Ticket Demand?

30 minutes ago, rolltide2014 said:

Okay that's kind of what I figured.  I'll have to check if they lowered the face value on any of the tickets for that show...anyone know if they ever do that if a show is struggling to sell like this one is?  Worst case I should be able to move quite a bit closer in the same level.

I know they've lowered the prices on tickets to the second Chicago show, so maybe you'll be in luck. Not sure if prices have dropped for any other cities or not. 

Now I am even more curious. Does Ticketmaster charge the band to sell their tickets or do they get all their money from the fees they charge? Is it a mixture of the two? Do the bands negotiate how much of the fee they eat and how much is passed onto the customer or does Ticketmaster just set the price according to how much they think they'll sell?

As LiveNation owns Ticketmaster would charging the band to use the Ticketmaster service be double dipping if the band is also uses LiveNation as their promoter? Surely if they charge them to provide the ticketing service they'd have to give them the option to use a different ticketing service? (assuming of course the band is charged). I suppose they can just add as an extra special item for using them as a promoter. 

Why is the music industry so shady?

4 hours ago, bigpoop said:

Ticketmaster has exclusive rights to so many venues that it wouldn't really be possible to book a big tour without using them.

Pearl Jam tried many years ago to do a tour without TM because of many of the reasons people have stated .Eventually they caved and starting using them again.Kudos to them for trying 

there are tons of tickets under face value for almost every show on Viagogo and Stubhub. often even in front of the stage. scalpers are probably not happy with this tour :lol:

second show in chicago you can get in for 25, and there is a chance you will end up in much better seats, because they will move you, so the stadium doesnt look so sad, silent and empty.

i think they miscalculated, and that they definitely underestimated promotion. instead of using the shows axl did with acdc as promo, they were silent and just confused regular people. regular people that would go for a few bucks with friends. but this way, if you are not lookng for it, you dont get any info and if you look as a casual fan and you see the prices... 

gnr are not The rolling stones, that wanted 800 with fees for floor and lover level in vegas, and they sold it very, very quickly. but thats stones and vegas. and they do promotion very well. like last year in the us? they started teasing with billboards, no info, just hinting billboards, speculation, hype, secret shows, people queing in front of random venues in case they show up, news coverage...  nicely done. lucky dip tickets for every show, expensive front seats of course, but otherwise affordable.

also, The who are playing santa barbara bowl in october around the desesrt trip. very nice venue for 4500 people. so very small, its their last tour etc, and they wanted 355 for first nine rows and 204 after that. sou you can have 10th row for 204. and you can get in for 64.

you can do a money grab, or you can play for as many people as possible. but gnr want to do both without no new music, no hype, and on huge stadiums. dont know if its bold or stupid.

its a reunion. they didnt play together for ages, why not do smaller shows for really big fans, get in the news and social media and build it from there? this is nonsense. 

You can get into Chicago for $44.50. You can sit on the floor for $250. I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Fuck people, it's 2016. There's not going to be $15 tickets for a show like this. Attendance is better than acceptable. A great point was made earlier. In KC, there was between 25-40,000, or the equivalent to 2-3 arena shows at Sprint Center. Say they only did one arena show in KC. THEN you would see the Joe Lunchbox fan get priced out of the show! Prices would have been like Vegas, and the scalpers would have bought them all up beforehand... So, I disagree with the opinion that prices are too high for this tour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

Prices would have been like Vegas, and the scalpers would have bought them all up beforehand... So, I disagree with the opinion that prices are too high for this tour.

You're in the minority on that one I'm afraid. I know a lot of people that can't or won't go due to the prices.. I wanted to go to like 5 shows but just can't do it. Here you are paying $308 bucks for good seats.. almost $200 for decent.. like $120 for crap and almost $100 for nosebleed binocular seats. How can anyone say those prices are justified? They are actually pretty close to Vegas. The Scalpers did buy up a ton of tickets and are now being forces to sell them below face value because the prices were to high in the first place. I love seeing scalpers get fucked..

I wish I waited on getting tickets myself and was able to score a deal.. 

1 hour ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

You can get into Chicago for $44.50. You can sit on the floor for $250. I don't think it's unreasonable at all. Fuck people, it's 2016. There's not going to be $15 tickets for a show like this. Attendance is better than acceptable. A great point was made earlier. In KC, there was between 25-40,000, or the equivalent to 2-3 arena shows at Sprint Center. Say they only did one arena show in KC. THEN you would see the Joe Lunchbox fan get priced out of the show! Prices would have been like Vegas, and the scalpers would have bought them all up beforehand... So, I disagree with the opinion that prices are too high for this tour.

Pretty much this.  Most of the dates are close to being sellouts and the ones that aren't, are still getting close to 40k or more per show.  Still a successful tour and better than 99% of bands could do in the U.S. in 2016.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

You're in the minority on that one I'm afraid. I know a lot of people that can't or won't go due to the prices.. I wanted to go to like 5 shows but just can't do it. Here you are paying $308 bucks for good seats.. almost $200 for decent.. like $120 for crap and almost $100 for nosebleed binocular seats. How can anyone say those prices are justified? They are actually pretty close to Vegas. The Scalpers did buy up a ton of tickets and are now being forces to sell them below face value because the prices were to high in the first place. I love seeing scalpers get fucked..

I wish I waited on getting tickets myself and was able to score a deal.. 

$45 for upper deck Chicago. I don't know what big headliner charges any less than that. And for $250 you can get within 10' of the band. The Stones played KC last year, and it was WAY pricier than GnR. I sat in the nosebleeds, cheapest I could get, and I think they were $75 each. 

