*OFFICIAL* MERCH THREAD

18 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is just nostalgia though. I've said it before but it is like Buffalo Bill's Wild West; people went to see this sorry spectacle to see the dying embers of America's Wild West before its key participants (the one's who survived its battles) were dead, poor old Sitting Bull, once proud warrior, paraded around the world like a mannequin, people gawping at him. People just go to see these things - same with the Stones - so they can say, ''I saw ___'' before all the participants die off. It is music as a museum piece, as exhibit. You get bummed up the arse on ticket prices. Get a signed VIP laminated lithograph for your wall. Get bummed up the arse on t-shirts. All this expensive tat I suppose will help you relive the memory. You see the hits. Come home. It is a vacuous exercise. There is no creativity or spontaneity there.

Compare it to somebody like Springsteen, Neil Young or Dylan, people who release new albums, change their setlists constantly, and play new material. 

Do you not remember a time when Rose was a songwriter? That was a nice time. Do you not remember the time he promised three albums? Heck, Slash released three albums in three years!

I honestly wouldn't see this charade.

Do you honestly believe people go to see Springsteen, Dylan or Neil Young because of their new material? I love all of them, but if they only played new stuff I wouldn't care to see them.

It's a bit of an overstatement to call them (or compare, whatever) "dying members" just because they haven't released new material YET, when they JUST got back together after 20 years and have said they're working on new stuff.

What's the difference between those artists you've mentioned and GnR, except for not putting out a new album? Dylan's tickets prices for shows in Brazil were just as bad as GnR will be (about U$250). And that was in 2012, today would be even worse.

I don't get why you're so bitter about this. It's ok not wanting to spend your money on them, but you spend an awful lot of time complaning here for me to believe you don't care about this band at all.

Also, they're putting on a hell of a show. If you weren't so stubborn I bet you'd have fun watching it ;) 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Blake Sabbath said:

Must be specific to each city, because wasn't the merch truck in Detroit open on the morning of the show?

I think they probably open them early when there's foot traffic around a downtown stadium. KC is kind of unique in that the stadium is outside of downtown, on a massive piece of real estate that also includes a baseball stadium. 

That said, I don't know for sure that it's not open right now. But there's no cars allowed there yet, so I don't know who would be buying? You can't drive in there unless the gates are open.

Whether or not this is a cash grab, these guys aren't just going through the motions. There is tons of energy on stage and the band is bringing it! The Vegas shows were tremendous, and Detroit was even better in tightness. You can tell by watching a band if they're going through the motions. Motley Crue did that on their 'final tour'. Guns aren't doing that, and I think the reviews are helping prove that. Axl got shit on constantly by the press, and those same people are reporting on how great these shows have been. We all knew these shows wouldn't be cheap, but people are getting their money's worth here. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

Whether or not this is a cash grab, these guys aren't just going through the motions. There is tons of energy on stage and the band is bringing it! The Vegas shows were tremendous, and Detroit was even better in tightness. You can tell by watching a band if they're going through the motions. Motley Crue did that on their 'final tour'. Guns aren't doing that, and I think the reviews are helping prove that. Axl got shit on constantly by the press, and those same people are reporting on how great these shows have been. We all knew these shows wouldn't be cheap, but people are getting their money's worth here. 

Agree 100%. Vegas was increadible and Detroit was on another level even. Never thought a stadium show would beat Vegas or seeing Axl in a small theater in 2012. It did.

3 hours ago, emybdc said:

Do you honestly believe people go to see Springsteen, Dylan or Neil Young because of their new material? I love all of them, but if they only played new stuff I wouldn't care to see them.

In actual fact, I'm not sure I agree with this. When you see Dylan and Neil Young, there is a sort of positive acceptance that you will hear their new material, but yes of course, an oldie gets a huge reaction. You wouldn't want to remove the new material, as you would be removing one of the inherent aspects of those two artists, one of the things people like about them.

You are rather seeing where the artist is at that particular point, that it is not strictly nostalgia.

Dylan and Young fans have come to love this. Young fans actually collect bootlegs for unreleased live songs (Neil has around a hundred of them!) - this would seem to indicate a desire to hear new live material on the fans' part.

