Anyone else pleased that Axl hasn't abandoned Chinese? And how do Slash fans feel about him playing on CD-era songs?

This I Love is an unbelievably bad song. Just dismal. No way a turd like that would have even made it on a record were Axl wasn't 100% in charge. Better is only slightly more tolerable. CD is okay.

Not surprised at all that Slash is playing them. I always assumed Axl woulld have insisted on it.

• Like 2

I'm glad they didn't abandon CD. For the simple reason the the proper GNR songs are 30 years old nowe and anything fresher is welcome. I'd love to hear SOD and Madagascar. Unfortunately Better, TIL and CD I don't like, they're among my least liked songs on the album. They gain with Slash but nothing can make them good IMO. Overall though I'm glad Slash is doing CD songs.

14 minutes ago, bigpoop said:

This I Love is an unbelievably bad song. Just dismal. No way a turd like that would have even made it on a record were Axl wasn't 100% in charge. Better is only slightly more tolerable. CD is okay.

Not surprised at all that Slash is playing them. I always assumed Axl woulld have insisted on it.

I thought This I love was better lol.. I couldn't take it.. I had to leave and grab a beer and take a piss. It wasn't until they played Better later that I realized it was just a different bad song. I needed to piss and refill my drinks at some time though. If it wasn't for those songs I probably would have pissed my pants because I didn't want to miss any thing else.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well it's a good job, because there's no way Slash could play that and do it justice.

I don't consider the guitar work in that track to be anything special at all and the solo is abysmal. Strap on some nonsense lyrics with a bland, forgettable melody throughout and you have one of the several rotten teeth in the Chinese Democracy mouth.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I don't consider the guitar work in that track to be anything special at all and the solo is abysmal. Strap on some nonsense lyrics with a bland, forgettable melody throughout and you have one of the several rotten teeth in the Chinese Democracy mouth.

Whether you rate Ron's solo or not is not the point (I personally love it), the fact is, it is very technically complex and there is no way on God's green earth that Slash would be able to play it.

21 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Bullshit.

Plenty of GNR fans enjoyed Chinese. And even the fans that didn't aren't all like the knobheads who think GNR ended in 1989 when Steven Adler left.

Yeah, it's not bullshit.  How many stadiums did nuGNR sell out on their own?  Thought so.  It's obvious Axl wasn't really making bank on those arena tours trying to sell no name musicians as Guns.  I was at half filled shows.   And those CD songs died a quick death on the radio and charts despite the so called plenty of fans it had.  Even Axl dropped most of them from the setlist because no one was interested.  

This band has always been about nostalgia, even while Axl continued his half baked effort to change that.  His willingness to once again play with a guy he called a cancer is a testament to that.  You don't need to be a mullet head to think the best version of this band was the classic lineup.   And liking CD surely doesn't  make anyone cool, edgy or modern.  Seriously, wtf.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Yeah, it's not bullshit.  How many stadiums did nuGNR sell out on their own?  Thought so.  It's obvious Axl wasn't really making bank on those arena tours trying to sell no name musicians as Guns.  I was at half filled shows.   And those CD songs died a quick death on the radio and charts despite the so called plenty of fans it had.  Even Axl dropped most of them from the setlist because no one was interested.  

This band has always been about nostalgia, even while Axl continued his half baked effort to change that.  His willingness to once again play with a guy he called a cancer is a testament to that.  You don't need to be a mullet head to think the best version of this band was the classic lineup.   And liking CD surely doesn't  make anyone cool, edgy or modern.  Seriously, wtf.

So you think if the original band stuck together they would be having top 5 hits and selling records like it's 1991? Of course they wouldn't. An original band GNR album in 2008 would've likely sold a similar amount to Chinese and had a similar impact (ie, hardcore fans lapping it up, casual music fans being indifferent).

And I don't think the original band would be selling out stadiums in 2016 if it weren't for the fact that they haven't played together since '93. Also, when did I say that liking CD made me "cool, edgy and modern"? Or are you taking that from me calling AFD5 purists "mulletheads"? Hey man, I love AFD and the original band as much as you, I just don't live in 1989.

Edited by Towelie

6 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Whether you rate Ron's solo or not is not the point (I personally love it), the fact is, it is very technically complex and there is no way on God's green earth that Slash would be able to play it.

It may be technically complex (I don't know, I have never looked at the guitar tab for it), but it does not sound good either way. It is interesting that you speak with such authority about Slash's guitar abilities though; do you know him? And if you do, has he confirmed that this particular piece is beyond his capabilites? Most shredding sounds a lot more impressive than it actually is.

On topic though, Axl had to have some Chinese Democracy tracks in there as he considers the album "cannon".

As a Slash fan, good for him; it would be a bit weird if he just fucked off when they started a CD track and then came back when it finished. 

i like most of cd stuff. twat was already played during soundcheck, so we have at least 4 cd songs in the set. i still think we will hear sod and perhaps catcher, which sounds a lot like old guns. throw in some rockers like scraped and shacklers and thats it. nothing else is required. maybe irs too. madagascar is so boring it can never be played again. ever.

7 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

I never understood the "mullet" head insult for preferring the lineup and songs that made that band great,

I think most of the people who claim to like CD are in their 20's. And even they are in a very tiny group of people of that age group who prefer CD over the real GNR material. Most youngsters love the real GNR. They are not mullet heads.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

It may be technically complex (I don't know, I have never looked at the guitar tab for it), but it does not sound good either way. It is interesting that you speak with such authority about Slash's guitar abilities though; do you know him? And if you do, has he confirmed that this particular piece is beyond his capabilites? Most shredding sounds a lot more impressive than it actually is.

On topic though, Axl had to have some Chinese Democracy tracks in there as he considers the album "cannon".

As a Slash fan, good for him; it would be a bit weird if he just fucked off when they started a CD track and then came back when it finished. 

Well, for starters, Shacklers solo is played on a fretless, which is something Slash has never done (that we've seen anyway). And it doesn't take a musical genius to recognise that Ron Bumblefoot Thal is a lot more technically gifted at the guitar than Slash. I'm not saying he's a better player, but technically speaking, there's no comparison.

Band playing mainly just Appetite would've got real boring real fast. I wasn't a big fan of Chinese but I'm glad that they're including those songs in the setlist. It's nice to hear them slashified, and I think Axl thinks so too. Waiting for "Street of dreams" to pop into the setlist.

Edited by LandOla

2 minutes ago, Towelie said:

Well, for starters, Shacklers solo is played on a fretless, which is something Slash has never done (that we've seen anyway). And it doesn't take a musical genius to recognise that Ron Bumblefoot Thal is a lot more technically gifted at the guitar than Slash. I'm not saying he's a better player, but technically speaking, there's no comparison.

But you don't know though, do you? Have you played a fretless guitar? What element of that do you believe Slash will struggle with?

Bumblefoot as a player is as bland as the Shacklers solo. Until you hear Slash fucking up the solo, I think it is a bit of a stretch to say he can't do it.

4 minutes ago, SoundOfAGun said:

But you don't know though, do you? Have you played a fretless guitar? What element of that do you believe Slash will struggle with?

Bumblefoot as a player is as bland as the Shacklers solo. Until you hear Slash fucking up the solo, I think it is a bit of a stretch to say he can't do it.

Bumblefoot is an exceptional player. You may not like what his style, but you can't deny the mans a beast on the axe.

• Like 1