Reasons behind the performance of Coma.

I am overjoyed because Coma was played..it is the best GNR song, in my opinion. I can't help but wonder whether it was played as a result of a strongly rekindled bond between Slash and Axl, due to the origins of the writing of the song? Could it also have been played because it is a deep cut, and the band wants to continue exploring/performing obscure songs from the UYI albums? 

Discuss. 

Edited by sonofnazareth

I think Slash really wanted to play it, he didnt have a chance to play all these old UYI songs with his solo band for years, now that hes back in GNR he has a legitimate reason to play them again. I dont think the reaction to doing Coma with his solo band would have been good..you cant have that song sung by anyone else than Axl.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, The Macaroni Incident? said:

Something different I suppose.

Hopefully, "Locomotive" will get dusted off tonight.

That would be an amazing thing to witness, for sure :axl:

locomotive being played in 1989, starts at the 14 minute mark. steve adler showing how it should be played on drums and duffs base playing is awesome.

the rehearsals also have steve adler playing dont damn me X2, garden of eden and dust n bones 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donny said:

locomotive being played in 1989, starts at the 14 minute mark. steve adler showing how it should be played on drums

Matt's performance on the studio version is absolutely perfect. I don't get why everyone keeps on bringing this bootleg up.

• Like 4

It was Slash's baby, at the time of UYI.

Why was it played? I get the feeling everyone is being diplomatic in terms of what songs they want to play.

Slash, freshly back in the house that he built, wants to play the songs with teeth, and God bless him at that. Double Talkin' Jive at the first show and Coma at the second!

Axl, wants Slash to lay into a few of the harder hitting Democracy songs, and Slash is able to put aside any awkwardness of that (still, This I Love is probably going to played more frequently than he'd like).

21 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

There has to be a better way for Axl to sing the last part live. I think he should try it like Shackler's Revenge. "I never really wanted to live" got a big cheer!

I don't he should sing the last part at all, maybe end it after the solo.

I think it's what Slash can bring to a show. And a cool moment for Axl and Slash. It's a popular song, no 1 GNR song in Metal Hammer, and deserves more credit. It improves/varies the show. 

If they play Breakdown that would also be awesome. 

• Like 1