Ticket Demand?

ok, so i am watching the sales for a few days and  i watch second chicago a little bit more, because one of my friends could not go, so i offered my 300 ticket for sale here and on viagogo for 200 a few days back. 

what they´ve been doing the last 2 days is one of the most desperate attempts to fill a stadium i have ever seen. i am sorry, but this is bad for the band. it looks like they will be handing them out on the the streets for free. 

so summary is - the fucked almost every fan, because they buy tickets early, and it looks bad for the band. yea, total fucking succes as many here are trying to say. good for people who could not afford original prices. that just goes to show how badly the prices were set. 

Looks like even more field seats are available for the first Foxboro show on ticket master. Never mind the thousands on stub hub for this "sold out" show. There are tickets on stubhub for $150 that were $280 face. God to I feel like a fucking sucker for buying tickets at the beginning.. How can anyone still argue that these tickets weren't over priced? Never mind the second show that is empty and those tickets weren't even as expensive.

I just exchanged my Section 112 Row 24 ticket for a section 2 Row 15 ticket for the first Metlife show. So that's good, I guess. I'm sure I'll still feel like a sucker for paying $320 when the same seat gets knocked down to $100 for the second show but still, I'm glad I'll be on the floor. So if you see a better seat available, call and try to exchange, even if the stadium purports to have a "no exchange" policy. It might work.

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Looks like even more field seats are available for the first Foxboro show on ticket master. Never mind the thousands on stub hub for this "sold out" show. There are tickets on stubhub for $150 that were $280 face. God to I feel like a fucking sucker for buying tickets at the beginning.. How can anyone still argue that these tickets weren't over priced? Never mind the second show that is empty and those tickets weren't even as expensive.

For the Orlando show (which I am attending) they seemed to hold back the rear 25% of the floor seats and are slowly releasing them 4 rows at a time.  The lower bowl sections 105 and 137 they held back completely until a couple of weeks ago and have been releasing $100 and $150 seats a couple of rows at a time.  It seems that they still haven't released any tickets in section 148 (unless that is where all the radio contest winner free seats are).

A couple of days ago, they released the "partially obstructed" side stage seats in all levels.  It is crazy that they are the same price as the non-obstructed seats were that are right next to them.

It seems like the second level and upper deck are sold out with the exception of the partially obstructed seats.  Lower bowl and floor probably has 2500 tickets left combined when they release them all.

The appearances of a ton of sales for the 2nd Chicago show (before the 50% off) is probably them doing the same thing they did for the KC show. I can't say for sure that they really did this, but it appeared that they blocked off seats in the lower areas for the people they were moving from the upper areas they closed.

Travel zoo had August 3rd seats available in Dallas at 50% off. Mainly 400 section (at the top) or 100 section lower seating in the back, so I can't tell if the show is selling well or not bc they haven't shown a seat map for that date yet, you still just search best available so either it's doing really well or they are doing bad and starting to release tickets at lower cost. I'm going to hold out and hope they release some better seats with better deals closer to the date...however $23 isn't bad for the show especially if they have that video board turned on in the middle of the stadium 

I'm trying to formulate my take-home message from all of this, so would be interested in what people think.

1. GNR aren't primarily a stadium band anymore. They can sell out stadiums in a few markets, but in other markets

should be playing arenas (which they would sell out).

2. The ticket prices are too high and need to be reduced. That seems to be clear. While there is a demand for GNR, I think

their managers and advisors thought that the public would pay anything to see the reunited GNR, which they obviously won't.

3. Axl probably doesn't care that much about ticket sales. During the nu-GNR era he seemed very happy to play to half empty

much smaller venues.

4. With GNR it's again unclear what is causing the lack of sales. There is no promotion (very different from how Duff and Slash handled

their post-GNR careers). There is no new music. There are no interviews or tv appearances. There's basically multiple things which could

be influencing sales.

5. I am unclear whether slow sales, followed by deep discounts, damages the band's brand. I would have thought that it would be better

for PR purposes to have cheaper tickets and sell them out straight away.

1 hour ago, axl666 said:

I'm trying to formulate my take-home message from all of this, so would be interested in what people think.

