Slash's take on CD songs

I really like his take on TIL like a few others have said. Also enjoy what he's doing with CD.

The only thing I would really like to see changed is in Better. I really like parts of the solo, but two things that would improve it:

1. Bring the shred back to that first solo. The "dirty" bends sound awesome, but the flurry of notes before the breakdown is usually something I look forward to - Richard would probably do a better job through here (3.28):

2. I absolutely love everything from 4.44 - 4.58... but the fast playing belongs in that earlier solo I mentioned above.

If he'd clean up the end of the "Robin" solo, I think it would be a huge improvement. The first part of the solo has really grown on me in a short space of time though.

• Like 2

CD: Very cool. I prefer the rawer version too. And the solo was just very good.

Better: What an intro! Very cool synthie sounds from Melissa. I also like the second solo from Slash a lot.

TIL: Robins version is better. But you know what? Slashs version is damn good as well.

Edited by Sosso

21 hours ago, highvoltage said:

I really like his take on TIL like a few others have said. Also enjoy what he's doing with CD.

The only thing I would really like to see changed is in Better. I really like parts of the solo, but two things that would improve it:

1. Bring the shred back to that first solo. The "dirty" bends sound awesome, but the flurry of notes before the breakdown is usually something I look forward to - Richard would probably do a better job through here (3.28):

2. I absolutely love everything from 4.44 - 4.58... but the fast playing belongs in that earlier solo I mentioned above.

If he'd clean up the end of the "Robin" solo, I think it would be a huge improvement. The first part of the solo has really grown on me in a short space of time though.

That part at 4:54 of the solo though...........:headbang:

I think This I love was made for Slash's soloing and he's honing in on it.  

Better needs that "flurry of notes" at the end of the solo, before the breakdown. Or, have Slash just rock the breakdown and let Fortus do the solo.  That's the meatiest part of the song, leading into Axl's "anger" verse.  I love that intro.

Chinese Democracy sounds real heavy now.  I love what Slash has added to it.

On 4/10/2016 at 2:28 PM, Giblet said:

Guys, it's a really easy solo to play note for note, but that's not the point. Slash is gonna Slash.

We know he's awesome and can write great solos, it just doesn't seem like he's bothered to do that with the CD songs.  He neither learned the album solos or wrote awesome solos of his own for them.  He just kind of shreds aimlessly over them.

Plus those solos on CD were written in a way that fit and complemented the song.  If he's not going to write something better, he's hurting the song by not learning the album versions and replacing them with aimless noodling.

I honestly feel that Slash (and duff) have hands down improved those songs. That intro on better is the best damn part of the song. CD actually sounds like a rocking tune now (although it is still the weakest song in the set imo). TIL sounds like it was meant to sound. Everyone can agree that Finck did a great solo, no argument there. But here is the thing, stop trying to hear THAT when Slash plays it, instead just listen to what Slash is playing. Im sorry, but it's better. It has all the emotion of Robins, with far more fire. 

Which brings me to my main point (some of you, not all but some) might be trying to get even here. What I mean is, when Robin was in the band, he got blasted for fucking up Slash's solos, it really pissed a lot of people off (myself included). So now that the tables have turned, it's "Slash should play it like robin, he shouldn't change it, etc." I get that, and you are entitled to that opinion. But if you feel that way because you want to defend robin, I think you need to reevaluate what's going on here. Slash WAS the man in Guns n Roses, Robin was NEVER the man. Even when it was his turn, he had to share the spotlight with Buckethead and later BBF. Slash never had to, or needed to do that. His work speaks for itself, you can't say the same for Robin. If you just plain honestly like his solos better, that's fine and I totally get that. I just hope that's the REAL reason is all I'm saying. But you can't knock slash for coming back and rewriting those solos, they should have been his in the first place. If Robin had done something BRILLIANT with the classic solos, than people wouldn't of gotten upset, but truth be told he didn't. He plain fucked a lot of them up.

People don't get upset when guys like Jimmy Page, Eddie Van Halen, and Stevie Ray Vaughn did their own takes on previous works, why? Because they brought something new and BRILLIANT to the table. Robin never did ANYTHING close to that with Slash's solos, sorry.

On 10/4/2016 at 4:48 AM, supercool said:

"better" still doesn't sound as a gnr song, but hey, i can live with it.

Non of the Chinese songs sound like GNR because that wasn´t GNR. GNR sounds like slash, izzy and duff, the drummer is another thing. But without these 3 the sounds is different.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, mikebones said:

Non of the Chinese songs sound like GNR because that wasn´t GNR. GNR sounds like slash, izzy and duff, the drummer is another thing. But without these 3 the sounds is different.

The one that sounds the closest to GnR is CD and Maybe The Blues.. The only decent two of the bunch.

Said this in another thread. Would love to hear "Catcher" live. It had so much potential but was way overproduced. Had too much going on at once. It wasn't simple enough.

I want to hear Slash play IRS. It just feels like it could've been one of the better GNR "rockers." It had the vibe -- and potential -- similar to YCBM.

I love the fact that we now have two completely different versions of This I Love. I still haven't completely made up my mind, which version I prefer more. I think the great thing about the original solo is that it goes so well hand in hand with the piano on the background. I think that on the new version the piano kinda gets buried under Slash's guitar solo and at times it almost sounds like a mess.

What I like about Slash's solo though is the raw suffering emotion. In my opinion it fits the lyrics much better than the original solo, cause just like the lyrics, Slash's solo is full of pain. The original TIL was a sad song. This new version is a song of pain and suffering.

Perhaps with different piano arrangements this new version could be the better one. Oh well, luckily I don't have to choose between the two. I can enjoy both versions.

Edited by Lies They Tell

Robin's solos on TIL and Better are some of my favorite GNR solos ever. Although simpler than other slash/Bucket solos, they just fit the songs perfectly. That being said I think Slash is doing a great job doing new solos that fit those tunes. I really wanna hear this lineup do TWAT.

When Janick took over guitar for Adrian in Iron Maiden, he never played the solos like the album. And he's never been asked to. At the same time when Bruce came back and sang some Blaze Bailey songs, he didn't try to match the vocal approach, he did his own thing.

When Robert Plant sang Coverdale/Page material with Jimmy, he did not try to mimic David.

Even in GNR it wasn't like Robin or Bucket or Ron went out of their way to reproduce the album solos. For as much as people see Axl as a dictator, he was pretty open minded it seems, to let the players play the parts how they play.

• Like 2

Looks like he's trying to sweep here, didn't expect that TBH. He seems to develop the solo every night, wonder how he played it in Mexico.  I think (thanks to Axl &/or CD &/or Fortus) Slash is now open for a new approach to certain things, he may practice techniques he wouldn't use before. It's a win-win situation, I'm just happy for him. He'll be a better guitar player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDfS4gV4n5U&feature=youtu.be&t=4m36s

• Like 2

I like what Slash has done with the Chinese Democracy material, although I do prefer Robin's solo in Better.

I wonder....if there is really going to be some sort of new "Best Of" compilation coming out, if any CD material included on it will be reworked versions featuring Slash & Duff. Wouldn't surpise me.

6 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Looks like he's trying to sweep here, didn't expect that TBH. He seems to develop the solo every night, wonder how he played it in Mexico.  I think (thanks to Axl &/or CD &/or Fortus) Slash is now open for a new approach to certain things, he may practice techniques he wouldn't use before. It's a win-win situation, I'm just happy for him. He'll be a better guitar player.

Absolutely. I almost have a feeling that Slash is having 4tus teach him some techniques backstage before the shows