Anyone else pleased that Axl hasn't abandoned Chinese? And how do Slash fans feel about him playing on CD-era songs?

On 4/10/2016 at 6:01 PM, Patience 4 Axl said:

If it weren't for "AFD5 mullet head purists" you would never have this regrouping in the first place.  And if you think it was nuGNR fans who kept this band alive and relevant for the past 20 years, you're delusional. 

AS true as it gets!!!

On 4/10/2016 at 6:05 PM, Towelie said:

Bullshit.

Plenty of GNR fans enjoyed Chinese. And even the fans that didn't aren't all like the knobheads who think GNR ended in 1989 when Steven Adler left.

As delusional as it gets!!! With all due respect to CD era (throughout which I have seen GnR twice) and the album itself, the classics sell out..that's the thing crowd craves for.. If it were Axl playing Chinese Democracy in its entirety (let alone the talk of him relinquishing the GNR brand) he would have played theatres..(towards the end of the CD era he already did that and half sold out arenas)... It seems utterly counter-intuitive to think GnR brand has survived thanks to Chinese Democracy.. just big lol at that!

Not sure about. If not the CD songs but just the touring for the GH and just live shows proving the GNR market was out there. 

But still if there was no activity until 2014. It would be less certain to sell out stadiums. Axl was doing okay without. So promoters can almost garantee you add Slash it's going to sell out. 

Younger fans too have had a chance to go to GNR shows and see what it's all about and go back discover, and dream of a reunion. With nothing out there then maybe they wouldn't discover GNR. 

On 10/04/2016 at 5:10 PM, Randy Jesus said:

This I love was created back when the back when the band was still together in the 90s, not finished but started back then.

It definitely feels to me like the CD song with the most 90's vibe to it..

And love it or not it's by far the most popular CD era song, both on YouTube views and especially on live play feedback from the fans. Personally I love the song and think Slash's contribution just makes it a perfect song, which could have been a huge potential Gn'R hit back in the day.

I laugh at the notion that the inclusion of CD era songs, songs that are a decade plus old and nearly a  decade removed from being officially released are whats saving this from being a  nostalgia trip. I mean honestly talk about grasping at straws. It's all nostalgia until Guns N Roses puts out a new album.   Don't get me wrong I'm all for this nostalgia but saying it's not nostlgia because of the CD songs is just flat out laughable and gives way too much weight and importance to the CD era. Sounds liek Axl fans desperately wanting to add more value and significance to the CD era  :lol:

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 0:39 PM, SoundOfAGun said:

I haven't at any point said that he isn't technically accomplished, but that doesn't make him exceptional or a beast on the guitar. Maybe you could specify why he is so far ahead of Slash in the technical side of things? What is it that he can do that Slash would never be able to? 

Just ignore jerks like him who think "technical" playing is better or comparable at all to what Slash does, these people are comparing a 40 year old mans guitar playing to a 21 year old Slash on Appetite For Destruction, they act like he never progressed as a guitar player in 30 years, never mind the man is now 50 and is a billion times better a guitarist. The most important technique any guitarist can possess is one Mr Saul Hudson (aka SLASH) uses is and is the best at: provoking feeling in the soul, and however the fuck he does it needs no explanation, that is the most important musical element is speaking to the soul, and if Bumblefoot was so good at it most people would actually know who he is in the Rock community prior & after his involvement in Guns N Roses.

As a guitarist myself, I CAN do sweep picking & tapping techniques both of which Slash is not big on doing, not because he can't but because they are boring as fuck techniques and I see why he doesn't do them, they get old fast after the few seconds of gimmick worthy pleasure they give the guitarist doing them, because they certainly don't do shit for the listener. These same techniques are why listening to Avenged Sevenfold and Zakk Wylde get boring VERY fast, because people like Synyster Gates & Zakk Wylde take one technique that's hard for your average player to do and play the shit out of it until it becomes easy (Synysters Sweep Picking & Zakks Harmonic Squeals), and in every songs solo that's all you hear. I like certain things Zakk and Synyster have done, but they are one trick ponies and bore me to tears after a few songs. Great vibrato and composing notes that come alive to the listener is either in the soul of the guitarist or its not, and Slash will hit you with an eargasm every time. Something Slash has that few guitarists have that's NEVER talked about is his amazing stamina & speed while doing consecutive bends & fast vibrato, anyone can play fast if you don't actually have to use any finger muscle...Slash can bend, vibrato & legato like a mad man!.

