Why are the standing areas so small?

18 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

I'm amazed at the reaction here - I thought it would be very partisan towards fully standing. I genuinely have never seen a gig where they had so many seats. Each to their own I guess, but as a 26 year old 6'1" guy I love the standing tickets.

I guess a lot of us don't want to be that person behind you trying to watch the show through your armpits. :P

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SoNobodyToldYaBaby said:

Because americans are fat lazy cunts. European gnr fans will be the same age and i guarantee it will be mostly standing. Just like a gnr gig should be. 

I was at the Vegas show, night 2. Not one person was sitting. So eat a dick. People here have a higher IQ and don't want to spend $700 on a ticket where you get constantly hit by drunk smelly sweaty heathens. I was on the floor, it was amazing being able to stand, not get my space violated, I could walk to the bathroom in 2 seconds, get beer whenever I wanted. So fuck you.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mr_Sparkle said:

I was at the Vegas show, night 2. Not one person was sitting. So eat a dick. People here have a higher IQ and don't want to spend $700 on a ticket where you get constantly hit by drunk smelly sweaty heathens. I was on the floor, it was amazing being able to stand, not get my space violated, I could walk to the bathroom in 2 seconds, get beer whenever I wanted. So fuck you.

Tell 'em how you really feel bro.

4 hours ago, view said:

Not sure why you feel offended here, no one is belittling you… I am in a seat myself next GNR show, just wondering about this as we never see it in Europe, that is all.

Oh, I'm sorry -- that wasn't directed toward your comment, it was in response to whomever said that the seats were because Americans were "fat lazy cunts." Didn't dig that remark.

4 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I've always preferred seats. Even when I was younger I preferred seats. I've always hated standing for anything, least of all two-three hours at a rock show. Whenever I have been standing too long, I tend to do that penguin like motion, interchanging the pressure between my left foot and right. I also hate to be among a load of sweaty rock people without any obvious exit point, not being able to leave for the toilet or a beer. 

If you look at the great shows from the late '60s and early '70s, Woodstock, Monterey, The Stones during this period, Hendrix at the Royal Albert Hall, the crowd sit down and quietly listen and contemplate the wonderful music being played. A heavy round of applause suffices to show your enthusiasm. It is the stupid metal rubbish which made crowds feel they had to stand up and act like idiots.

I started going for seats after I was almost trampled in a pit when I was a teenager. I came very close to being very badly hurt -- I went down and stayed down, and it was only my luck that someone saw, pulled me up and got me out of the crowd. I was almost unconscious by the time we reached security. Thank God someone saw me, because if they hadn't, I really think it could have ended incredibly badly.

And I agree, I hate this idea that it's become customary to mosh and crush everyone else and stand the whole time. To each their own, if they enjoy that, but I hate that so many consider it the status quo.

Edited by stella
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, stella said:

I started going for seats after I was almost trampled in a pit when I was a teenager. I came very close to being very badly hurt -- I went down and stayed down, and it was only my luck that someone saw, pulled me up and got me out of the crowd. I was almost unconscious by the time we reached security. Thank God someone saw me, because if they hadn't, I really think it could have ended incredibly badly.

And I agree, I hate this idea that it's become customary to mosh and crush everyone else and stand the whole time. To each their own, if they enjoy that, but I hate that so many consider it the status quo.

Glad you're ok dude...a lot of people tend to forget the issues that have been had with GA seating and these types of injuries and deaths in the US over the years.  Part of the reason GA sections tend to be smaller I believe.

i actually like the smaller GA sections, seated sections close to the stage tend to "gold circle or VIP" or some other higher price point...so I just get GA and stand in the back, closer than what I would have paid a premium for to get a close seat.

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, CAFC Nick said:

I'm amazed at the reaction here - I thought it would be very partisan towards fully standing. I genuinely have never seen a gig where they had so many seats. Each to their own I guess, but as a 26 year old 6'1" guy I love the standing tickets.

Just because there are seats doesn't mean you have to sit. Waiting in line is one of my least favorite things to do, if I can have reserved seats and show up later then perfect. Movie theaters here are starting to assign seats, I love it. Can buy my ticket, show up 1 minute before the show starts, no line, no standing in line and I don't have to sit in the front. 

1 minute ago, Mr_Sparkle said:

Just because there are seats doesn't mean you have to sit. Waiting in line is one of my least favorite things to do, if I can have reserved seats and show up later then perfect. Movie theaters here are starting to assign seats, I love it. Can buy my ticket, show up 1 minute before the show starts, no line, no standing in line and I don't have to sit in the front. 

Don't have to wait in line for GA either, several of us entered like 30 minutes before GnR hit the stage Saturday night in GA, one of us was no more than 6-7 rows back on the right.  I was probably 8ish rows back before I ran to the restroom and came back about 12 rows deep when the lights were down.

