Frank Ferrer

On April 20, 2016 at 5:44 PM, CardinalGunner said:

If the tempo is rushed, do you really think that would be Frank's decision alone?    Like Axl, Slash, and Duff have no say in that?  

Exactly. 

Axl and Slash aren't going to sit back and let the Frank control the songs. I would bet he has no say in the matter. 

The most obvious reason is they wanted to add a little life and energy into songs they've been playing live for 25-30 years. How many times has Axl played SCOM in his career? It has to get a bit repetitive after awhile. 

• Like 1

It's the never ending war of people who play music and have and ear for it vs. the people who don't and discredit what they say because they're not famous.  People who clearly hear something wrong vs. the one's who hear it as perfection.  One guy says Frank isn't bad vs. another who says he's awful.  

It's very comparable to religion in the aspect that 1 passage read by 10 different people can have 10 different meanings.  

Edited by Smokin' Cigarettes

There´s difference between speeding up songs a bit to get more energy or whatever, or have issues with TIMING.  I´ve heard GN'R speeding things up in the past but then it sounded good.

I don´t like Ferrer´s drumming.  I think he´s misplaced. But hopefully they get tighter and better along the tour. (or just get Matt or Steven back)

But all in all i´m just very happy they (Axl,Slash,Duff) are on tour together

• Like 1

2 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

There´s difference between speeding up songs a bit to get more energy or whatever, or have issues with TIMING.  I´ve heard GN'R speeding things up in the past but then it sounded good.

I don´t like Ferrer´s drumming.  I think he´s misplaced. But hopefully they get tighter and better along the tour. (or just get Matt or Steven back)

But all in all i´m just very happy they (Axl,Slash,Duff) are on tour together

Do you think Axl, Slash and Duff are happy and satisfied with it?

Seems like if they weren't happy then Frank would get in trouble or fired. 

There is literally no way that The Big Three would let GnR's eighth drummer ruin their big return to glory. 

2 hours ago, estranged_85 said:

That is the thing.. If the whole band is amped and they are playing songs fast together sounding good is one thing.. But they just don't seem to be in sync.. Slash sounds out of his comfort zone here playing his own damn songs half the time.. Prior to this tour he was playing the best guitar of his life now not so much.. It can be painful to watch.  I blame just as much of that to the lack of chemistry with Foreskin.

14 minutes ago, Apollo said:

Do you think Axl, Slash and Duff are happy and satisfied with it?

Seems like if they weren't happy then Frank would get in trouble or fired. 

There is literally no way that The Big Three would let GnR's eighth drummer ruin their big return to glory. 

It doesn't effect Axl's vocals so much.. He can still do what he does... Slash and Duff don't have a say.. This is still Axl's band and they are payed employees now. They probably just want to get through this with no drama and make a lot of money..

There is no way they could watch some of these performances and be happy with them. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

It doesn't effect Axl's vocals so much.. He can still do what he does... Slash and Duff don't have a say.. This is still Axl's band and they are payed employees now. They probably just want to get through this with no drama and make a lot of money..

There is no way they could watch some of these performances and be happy with them. 

Also possible they are intentionally speeding up the songs to create a different energy. Frank's tempo was not this fast with nu-Guns.

6 hours ago, Apollo said:

Exactly. 

Axl and Slash aren't going to sit back and let the Frank control the songs. I would bet he has no say in the matter. 

The most obvious reason is they wanted to add a little life and energy into songs they've been playing live for 25-30 years. How many times has Axl played SCOM in his career? It has to get a bit repetitive after awhile. 

Yup. And you know how they can change that "repetitive" feel? Record some new songs! :P It's imminent I feel.

2 minutes ago, tajandreas said:

Yup. And you know how they can change that "repetitive" feel? Record some new songs! :P It's imminent I feel.

I sure hope so. 

My dream is a double album. CD2 and a new album by the current band. 

• Like 2

Of all the drummers in the world Franks definitely one of them. He's a mixed bag can nail a song like Coma but completely cock up the start of YCBM and be all over the place tempo wise. I haven't looked through all the posts so don't know if this has been shared but i love this chick, pounds the shit out of her kit and her drumming just reeks of attitude.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silverburst80 said:

Of all the drummers in the world Franks definitely one of them. He's a mixed bag can nail a song like Coma but completely cock up the start of YCBM and be all over the place tempo wise. I haven't looked through all the posts so don't know if this has been shared but i love this chick, pounds the shit out of her kit and her drumming just reeks of attitude.

F'n hire her!!!

Nothing wrong with playing a perfect song the way it was intended Franko. You are screwing up every one trying to play airs drums to the performances.

