Aerosmith "Music From Another Dimension" was underrated.

Towelie

23 hours ago, Towelie said:

Seriously? I thought Just Push Play was utterly dreadful. Songs like the reggae-infused title track and Trip Hoppin are the complete nadir of their career.

I love it sincerely and deeply! Super catchy choruses, flawless ballads, and just generally an immensely FUN album to listen to. At least that's how I see it.

As for Music From Another Dimension, there is some good stuff there, just not enough, and the bulk of it is simply meh. I don't outright dislike it overall but I can't find much to be excited about. My main issue with it are all the underwhelming ballads. As far as I'm concerned between Permanent Vacation and Just Push Play an Aerosmith ballad is a guarantee of quality; every single one is brilliant. Even here the only truly high point is a ballad (What Could Have Been Love), but unfortunately the others are much weaker.

1 minute ago, GivenToFly said:

I love it sincerely and deeply! Super catchy choruses, flawless ballads, and just generally an immensely FUN album to listen to. At least that's how I see it.

As for Music From Another Dimension, there is some good stuff there, just not enough, and the bulk of it is simply meh. I don't outright dislike it overall but I can't find much to be excited about. My main issue with it are all the underwhelming ballads. As far as I'm concerned between Permanent Vacation and Just Push Play an Aerosmith ballad is a guarantee of quality; every single one is brilliant. Even here the only truly high point is a ballad (What Could Have Been Love), but unfortunately the others are much weaker.

I actually think the strongest cuts on Music From Another Dimension are the rockers. But in terms of ballads, Another Last Goodbye and We All Fall Down are better than any ballad on JPP.

It was like tuning into Radio Aerosmith in the 70s or something. I wasn't like a Aerosmith album now. It seemed very nostalgic and retro but the songs weren't all really commercial. There was a Sly and the family stone vibe. Very loose and eceletic. So I enjoyed the album but it wasn't Aerosmith's Back in Black or anything. 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to LOVE aerosmith, and still like them a lot. But the last really good album they had was get a grip. Yes 9 lives had some good stuff on it as well, but they had lost their punch by that point. Everything after 9 lives....nope. 

Get a Grip was the LAST time that band really fucking rocked. Not ROCKS like rocking, but still holding their own. Honestly Eat the rich was the last rocking song that band ever did. After that they did become a ballad and pop/rock type band. Yes you could say they were that way ever since Perminate Vacation, and you wouldn't be wrong. But at least they also had some really good rocking songs to go with the fluff, like Rag Doll. Yes rag doll might be a popish type rock song, but it still has some grimey blues to it. By the time you get to 9 lives, that was gone. Falling in love is so hard on the knees is a damn over produced POP song, nothing rock about it. That's the way that whole damn album is, and everything after it (except for bobo). That's why I don't know how some folks can say 9 lives is better than get a grip? No way, no fucking way. Eat the rich alone OWNS that whole damn album. Yes I so like hole in my soul, kiss your past goodbye, full circle, and even pink. But I still say that's a ballad and pop album, not a rock album.

As for the topic at hand, I heard some of it, and it did nothing for me. Honestly I would take Done with mirrors, might in the ruts, and rock in a hard place over dimesion and just push play. Not even close really.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I used to LOVE aerosmith, and still like them a lot. But the last really good album they had was get a grip. Yes 9 lives had some good stuff on it as well, but they had lost their punch by that point. Everything after 9 lives....nope. 

Get a Grip was the LAST time that band really fucking rocked. Not ROCKS like rocking, but still holding their own. Honestly Eat the rich was the last rocking song that band ever did. After that they did become a ballad and pop/rock type band. Yes you could say they were that way ever since Perminate Vacation, and you wouldn't be wrong. But at least they also had some really good rocking songs to go with the fluff, like Rag Doll. Yes rag doll might be a popish type rock song, but it still has some grimey blues to it. By the time you get to 9 lives, that was gone. Falling in love is so hard on the knees is a damn over produced POP song, nothing rock about it. That's the way that whole damn album is, and everything after it (except for bobo). That's why I don't know how some folks can say 9 lives is better than get a grip? No way, no fucking way. Eat the rich alone OWNS that whole damn album. Yes I so like hole in my soul, kiss your past goodbye, full circle, and even pink. But I still say that's a ballad and pop album, not a rock album.

