Izzy and steven

57 minutes ago, RONIN said:

The point is though, no matter what was going on with Izzy, he showed up to play every gig. He was there for most of the uyi sessions.This directly contradicts what Axl says about his unreliability. It's only once he felt that the band was in complete chaos that he stopped caring.

So yeah, he didn't show up to shoot the uyi videos and wasn't around for the final UYI sessions -- technically Axl has a point. But given what led to all that, it's hard to blame Izzy. 

Has Axl said Izzy is unreliable? I can't remember him ever saying that. What Axl has said, though, together with Slash and Duff -- they have all agreed on this -- was that Izzy was not willing to put in the effort they felt was needed. Yes, Izzy did show up for gigs (util he quit), but that was all. See my quotes from Slash a couple of posts back.

Here's what I wonder about Izzy (because I'm convinced we'll see Adler in the reunion "soon") - A few weeks ago, there was a topic called, "WILL THE WORLD FORGIVE AXL IF HE DOESN'T DO THE REUNION," and collectively, I think we all would have resented Axl for good, despite how much we like him. But if we get 4/5 of the AFD lineup, and Izzy just sits it out until they retire or die, do we resent Izzy? He still got applauded at the RRHOF while Axl got booed, but not I think a lot more power will end up in his hands.

30 minutes ago, G-Money said:

Here's what I wonder about Izzy (because I'm convinced we'll see Adler in the reunion "soon") - A few weeks ago, there was a topic called, "WILL THE WORLD FORGIVE AXL IF HE DOESN'T DO THE REUNION," and collectively, I think we all would have resented Axl for good, despite how much we like him. But if we get 4/5 of the AFD lineup, and Izzy just sits it out until they retire or die, do we resent Izzy? He still got applauded at the RRHOF while Axl got booed, but not I think a lot more power will end up in his hands.

What do you mean by that?

45 minutes ago, Babooshka said:

What do you mean by that?

I mean, if Axl was the reason behind the AFD lineup never reuniting, he'd be seen as the villain. If Izzy ends up being the one member NOT to join up, I just wonder if he'll be viewed as a villain.

14 minutes ago, G-Money said:

I mean, if Axl was the reason behind the AFD lineup never reuniting, he'd be seen as the villain. If Izzy ends up being the one member NOT to join up, I just wonder if he'll be viewed as a villain.

In my world Izzy is always the hero ?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Has Axl said Izzy is unreliable? I can't remember him ever saying that. What Axl has said, though, together with Slash and Duff -- they have all agreed on this -- was that Izzy was not willing to put in the effort they felt was needed. Yes, Izzy did show up for gigs (util he quit), but that was all. See my quotes from Slash a couple of posts back.

Well, Axl said this about Izzy... 

Slash: I really looked forward to playing with him again and really hoped that he had changed. I booked a place before the first gigs in Tel Aviv to rehearse. But Izzy thought it was unnecessary, that it was just wasted time. He hadn't changed one bit and therefore the gigs turned out the way they did [Metal Zone, December 1993]

Slash: It was my idea to call Izzy; I thought it would be interesting. I didn't know he hadn't picked up his guitar in the last fucking year!

Slash talking about Izzy replacing Gilby: "Fuck it," Axl said. "Let's call Izzy." I was surprised and happy to hear that Izzy went for it (...). Izzy showed up...with dreadlocks...and hadn't practised one song. So we did what we could [bozza, Anthony, & Slash (2007). Slash. Harper Entertainment: New York, p.369-370]

And general comments about his playing style and contributions:

Gilby: [...] Nobody really seemed to know what Izzy played. I would perform something, and Slash would say, "I thought you knew this tune," and I'd argue that I did. And then he'd say "No, you don't You are playing my part!" And then we'd realize that you couldn't really hear Izzy's part on some of the songs. So the we had to try to reconstruct his parts the best we could [Guitar World, November 1992]

Slash talking about The Spaghetti Incident?: I love recording like this. During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on this record. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect! [Okej, November? 1993]

Slash: Izzy basically left while we were recording the "...Illusion" records. He's not on half of those records. He hardly even played on his own songs! [Kerrang! January 1994]

Slash: I had to double guitars up for him on most of [illusions]. He didn't play very much [Guns N' Roses: Is It All Over? Does Anyone Care? Metal Hammer November 1995]

Edited by xBrownstonex
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, G-Money said:

Of course not. Axl will still be the villain.

3 hours ago, G-Money said:

Axl has no self respect (just take a quick look at the retards he's been dragging around the world for the past 15 years under the name of GnR; it's nothing but embarrasing and painfull to even think about it as an old school hard core fan) Axl has no integrity what so ever. Axl is only in it for the money and his own twisted ego. 

Izzy is the total opposite. Izzy deserves 100 % respect - then, now and forever. Thank you and good fuckin night from Stockholm.

