Ticket Demand?

7 hours ago, Italian girl said:

I think that times have changed drastically!

In the past, live shows helped selling albums. now the only way for artist to earn a lot of money is playng expensive shows..

we can find albums for free on the net,  concerts not.. so prices are growing up madly..

I think it's definitely worth considering that the income that bands used to generate from albums is no longer there. It's 100% true that the ways for them to make money are now tours, merch and other official licensing, and they will need to take more advantage of it.

The issue, though, is that people are now less able to pay for those tickets. Salaries really haven't gone up since 1991 when adjusted for inflation. The inflation-adjusted salary has been constant (http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php) since 1991, and costs for things like housing and healthcare have increased exponentially. So a person in 2016 has less disposable income than someone in 1991, and yet the ticket prices are significantly higher.

IMHO the band is absolutely entitled to make as much money as possible, but on the other hand, setting really high ticket prices does exclude a lot of fans. Someone who pays $25 for their ticket might very well end up spending another $50 in merch and concessions once they're in the venue, too.

The marketing team have been ace for this whole thing. I'm sure they have backup plans and other strategies to make sure these venues are mostly sold.

I agree the prices are a bit steep but this is how musicians make their money these days. Let's say all the floor seats were $50 they would have sold out immediately then the scalpers would make all the dough off the tour. Sure some lucky fans would get in there and swoop a few tix, but the weasels would get the majority. Probably not everyone can afford the $250 tickets, but why can't they get the $75 then? How bad do they want to go?

Anyhow, after the hype wears off I think prices will drop-in the next round of U.S. dates anyhow. I doubt they can tour year after year with inflated prices.

51 minutes ago, stella said:

I think it's definitely worth considering that the income that bands used to generate from albums is no longer there. It's 100% true that the ways for them to make money are now tours, merch and other official licensing, and they will need to take more advantage of it.

The issue, though, is that people are now less able to pay for those tickets. Salaries really haven't gone up since 1991 when adjusted for inflation. The inflation-adjusted salary has been constant (http://www.davemanuel.com/median-household-income.php) since 1991, and costs for things like housing and healthcare have increased exponentially. So a person in 2016 has less disposable income than someone in 1991, and yet the ticket prices are significantly higher.

IMHO the band is absolutely entitled to make as much money as possible, but on the other hand, setting really high ticket prices does exclude a lot of fans. Someone who pays $25 for their ticket might very well end up spending another $50 in merch and concessions once they're in the venue, too.

With Spotify, you don't even have to pay for albums to legally listen to them now. Someone in 1991 would have paid quite a bit of money to get both UYI albums, Metallica's black album, Nevermind, and whatever else was going on at the time in rock.

It is amazing that they haven't promoted this thing. I remember whenever there were online polls or Tv polls asking which musical group you wanted to see reunite, GNR would always come out on top. The demand was certainly there at some point. I think there still is to some extent.

Had the original lineup reformed and had they given a press conference and appeared on a late night TV show, these shows would have all sold out in 1-2 days. I think the lack of promotion may have hurt this. That being said, it is still selling as well as we could have expected considering the high tix prices, incomplete band, no press, and that it is 2016.

Let's also not forget how much damage NU GNR did to the GNR brand. An overweight Axl singing like Mickey didn't help either. In the early to mid 2000's, Duff and Slash would have been enough for these tickets to sell. Now I think they needed all the original 5 and press conference.

5 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I disagree completely. Yes SOME people might care, but they are the small miniority. Ticket prices are the biggest reason why some shows are struggeling, all other factors are secondary.

Tickets are way too expensive, no argument there. But the lineup is a definite factor and I believe it's also why there has been no press.

nb2lh2.jpg

People that haven't paid attention to what's been going on over the years will look at that and go 'Who the fuck are all those people? Are you sure that's Guns N' Roses?"

And then it comes back to the price. "300 bucks for that?  No thanks".

• Like 2

If they booked stadia in Europe, similar sized venues to the ones in the United States, the tour will flop like a pair of granny's breasts. The English for instance are not bothered about GN'R as they await Oasis's return. We don't have that white trash goateed wrestling sub-culture that America has, that provides the lion's share of Guns N' Roses crowds. Also, Europe is broke. Europe hasn't got two thre'penny bits to rub together.