As for the topic at hand, I heard some of it, and it did nothing for me. Honestly I would take Done with mirrors, might in the ruts, and rock in a hard place over dimesion and just push play. Not even close really.

There some killer b-sides from the NL / JPP / MAFD eras.

Edited by The Real McCoy

I like this album, I've got 7 tracks on my phone and it's a nice blend. I almost forget it's Aerosmith which I think is a good thing, Perry is also playing his ass off, or is it the other guy? 

I feel like it's a nice album to put on the stereo on a saturday afternoon and drinking cocktails. 

2 minutes ago, wasted said:

I like this album, I've got 7 tracks on my phone and it's a nice blend. I almost forget it's Aerosmith which I think is a good thing, Perry is also playing his ass off, or is it the other guy? 

I feel like it's a nice album to put on the stereo on a saturday afternoon and drinking cocktails. 

If you have the version with "Shakey Ground" on it as a bonus track, "Rock In a Hard Place" era guitarist Rick DuFay is on there as a guest.

9 hours ago, The Real McCoy said:

There some killer b-sides from the NL / JPP / MAFD eras.

I gave them a listen, I like parts and pieces of all of them, but as whole... Not really. Yes musically they are MUCH closer to what I was talking about earlier, but they still seem very over produced. Same goes for the Dimension album, it just doesn't "sound" right to me, for whatever that's worth. Its like these tracks and later albums were recored with pro tools or something. Especially Tyler's vocals, they just don't sound all that good to me anymore. They sound extremely produced. I know we give Axl Shit for the production on CD, but honestly I'd take that over these any day of the week. CD is clearly over produced as well, but it sounds more vibrant, where these tracks just don't. 

If you want my honest to God opinion on Aerosmith, I think the well has run dry. They don't have anything interesting to say musically or lyrically anymore. Sure they could have outside writers give them songs, but that's just lame. But living a millionaire life has taken a toll on them, they just don't relate to the average man very good anymore imo. Its bound to happen, every musician eventually runs out of things to say musically and lyrically imo. Even guys like Bob Dylan. I don't think he's wrote a great song since the 70s. Aerosmith hasn't written a great song since the 90s, unless you count jaded (which I dont) but that was their last BIG song, and when was that? 2002?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I gave them a listen, I like parts and pieces of all of them, but as whole... Not really. Yes musically they are MUCH closer to what I was talking about earlier, but they still seem very over produced. Same goes for the Dimension album, it just doesn't "sound" right to me, for whatever that's worth. Its like these tracks and later albums were recored with pro tools or something. Especially Tyler's vocals, they just don't sound all that good to me anymore. They sound extremely produced. I know we give Axl Shit for the production on CD, but honestly I'd take that over these any day of the week. CD is clearly over produced as well, but it sounds more vibrant, where these tracks just don't. 

If you want my honest to God opinion on Aerosmith, I think the well has run dry. They don't have anything interesting to say musically or lyrically anymore. Sure they could have outside writers give them songs, but that's just lame. But living a millionaire life has taken a toll on them, they just don't relate to the average man very good anymore imo. Its bound to happen, every musician eventually runs out of things to say musically and lyrically imo. Even guys like Bob Dylan. I don't think he's wrote a great song since the 70s. Aerosmith hasn't written a great song since the 90s, unless you count jaded (which I dont) but that was their last BIG song, and when was that? 2002?

And a lot of the songs from MFAD date as far back as the "Pump" era. So, it really seems to be that they cleared out a ton of stuff from the vaults, but there's still a ton more stuff sitting in there that most people have never heard.

I just hope that we get a "Pandora's Box II" at some point.