9 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Glad you're ok dude...a lot of people tend to forget the issues that have been had with GA seating and these types of injuries and deaths in the US over the years.  Part of the reason GA sections tend to be smaller I believe.

i actually like the smaller GA sections, seated sections close to the stage tend to "gold circle or VIP" or some other higher price point...so I just get GA and stand in the back, closer than what I would have paid a premium for to get a close seat.

Thank you very much. :) It was not a good way to end a concert, that's for certain. I agree that it's probably one of the reasons that the GA sections have gotten smaller. It's a lot easier for bad things to happen when there are tens of thousands in GA standing; it's a lot easier to see problems and help people in trouble when there's only half or a quarter of that many fans standing.

Smaller GA sections also definitely do seem as though they make it easier to get a good place to see the show. They seen to have been doing all sorts of configurations at different venues now...at the Wiltern they have a strange thing with GA where it's standing downstairs, but they only allow so many people in each section of the floor and there are actually barriers in each section.

Edited by stella

5 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Don't have to wait in line for GA either, several of us entered like 30 minutes before GnR hit the stage Saturday night in GA, one of us was no more than 6-7 rows back on the right.  I was probably 8ish rows back before I ran to the restroom and came back about 12 rows deep when the lights were down.

Most people do, and it is not nearly as easy to get drinks, leave, go the the restroom. I highly doubt your experience was so much better than mine that it would ever make me want to step foot into the cesspool of GA. 

Just now, Mr_Sparkle said:

Most people do, and it is not nearly as easy to get drinks, leave, go the the restroom. I highly doubt your experience was so much better than mine that it would ever make me want to step foot into the cesspool of GA. 

My experience was awesome....I came and went as I pleased, ran back to the restroom twice and got a water once..moved around for several different viewpoints.  Got right up next to stage left at one point before I realized I was in a walkway and security told me to move.

some tall dude got in front of me...I moved, wasn't stuck behind him.  Was also closer than you. 

Glad you enjoyed yours...I loved my experience.  Going to probably do it again in Chicago.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

My experience was awesome....I came and went as I pleased, ran back to the restroom twice and got a water once..moved around for several different viewpoints.  Got right up next to stage left at one point before I realized I was in a walkway and security told me to move.

some tall dude got in front of me...I moved, wasn't stuck behind him.  Was also closer than you. 

Glad you enjoyed yours...I loved my experience.  Going to probably do it again in Chicago.

I don't need to be close enough to see Axl's camel toe to enjoy the show. Sound is usually better a little farther back too. 

2 minutes ago, Mr_Sparkle said:

I don't need to be close enough to see Axl's camel toe to enjoy the show. Sound is usually better a little farther back too. 

No worries man....I was worried about the sound honestly, but it was very good up there fortunately.

• Like 1

I just think it looks really lame to have the entire floor GA. You are only permitted so many on the floor (fire code), so when everyone is jammed up front, half the floor looks empty. Kinda sucks the energy out of the rest of the crowd.

Plus I'm older (44), I don't want to stand for hours waiting, and like having my own little personal area. Besides, they don't always let beer into the GA area...and that is a problem. I've seen them about 10 times, I don't need to be that close.

Actually, it seemed that the Las Vegas standing area was larger than advertised and not because of the missing runway.  The chairs actually started further back than the map indicated.  In basketball arena terms, it seemed that the seats started closer to center court. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tsinindy said:

^~~This, definitely this. I was lucky enough to get GA Pit for pgh, and FUCK standing in line for eight hours to get in. I love that these pits are so small. Standing in the back equates to a second or third row from the stage ticket. I'm used to standing room only pits for GWAR, Slayer, Lamb of God etc so this little GnR pit will be great cuz you don't gotta worry about getting knocked around too much and if your REAL persistent it's not all that hard to get right up front anyway.

I get why people choose for seats, I really do... But I'm female, 41 and extremely small an still I would always go for standing tickets.

btw in Germany these are the cheapest tickets you can get and they're sold out first.

we don't line up 8 hours in advance and if you try to stay close to the stage either on right or left side, you will be safe.

I had seats sometimes before but I have to admit: it's boring as hell ^^

Actually this discussion and the differences of opinions only prove that there should be seats - both seats and standing pit - so that everyone can go for what they like best and be happy.

You just need to be careful with the high seats in the stadiums. I had one like that during Roger Waters The Wall and the acoustics there were so shitty I almost couldn't hear anything. That was a real let down :(

• Like 1

18 hours ago, alfierose said:

I guess a lot of us don't want to be that person behind you trying to watch the show through your armpits. :P

True. But with standing, you're at least able to move to stand behind someone less tall or try to get in front of him. With seating, you're fucked, if the the person in front of you is a giant. Another reason why seats suck.

Edited by PatrickS77