My point is I can play these techniques that some would call "technical playing" and employ them properly, by and large they bore me and to do them all the time or at all if the song doesn't call for it doesn't make sense, Slash always plays to suit the band & song and just because he doesn't use a technique doesn't mean he can't.

• Like 3

I love how Slash brought the right Finck guitar tone back to Chinese. But to my ears he preatty much butchers all the CD solos. His TIL solo does not cut through the rest of the arrangement and other solos are to loose for the hard edged CD songs. I would also love to hear Slash play on IRS and for them to include a VR song in the set (instead of the Seeker for instance)

On 4/10/2016 at 5:54 PM, Patience 4 Axl said:

I remember people telling me here the only reason I didn't like CD was because Slash wasn't on it.

Well that theory has been blown out of the water.  I will never like TIL, with or without Slash's contributions.  Horrible song.  He made the Better intro more tolerable but I'm still not a fan of the song, mainly because of the lyrics and vocals in general.   CD was always just ok for me,  I can take it or leave it, and would prefer anything from UYI played over it.  I always did like TWAT and if there's one song I'd be open to him playing its that one.    Just once anyway.  Still think they have more than enough of their own material and don't need to play songs they had nothing to do with as a band.  

This.

1 hour ago, SlashElvisTCB said:

Just ignore jerks like him who think "technical" playing is better or comparable at all to what Slash does, these people are comparing a 40 year old mans guitar playing to a 21 year old Slash on Appetite For Destruction, they act like he never progressed as a guitar player in 30 years, never mind the man is now 50 and is a billion times better a guitarist. The most important technique any guitarist can possess is one Mr Saul Hudson (aka SLASH) uses is and is the best at: provoking feeling in the soul, and however the fuck he does it needs no explanation, that is the most important musical element is speaking to the soul, and if Bumblefoot was so good at it most people would actually know who he is in the Rock community prior & after his involvement in Guns N Roses.

As a guitarist myself, I CAN do sweep picking & tapping techniques both of which Slash is not big on doing, not because he can't but because they are boring as fuck techniques and I see why he doesn't do them, they get old fast after the few seconds of gimmick worthy pleasure they give the guitarist doing them, because they certainly don't do shit for the listener. These same techniques are why listening to Avenged Sevenfold and Zakk Wylde get boring VERY fast, because people like Synyster Gates & Zakk Wylde take one technique that's hard for your average player to do and play the shit out of it until it becomes easy (Synysters Sweep Picking & Zakks Harmonic Squeals), and in every songs solo that's all you hear. I like certain things Zakk and Synyster have done, but they are one trick ponies and bore me to tears after a few songs. Great vibrato and composing notes that come alive to the listener is either in the soul of the guitarist or its not, and Slash will hit you with an eargasm every time. Something Slash has that few guitarists have that's NEVER talked about is his amazing stamina & speed while doing consecutive bends & fast vibrato, anyone can play fast if you don't actually have to use any finger muscle...Slash can bend, vibrato & legato like a mad man!.

My point is I can play these techniques that some would call "technical playing" and employ them properly, by and large they bore me and to do them all the time or at all if the song doesn't call for it doesn't make sense, Slash always plays to suit the band & song and just because he doesn't use a technique doesn't mean he can't.

Shredding does not mean souless, if this was a slash song you'd all be cuming trough your mouths

16 hours ago, Bridge school said:

This is true, there's definitely a huge nostalgia factor, just as there was with NuGnR.  Fans wanted to hear Axl sing. The most popular reason for the dismissal of Chinese Democracy was that Slash wasn't involved.

I get what your saying, but "fans" of the band have either accepted the evolution of the band or been lobbying for a reunion. In a way, they have been clamouring to hear Slash play CD songs. The casual fan wants to hear the radio hits and shouldn't be catered to exclusively, meaning that, GNR ignores 3/4 of its catalogue so as not to bore them.  Conversely, they might hear a song that they'd never heard, or really paid attention to, and then seek it out later.

But there is a negative side to going full nostalgia. People have said that it's a big nostalgia cash grab. To play CD tracks and then put out a new record kills that idea. It's all perceptions. Maybe it would be easier to focus on AFD and hits and just do quick sets with lots of interviews and promo. But GNR always goes the extra mile and it pays off long term. They didn't even need to try sonhard as writing Coma back in the day. But now playing CD tracks and deeper cuts like Coma and DTJ really defuse cash grab claims. They aren't just taking the easy route and that will pay with less negativity and more positivity around them coming back. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kanudo19 said:

Shredding does not mean souless, if this was a slash song you'd all be cuming trough your mouths

So because you posted this snooze fest of a song that makes it good? Whats the point of it that you're trying to prove?

