GNR Concert / Age Restriction?

I purchased tickets for the New Orleans Show and have a 2-part question:

Does anyone know if there is an age restriction on the show, and if not, is the show appropriate for minors (under 18)?

I think that depends on your stance on swearing, possible strippers on stage and sexual lyrics. Crowds have been known to get a little rowdy sometimes.

I think as a parent/adult it's a personal call but I don't think there are official restrictions. Personally I wouldn't take someone under about 12 ish.

• Like 1

My son has grown up on GNR, hearing the music all the time.  Anyway I did not take him when he was 11 but took him to his first concert ever when he was 12 GNR in Buffalo.  He loved it :)

The shows are all ages but use your judgement right, the shows are late shows and younger kids can get bored and or tired.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

My son has grown up on GNR, hearing the music all the time.  Anyway I did not take him when he was 11 but took him to his first concert ever when he was 12 GNR in Buffalo.  He loved it :)

The shows are all ages but use your judgement right, the shows are late shows and younger kids can get bored and or tired.

Yes stamina is a good point. Shows are usually quite long and late in the night.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, alfierose said:

I think that depends on your stance on swearing, possible strippers on stage and sexual lyrics. Crowds have been known to get a little rowdy sometimes.

I think as a parent/adult it's a personal call but I don't think there are official restrictions. Personally I wouldn't take someone under about 12 ish.

49 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

45 minutes ago, alfierose said:

Yes stamina is a good point. Shows are usually quite long and late in the night.

Thanks - all very good points. It seems y'all are reading my mind. My 13 year old son loves GNR (as do I - I grew up on them) and I was not too worried about him. My 11-year old son is the one I was on the fence about, although he'll be close to 12 at the time of the concert. I appreciate the responses.

• Like 1

Which show are you considering? If it is later on in the tour, perhaps get your 11yr old a ticket, read the earlier show reviews and discussion and go from there. If you decide not to take him you can probably sell the ticket easy enough.

Just now, alfierose said:

Which show are you considering? If it is later on in the tour, perhaps get your 11yr old a ticket, read the earlier show reviews and discussion and go from there. If you decide not to take him you can probably sell the ticket easy enough.

July 31 in New Orleans - tickets have been purchased (I had pre-sale access...open public tickets start tomorrow). That is a good idea - my plan is to do exactly that. ;-) This forum was the first stop of my 'Maybe Not In Your 11-Year Old Lifetime' research tour . lol Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Just now, jrf said:

July 31 in New Orleans - tickets have been purchased (I had pre-sale access...open public tickets start tomorrow). That is a good idea - my plan is to do exactly that. ;-) This forum was the first stop of my 'Maybe Not In Your 11-Year Old Lifetime' research tour . lol Thanks again. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, gunsguy said:

I wish I was your son :lol:

• Like 2

A bunch of us are going to the Detroit show.  My 10 yr old daughter really wants to go.  I'd love to take her, but I think she's still too young for that crowd and environment.  If she was 12 or 13 I think I'd take her

• Like 1

I think it would be fine. Went to my first GnR show and other gigs when I was a minor.

Only thing I'd have major reservations about would be having an 11 or 13 year old in a stadium GA/pit section. The pits can get rowdy and there are usually a lot of big guys in there who really slam around. It would be way too easy for a child to either get swept up and separated from their parents in a boisterous crowd or get hurt. And they probably won't be able to see a damn thing with all the adults in front of them.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, stella said:

I think it would be fine. Went to my first GnR show and other gigs when I was a minor.

Only thing I'd have major reservations about would be having an 11 or 13 year old in a stadium GA/pit section. The pits can get rowdy and there are usually a lot of big guys in there who really slam around. It would be way too easy for a child to either get swept up and separated from their parents in a boisterous crowd or get hurt. And they probably won't be able to see a damn thing with all the adults in front of them.

Totally agree. Our tix are on plaza level, first section off the floor. My mosh pit days are long behind me.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrf said:

Totally agree. Our tix are on plaza level, first section off the floor. My mosh pit days are long behind me.  

Awesome -- that issue's out of the way, then! :)

I'm the same way. No GA/pit for me anymore.

• Like 1

I think you'll be fine. My first GNR show was in 1987 with my dad and it's a memory that will last forever. I'm not sure seeing them in 2016 will have the impact it did as seeing them in 1987, but if you and your son both like GNR then I say go for it! It'll create a memory that will last a lifetime. I agree with the other posters though, stay out GA.

• Like 1

Planning on making it a family affair. Taking our 15 year old son and 12 (soon to be 13) year old daughter. With the whole nostalgia of the thing they'd have to expect that some of us older people will be taking our kids. 

Also planning on staying off the floor and bringing some hearing protection (two sets...mine is already fucked...thanks Axl).

So wish me luck tomorrow, it's going to be costly :(

Edited by Drakestar
  • Like 3

going to the same show as you my friend!! as an 18 year old that fell in love with GNR at the age of 9, if your son loves any kind of music, bring. him. to. this. As a 9 year old, GNR opened my eyes to an abundance of music i would have never heard without there heavier rock sound. start them young!!!!! as far as i know, i turned out pretty fine :lol:

Edited by KeyserSoze
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎7‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, jrf said:

I purchased tickets for the New Orleans Show and have a 2-part question:

Does anyone know if there is an age restriction on the show, and if not, is the show appropriate for minors (under 18)?

I doubt it. The GNR concert I went to in Texas in August had no age restrictions at all.

I saw kids of all ages and one couple had their little baby with them.

If you bring kids under ten I'm sure they've heard curst words before, but honestly, Axl doesn't talk much and doesn't curse much. The songs on the other hand, you know, have some cursing in them.

It's rock and roll! you got to curse to sound cool!

No nudity allowed!

I agree with the folks saying it's an individual parenting decision.

At the Pittsburgh show there was a Mom and Dad up near the rail that had their 8-9 year old daughter with them and she was singing along to just about every song.  During SCOM they had her up on the big screen belting out the chorus. 

Edited by Braxon Raine