1. GNR aren't primarily a stadium band anymore. They can sell out stadiums in a few markets, but in other markets

2. The ticket prices are too high and need to be reduced. That seems to be clear. While there is a demand for GNR, I think

their managers and advisors thought that the public would pay anything to see the reunited GNR, which they obviously won't.

3. Axl probably doesn't care that much about ticket sales. During the nu-GNR era he seemed very happy to play to half empty

much smaller venues.

4. With GNR it's again unclear what is causing the lack of sales. There is no promotion (very different from how Duff and Slash handled

their post-GNR careers). There is no new music. There are no interviews or tv appearances. There's basically multiple things which could

be influencing sales.

5. I am unclear whether slow sales, followed by deep discounts, damages the band's brand. I would have thought that it would be better

for PR purposes to have cheaper tickets and sell them out straight away.

GnR never were a stadium band in the states. The only stadiums they played were when they co-headlined with Metallica. Though I think they could have easily sold out these stadiums if the tickets were more reasonable and the lineup was different. To be honest those April shows weren't as great as a lot of people here say. Maybe for die hards but I know a lot of people that weren't that impressed with what they saw and those were the shows everyone was tuning into. Hell, I was at one. it was a fucking awesome time and I enjoyed almost every minute of it but the actual performance itself wasn't that great. The have improved so much for this stadium tour though.  I know a lot of people that were 100% tuned into this thing and now aren't going due to either the price, lineup or videos they saw and I am trying to change their mind. Haven't been having any luck. A lot of these people were big Guns fans back in the day too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

GnR never were a stadium band in the states. The only stadiums they played were when they co-headlined with Metallica. Though I think they could have easily sold out these stadiums if the tickets were more reasonable and the lineup was different. To be honest those April shows weren't as great as a lot of people here say. Maybe for die hards but I know a lot of people that weren't that impressed with what they saw and those were the shows everyone was tuning into. Hell, I was at one. it was a fucking awesome time and I enjoyed almost every minute of it but the actual performance itself wasn't that great. The have improved so much for this stadium tour though.  I know a lot of people that were 100% tuned into this thing and now aren't going due to either the price, lineup or videos they saw and I am trying to change their mind. Haven't been having any luck. A lot of these people were big Guns fans back in the day too.

Oh, I don't know about that....I think they were going to be and probably could have been a stadium band in the States.  Why?  They played sold out shows on back to back nights at several of the bigger sheds in the spring/early summer of 1991 with only two albums out at that point (AFD and Lies).   Alpiine Valley sold out two shows and the capacity there is 35000, Deer Creek sold out two shows with a capaicty of about 21000 at the time.  So, they clearly could have played and headlined stadiums BEFORE UYI even came out.  

The problem they are having now is the ticket price quite honestly.  They over-valued the demand of this tour in stadiums and set the ticket prices way too high originally.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

They played Joe Robbie Stadium in Miami Gardens on 12/31/91 without Metallica (Soundgarden opened).  I was there.  It wasn't completely sold out but it was close.  I remember some empty seats in the upper deck in the very far corners.  What I remember most is that they actually started on time.  Paradise City closed the show at midnight for New Years.

5 hours ago, axl666 said:

I think these would be either/or. Not do both. They have enough demand to either lower prices and play stadiums or leave prices the same (or possibly raise them even in some areas) and play large arenas (at least this go round).

Lowering prices and playing arenas wouldn't necessarily be better for fans as that would up the demand and we'd have a lot more seats scooped up to sell at outrageous prices in the aftermarket. The unbalanced demand sucks for the scalpers.

I think some day soon I will try to organize my thoughts on this topic and get them written down to see what others who find this topic interesting think.

1 hour ago, sanity_lost said:

I think these would be either/or. Not do both. They have enough demand to either lower prices and play stadiums or leave prices the same (or possibly raise them even in some areas) and play large arenas (at least this go round).

Lowering prices and playing arenas wouldn't necessarily be better for fans as that would up the demand and we'd have a lot more seats scooped up to sell at outrageous prices in the aftermarket. The unbalanced demand sucks for the scalpers.

I think some day soon I will try to organize my thoughts on this topic and get them written down to see what others who find this topic interesting think.

