeemed himself in VR but can we really trust him not to grow and perm his hair again? It's not worth the risk.

matt did a great job, cause he replaced adlers sound so good, that no one was really complaining...with frank, you can hear the difference between adler and sorum....don't know exactly if frank is the problem, but it sounds like he is drumming very fast at some points...just listen to slashs last solo...i don't think it is slash's fault....it's franks :(

4 hours ago, maxpax said:

matt did a great job, cause he replaced adlers sound so good, that no one was really complaining...with frank, you can hear the difference between adler and sorum....don't know exactly if frank is the problem, but it sounds like he is drumming very fast at some points...just listen to slashs last solo...i don't think it is slash's fault....it's franks :(

I do agree that he's hitting too hard on Estranged, the ride cymbal really shouldn't be that washed out for the solo's. I understand why he plays it that way, because it's A) a lot of fun to beat the crap out of your kit B) adds a sense of extra energy. But Estranged for me is not a hard rocker, more light dynamics are needed on that song. I don't mid the extra fills and added flourishes on the ride during the breaks but the dude can't abide when he's smash that ride during the solo's. Still in time and what not, but stylistically questionable.

I can't remember him playing it that way with old Guns (Who are we calling old guns now :P)... it's possible he was asked to play it that way, or "go nuts on that part" but I have no clue why they'd ask him to do that.

4 hours ago, chevelle said:

I honestly don't get all the fuss over the drummer. Any rock drummer worth their salt could play these songs, they're not insanely technical or particularly nuanced. Frank is fine, Steven would've been fine, Matt would've been fine. I'm just happy the dude that's put ten years into this band got to keep his spot.

Agreed, he's doing a fine job and has earned to stay for being in the band the past 10 years!

We should all just be happy we are seeing Axl, Duff & Slash on the same stage in 2016

• Like 2

Personally, I don't like Frank at all for this band. I really wish I did, though. He seems to be a nice guy who gets along with everyone which I think is important now that Axl and Slash are back together, but I can't stand the way he plays certain songs.

Ideally, I'd love to have Steven as the drummer. Just as it happened with Slash, I'd love to see his take on Chi Dem songs. I think having Slash and Steven would give those songs more of a "GNR vibe", maybe it would turn out terrible but it'd be interesting to find out, haha.

However, I can understand those guys not feeling 100% confident with Steven and needing/wanting someone else. I just think they had better choices thank keeping Frank. Matt was the obvious one, but I would take Brent Fitz over Matt any day.

Anyway, I can't imagine Frank leaving any time soon, so we should try to take it for what it is and enjoy GNR to the fullest... or get together at some show and do a riot! :P

By the way, regarding Steven's health, I know there are lots of comments about his back injury. Well, Courtney Cox (guitar player of The Iron Maidens) said on instagram that Steven apparently had the back surgery on the day of the Troubador gig. If she's right, then I guess we'll have to wait quite some time to see him doing some guest spots (if that ever happens). https://www.instagram.com/p/BDsR3GFgnLD/?taken-by=ccshred

Ps: I finally decided to start posting, been checking on the forum daily for a few months. Hi guys! :lol:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, PsychoKiss344 said:

Agreed, he's doing a fine job and has earned to stay for being in the band the past 10 years!

We should all just be happy we are seeing Axl, Duff & Slash on the same stage in 2016

We just want Axl/Slash and Duff to be able to give the best performance they can. Frank and to some extent Fortus hinder that.

7 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

However, I can understand those guys not feeling 100% confident with Steven and needing/wanting someone else. I just think they had better choices thank keeping Frank. Matt was the obvious one, but I would take Brent Fitz over Matt any day.

Brent Fitz plays Gn'R songs perfect! 

