Aerosmith "Music From Another Dimension" was underrated.

Towelie

I remember this album getting some pretty harsh reviews when it came out in 2012. I returned to it a few days ago and it's a lot better than it was given credit for.

It's a much better album than Just Push Play, I just feel the excessive amount of tracks on the record (17 songs is a large amount to digest) made people gloss over some pretty great material. Granted, there is the odd stinker (Beautiful and the sappy Carrie Underwood duet detract from the overall proceedings). I made my own 11 track version which I personally feel is all killer, no filler:

1. Luv XXX

2. Oh Yeah

3. Legendary Child

4. Out Go The Lights 

5. We All Fall Down

6. Lover Alot

7. Street Jesus

8. Oasis In The Night

9. Sunny Side Of Love

10. Something

11. Another Last Goodbye

Edited by Towelie

The thing about like...blues based rock groups in that Stones mould is that, really and truly speaking, they're kind of about parody.  Those sort of double entendre, wise-crackey Stones lyrics that are sort of like...y'know, they take clear pointers from the blues, they're kind of parody, Brown Sugar for instance can't be anything but a parody, can it?  And this is what gives Aerosmith, by definition, something that was never gonna stay cool forever, they're kind of a parody of a parody of a parody.  I mean it's just too easy, isn't it?

Heres Aerosmith lyrics in a nutshell, talk about sex, add in references to Americana like...i dunno, a 38 special on a saturday night or whatever, throw in some double entendre and some sleaze imagery (a strip club or a prozzie standing under a neon beer light) and there you go, Aerosmith lyrics.  The Stones lasted at it cuz theres an originality there but after a point, at least with Aerosmith, it just becomes intolerably hackneyed.  They should've chucked it in around the time of like Crazy and Cryin and all that game.

At a certain point things become so formulaic as to sound positively dispassionate.

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I was horribly disappointed in that record

I really like Out Go The Lights, Street Jesus, and Oh Yeah

Everything else was alright to terrible on it for me

@The Real McCoy loved it if I remember right

You don't even like Another Last Goodbye? I love how it's so reminiscent of their early ballads, almost like a cousin to You See Me Crying. And Steven Tylers singing on that one is truly spine-tingling.

1 hour ago, Silverburst80 said:

Aerosmith were never really that great. At their best they had a grimey,raw dirty rock thing happening around Rocks era but even then AC/DC were doing it better. Songs like Back in the saddle, Rats in the Cellar,Combination, Sick as a dog etc undeniably kick ass though.

No Rocks/Toys, no AFD.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Towelie said:

You don't even like Another Last Goodbye? I love how it's so reminiscent of their early ballads, almost like a cousin to You See Me Crying. And Steven Tylers singing on that one is truly spine-tingling.

Forgot about that one. Yeah, that's a pretty good song

49 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Aerosmith. Decent bluesy rock band destroyed by ballads. They are proof if none is needed that ballads can ruin a good rock band.

Nah, I love me a good ol' cheesy Aerosmith ballad. Hole In My Soul is one of the best songs they ever did. Steven Tyler could sing the fuck out of the phone book and give me the chills!

9 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Nah, I love me a good ol' cheesy Aerosmith ballad. Hole In My Soul is one of the best songs they ever did. Steven Tyler could sing the fuck out of the phone book and give me the chills!

So do i actually but don't tell no one cuz it makes me look a quim :lol:  Not really heard none post the Armagedeon one to be fair but i must say he don't half belt em out, ol' Stevie.

9 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I was horribly disappointed in that record

I really like Out Go The Lights, Street Jesus, and Oh Yeah

Everything else was alright to terrible on it for me

@The Real McCoy loved it if I remember right

Still do! I actually bought it three different times to track down all of the different versions / bonus tracks...

• Like 1

I have been Aerosmith fan since the beginning and saw them live a bunch of times back in the 70's starting in 1974 and they were a kick ass band back in the day. Loved all their 70's studio albums up "Rocks" as I think the drugs pretty much killed "Draw the Line"

While they were never as good to me after they got back together in 86 I did enjoy their comeback albums but think their last decent album was PUMP...........I lost interest in their studio stuff after that album as they kept chasing hit ballads...............the one exception is "Honkin for Bobo" which was a great blues cover album IMHO

Edited by classicrawker