Matt Sorum Says He 'Wasn't Asked' To Take Part In Guns N' Roses Reunion

MATT SORUM Says He 'Wasn't Asked' To Take Part In GUNS N' ROSES Reunion  

April 12, 2016  

Ex-GUNS N' ROSES drummer Matt Sorum says that he isn't participating in the band's comeback shows because he wasn't asked to take part in the reunion of GN'R's classic lineup.  

Only singer Axl Rose, guitarist Slash and bassist Duff McKagan from GN'R's "Appetite For Destruction"-era lineup took part in this past weekend's Las Vegas shows and the April 1 surprise gig at the Troubadour in West Hollywood. They were joined by keyboardist Dizzy Reed, guitarist Richard Fortus and drummer Frank Ferrer. Also appearing with them was second keyboardist Melissa Reese.  

Asked by a fan on Twitter if he is going to perform with GN'R on the reunion tour, Sorum answered: "No Sir , they didn't ask me"  

Sorum, who replaced Steven Adler in GUNS N' ROSES, recorded the highly successful albums "Use Your Illusion I" and "Use Your Illusion II" (both 1991) and "The Spaghetti Incident" (1994). He also supported the group on the "Use Your Illusion" tour and can be heard on GUNS N' ROSES' "Live Era: '87-'93" (1999) and "Greatest Hits" (2004).

Adler last year spoke about how he would feel about a hypothetical reunion of the classic GN'R lineup which would include Matt Sorum on drums instead of him. "Matt wouldn't do it," Adler said. "I see Matt practically every Monday night, and we talked about it. He wouldn't do it unless I was a part of it. And I said, 'Well, dude, I would do it without you.' And he said, 'But you're the original guy. You're the sound of GN'R. I'm not. So it's different.' And I said, 'If I did it, if Axl wanted to play the '[Use Your] Illusion' songs, I would have you right next to me. You come up and I'll either take the throne or sit where I sit.'… Sort of like [the way we did it] at the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame [induction in 2012]. They didn't show that part on TV, I don't think, but [Matt] played 'Brownstone', and then I came up and played 'Sweet Child' and 'Paradise City'."  

Adler continued: "But, yeah, I have nothing against Matt. He didn't do nothing. I had resentments with him, but I talked with him and I worked everything out. Everything. I would love to share a tour bus with him."  Sorum told The Pulse of Radio in a 2009 interview that if the classic GUNS N' ROSES band reunited, they should perform with both him and Adler. "If it's me on drums or Steven or whatever, if it happened, it'd be great, you know. I would actually say to them, 'Hey, bring both of us back,' you know. Let me play the other stuff. We'll have two drum kits. I don't care. If 'Appetite' ('For Destruction', the band's debut) sounds better with Steven playing it, have both guys up there. They can afford it."  

GUNS N' ROSES was inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in April 2012. Adler, Sorum, Slash and Duff McKagan attended the ceremony, while Rose and former guitarist Izzy Stradlin stayed home.

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/matt-sorum-says-he-wasnt-asked-to-take-part-in-guns-n-roses-reunion/

What is really crazy, and I haven't seen reported yet, is that on April 1 Matt was supposed to play at The Viper Room (across Sunset from Whisky A Go Go, where Adler was supposed to play that night) at the same time that GNR reunited at The Troubadour. 

At some point, I need to write about my experience that day and night before I forget the details. 

Edited by radioflyer

3 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster84 said:

Don't you crrrrrrryy Matt,there's a dolphin above you baby! 

Get over it people,Frank is the drummer.Matt should be wishing the band luck on Twitter instead of coming off like a whiner."Oh they didn't invite me :(" Thank God he is not the drummer!

I don't see him as a whiner. Just explaining something that he has probably been asked a million times. Just get it out and over with so you don't get asked a million more times.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan said:

It answers the question of if he's involved. It does not answer WHY he's not involved though. 

yes of course, that is what i meant to say..lol

I think the answer is kinda obvious though isnt it? GNR has a drummer..Frank was always gonna be the main drummer. We Speculate that Steven will be a guest at some point because he's been relatively well behaved and hasnt whined that he was left out. And if not for his back injury, we probably would have seen him guest already..What the real question is, why Sorum is left out completely? Why isnt he even in consideration to guest?

6 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster84 said:

Get over it people,Frank is the drummer.Matt should be wishing the band luck on Twitter instead of coming off like a whiner."Oh they didn't invite me :(" Thank God he is not the drummer!

How is he whining though? he was asked a question, and he responded that he wasnt asked to play with GNR

• Like 2

Adler is my preferred drummer but realistically  the case against using him is pretty strong. There's really not much of an argument against Sorum except Axl just didn't want him.