But by the way, as a guitarist myself I agree with you that Shredding a guitar doesn't mean soulless playing...just so happens many guys known for shredding ARE soulless, they don't understand that music should take the listener on a journey and that us as humans react to certain sounds & compositions by nature. They don't understand the value of peaks & valleys of a song, a build up and climax to increase the effectiveness of a composition. Slash on the other hand is a master of that, he has always had the right amount of technique & soul to suit what he was playing...Album version of Paradise City is a perfect example of how he can take a already blazing solo and turn up the heat around the 5:50 mark to a climax of guitar orgasm. This isn't even a Technique vs Soul playing argument, its an argument of who is more versatile of a guitarist, what guitarist evokes emotions in our bodies down to the most primal of stages and what guitarist is more enjoyable to listen to, and that hands down is Slash, you could put him on anything and its value automatically goes up even if the song sucks. Its like Elvis Presley, everything he touched was gold.

Comparing a guy who uses technical gimmicks to a guy who just plays guitar with godly phrasing & vibrato is like comparing a Honda Civic to a Hemi Cuda...they do two completely different things when you hit the gas pedal, one says fuck you I'm a muscle car and the other is just over there getting 35mpg. The problem is they play fast every second of their existence, it would be like getting an 5 second orgasm without the build up of taking a chicks clothes off, foreplay, and the act of sex...its just 5 seconds and done that's it, its like lets move on and do something else or I'm done I'm gonna pass out. I enjoy the journey of a properly done solo that fits the music and can go from slow to fast or however the mood of the song dictates that it go.

Slash can make his guitar talk, a lot of shredders focus on just playing fast and don't have time to do bends or phrasing period and when they do it sounds robotic and weak, and they play all their fast licks with not an ounce of emotional buildup or melody worth catching to hook you in and build their composition off of.

I think I beat this dead horse enough. Slash by the age of 20 was more well known than Bumbledick was and ever will be and that includes after Bumbledick stole his spot in the band and had the benefit of riding Slash's coat tails. Theres a reason Shredders aren't mainstream and its because theres no musical value if ALL you do is just fast licks...Slash can do it all.

• Like 2

I am not going to quote the above post, but both of your posts are bang on and the reason that I picked up the guitar in the first place was because of the way Slash made it sound. It appears that there is no substance to the claims that Slash can't play the Shacklers solo, which is what I thought.

If that solo sums up Bumblefoot as a guitarist and demonstrates what his fans deem as technically accomplished, then they are impressed by smoke and mirrors. And shitty guitar tones. 

Where is Bumblefoot's SCOM, WTTJ, Estranged, Paradise City?

All he had to his name as a GN'R guitarist is a few tedious overlays and a couple terrible solos (musically). Oh, and a reluctance to confirm he was no longer with the band as the man understands his true commercial worth as a standalone musician.

• Like 1

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 0:11 PM, SWINGTRADER said:

Not sure if serious.

I think they are referring to the fact that Axl wrote and tinkered with those songs before Slash was with him in a band at least November Rain anyway. 

As far as what I feel I have been a fan since the 80s and I'm also a fan of CD so I'm fine with them playing songs off it

I'm also not sure why people act like Axl gave some ultimatum in the CD songs. Slash has said before he thought CD was good and it showcases Axl and his genius well. So who's to say he didn't choose certain songs to learn that he may like or feel he can add to.

Slash is a great guitarist but in general I don't only buy records to hear the guitarist it's usually for the lyrics and singer. So if I don't like the lyrics to something or the way it's written or sung having another guitarist play on it won't change that opinion. 

This I Love is a beautiful song and I think it's one of many that showcases Axl Rose.

The thing is, Slash is far more proficient technically than most claim. He just uses technical playing sparingly because quite frankly, technical playing is 99.9% shite. You can however see some of this technique on Anastasia and Serial Killer. 

• Like 2

I'll tell you what: Slash's solo on This I Love brought me to fucking tears. His guitar playing combined with Axl's vocals on those lyrics were just killer. One of my favorite moments from the Vegas gigs.

I'm a CD fan so I was looking forward to hearing some tunes played by Slash and Duff. Better was awesome too, really liked the new intro.

• Like 1