Slash's take on CD songs

17 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Slash is playing these CD songs in order to make peace and allow this "reunion" to work. I don't think he gives a rat's ass about playing these solos "accurately". And he sure as hell is not going to get guitar lessons from some dork.

Appetite, Lies, Illusions. That is all that matters,

Hey BBF is a brilliant guitar player, professor and author/composer - gotta give the guy's due credit. 

That being said I was being a bit sarcastic of course, because Slash is not only a brilliant guitar player, but a music genius imo, so he's pretty much on pair with other guitar playing geniuses like Jimmy Hendrix and such. He's on a galaxy of is own no doubt about that. But that doesn't mean that BBF doesn't play better the TWAT solo imo...

Edited by trqster

On April 10, 2016 at 6:49 AM, Ralphelmo said:

Bluesy motherfucking awesomeness. It's much more GNR style song now.

Melissa on the LA-NA-NA-NA part such an upgrade from drunk-ass Pitman. Such an upgrade. They should do Catcher in The Rye

9 minutes ago, trqster said:

But that doesn't mean that BBF doesn't play better the TWAT solo imo...

I would go one step further and claim that Bumblefoot plays mnay of Slash's own solos better than Slash in 2016. Take the November Rain coda. Aside frm tone quality -- which is more a subjective thing -- Bumblefoot does the sustain, attack and bends much better than Slash these days.

Don't take this to mean that I would prefer Bumblefoot in the lineup. But he is simply a much better player than Slash.

• Like 1

I prefer Bumblefoot on his solo career. He was criminally underutilized in GN'R. I'm convinced he was bitten by a radioactive guitar as a teenager because he's got literal superpowers. I can understand why people don't get his style but I love it.

I encourage everyone to check out his latest solo album, it's one of my favorite modern rock albums and is more about songwriting than guitar solos.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I would go one step further and claim that Bumblefoot plays mnay of Slash's own solos better than Slash in 2016. Take the November Rain coda. Aside frm tone quality -- which is more a subjective thing -- Bumblefoot does the sustain, attack and bends much better than Slash these days.

Don't take this to mean that I would prefer Bumblefoot in the lineup. But he is simply a much better player than Slash.

Did you heard the 360 life stream of NR? Bumble's not even come close to that IMO. And I'm not talking about his tone.

There's simply nobody playing Slash's guitarparts better than Slash these days. Lol, even back then, when he was a 23 year old strung out junky he played them better than most other guitarists around

BBF to me is one of the most talented ever guitar players and brilliant on every CD song.

Slash is just, well, Slash, not overtime perfect but plays his soul through his guitar and that's just priceless. He's a God. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Did you heard the 360 life stream of NR? Bumble's not even come close to that IMO. And I'm not talking about his tone.

There's simply nobody playing Slash's guitarparts better than Slash these days. Lol, even back then, when he was a 23 year old strung out junky he played them better than most other guitarists around

What I think was so great about Slash was the emotion he channeled through his solos. To him a solo wasn't just a variation of the song melody, something the lead guitarist was obligated to do, it was an augmentation of the lyrics. It was a story in itself. Take Sweet Child O' Mine as an example. The long solo starts off haunting with outdrawn tones that is semi-reminiscent of the love story sung by Axl, but then it takes a dramatic turn as it picks up speed (together with the backbeat) and starts with cascading notes that to me suggests that something tragic has happened, something menacing, which is further supported by the "Where do we go now?" lyrics. I always pictured something horrible had happened to the love interest in the lyrics. Again, it is emotions that is conveyed through the solo, additions to the lyrics, not just a repetition of the chord structure. It is a solo that isn't just a dutiful placeholder in the song but part of the story of the song. To me, that is Slash's greatest strength. His ability to convey emotions, to talk through his solos. This was also obvious to me during early gigs where Slash would add bits of licks and riff throughout a show to play with whatever Axl was doing, like some sinister riff while Axl was ranting. It lifted the shows to a different level. This interplay between the musicians and Axl that went beyond the songs, made the shows fantastic.