I remember somebody asking me during the Nugnr era, this must have been c.2006, whether I want a reunion and my reply was that I'd only want one if it was for artistic reasons, i.e. these individuals want to create music together, and not for cash, and that there should be an album before a tour, the consequence of that creativity.

On 16 April 2016 at 9:36 PM, DieselDaisy said:

They certainly like their skeletons! My advice would be to stick to the classic bullet logo as some of those skeleton ones are fairly garish. I do like the traditional Appetite cross one though, more for purposes of nostalgia.

C'mon man, please kindly take your trolling elsewhere or better yet make your OWN thread! ;-D

32 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

In actual fact, I'm not sure I agree with this. When you see Dylan and Neil Young, there is a sort of positive acceptance that you will hear their new material, but yes of course, an oldie gets a huge reaction. You wouldn't want to remove the new material, as you would be removing one of the inherent aspects of those two artists, one of the things people like about them.

You are rather seeing where the artist is at that particular point, that it is not strictly nostalgia.

Dylan and Young fans have come to love this. Young fans actually collect bootlegs for unreleased live songs (Neil has around a hundred of them!) - this would seem to indicate a desire to hear new live material on the fans' part.

I remember somebody asking me during the Nugnr era, this must have been c.2006, whether I want a reunion and my reply was that I'd only want one if it was for artistic reasons, i.e. these individuals want to create music together, and not for cash, and that there should be an album before a tour, the consequence of that creativity.

In regards to new music, I sort of agree. I agree in the sense that its something we all want. But dude, they just got back together. This massive undertaking was thrown together in months. DJ was literally in the band a year ago. Look at all thats happened since. So fucking what if theyre playing all old songs. They still wrote them, how does their artistic integrity waiver because the songs are old? If this was another NuGuns tour id be more inclined to agree, but this is the first time theyve played together in over 20 years. A nostalgia tour is perfectly appropriate imo.

Regarding merchandise, literally every artist has overpriced stuff. I saw Neil Young last summer. 40 dollar shirts and 80 dollar hoodies at his show. And he played new stuff 3 quarters of his set. Awful, cringe inducing anti GMO and Monscato bullshit that sounded like the ramings of an old man. Love Neil, but that was a show where the classics were far better than his new stuff. I always advocate new material at shows but theres nothing wrong with a mix of classics and new stuff. 

• Like 1

I will probably get my GNR shirts at the show. I always like to get tour shirts with the dates on them.

I did get a shirt on amazon, with a picture of Axl, Slash and Duff on it. Thought that would be cool to wear to the concert.

When it comes to GNR merch, I buy way too much. I must have about 50 GNR shirts. Some old, some new and some with just Axl Rose on it. I also have a few hoodies. Love them!  Now that Slash and Duff are back in GNR, I'm sure plenty of fans will be wearing all their vintage shirts.:headbang:   

Edited by dontdamnmeuyi2015
more to say

31 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

In regards to new music, I sort of agree. I agree in the sense that its something we all want. But dude, they just got back together. This massive undertaking was thrown together in months. DJ was literally in the band a year ago. Look at all thats happened since. So fucking what if theyre playing all old songs. They still wrote them, how does their artistic integrity waiver because the songs are old? If this was another NuGuns tour id be more inclined to agree, but this is the first time theyve played together in over 20 years. A nostalgia tour is perfectly appropriate imo.

Regarding merchandise, literally every artist has overpriced stuff. I saw Neil Young last summer. 40 dollar shirts and 80 dollar hoodies at his show. And he played new stuff 3 quarters of his set. Awful, cringe inducing anti GMO and Monscato bullshit that sounded like the ramings of an old man. Love Neil, but that was a show where the classics were far better than his new stuff. I always advocate new material at shows but theres nothing wrong with a mix of classics and new stuff. 

Did you not catch any of the seeds?

32 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

That is hideous, in my opinion. Not Rock N Roll.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. I usually always buy gig posters as Pearl Jam has done them for 20 years, but I'd skip that one. Ill never frame the Detroit one, but it's not as bad as that!