Frank on Jungle is as close to Steven as we are going to get.  Frank plays a lot like Steven even the tempo of the songs not on record but how Steven played live.  Look at VMA 88 Jungle and how Frank plays Jungle.  Very similar.  I think Frank kicks ass!  The only problem with Frank is that he isn't Steven.  Sorum was fine as well.  But like most I would have liked to see Steven back full time with Izzy.  

• Like 1

I feel every drummer of GnR has been a good drummer. Just because things are played different doesn't mean it's bad it's just a different personality behind the kit. I hope Steven gets to be a part of it, and was most likely supposed to be, but because of his back he isn't (for now). As long as the painkillers don't trigger a relapse he should be good. Steven was great on Appetite and he had "the feeling" but from a drummers stand point he wasn't mind blowing. He's always had a very straight forward in your face groove, but he tended to be all over the place rhythm wise. DON'T attack me for that even Steven admits it! Watch him live especially towards the end of his Guns day (farm aid) and you will hear slightly to fast then to slow. I have seen him play now and he's nailing it (now that he's clean), but I feel Matt and Frank were just an evolution of the band and both are amazing drummers. Whether or not you like their style or take on Stevens drum parts you don't need to bash them as players!

Frank did a great job on the AC/DC songs. He went for 1978ish Phil Rudd in the fills department. Both songs were as close to the "If You Want Blood" versions as they could be. Go figure. He makes all kinds of changes to the Guns songs but plays AC/DC covers extremely faithfully. :lol: 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Estranged Fan said:

Steven was great on Appetite and he had "the feeling" but from a drummers stand point he wasn't mind blowing. He's always had a very straight forward in your face groove, but he tended to be all over the place rhythm wise. DON'T attack me for that even Steven admits it! [...] you will hear slightly to fast then to slow. I have seen him play now and he's nailing it

I was re-reading an old interview from 1988 just the other day and something like this was actually mentioned by Izzy :)

"Appetite" sounds so live. How much of the interplay is worked out exactly?
In the studio our drummer is completely hyper. We'd do a song two or three times and if you don't get it you move along. Sometimes you'd have to slow him down. Even now when I listen to him these songs sound kind of fast.

Maybe Frank is having trouble trying to recreate Stevens fast-then-slow-then-fast style of drumming :D Personally I thought they sounded awesome in Vegas and didn't notice any issues on the night (aside from the obvious lack of Izzy and Steven)

• Like 1

The only way I can put it is that he feels behind the beat a lot of the time, even though he is playing fast. A good drummer should be hardly noticeable (fitting perfectly into the music), and for some reason, I've been noticing him a lot lately.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Just watched November Rain from Coachella.. Add that to the list of songs Frank sucks at

I understand some of the criticism of Frank, as I feel there is substance behind it. Where does your dislike for Fortus come from? His playing has been great so far. You do seem to dislike every member that wasn't in the band before 1993.

• Like 1

You guys miss Adler smiling and laughing as he plays the drums, not his actual skills as a drummer. Frank didn't just go rogue and start playing the songs how he feels them, he listens to Axl, Duff and Slash now, if they want it to be played at this tempo then he'll do it. I think this is more of a band trying to find their sound again, louder and faster has seemingly been the route so far, where as UYI tour felt more precise and rhythm based...technically this is a new band with Fortus and Frank, but they certainly March to the beat of Axl, SLash and Duff.

Coachella sounded much faster than any other show, but I wonder if that had to do with fitting 25 songs into a 2 hour window. They played Paradise city super fast and I'm not sure it wasn't to avoid the curfew shut down, maybe they will slow it down in June after this run.

8 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

I understand some of the criticism of Frank, as I feel there is substance behind it. Where does your dislike for Fortus come from? His playing has been great so far. You do seem to dislike every member that wasn't in the band before 1993.

This is a Frank thread but I have mentioned specific reasons why I don't care for Fortus in other threads.  I would prefer anyone from the lineups up to 1993 and I do dislike the members that are in the band that aren't from that era but it isn't simply because they aren't from that era.  It is because they detract from the sound of the band.