THEORY: Better, Chinese Democracy, This I Love NEW BEST OF INCL.

I like the Slash versions and think new studio takes could be cool (I could also see how it would be considered a little disrespectful to the guys on the official versoons). Maybe from like a free online release, like Slash's iTunes Rocket Queen and Fall to Pieces or something

Only way I'd want a new greatest hits bullshit album is with 2-3 new songs with Slash. Put out a 2 CD set with a good track list  (unlike GH) and add  the original studio or the live versions with Slash and Duff of Chinese, Better, and TiL. Throw in Slash and Duff versions of The General, Atlas, and Jackie Chan or something, call it Not in this Lifetime and I'd be a happy camper. Then a full album a later on

46 minutes ago, ironicninja said:

I would love to find out that the new live intro to Better is actually taken from a brand new song.

I'm hoping they drop something for Record Day. However I doubt they will.

Even just a reissue of Jungle perhaps with a track or two from Troubadour would be cool.

10 hours ago, auad said:

this.

This!

and to be honest I don't want yet another best of compilation. Save that for the future when the band has retired.

I also don't want CD to be reworked, as that just means less new music. Save CD2 as it is.

I'm personally very interested to hear CD2(+3 if it exists) as it is, Brain, Bucket and Robin, with all its potential flaws and all its potential wondrous technicalities. To me the most interesting part of a bands back catalogue is the failed work just as much as the popular work. For example I love obscure latter Black Sabbath stuff just as much as the early stuff. I'm not fussed how it gets released: Boxset, rarities cd, collectors edition exclusive for $150, whatever. I'm also not fussed when it gets released: Now or after the reunion album. Just don't waste that talent and the time that was put into the project.

I'd much prefer if the "reunion album" was actually Appetite 2, either older songs reworked or totally new songs, rather than CD2 with parts rerecorded by Slash- that would be a cop-out.

It would be possible that Slash and Duff rerecorded the Chinese tracks to learn them the way Axl rerecorded Appetite with the new band in the late '90s. Best case scenario, we get a new Guns record. Second best case, a greatest hits with a couple new tracks.

Edited by h2sublime

Re-recording new parts, over existing Chinese Democracy songs; didn't he do that already?

Skip the hits and put out new music. There are only about 18 people in the world who don't own a copy of WTTJ and SCOM. 

Edited by SoundOfAGun

Slash and Duff have no problem writing songs and releasing them. Axl needs to drop the perfectionism and sense of final say; that's the only barrier to a new GNR record that I can imagine... I could be wrong, but....

And forget "CD2 and 3." Songs are like fruit! They eventually rot.... resurrecting the CD songs would be a lipstick on a pig scenario..... metaphors.

Appetite songs were made in afternoons.

Edited by Ant

1 minute ago, Hollywood Zombie said:

Nah its just put together like ass. Anyone could create annoying sounds like that solo. It doesn't fit. Yes buckethead is fantastic but this solo is pure shit.

Couldn't disagree more, it fits the 'distorted' style of Shackler's like a glove. That it might be annoying to listen to I can understand (it took me a bit to get used to) but I find it works great and I also liked hearing it performed live by BBF.

I don't get any of the love for TIL. I don't mind them playing it live, it sounds a lot better than the album, and it gives Slash an amazing long solo. But the version on the album is an awful song. It's a terrible repetitive melody for a few minutes into a guitar solo.

9 hours ago, Ak1nney said:

It's a buckethead song. The whole song is just a different beast.

Man, its so strange - this is my favourite song on the album. 

I couldn't believe they were playing the song Chinese Democracy with Slash  - what a waste of time, I thought - its a shitty song. But I saw on this site that a lot of folk seem to quite like it, so fair enough. 

On the surface that would be fine but doesn't this line up have more potential than being a Best of touring band?

But yea Coma, Double Talkin jive, Chi dem, Better would go on a Best of. So it makes sense. The trail is lit.