Guns N' Roses Vs. Nirvana: A Beef History

My 2 favorite bands since the 90's. To me Nirvana's songs were more about the energy and feeling not necessarily the lyrics. I liked Gun's first but still liked Nirvana, even after all the drama with Courtney and Duff wanting to kill them at the awards because of the Courtney/Kurt and Axl stuff. Duff actually was one of the last people to see Kurt alive on the plane coming back from rehab to Seattle, so they must not have hated each other too bad.

27 minutes ago, Tourettes2400 said:

My 2 favorite bands since the 90's. To me Nirvana's songs were more about the energy and feeling not necessarily the lyrics. I liked Gun's first but still liked Nirvana, even after all the drama with Courtney and Duff wanting to kill them at the awards because of the Courtney/Kurt and Axl stuff. Duff actually was one of the last people to see Kurt alive on the plane coming back from rehab to Seattle, so they must not have hated each other too bad.

Yeah, really, really stupid lyrics..."A mulatto An albino A mosquti My libido Yeah, hey, yay". Didn't get them then, don't get them now.

I like used to like both bands a lot. Guns first in elementary and middle school, then Nirvana during my whiney angsty teen high school years. Both bands got me they rough times. Do I still like nirvana? Yes, but I dont identify with them as much anymore, whereas with GNR I still do (tho that may be just cause the reunion has rekindled my overall interest in them). To be fair tho, I do still love nirvana's unplugged record, and vig's production on Nevermind.

when it comes to the feud, i see that both parties as to blame. Kurt seems to have been an insecure little twit who started the whole thing, but Axl being the overly sensitive nutso he is fired back when he didn't need to and took it to a whole other level. He coulda looked like the bigger man had he just brushed off kurt's whining about him. My two pennies.

5 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

I like used to like both bands a lot. Guns first in elementary and middle school, then Nirvana during my whiney angsty teen high school years. Both bands got me they rough times. Do I still like nirvana? Yes, but I dont identify with them as much anymore, whereas with GNR I still do (tho that may be just cause the reunion has rekindled my overall interest in them). To be fair tho, I do still love nirvana's unplugged record, and vig's production on Nevermind.

when it comes to the feud, i see that both parties as to blame. Kurt seems to have been an insecure little twit who started the whole thing, but Axl being the overly sensitive nutso he is fired back when he didn't need to and took it to a whole other level. He coulda looked like the bigger man had he just brushed off kurt's whining about him. My two pennies.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Pretty much exactly my story.

• Like 1

I'd like to know what was really said between Axl and Kurt at the MTV awards,we only have Kurt and Courtney's version of events and as we know they are both full of shit. I always felt that event was like a kid consistently poking a dog through a hole in the fence then the dog got out bites the kid and gets the blame.

To get what Nirvana was all about one need to watch a live video of basically any song. I'll post this video, yeah it is Smells Like Teen Spirit but just feel that raw energy of those 3 guys without additional keyboards, sax or anything else. (Okay with dancing Tony) 

3 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Kurt was trolling Axl

2 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Iwhen it comes to the feud, i see that both parties as to blame. Kurt seems to have been an insecure little twit who started the whole thing, but Axl being the overly sensitive nutso he is fired back when he didn't need to and took it to a whole other level. He coulda looked like the bigger man had he just brushed off kurt's whining about him. My two pennies.

Well, judging by what eventually happened, we all know that Kurt was a troubled guy and that was the biggest reason for everything that happened. He just wasn't a happy dude and it showed in numerous ways ..,,

After living through that era and heavily involved as a musician myself, I can confidently say that I can't come up with a band that was ever more overrated than Nirvana! From a musicianship standpoint, just way overhyped. To be brutally honest, they would have a hard time cracking the top 5 bands from their own city, Seattle produced much better than them...

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BillyMac said:

After living through that era and heavily involved as a musician myself, I can confidently say that I can't come up with a band that was ever more overrated than Nirvana! From a musicianship standpoint, just way overhyped. To be brutally honest, they would have a hard time cracking the top 5 bands from their own city, Seattle produced much better than them...

You know they were the darlings of that city before they made it right?

25 minutes ago, BillyMac said:

Totally agree! Alice In Chains and Soundgarden are definietly the two best Seattle bands of that era! Both from a song writing and musicianship perspective. Nirvana appealed to a lot of people because they represented the whole angst and rebellion of Generation X, but does their entire song catalogue stand up to bands like AIC, Soundgarden, and Mudhoney? Not at all in my opinion. There are so many other Seattle bands from that era that get very overlooked. If you haven't already, go check out the Screaming Trees, Mother Love Bone, Love Battery, and Gruntruck. All killer bands!!

12 minutes ago, Len B'stard said:

You know they were the darlings of that city before they made it right?

Just like GNR, Nirvana going to England put them on the map, but they worked their way up and down the west coast and built up a following. They were outsiders to the Seattle music scene, which Duff was a part of, and the members of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were a part of. All people knew about Seattle in the 80s was Queensryche, Heart & Metal Church and any bands that came over from Vancouver and Portland. 

1 hour ago, dalsh327 said:

Just like GNR, Nirvana going to England put them on the map, but they worked their way up and down the west coast and built up a following. They were outsiders to the Seattle music scene, which Duff was a part of, and the members of Pearl Jam, Soundgarden and Alice in Chains were a part of. All people knew about Seattle in the 80s was Queensryche, Heart & Metal Church and any bands that came over from Vancouver and Portland. 

They were outsiders in that when they began they were like the yokels from just outside Seattle but they did end up the darlings of that scene.

12 hours ago, The Archer said:

Yeah, really, really stupid lyrics..."A mulatto An albino A mosquti My libido Yeah, hey, yay". Didn't get them then, don't get them now.

Never understood the love for them. I know they are two completely different bands, but Grohl's work with Foo Fighters is night and day in comparison with Nirvana. For me, anyway.

• Like 1

That Rolling Stone article missed a key moment out: when Axl burned the Nirvana hat onstage!

(there is wobbly footage of that.)

one thing that occurred to me about this feud the other day: ok so Kurt considered GnR too macho, politically incorrect, and so on. But both Nirvana and GnR had roots in fuck-you attitude punk, which was not politically correct either. In a lot of ways GnR were very similar to the renegade punk bands that Nirvana claimed as influence. So it seems Kurt was being a bit selective when he claimed GnR were out of step with Nirvana philosophically.

Yes Kurt would never have written the lyrics to One in a million. But neither is it true that GnR had "nothing to say" as Kurt claimed. Nirvana could not have written a song like Civil War.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BillyMac said:

Well I lived through the era too, also involved in music, and I think they were fucking great.  

• Like 1