These are good points. I'd be very interested if you would like to elaborate on what you are thinking. 

i can understand the problem. with other bands, you have data, statistics and i think that a lot of thinking goes into setting the ticket price. but gnr is a reunion without new material. you just dont know how people will react. yes, at first theres gonna be hype, its a big thing, still a lot of fans etc., but it is very hard to guess how the situation will evolve. and the first shows are not a good indicator obviously. 

so they didnt quite get the price people are willing to pay. i can understand that. but what i dont understand is the strategy afterwards. people say that it is free market, free capitalistic economy etc. and its nomal that TM is changing prices twice a day. well then we dont need TM, we can have a service where we will auction these things. then you wont get to cencerts that everybody wants, because it will cost you 20k, and some shows will be for five cents. 

what i think is doable is what few bands did and what RHCP are doing right now in europe. they sell personalized tickets. there is a name on the ticket and you present an id. limit is four or six tickets per person. in case of emergency, when you really cant go, it can be sorted out and tickets are passed onto another fan. that is getting closer to be relatively fair.

this way, everybody knows gnr are not a big seller, they are dumping tickets, giving them away, closing sections.. and by that, fucking with people that could not know that it will go from 310 to 100. people bought the tickets this time. next time? no one will believe the hype and nobody will buy the tickets right away. so they have bad data now, and the will have bad data the next time and the will make mistakes again. and that hurts the brand.

and btw. i really am a fan, and the are a really big band. but 3mil a concert as somebody said? for a reunion with incomplete lineup and nothing new? thats rolling stones money. come on. 

One thing to throw into the pricing discussion.  The promoter is trying to maximize revenue for each show.  They have to pay the band $3 million (if that is accurate) plus the expenses to set up and tear down the stage.  They also have to pay the rental to the venue and security etc.

If they priced tickets to average $75 and sold 60,000 it would be the same exact $4.5 million revenue as averaging $150 and only selling 30,000.  Their goal is to sell as many tickets as possible at the higher price point.  Once the lower price point is sold out, that is the max revenue they can get.  Alternatively, they can price it high (like they have), sell as many as possible and then add revenue by lowering prices at the end which is what it seems they are doing.

With respect to playing arenas instead of stadiums, the tour wouldn't have happened if they did that assuming the band demanded $3 million per show.  The band is doing the same thing weather it is an arena, stadium or high school gym.  The prices would have had to be insanely high.  In most arenas with an end stage setup, it would be sold out at around half the attendance of the poorly attended stadium shows.  For the same $4.5 million revenue, tickets would have to AVERAGE $300 if you can sell 15,000 tickets.

If the band was willing to perform for significantly less per show then arenas would have been the way to go with easy sellouts of every show.

8 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Oh, I don't know about that....I think they were going to be and probably could have been a stadium band in the States.  Why?  They played sold out shows on back to back nights at several of the bigger sheds in the spring/early summer of 1991 with only two albums out at that point (AFD and Lies).   Alpiine Valley sold out two shows and the capacity there is 35000, Deer Creek sold out two shows with a capaicty of about 21000 at the time.  So, they clearly could have played and headlined stadiums BEFORE UYI even came out.  

The problem they are having now is the ticket price quite honestly.  They over-valued the demand of this tour in stadiums and set the ticket prices way too high originally.  

Completely agree.

• Like 1

The problem is that it isn't a reunion so they haven't been able to bill it as one. I've seen tons of ads that say "guns n roses are back" or "guns n roses is coming to your town". 

To to the not so up to speed, super causal fan, what's there to say this isn't the same lineup from a few years back?

and yeah stadiums were crazy from the get go. The amount of tickets they have sold is still crazy good considering we are talking about stadiums though. A 2/3 full stadium is a HUGE amount of ticket sales.

8 hours ago, tsinindy said:

Yes, totally.  They played 2 nights in Philly (arena) every time they came as well as most other "big" markets.  And both nights would always sell out.  If you're selling out 2 arena nights that means you can pack stadiums, especially if you reduce the ticket prices a little to reflect stadium prices.

And they did play a few stadiums on their own, if I remember correctly.

7 hours ago, tsinindy said:
7 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Another great/insightful thread.  I'm regretting the waste of time from my decision to participate in another board over this board when I rejoined the Guns online world.

