Matt Sorum Says He 'Wasn't Asked' To Take Part In Guns N' Roses Reunion

1 minute ago, SEPTEM said:

beyond pretty clear who was the real BAD APPLE on guns n roses  ( aaand velvet)

What is this revisionist load of crap? The bad apple in Guns was and always will be Axl. Everyone got along with Matt except Axl. By that time, no one got along with Axl except his pet Dizzy Reed.

I think it's pretty clear that Axl and Matt don't mesh professionally. 

Just because he met him in NYC and was friendly doesn't negate that fact. Just like he met Gilby in that bar and had a good time after the UYI tour... didn't mean he was rushing to record with him.

Matt definitely makes his opinion known with respect to band politics, and combined with the fact that Duff/Slash/Matt was basically VR, and you'd get a cliquey vibe that would bring up old wounds.

Now it's Slash and Duff, Axl, and then two jovial randos on the payroll. Slash wanted to work with Fortus, Duff and Axl have been reunited for a while, Frank is happy to be there and arguably deserves something for his loyalty... it makes for an easier dynamic. And it was never going to be just Steven... he wasn't going to learn the UYI songs.... and all signs point to him being invited but injured. Thus, it's hard to be mad about the current lineup. 

Just write some new fucking songs. 

Edited by Ant
  • Like 1

I think Matt should have guested a night or two.

it doesn't cost The Trio anything to makes an old friend get some spotlight and be super happy.

I think this was one of those instances where Slash and Duff didn't stand up to Axl.

pretty cowardly.

it's obvious Matt deserves some kind of role in this.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Frank has gotten more love this week than he has in the entire time he's been with Guns.  It's funny. :lol:

You'd almost think some people on here were unable to objectively judge a musician without allowing their place in history of the band to colour their opinion...

U guys can blame axl all u want.  That doesnt change the reality : 

GUNS N ROSES IS BACK, slash is back in the band, also duff. They are REALLY FUCKIN HAPPYER THAN EVER .. Theyre about to get one the most succesfull tours ever, and thats it.  ( plus: axl is there, slash too, so is duff, adler will be there soon, and izzy, well izzy toured a little with axl on 2006 and 2012, and DIDNT went to hof induction thats enough to understand a lot of things) so the only two left out : gilby and matt.. But matt is the only one bitchin about it.    Its pretty clear for those who really wants to comprehend things.

So, axl haters,  false media suporters, axl blamers, trouble makers, blablabla..

For all of u, its GAME OVER. Gnr ( and axl/slash society ) is back

Just go and do that thing axl says just right there before it so easy guitar solo.

• Like 1

I can see the "VR clique" explanation as to why he wasn't asked. The three VR members could cause a split in some ways.

Then again, I also can see it as, "Well, he wasn't the original drummer, and he isn't loyal Frank Ferrer." Sorum was basically one of the middle children in the GNR drumming heritage. You either take the most recent /current (Frank) or the original (Adler).

I don't see Sorum as whining or complaining. He answered a fan question. Chill the fuck out, people. Pittman whined. Sorum is being cool. At least he's being upfront about it.

• Like 4

It's not just Axl who doesn't get along with Matt.

Even Duff (who is well-liked by everyone and gets along with everybody) admits in his newest book that he has found it hard to deal with Matt in the past. He contributed a lot to the tension in VR. Basically, Matt Sorum is full of himself and has a giant ego and I think his inclusion in the line-up would cause difficulties pretty quickly. And the current band realises that and that's why he wasn't even asked. With Axl and Slash you already have two people difficult people with big egos in the band, no need to add a third. I'm sure Duff already had/has his hands full making these two get along.

And let's not forget, Slash also "hates Matt Sorum" (if Axl is to be believed) :lol:

Personally, I've disliked Sorum ever since I discoverd GnR (about 12 years ago), so I really don't give a shit about him not being included.

Edited by Lumikki
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Frank has gotten more love this week than he has in the entire time he's been with Guns.  It's funny. :lol:

I know  there have  always been people who didnt like Matt, but I feel bad that he wasn't even asked.  That's got to hurt.  Just a guess,  but maybe the fact that he played in VR with Duff and Slash may have been a factor. 

I don't think Axl ever liked Matt and I think the feeling was mutual. Axl in his 2012 interview where he expressed a (then) theoretical willingness to play with Slash and Duff, said at the same time he didn't get along with the people who joined during the UYI tour (Matt and Gilby). I think with it being Axl, Slash and Duff, the egos are balanced. Whereas with Matt, maybe Matt was more confrontational with Axl and it upset that balance of egos leading to tension. We don't know what went on behind the scenes to the full extent, but Slash in his book does relate an incident which almost turned into a brawl between Axl and Matt. Maybe, for the sake of the band staying intact, it is better that Matt is not involved. 