• Like 1

I find it funny when I see some people complain about Frank changing the songs and then say they'd rather have Brain back (who made just as many changes). Frank at least plays You Could Be Mine correctly, albeit too fast. I don't think the tempos are entirely on him, however, and it seems that they've settled down a little bit compared to the Vegas shows. I'm sure the adrenaline played a big part and the shows are only getting better.

Now that we've got seven shows under our belt, I feel like now is a good time for me to reassess Frank a bit. With New Guns, I grew to enjoy his changes. I accepted that, as a whole, they were going to play the songs a little differently so it just came with the whole "New Guns feel" so to speak. Some things I never liked (his old Brownstone intro, for example) but most of the time I enjoyed how he played. He quickly became my second pick after Steven because the man definitely has a great feel even if he gets carried away with the fills sometimes.

When it was clear that him and Richard were sticking around for the regrouping/reunion, I fully expected him to adjust the way he was playing the songs to better match with Slash and Duff. To an extent, he did - he now plays Brownstone the original way and his take on all the Appetite stuff is pretty faithful barring an extra snare roll or cymbal accent here or there (mostly stuff that doesn't take away from the songs - even Matt changed a few things).

The only exception to the "Appetite stuff is faithful" rule is Rocket Queen. The biggest thing that bothers me aside from his crazy improvisation over the jam section is when the outro riff first kicks in and the drums drop out. When the bass and drums come back in, there's a distinct snare roll at a particular rhythm that he has totally changed. It doesn't sound bad so much as it's just different for the wrong reasons. Another minor complaint is Paradise City's intro - he doesn't change the kick/snare pattern to straight quarter notes in the third bar of the drum reps as in the original recording to match Slash's chord change. I'm amazed that that's not something that got addressed/fixed in rehearsal consider it's so minor and should be obvious (that's only during the Slash clean intro - once the guitars/synth kick in he's fine and does it right).

It's weird, because some songs he sticks pretty faithful (he's being doing an outstanding job on Coma), but other songs he's all over the place. For the most part, I like what he does on Estranged but in Slash's second solo he gets a little carried away. I think he's trying to do the John Bonham thing where sometimes live he'd match the rhythm of Jimmy's solos to accent key parts, but since Slash is so prone to improvisation it doesn't always work in his favour. November Rain is another example where he kind of does the same thing.

I'm just waiting for the conspiracy theory on the forum where we find out Frank wanted to make sure he never repeated the "Matt Sorum drum fill" too many times so that's why he improvises so much. :lol:

Overall, I'd say Frank is doing fine. Hopefully with more shows he'll continue adapting the way he plays things. Even his second go at Don't Cry on this tour was better than the first, and that's another one he doesn't change all that much. I still hope we'll see Steven at some point for a few songs. Honestly, give Steven Rocket Queen and that'd solve half the Frank issue!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

F'n hire her!!!

Nothing wrong with playing a perfect song the way it was intended Franko. You are screwing up every one trying to play airs drums to the performances.

Bonus points: She's from Indiana!

Agreed. And for the love of God, somebody teach Frank how to play Rocket Queen meanwhile...

• Like 1

Was just catching up Coachella 2 videos and had to shut off Paradise City during the outro. It was a mess. Like I was listening to a totally different song. Axl sounded good but Frank was playing it so fast that Slash literally had to make up a whole new song on the spot. Listen to that mess then listen to the Conspirators do PC.

I was hopeful that they were turning the corner after Mexico but I guess not. They even managed to ruin my fav song Nightrain, primarily because of Slash's outro, by speeding it up.  Nov Rain solos ruined a Slash doesn't have the time to bend his notes properly and let them breathe. Even Don't Cry clocking in at 3mins. Let's not even bother to mention Brownstone, Rocket Queen, YCBM & Civil War

Edited by Top-Hatted One

16 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

I could always take or leave Matt... I would take him in a heart beat now...

I honestly think the biggest thing is that frank plays over the songs, whereas Steven played with the songs, kind of behind the beat. It's new to gnr fans, and totally individual to each person how they feel it sounds/works.

4 hours ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Was just catching up Coachella 2 videos and had to shut off Paradise City during the outro. It was a mess. Like I was listening to a totally different song. Axl sounded good but Frank was playing it so fast that Slash literally had to make up a whole new song on the spot. Listen to that mess then listen to the Conspirators do PC.

I was hopeful that they were turning the corner after Mexico but I guess not. The even managed to ruin my fav song Nightrain, primarily because of Slash's outro, by speeding it up.  Nov Rain solos ruined a Slash doesn't have the time to bend his notes properly and let them breathe. Even Don't Cry clocking in at 3mins. Let's not even bother to mention Brownstone, Rocket Queen, YCBM & Civil War

Many great points made but the end of Paradise City is definitely another one that has lost it's mojo with this band :/ No chemistry at keys moments in a lot of songs