Guns headlined American stadiums both prior to and following the release of UYI.  They headlined Hershey Stadium before UYI.  I should know.  I was there.  Capacity about 30,000.  Guns continued to headline American stadiums the following year after UYI.  Guns received top-billing on that '92 American leg and closed the show at each stop.

Guns is now headlining football stadiums 25 years later and counting since the band last released original material.  While Slash, Duff, and Izzy have released a mountain of material in that quarter century, Axl released 15 songs of original material under the Guns name.  Who has listened to Axl's music outside of crazies like us on these boards?  Not many, judging by the sales and charting numbers.  What artist or band attempts to headline American football stadiums 25 years after its last album of original music? 

This tour's promoter is marketing the tour via advertising in tour cities.  The band itself is marketing the tour via social media.  Axl indirectly marketed the tour simply by performing with AC/DC--every article or mention about that tour that I saw referenced the Guns tour.  So, everyone is aware of the Guns tour except persons who both do not live in a tour city and do not use social media.  Even those persons still could be aware of the tour if they read entertainment news.  Marketing is not the problem.

I literally know one person who is going to a 3/5 reunion show.  And she is, at best, a casual fan of the band.  I highly doubt she owns any Guns material.  But she does have significant disposable income and lives in one of the tour cities.  Why are none of the people who went with me to Guns shows and other Guns shows with others pre-'91 not buying tickets for this tour?  I haven't taken a survey and I'm not in contact with all of them, but I've seen their posts on social media.  It's simple, and mirrors some of the comments in this thread.  Here is how I would categorize the reasons I see most, and in descending order of frequency:

1.  It is not a reunion (even though Axl himself called it a reunion);

2.  They're not paying these prices;

3.  They're not paying these prices to hear the same songs they already saw one or more times 25 years ago;

4.  They're not paying these prices to see Slash, Duff, and Axl with two other guys;

5.  They know Axl became a diva 25 years, and nothing he does during this tour or in the future will change their minds;

6.  They know Axl single-handedly ruined one of their favorite bands, so they wouldn't pay a nickel to see him do anything;

7.  They consider Axl a washed-up mockery who can no longer sing;

8.  They're not stuck in the past, so Guns is irrelevant to them because they're a relic of the past who haven't done anything in 25 years; and

9.  They view the whole Chinese Democracy saga as a debacle--as bloated and ridiculous as they consider the man who made it even if they've never even heard a track from it.

So, take your pick.  But the point is once diehard fans are aware of the tour, and they're not paying these prices unless it were an actual reunion or the band acted like a band and released music.  The remainder have no interest and will never have any interest because they can't stand Axl since '91 and that will never change.  Guns rep's fleeced the promoter.  The promoter is fleecing the fans, many or most of whom have school-age children.  Guns is set as long as they perform each show.  While the band likely would like to see a virtually full stadium every night like Chicago night one, it's up to the promoter to set prices and develop a pricing strategy to turn an ever-larger profit for Live Nation.  If the band is receiving a fixed amount for each show, which appears to be the case, blame the promoter for the initial price-point and subsequent repricing strategy to turn an even greater profit for undersold stadiums.  Without new material, this entire thread becomes irrelevant if there is another go-round in America.  Without new material that rock fans like, Guns will be touring county fairs with Scott Stapp the next 'merican go-round.  The band's most grievous error, in terms of ticket sales, was not releasing kickass new material or a new tune prior to or in conjunction with the tour--something that said "we're back and we can still bring it!"  I'm certain, based on my circle, that some of my friends would've overlooked the "not a reunion" problem or "I'm not taking it up the ass" price problem if Guns had released something that rocked prior to or in conjunction with the tour.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JustanUrchin said:

Another great/insightful thread.  I'm regretting the waste of time from my decision to participate in another board over this board when I rejoined the Guns online world.

Guns headlined American stadiums both prior to and following the release of UYI.  They headlined Hershey Stadium before UYI.  I should know.  I was there.  Capacity about 30,000.  Guns continued to headline American stadiums the following year after UYI.  Guns received top-billing on that '92 American leg and closed the show at each stop.