As for reproducing the November Rain coda, I think Bumblefoot plays it better, but 10,000 Bumblefoots with 10,000 guitars and infinite time would never have come up with that solo in the first place.

Another thing. I use past tense in the first paragraph. I don't mean by that that Slash has lost this ability. I haven't really seen it in the CD solos he has added, sure, nor in the shows so far, but it is early days and I hope he will shine through the rest of the tour.

Been unable to watch/listen to anything in ages, so just be relying on reviews and stuff.

However just watched CD from Coachella (not sure which night) from another thread, and that sounded great - Slash's solo was brilliant, perfect mix of him doing his own thing plus holding respect for the song itself, he nailed it (and despite my nickname, I'm not the biggest Slash fan guitarwise).

30 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

What I think was so great about Slash was the emotion he channeled through his solos. To him a solo wasn't just a variation of the song melody, something the lead guitarist was obligated to do, it was an augmentation of the lyrics. It was a story in itself. Take Sweet Child O' Mine as an example. The long solo starts off haunting with outdrawn tones that is semi-reminiscent of the love story sung by Axl, but then it takes a dramatic turn as it picks up speed (together with the backbeat) and starts with cascading notes that to me suggests that something tragic has happened, something menacing, which is further supported by the "Where do we go now?" lyrics. I always pictured something horrible had happened to the love interest in the lyrics. Again, it is emotions that is conveyed through the solo, additions to the lyrics, not just a repetition of the chord structure. It is a solo that isn't just a dutiful placeholder in the song but part of the story of the song. To me, that is Slash's greatest strength. His ability to convey emotions, to talk through his solos. This was also obvious to me during early gigs where Slash would add bits of licks and riff throughout a show to play with whatever Axl was doing, like some sinister riff while Axl was ranting. It lifted the shows to a different level. This interplay between the musicians and Axl that went beyond the songs, made the shows fantastic.

As for reproducing the November Rain coda, I think Bumblefoot plays it better, but 10,000 Bumblefoots with 10,000 guitars and infinite time would never have come up with that solo in the first place.

Another thing. I use past tense in the first paragraph. I don't mean by that that Slash has lost this ability. I haven't really seen it in the CD solos he has added, sure, nor in the shows so far, but it is early days and I hope he will shine through the rest of the tour.

I agree that his solos for CD aren't his best. For example I like what he does for Better, but think Finck's original take is way better. That said, I prefer Slash's take on TIL by far.

As for the rest I mostly disagree. There were some solos he did in this tour that didn't fit the songs, like the solo for Yesterdays or the KOHD from the first shows, but that's the exception. Last night KOHD was epic, his solos on Nightrain, Estranged, SCOM, OTGM, NR and probably everything else, how he plays them, is exactly how I'm used to know them. If any he plays them even better. Not just on a technical level.

Ron Thal is a supernatural guitar player.  He has it all.  I loved every minute of him being in GnR apart from the fact he was criminally under utilised.  Him and Fortus should never ever have been second fiddle in songs to Gashba, in any way.  That said, Slash is THE GnR guitarist and anyone who says otherwise is crazy.  He was born to play in this band.

Slash is definitely doing better :)

What I fear now is not so much Slash's solos but how they work with Richard's solos, like on CD where Richard is true to the solos on the record, which is sort of spacey/futuristic/pling plong, while Slash's version of the solos, while keeping the main elements, are more bluesy and traditional. The thing might be a bit disjunct? Like they don't fit together? I don't know if it really is a bit jarring or if it is just me still not getting used to the new version. Anyway, I like the developments and as I have said before, Richard and Slash together can be a killler combination.

6 hours ago, Bumblefeet said:

Actually my criticism is that on most CD solos he's shortchanging the notes and he's actually playing too few notes. ;)

I made this comment based on the solos of the Vegas shows. Maybe he took this advice from Yngwie Malmsteen a bit too seriously :D 

I agree that he has improved his solos on ChD songs but I am sure he cand much better