3 minutes ago, Mansin Humanity said:

Is this not almost exactly what happened in April?

That's the first thing I thought of.  He pretty much describes what G N'R did when they first announced the tour...lol.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Fitha_whiskey said:

$45 for upper deck Chicago. I don't know what big headliner charges any less than that. And for $250 you can get within 10' of the band. The Stones played KC last year, and it was WAY pricier than GnR. I sat in the nosebleeds, cheapest I could get, and I think they were $75 each. 

Yeah $45 (before charges) for upper deck far end from the stage. In a football stadium that is a mile away.. I'd rather stay home. I don't know about Chicago but here it was $308 dollar a ticket to be ten feet from the band and pretty much the rest of the field not $250 which I still assume was before charges. It was also $308 dollars here for most of the lower bowl and even a lot of the second level bowl was $308. Upper deck nosebleeds farthest end from the stage was like $70 - $90 after charges.

The Stones are in a different stratosphere, can't compare to what they do.

I can't tell you how many people I know that are skipping because of the prices. There is no way anyone is going to convince me that these prices are normal. They could have lowered prices, sold more tickets and given more fans a chance to see them and they would have still raked in the money.

The dropped the prices significantly for the second Foxboro show. They are much more reasonable. 

Have to agree to disagree on this one man.

• Like 1

hey, we are all fans here and wish the best for the band, but to say how it is a tremendous success and how the sales could not be better and how the prices are justified... i am a fan, but i am also a realist.  and one more thing. what i certainly dont appreciate is being fucked with the prices. i work, i dont have all time in the world and when i buy tickets for a concert, i dont want to speculate. and i dont like buying 300 tickets to a stadium show, only to find out that a bloke next to me bought his the day of the show for 120, and we both bought them from TM. i dont care that they fucked up and expected better sales. move people that already bought tickets, but they should stop fucking with capacity and prices so much. 

4 minutes ago, troja said:

hey, we are all fans here and wish the best for the band, but to say how it is a tremendous success and how the sales could not be better and how the prices are justified... i am a fan, but i am also a realist.  and one more thing. what i certainly dont appreciate is being fucked with the prices. i work, i dont have all time in the world and when i buy tickets for a concert, i dont want to speculate. and i dont like buying 300 tickets to a stadium show, only to find out that a bloke next to me bought his the day of the show for 120, and we both bought them from TM. i dont care that they fucked up and expected better sales. move people that already bought tickets, but they should stop fucking with capacity and prices so much. 

I do agree with your point that the prices fluctuating like the stock market is bullshit, and that TicketBastard is a shit show. I do however think the original prices are fair and totally in line with and actually cheaper than some other major shows. 

Have you been to a big show like this recently that was a lot cheaper? (I'm not trying to be a dick- I'm just asking. Everything I've been to recently has been this much. Except VH last summer- that was dirt cheap. Like $25 lawn seats)...

i dont really want to debate the number that much, or compare that much. for some, its cheap, for some its not.i dont think you can do it like "hey, stones or whoever want outrageous prices so im gonna ask them too, because its trend".... i am just saying that i expected more sales and lower prices. you can say that other bands are the same. but i dont think so. last summer u2 were cheap, and they had some newer material they played. acdc were cheaper and they have a new album. stones werent unreasonable and every second could be their last. black sabbath are cheaper and they have new material and its their last tour. The Who, last tour and cheaper.. and those are just big gigs. for example jeff beck si playing with buddy guy this summer, smaller venues, but their show in LA hollywood bowl is almost sold out and you can get in for literally few dollars, and its not because they could not ask for more. 

RHCP are now in europe until fall, and then they will probably tour the new album in the us. and im sure they will be cheaper too, and btw, they are giving their new album with the ticket. and not just a download, but physical copy if you want. 

gnr are great, a lot of people are excited to see them, but come on. if they released some new songs, maybe. 

Just now, Fitha_whiskey said:

Cheapest ACDC tickets for upcoming Detroit show is $75. Yeah, arena vs stadium, but it's a huge arena. Once your nose is bleeding, it's bleeding...

I saw AC/DC 9th row in Foxboro.. I believe the tix were $108 bucks.. Seeing Guns 9th row in Foxboro in a few weeks. $308.

9 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I saw AC/DC 9th row in Foxboro.. I believe the tix were $108 bucks.. Seeing Guns 9th row in Foxboro in a few weeks. $308.

insane, they're gonna fuck our asses in south america. I'll pay whatever it costs though

9 minutes ago, Attlas said:

insane, they're gonna fuck our asses in south america. I'll pay whatever it costs though

Shouldn't be as bad as you think.  As long as G N'R get their 3 mil guarantee, they will be fine.  So the fact that you guys in SA pack as many fans as possible in a stadium, should make ticket prices somewhat reasonable, I would think.  lol.

15 hours ago, pinkforgirls said:

Ticket Monster is truly the worst and made worse by the fact there aren't competive ways to buy tickets. p.s. astroglide is better ;p

Typically it's the promoter that makes the decision to release seats, downgrade VIP seats to regular seats, offer discounts etc. TM doesn't make those decisions.

28 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Shouldn't be as bad as you think.  As long as G N'R get their 3 mil guarantee, they will be fine.  So the fact that you guys in SA pack as many fans as possible in a stadium, should make ticket prices somewhat reasonable, I would think.  lol.

I think the tickets in Mexico were cheaper too right?

22 hours ago, axlinkafayette said:

Man, that 2nd Chicago show looks like there are seats available everywhere

Indeed. I wonder if they are doing any discounts or special promotions to get into that show. 

I'm also curious to see what changes the setlist will have. I'm sure a lot of fans will attend both shows.