Guns is now headlining football stadiums 25 years later and counting since the band last released original material.  While Slash, Duff, and Izzy have released a mountain of material in that quarter century, Axl released 15 songs of original material under the Guns name.  Who has listened to Axl's music outside of crazies like us on these boards?  Not many, judging by the sales and charting numbers.  What artist or band attempts to headline American football stadiums 25 years after its last album of original music? 

This tour's promoter is marketing the tour via advertising in tour cities.  The band itself is marketing the tour via social media.  Axl indirectly marketed the tour simply by performing with AC/DC--every article or mention about that tour that I saw referenced the Guns tour.  So, everyone is aware of the Guns tour except persons who both do not live in a tour city and do not use social media.  Even those persons still could be aware of the tour if they read entertainment news.  Marketing is not the problem.

I literally know one person who is going to a 3/5 reunion show.  And she is, at best, a casual fan of the band.  I highly doubt she owns any Guns material.  But she does have significant disposable income and lives in one of the tour cities.  Why are none of the people who went with me to Guns shows and other Guns shows with others pre-'91 not buying tickets for this tour?  I haven't taken a survey and I'm not in contact with all of them, but I've seen their posts on social media.  It's simple, and mirrors some of the comments in this thread.  Here is how I would categorize the reasons I see most, and in descending order of frequency:

1.  It is not a reunion (even though Axl himself called it a reunion);

2.  They're not paying these prices;

3.  They're not paying these prices to hear the same songs they already saw one or more times 25 years ago;

4.  They're not paying these prices to see Slash, Duff, and Axl with two other guys;

5.  They know Axl became a diva 25 years, and nothing he does during this tour or in the future will change their minds;

6.  They know Axl single-handedly ruined one of their favorite bands, so they wouldn't pay a nickel to see him do anything;

7.  They consider Axl a washed-up mockery who can no longer sing;

8.  They're not stuck in the past, so Guns is irrelevant to them because they're a relic of the past who haven't done anything in 25 years; and

9.  They view the whole Chinese Democracy saga as a debacle--as bloated and ridiculous as they consider the man who made it even if they've never even heard a track from it.

So, take your pick.  But the point is once diehard fans are aware of the tour, and they're not paying these prices unless it were an actual reunion or the band acted like a band and released music.  The remainder have no interest and will never have any interest because they can't stand Axl since '91 and that will never change.  Guns rep's fleeced the promoter.  The promoter is fleecing the fans, many or most of whom have school-age children.  Guns is set as long as they perform each show.  While the band likely would like to see a virtually full stadium every night like Chicago night one, it's up to the promoter to set prices and develop a pricing strategy to turn an ever-larger profit for Live Nation.  If the band is receiving a fixed amount for each show, which appears to be the case, blame the promoter for the initial price-point and subsequent repricing strategy to turn an even greater profit for undersold stadiums.  Without new material, this entire thread becomes irrelevant if there is another go-round in America.  Without new material that rock fans like, Guns will be touring county fairs with Scott Stapp the next 'merican go-round.  The band's most grievous error, in terms of ticket sales, was not releasing kickass new material or a new tune prior to or in conjunction with the tour--something that said "we're back and we can still bring it!"  I'm certain, based on my circle, that some of my friends would've overlooked the "not a reunion" problem or "I'm not taking it up the ass" price problem if Guns had released something that rocked prior to or in conjunction with the tour.

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm sure there are some AFD era fans that feel the way you described some fans feeling.  But I guarantee you that the true die hard fans are the ones paying to see them on this tour and the ones that are packing stadiums.  They're also getting plenty of casual fans going to the shows as well.  That's the only way you can sell 60,000 tickets for night 1 in Chicago and still (most likely) get at least another 30k-40k on a second night. 

Even the the markets that have not sold well so far are bringing over 40k per night.  That's enough to pack 2 to 3 arenas.  So the facts simply do not support your opinion.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

You're entitled to your opinion and I'm sure there are some AFD era fans that feel the way you described some fans feeling.  But I guarantee you that the true die hard fans are the ones paying to see them on this tour and the ones that are packing stadiums.  They're also getting plenty of casual fans going to the shows as well.  That's the only way you can sell 60,000 tickets for night 1 in Chicago and still (most likely) get at least another 30k-40k on a second night. 