Edited by DieselDaisy

So for all practical purposes the following are/will be sold out-

NJ, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, San Fran, San Diego, Philly, Orlando, Detroit, Houston and New Orleans

DC- 70% sold

Nashville- 50% sold

Atl- 50% sold

Houston- 60% sold

PHX – horrible

Dallas, KC, Cincinnati, Seattle, Pittsburgh- no clue?

48 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

With Spotify, you don't even have to pay for albums to legally listen to them now. Someone in 1991 would have paid quite a bit of money to get both UYI albums, Metallica's black album, Nevermind, and whatever else was going on at the time in rock.

Nobody's denying that, but it doesn't mean that people have the income to pay the high prices that these bands are charging now. The tickets are always going to be unaffordable to some people even if every seat in the house is $20, but when the cost is prohibitive, that hurts the band and alienates fans.

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

If they booked stadia in Europe, similar sized venues to the ones in the United States, the tour will flop like a pair of granny's breasts. The English for instance are not bothered about GN'R as they await Oasis's return. We don't have that white trash goateed wrestling sub-culture that America has, that provides the lion's share of Guns N' Roses crowds. Also, Europe is broke. Europe hasn't got two thre'penny bits to rub together.

You don't have white trash? LoL.  Yes you do. You even have inbreds.

Let's not forget that it was America that rejected fake GNR and forced their tour to flop. The English and the rest of Britain sold out all the arenas when they toured in Europe.

it looks to me like Europeans are suckers. There is s reason they are broke.  

• Like 1

I've actually laughed out loud at the continual posts that this tour is/will be a flop even in the face of all the facts posted showing otherwise. I mean.......why let logic and facts get in the way of "the sky is falling!" and "it's doomsday!" posts? :lol:

• Like 4

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Let's not forget that it was America that rejected fake GNR and forced their tour to flop. The English and the rest of Britain sold out all the arenas when they toured in Europe.

LOL

1 minute ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Correction, we do have a white trash but not the same type of white trash as America has. Our white trash would be more inclined to listen to rave or rap, than Guns.

Second correction, the last nugnr arena tour was far from sold out (I know, I was there).

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Correction, we do have a white trash but not the same type of white trash as America has. Our white trash would be more inclined to listen to rave or rap, than Guns.

Second correction, the last nugnr arena tour was far from sold out (I know, I was there).

Your white trash attends soccer matches every weekend. And of course your white trash is different than ours, but it is white trash nonetheless. And it was our white trash that rejected Nu GNR. The arenas didn't even fill up one quarter of the way. You guys pretty much filled all the arenas. The only cities in the U.S where GNR sold out were in the European influenced cities on both coasts. (NYC, etc) Axl pulled the plug after that show. 

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 1

I think you are mistaken us for the crazy Brazilians. The last arena tour was 80% sold out (if that!).

Our white trash attends football matches - certainly. But these people are not going to be attending a Guns N' Roses show, a band they probably have not heard of least of all like. America's white trash however likes nostalgic old fart rock bands like Guns and AC/DC. They are usually overweight goateed wwf wrestling fans. These will be the main target audience for Guns in the United States.

24 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

@DieselDaisy

Have you ever stepped outside UK? Because UK and the rest of Europe are 2 very different things.

Meaning what exactly? Europeans (continent) don't especially look at Britons like they are something special or whatever.quite the opposite. The way they behave on holidays....no comment needed.

44 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I've actually laughed out loud at the continual posts that this tour is/will be a flop even in the face of all the facts posted showing otherwise. I mean.......why let logic and facts get in the way of "the sky is falling!" and "it's doomsday!" posts? :lol:

"Toronto and New York are completely sold out. Here's proof."

"I don't know man... They need more than Slash and Duff to sell out any of these shows."

• Like 1

And now I remember why I get so frustrated reading this forum again...  Seriously?  Most of the shows are selling great without press and openers.  Bruce Springsteen sells out large arenas, 20+ thousand, every year, with little to no new material.  He even sells all the seats behind the stage, which is where I sat last time in the upper deck for $100.  Good shows are expensive these days.  And most bands don't play over 2 hours.  They'll either do press, add an opener, or do something to sell these shows out that need a little help, but they are selling fine.  Axl didn't hurt the image, they just weren't as popular.  Velvet Revolver played much smaller places than GNR did in the last 15 years.