Anyone else pleased that Axl hasn't abandoned Chinese? And how do Slash fans feel about him playing on CD-era songs?

Slash liked to challenge himself and doing these CD songs was a way to do that. It allowed him to be creative in an environment focused on the tour. I don't think he ever felt he needed to prove himself...but maybe found some self gratification out of doing the songs. 

Also it's a nice gesture to Axl to say your songs are important enough and good enough to be played along side Jungle, PC and other classics. 

I remember people telling me here the only reason I didn't like CD was because Slash wasn't on it.

Well that theory has been blown out of the water.  I will never like TIL, with or without Slash's contributions.  Horrible song.  He made the Better intro more tolerable but I'm still not a fan of the song, mainly because of the lyrics and vocals in general.   CD was always just ok for me,  I can take it or leave it, and would prefer anything from UYI played over it.  I always did like TWAT and if there's one song I'd be open to him playing its that one.    Just once anyway.  Still think they have more than enough of their own material and don't need to play songs they had nothing to do with as a band.  

5 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Slash liked to challenge himself and doing these CD songs was a way to do that. It allowed him to be creative in an environment focused on the tour. I don't think he ever felt he needed to prove himself...but maybe found some self gratification out of doing the songs. 

Also it's a nice gesture to Axl to say your songs are important enough and good enough to be played along side Jungle, PC and other classics. 

this

• Like 1

I would prefer they only play one song from that album per show. And I wish it wasn't CD and Better.

But if that is what was needed to get Slash back in the band, then I don't have a big problem with it. As long as the set list is rich with the old material, and not too many covers, I am fine with it. I would love for them to perform " Yesterdays" at some point.

I know this is off topic, but I will repeat myself anyway, they need a new freaking drummer.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

I remember people telling me here the only reason I didn't like CD was because Slash wasn't on it.

Well that theory has been blown out of the water.  I will never like TIL, with or without Slash's contributions.  Horrible song.  He made the Better intro more tolerable but I'm still not a fan of the song, mainly because of the lyrics and vocals in general.   CD was always just ok for me,  I can take it or leave it, and would prefer anything from UYI played over it.  I always did like TWAT and if there's one song I'd be open to him playing its that one.    Just once anyway.  Still think they have more than enough of their own material and don't need to play songs they had nothing to do with as a band.  

Totally agree. They should only play TWAT and Catcher. They are the only decent songs off that album, the rest is garbage. I always liked the demo of Catcher with Brian May on it. It would be interesting to hear what Slash would do to it.

We need to listen to more of the songs the band wrote together. I want them to play them all throughout the tour. Perfect Crime, Dead Horse, etc.

1 minute ago, SoundOfAGun said:

I would be happy if I never heard that abortion ever again. A Slash solo can only do so much.

Well it's a good job, because there's no way Slash could play that and do it justice.

2 minutes ago, SWINGTRADER said:

We need to listen to more of the songs the band wrote together.

Slash and Duff playing on This I Love is no different than them playing on November Rain or Estranged.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Pretty much how I feel.  I still think Better and This I love are god awful with or without Slash.. Not a fan of the lyrics or vocals.. Playing 3 songs was overkill but it was a long ass show. 

I always thought the song was Chinese Democracy was a pretty good song not sure if I can say Slash added anything one way or another to it. If I had a choice, I'd rather hear a real Guns N' Roses song.

1 minute ago, Lies They Tell said:

1. Of course I'm pleased! I love CD. I'm not surprised either. Axl wouldn't have agreed to a reunion if CD material would have been ignored.

2. As a fan of Slash I love this. I always wanted to hear how the CD material would sound like with Slash's solos.

This I love was created back when the back when the band was still together in the 90s, not finished but started back then.

• Like 1

Playing the CD songs really quells the nostalgia shakes for me. Bringing back Coma and DTJ also brings fresh air. 

It seems like a real band not a nostalgia reunion. 

I think the key to the live sound is Frank has cut loose and is giving the whole show a wildness which is different to the professional killers that the last line up was. 

Personality goes a long way. 

• Like 3

Yes, I am very happy that the amount of CD songs doesn't seem to have been affected by old members rejoining the band. I hope they will continue to play more deep cuts from CD and every other GN'R record.

Furthermore, I am happy with the performances, Slash's playing, Duff's attitude, and everything that is. I feared that this would be pure nostalgia, now I see the possibility of new music in the future.

• Like 2