Slash's take on CD songs

5 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Really looking forward to hear a good video of TWAT from Mexico. This is what I am most excited for.

It's your lucky day: 

Personally I love how true Slash stays to the original solos. He still refuses to do the tapping lick and goes for a Slash-y shred lick instead. And if I heard right, there's a rotary effect there to replace the killswitch lick

Edited by Bumble's Bridge Pickup

6 minutes ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

It's your lucky day: 

Personally I love how true Slash stays to the original solos

Interesting. I hope we get better videos of this and that they keep playing TWAT. I do think that he is trying to stay true to the original solos here without being exactly note for note. I'd prefer for him to actually mix this up a little and see what comes out of that. I'm hoping to one day hear something really exciting. I still remember how incredible it was to hear it first when they played it at Hammerstein and have always wondered what Slash would have sounded like. Robin and then Bumble, on the last four minutes of the 05/12/2006 performance - just incredible.

CD is getting the thing that was missing in the studio version, Slash. He improved the song.

Twat, mmm.. the first solo feels so natural to play, if you play it just like Robin. Slash is struggling there. I did like the outro after the epic bucket solo. The bucket solo needs some work, but he's on the right track.

Just a quick reminder, expect a lot of mistakes on all solos(KOHD 4 example), everyone is pointing at frank or the tempo. Not his fault. If you got to see CD era live you will notice the wall of guitars that had. 3 guitar players means less noticeable mistakes.

10 minutes ago, Chuzeville said:

Interesting to hear Slash stick to the original solo but doing his own interpretation. I think it works better that the brand new solo on TIL.

At least now we know he listened to CD :P

I think when it came out he was on record as saying that he heard CD and liked it.

6 hours ago, Bumble's Bridge Pickup said:

Absolutely. I almost have a feeling that Slash is having 4tus teach him some techniques backstage before the shows

Hahaha.... I don't think so. Steve Lukather taught him a lot of shit back in the mid 2000's... And I think they talk still about guitar etc and getting better. He did some sweeps and stuff at the Stoke on Trent show guitar solo. Not real sweeps but like a small sweep on the bottom 3 strings. But any newish techniques are self taught and probably Lukather. 

8 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

Hahaha.... I don't think so. Steve Lukather taught him a lot of shit back in the mid 2000's... And I think they talk still about guitar etc and getting better. He did some sweeps and stuff at the Stoke on Trent show guitar solo. Not real sweeps but like a small sweep on the bottom 3 strings. But any newish techniques are self taught and probably Lukather. 

Well Slash himself said that Myles was technically a better guitarist than himself and he teached him some licks on the tour. I would't be surprised if Fortus showed him some techniques at the rehearsals.

33 minutes ago, smoking guns said:

He said Myles was showing him some stuff too on the solo tours.

Man, did anyone notice how dead the crowd was for TWAT? Great take on the solo but the song just isn't very engaging. 

Edited by moreblack

I just realized something when browsing member Soulmonsters web page. This I love was conceived back in 1993. So basically Slash has almost played it before already! In an interview about the record Axl said:  Slash has been working with a lot of riffs, and I've been working out where my head's at about things. I'd like the next record to go to farther extremes. If I'm expressing anger, I'd like to take that farther; if I'm expressing happiness and joy, I'd like to take that farther. We haven't actually gotten together to collaborate on too many songs. I wrote and recorded a new song that I want to have on the record called 'This I Love.'  [Raw Magazine, 1993]

So it could be safe to assume that when playing This I Love, Slash is playing a song he is familiar with, to some extend. That's pretty cool. And crazy to think that the song is from 1993!

19 minutes ago, trqster said:

Dope! But hey BBF was/is a guitar teacher after all, maybe Axl could hire him to give Slash some guitar playing tips....

Slash is playing these CD songs in order to make peace and allow this "reunion" to work. I don't think he gives a rat's ass about playing these solos "accurately". And he sure as hell is not going to get guitar lessons from some dork.

Appetite, Lies, Illusions. That is all that matters,

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 2

Haven't heard them clearly but sure they are fine. I think they did did TWAT is Mexico? How was that? 

The fact they have not done STreet of Dreams makes me think it was about Slash quite a bit like @SilentJay said. I guess it's like the CD mission statement and the mission was complete. 

Catcher might be interesting. 

55 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Here is a good video quality of the crappy song :

If the roles were reversed and that was Robin covering a Slash-written solo, he would've been crucified for how he performed that first solo! Having said that I really enjoyed his take on the Bucket solo.

6 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

If the roles were reversed and that was Robin covering a Slash-written solo, he would've been crucified for how he performed that first solo! Having said that I really enjoyed his take on the Bucket solo.

That is because people care about real GNR songs. You know, the big hits that we still hear on the radio today. CD songs in these concerts are break periods. Nobody cares. Slash free-styling on these songs is only thing that makes them interesting. 

Edited by SWINGTRADER
  • Like 2