53 minutes ago, xBrownstonex said:

Slash talking about The Spaghetti Incident?: I love recording like this. During Appetite..., Lies and Use Your... I had to put up with Izzy the whole time. I never liked playing with him. It was wonderful to escape him on this record. It sounds tighter and so much cooler than anything we've done before. I always got irritated over Izzy's way of playing. It didn't sound right. Before "Spaghetti", we erased his guitar and Gilby put on a new one. It sounded perfect! [Okej, November? 1993]

Funny the stupid things one can say when angry. Can't blame him that much as it was in 1993, but it's funny how he pretty much said the opposite when he had Izzy playing on Ghost. Izzy rocks! :izzy::slash:

16 minutes ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Funny the stupid things one can say when angry. Can't blame him that much as it was in 1993, but it's funny how he pretty much said the opposite when he had Izzy playing on Ghost. Izzy rocks! :izzy::slash:

Exactly and you can never discount the fact that it was best for Izzy not to be around those guys as he himself was ahead of the curve in trying to get a grip his sobriety.

It's rarely ever discussed but it seems that Slash and duff were so fucked up they were in the denial. Everyone outside of their circle could see their demise except themselves. Then as they finally got sober their outlook changed. They were able to see and accept fault which I'm sure led to this regrouping 

4 hours ago, GnR_Stockholm said:

Axl has no self respect (just take a quick look at the retards he's been dragging around the world for the past 15 years under the name of GnR; it's nothing but embarrasing and painfull to even think about it as an old school hard core fan) Axl has no integrity what so ever. Axl is only in it for the money and his own twisted ego. 

Izzy is the total opposite. Izzy deserves 100 % respect - then, now and forever. Thank you and good fuckin night from Stockholm.

I wouldn't say he's the total opposite. He did take huge money in 1993 and 2006 to play GN'R gigs. 

I remember an Izzy interview where he said about Tel Aviv that he was really looking forward to this and ended up totally ignored by the guys. He said it was like "playing with Zombies "

i can't recall where I read that though... Sorry.

10 hours ago, BorderlineCrazy said:

Well, Axl said this about Izzy... 

Yes, he did. Not really supporting the statement that Izzy being unreliable is nothing but "revisionist Axl fairytale" as someone claimed, though. Both Axl and Slash has criticised Izzy for not working hard enough, for not playing good shows when he was a junkie, and for beign terrible at the Tel Aviv show in 1993.

3 hours ago, Walapino said:

Tel Aviv was in 1993 how come Izzy was wacked out?? wasnt he sober by then?? still dont get it.

I don't think Axl was insinuating that they turned down his amp in Tel Aviv because he was wacked out, that was the reason they did it back in his junkie days, but in Tel Aviv it was because he was unprepared. Check this comment from Slash for comparison:

Slash: I really looked forward to playing with him again and really hoped that he had changed. I booked a place before the first gigs in Tel Aviv to rehearse. But Izzy thought it was unnecessary, that it was just wasted time. He hadn't changed one bit and therefore the gigs turned out the way they did. [...] Izzy simply doesn't like playing rock at the level where we are right no. We understand it no and I'm personally very fucking disappointed at his previous behavior [Metal Zone, December 1993]

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, SoulMonster said:

Slash: I really looked forward to playing with him again and really hoped that he had changed. I booked a place before the first gigs in Tel Aviv to rehearse. But Izzy thought it was unnecessary, that it was just wasted time. He hadn't changed one bit and therefore the gigs turned out the way they did. [...] Izzy simply doesn't like playing rock at the level where we are right no. We understand it no and I'm personally very fucking disappointed at his previous behavior [Metal Zone, December 1993]

I don't really understand that part... I mean, what is he implying here? That Izzy didn't want to rehearse?
Fact is that he ended up rehearsing with them. So what's the point?

I found that interview part from 2001:

“it was weird. We toured Greece, Istanbul, London – I liked that side of it, seeing some places I’d never seen.” But that was the only thing he did like about it. After he’d left the band, he had “a big shit load of money sitting somewhere [for me] and they weren’t paying me [it]. I don’t know the deal was, some kind of legal bullshit.” Funds, he claims, which were only released after he agreed to come back temporarily. “Money was a big sore point. I did the dates just for salary. I mean, I helped start this band…” Up comes the guitar again. A flurry of angry notes ensue. These were his final shows with Guns N’ Roses. He left without saying goodbye. “I didn’t actually say ‘see you’ cos they were all fucked up. Duff and these guys, they didn’t even recognise me. It was really bizarre. It was like playing with zombies. Ah, man, it was just horrible. Nobody was laughing anymore…”

read full interview here

Edited by Rubicon

13 minutes ago, Rubicon said:

I don't really understand that part... I mean, what is he implying here? That Izzy didn't want to rehearse?
Fact is that he ended up rehearsing with them. So what's the point?

Slash implies that Izzy didn't want to rehearse. Izzy himself confirmed he didn't feel it was necesarry to practice much for the gigs ("And I knew all the music so it wasn't like I had to study or practise much, just take a guitar and go over.").  So regardless of whether Izzy actually went to rehearsals or not, it seems like Slash (and Axl) thinks he wasn't as prepared as he should have been.

Btw, and for future reference: http://www.a-4-d.com/t2016-1993-05-22-hayarkon-park-tel-aviv-israel That site got a thread for every gig, with all the relevant quotes I could find.

Edited by SoulMonster