• Like 1

I have Pandora's Box, and it was cool. I'm not sure that enough quality is left from the later years though, imo. They have 3 albums for the 70s, that I can listen to start to finish (get your wings, toys, and Rocks). Those are what I consider to be the their best 3 albums. After that they had 2 or 3 good songs per album (at least) but none that I could listen to start to finish. Even Get a grip, which is my favorite post 70s album, still has a fair amount of filler imo. I know more people prefer Pump, and even that one has some songs that just don't do much for me. Yes the post 70s era probably has more hits than the early era, but the early era produced some great deep cut tracks. Songs like Chip away the stone, no suprise, get the lead out, jail bait, lightning strikes, nobody's fault, I could go on and on. They are all songs that you won't find on a greatest hits album, but they kick so much more ass than pretty much anything post 1987.

Honestly I am a pretty big fan of Done with mirrors. I sorta feel like it's either the last of the early era or the first of the NEW era. I feel like it's closer to the 70s stuff, than the later era. The only problem with that album is that it doesn't have a true HIT on it. But besides that, as far as a solid start to finish album, it's actually pretty solid. Let the music, shame on you, my fist your face, etc are all decent and solid album tracks. 

Thoughts?

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

Hell yeah Mirrors, Ruts, and Hard Place are better than MFAD. Holy shit was this last album a disappointment for me. You're pretty much spot on imo, Mikey.

I actually love a lot of "pop" Aerosmith. The post-Mirrors albums have some great songs. I think Pump and Permanent Vacation kick ass and Get a Grip is pretty solid overall (Crazy, Crying, and Amazing are great pop rock ballads imo and Eat the Rich is amazing). Everything since has been such a mixed bag. A few ok songs since (Full Circle is cool in my book), but this last album proved to me they can't produce what I want them to anymorew. I was so hyped for it. I still think Street Jesus and Out Go the Lights are some of the best songs they've had in 20 years and I like a couple of others are good but, overall,  it was a mess. You have pop crap like the Carrie Underwood song and the Diane Warren part 2 song and disjointed messes like Luv xxx and Legendery Child. Throw in a couple of forgettable Joe Perry sung throwaways and you get a clunker. Nine Lives and JPP are pretty bad too save for a few songs and parts. Bobo is a great covers album I have to say

I still think they are great live, loved the 2 shows I saw and would see them again. They have nothing to prove, anymore anyways. Their old material cements their legacy but it's too bad they couldn't crank out one more great rock album.

Edited by ZoSoRose

2 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I have Pandora's Box, and it was cool. I'm not sure that enough quality is left from the later years though, imo. They have 3 albums for the 70s, that I can listen to start to finish (get your wings, toys, and Rocks). Those are what I consider to be the their best 3 albums. After that they had 2 or 3 good songs per album (at least) but none that I could listen to start to finish. Even Get a grip, which is my favorite post 70s album, still has a fair amount of filler imo. I know more people prefer Pump, and even that one has some songs that just don't do much for me. Yes the post 70s era probably has more hits than the early era, but the early era produced some great deep cut tracks. Songs like Chip away the stone, no suprise, get the lead out, jail bait, lightning strikes, nobody's fault, I could go on and on. They are all songs that you won't find on a greatest hits album, but they kick so much more ass than pretty much anything post 1987.

Honestly I am a pretty big fan of Done with mirrors. I sorta feel like it's either the last of the early era or the first of the NEW era. I feel like it's closer to the 70s stuff, than the later era. The only problem with that album is that it doesn't have a true HIT on it. But besides that, as far as a solid start to finish album, it's actually pretty solid. Let the music, shame on you, my fist your face, etc are all decent and solid album tracks. 

Thoughts?

There's 4 CDs worth of outtakes from "Permanent Vacation" alone, and at least a disc each from Pump - JPP. So, who knows.

I love RIAP and DWM. Two extremely underrated albums.

my track list (9 tracks as in the old days)

1. luv XXX

2. Oh yeah

3. out go the lights

4. legendary child

5. what could have been love

6. Street Jesus

7. lover alot 

8. freedom fighter

9. something

I consider the rest of the tracks to be commercial X factor crap.

Don't underestimate these 9 tracks, they have very great riffs and many of them are produced by jack douglas who also produced their legendary "rocks" and "toys" albums. This edited down version is one of my favorite aerosmith albums.