Even the the markets that have not sold well so far are bringing over 40k per night.  That's enough to pack 2 to 3 arenas.  So the facts simply do not support your opinion.

^ Agree. I'm a die hard fan from way back when and am flying from AK to San Francisco to attend my first GNR show....even though it's not a "full reunion." Having Slash, Axl and Duff  perform together again for me is enough for me to go broke. It's absolutely worth it to me!!! :)

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

Which opinion?  I began my post with facts, then summarized the opinion of friends and friends-of-friends on social media.  These are people who have been to Guns shows, and are not buying tickets for this tour.  Unless you are disputing what friends and friends-of-friends are posting about the tour and my opinion of the only thing that would change their mind about this (or future) tours, which you have no basis to refute, then you are twisting facts regarding my friends and friends-of-friends social media posts and attempting it to make my opinion.  I will be seeing the band this month, but wish at least some of my old school friends were going.  I've summarized the reasons why they are not.  You may not like their reasons, but those are the reasons and they mirror some of the comments of others in this post.

1 minute ago, JustanUrchin said:

Which opinion?  I began my post with facts, then summarized the opinion of friends and friends-of-friends on social media.  These are people who have been to Guns shows, and are not buying tickets for this tour.  Unless you are disputing what friends and friends-of-friends are posting about the tour and my opinion of the only thing that would change their mind about this (or future) tours, which you have no basis to refute, then you are twisting facts regarding my friends and friends-of-friends social media posts and attempting it to make my opinion.  I will be seeing the band this month, but wish at least some of my old school friends were going.  I've summarized the reasons why they are not.  You may not like their reasons, but those are the reasons and they mirror some of the comments of others in this post.

That's fine but based on ticket sales, the majority of G N' R fans, both die-hards and casual fans, don't share your circle of friends' opinions.  It's usually an angry minority that screams the loudest...whether it's your friends or random people you see leaving comments via social media.  And G N' R have silenced most of those fans since they began the tour....you still see some negative comments here or there but they are usually drowned out by the hundreds of positive comments from the fans that actually go to the shows.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Kasanova King said:

That's fine but based on ticket sales, the majority of G N' R fans, both die-hards and casual fans, don't share your circle of friends' opinions.  It's usually an angry minority that screams the loudest...whether it's your friends or random people you see leaving comments via social media.  And G N' R have silenced most of those fans since they began the tour....you still see some negative comments here or there but they are usually drowned out by the hundreds of positive comments from the fans that actually go to the shows.

My friends are not “angry” about a musical act whose albums they once bought and whose shows they once attended.  And the posts of friends-of-friends that show in my feed don’t seem “angry.”  They’re no different in tone than any similar subject—tickets to other shows, other artists, or sporting events.  They only time that I see “angry” comments are in the Guns forums and if I scroll through Guns social media posts about the tour.  And many of those comments seem to be misdirected anger at other fans—rather than at the source of their anger.

You stated that the “facts” don’t support my “opinion” when you don’t know my friends or see the posts of friends-of-friends about the subject.  Their posts over the past six months are facts--they made the posts.  I summarized their reasons into a list.  The bottom part of the list shows that there is a group within my circle who will never buy another ticket to a Guns show.  The top of my list (which are the most frequent comments I’ve read) shows that there are others in my circle who likely would be buying tickets if one of two things happened:  it was an actual reunion or the band had contemporaneously released material that rocked.  The reasons that I summarized mirrored some of the reasons others posted in this thread, so it is not isolated to my circle.  Taken as a whole, how many tens or hundreds of thousands in America are not buying a ticket for this tour because they don’t consider it a reunion, the prices are too steep for them, or would buy a ticket had the band released something that they hadn’t already seen one or more times a quarter century ago?

I’ll be seeing the band this month, and am excited by what I see from the Periscope streams.  I’m also one to believe that they will release new material in the near future, so I look forward to it.  But all except one within my circle are not buying tickets, and some of them likely would have but won’t for the reasons listed.  And that, essentially, is the topic of this thread.  Of course current fans want to see packed football stadiums, but, to me, 40,000 in one stadium and 60,000 in another and so on is still impressive given 25 years of history.