I think Duff and Slash come off looking pretty bad  here the way they just threw him over the side.

I absolutely missed that tweet.  So, he wasn't asked.  Plot thickens.

Maybe he wasn't asked because Frank Ferrer was still working with Axl at the time, who would be and is filling for Matt Sorum (playing UYI and CD songs), and the plan was to include Adler for the AFD songs but he hurt his back?  It sounds plausible, but still.

Too bad.  I love Matt.  He's a far superior drummer than Ferrer.  I would love to see him perform with Axl, Slash and Duff again. :(

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RecipeForDisaster84 said:

There was no need for him to respond,it was clear who the drummer was in Vegas,Matt was better off not saying anything.Instead he tweets it anyway and it ends up on Blabbermouth and what not.He  even deleted the tweet cuz he himself knew it came off whiney.Good Riddance Sorum.GNFNR's are back!

this makes no sense...he didnt go out of his way to complain or say he wasnt involved. People have been pestering him about this for a while now. He's been tweeted at plenty about the subject. Someone directly asked him a question about his involvement and he said that he wasnt asked to play..I dont see what the problem is with that..Him deleting it doesnt validate your point of view so knock it off. If anything he deleted it because he wanted to avoid it getting picked up by news outlets..but sure enough it was up long enough for people to get it and put it out there.

LOL@ delusional Adler, thinking Matt wouldn't have taken the money and ran if he would've been asked, and Adler wasn't.

Maybe Matt wasn't asked because back in 2006 when he hung out with Axl for a night in NYC he went around and trashed Axl in the press within a few days of said hangout.

8 minutes ago, NicDwolfwood said:

this makes no sense...he didnt go out of his way to complain or say he wasnt involved. People have been pestering him about this for a while now. He's been tweeted at plenty about the subject. Someone directly asked him a question about his involvement and he said that he wasnt asked to play..I dont see what the problem is with that..Him deleting it doesnt validate your point of view so knock it off. If anything he deleted it because he wanted to avoid it getting picked up by news outlets..but sure enough it was up long enough for people to get it and put it out there.

Agreed.

I think a lot of people have this weird concept and idea that Matt Sorum is a douchebag.  I have read some people think he is a douchebag because he used to have that utterly awful hair back in the UYI days.  Like, one thing is connected to the other. :lol:  I mean, you can't try to be rational with them.  They're blind.

I'm glad he was asked and I'm glad he replied.  Now I know he wasn't asked.  Which is too bad and too sad.  He's a great drummer.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ohmygod said:

Why get rid of Ferrer? The dude has been with the band since 2006 and does a great job.

I don't know about that.. The drummer is usually one of the lowest profile members of a band.. The fact that so many people don't like his drumming in Gn'R and the amount of common complaints says he isn't doing a great job. He may have been a fit in NuGnR which doesn't say much. Slash's solo band musically sound more like Guns N' Roses than Guns N' Roses do now. Frank is so bad that no one even gives a crap about Melissa anymore. She still looks stupid up there but she didn't end up negatively fucking up the songs. And that is the most important part.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

I don't know about that.. The drummer is usually one of the lowest profile members of a band.. The fact that so many people don't like his drumming in Gn'R and the amount of common complaints says he isn't doing a great job. He may have been a fit in NuGnR which doesn't say much. Slash's solo band musically sound more like Guns N' Roses than Guns N' Roses do now. Frank is so bad that no one even gives a crap about Melissa anymore. She still looks stupid up there but she didn't end up negatively fucking up the songs. And that is the most important part.

Sorry you see it that way, I think he's awesome, you think he sucks, whatever.  Still doesn't change a thing. Axl, slash, Fortus, duff, Dizzy, and Reese don't seem to mind his playing either BTW.

• Like 1

Frank has gotten more love this week than he has in the entire time he's been with Guns.  It's funny. :lol:

I know  there have  always been people who didnt like Matt, but I feel bad that he wasn't even asked.  That's got to hurt.  Just a guess,  but maybe the fact that he played in VR with Duff and Slash may have been a factor. 

Just now, RecipeForDisaster84 said:

This

Sorum is showin us how stupid he is and exactly why axl AND SLASH dont want him anymore.  

He stay with his mouth closed all this months ( just in case ) and once he make sure noone is gonna call him then :  let the public crying beggins 

Thank god gnr have a great drumer and adler will be there too at some point.

Sorum youre my favorite drumer ever.. But youre no longer necesary on the, once again, the greatest and most exiting band in the world.  

Just stay with hv ( good look with the duff replacement) and with velvet ( good look with slash, duff, scott replacements)  

Now, sadly for people like me that loves the way sorum playa, its beyond pretty clear who was the real BAD APPLE on guns n roses  ( aaand velvet)

• Like 1