I think Axl and Matt had a similar relationship to the one Slash and Paul Tobias shared. In that, Matt was Slash's "boy" and Paul was Axl's "boy". Bands like Guns or the Stones are a delicate balancing act of egos and factions. Personalities in these kinds of groups matter. Ronnie Wood, because he was able to get along with both Mick and Keith, is credited with keeping the Stones from having imploded - and he got shit on by both sides equally. Mick Taylor on the other hand was tight with Mick Jagger, and hated and shit on by Keith, which in large measure led to him quitting. 

I don't think the response Matt gave was whining at all. Someone asked him the question. Now that the lineup is known, he was able to answer. He didn't go off on a hissy fit or go to the press crying "They didn't choose meeeee..." Worth noting that even though he wasn't involved, he gave GnR the courtesy of not spilling the beans on their lineup in advance of their first shows.

I do find that exchange between Adler and Matt very hard to believe -- seems that in Adler's accounts of things, everyone's always heaping praise on him. I fully believe that if Matt had been asked, he would have done it -- just as he did Velvet Revolver and Slash's project. 

I think it's way more plausible that Frank has always been the first choice of drummer for this reunion/reconfiguration -- he remained in the NuGnR band, Axl likes him, Duff and Slash seem to like him and play well with him too, and having him there does mean that it's not the VR Three Vs. Axl. He was there, they didn't want to use either Matt or Adler, and they just stuck with him.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Just gonna say you lot are delusional if you think Steven would never learn the uyi songs if they asked him to be their drummer. The guy would do anything to be the drummer in GNR again.

You think if they invited him back into the band he'd go "nah, not gonna learn the illusion songs, Matt FTW." ? Fuck no

/rant

He said as much in one of his Eddie Trunk interviews in the fall. I'm a huge Steven fan and I'm rooting for him, but I didn't just make that up. It sounded like he didn't consider UYI to even be "real" GNR. He said he'd want to bring Matt on for them.

I mean maybe if they issued him an ultimatum and said if you want the job you'd be alone, learn all the songs, he'd try.... but he didn't seem interested and I don't know if he could, to be honest.... DTJ... Estranged... Coma. I think he'd keep healthy for a tour, but I don't know if he'd learn 20+ new songs capably and confidently for a stadium tour.

Edited by Ant

Honestly my drummer does a way better job than Frank.

I wasn't over the moon about the guy being in over Steven and Matt, preferred Matt to be THE drummer but after seeing some of the songs and seeing the smile Frank had and the fun he was having I warmed up to him and was rooting for him to do well...that WAS before I heard the drumming on November Rain, tempo fuck ups on Paradise City and playing catch up when he fucks up instead of continuing on to where he's supposed to be from the fuck up. What a downer.

Franks rhythm is all over the place, his timing is off more than Adler while he's strung out and his tempo will speed & slow at a moments notice and then he tries to make up for it by playing faster than a madman. I have no problem with playing faster, but it sounds all over the place.

Matt vs Steven is a subjective argument...Frank vs them should be an easy judgment call. Get Steven or Matt!, Or at least compromise and have Brent Fitz do it! He can at least drum precise & have groove.

Edited by SlashElvisTCB
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Surely not from me. The guy is doing a horrible job.

I never liked Matt, but at least he was doing his job properly, so I'd take him back (twisting my nose as I write this...) to replace Mr Ferrer.

2 hours ago, Ant said:

He said as much in one of his Eddie Trunk interviews in the fall. I'm a huge Steven fan and I'm rooting for him, but I didn't just make that up. It sounded like he didn't consider UYI to even be "real" GNR. He said he'd want to bring Matt on for them.

I mean maybe if they issued him an ultimatum and said if you want the job you'd be alone, learn all the songs, he'd try.... but he didn't seem interested and I don't know if he could, to be honest.... DTJ... Estranged... Coma. I think he'd keep healthy for a tour, but I don't know if he'd learn 20+ new songs capably and confidently for a stadium tour.

Would Steven actually be that stupid? I mean he has been begging to come back for 25 years, and if he gets to do so he is going to be high maintenance, have opinions about what songs are "real GNR" and refuse to play anything else, forcing the shows to be tailored around the drumming? That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. 

2 hours ago, Changes said:

Would Steven actually be that stupid? I mean he has been begging to come back for 25 years, and if he gets to do so he is going to be high maintenance, have opinions about what songs are "real GNR" and refuse to play anything else, forcing the shows to be tailored around the drumming? That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard. 

If Steven comes back they should just keep all the songs strictly from Appetite and Lies. It would be a slap in the face of the real GNR to not keep it true to their original sound. I don't even see why they ever learned any new songs. It was disrespectful to the original 5. 

Edited by Mr. Dude