"Last Roar Of Rock Dinosaur" (Telegraph, UK Newspaper)

stopped reading at  By the time Nirvana and grunge came along with something meatier and more purposeful,GNR already looked somewhat anachronistic. Virtuoso guitarist Slash (for some the band’s only redeeming feature) departed in 1993 because he could no longer tolerate his frontman’s erratic behaviour and GNR have continued effectively as an Axl Rose solo project.

this was written by the killing bono guy

Neil McCormick is the Telegraph's chief pop and rock music critic. He is an author, television presenter and radio pundit.

Neil was born England in 1961 and grew up in Scotland and Ireland. He attended Mount Temple Comprehensive in Dublin with members of U2 and was a singer in several bands, including Yeah!Yeah! (1980-83) and Shook Up! (1984-89).

His musical misadventures are laid out in painful detail in his memoir Killing Bono (originally published by Penguin in 2003 as I Was Bono's Doppelganger).

Sir Elton John described it as "the best book I have ever read about trying to make it in the music business." A film of Killing Bono was released by Paramount in 2011, with Ben Barnes starring as Neil and Martin McCann as Bono. Neil collaborated on U2's autobiography, U2 By U2 (Harper Collins, 2005)

Neil's journalistic career started at Hot Press music magazine in Dublin in 1978. He was a contributing editor for GQ magazine from 1990-96 and has been rock critic for the Daily Telegraph since 1996.

A regular guest on BBC TV and radio shows, since 2012 Neil has presented his own interview show on Vintage TV, Neil McCormick's Needle Time.

Neil still occasionally makes music under the alias The Ghost Who Walks and as frontman for Groovy Dad.

• Like 1

The thing I find completely comical is so many of these hacks are already writing articles trying to downplay this GNR comeback and claiming it's overrated etc... yet, if it wasn't a big deal, and really wasn't important to so many, they wouldn't be writing their articles in the first place! Many of these people are nerdy, little twerps who grew up listening  to Men Without Hats and had Depeche Mode posters on their walls! This is a huge deal for rock-n-roll...period!

• Like 4

Michael Jackson's "Invincible" Mariah Carey's Glitter", Neil Young's Geffen era, the 4 KISS solo albums, and Lady Gaga's "Artpop" were bigger failures as far as money goes. 

The vast majority of fans going to see these shows never saw them back in the day. So as I always ask when the word "nostalgia" comes up, whose nostalgia is he talking about? There's a lot of people who gave up on GNR when Slash left, they're getting those fans back. GNR have always had new fans coming into the mix ever since Slash left. 

Is it the last roar of a "dinosaur"? Maybe but that's a whole other topic about the music industry. 

There's no hate regarding Adler & Stradlin, but either GNR does a residency with the original 5 or they do a big tour with a revamped lineup mixing up old and new, like The Cure have done. The door is open to Brain & Robin taking part in the reunion because they were a big part of the ChiDem album and could be taking part in the next album. Izzy's been a special guest but they have no plans to make him a full time member. He'll probably write songs with Duff and Slash for the next album though.

Steven's a wild card , but if it's true he was IN rehearsals with GNR (probably got paid for the rehearsals), we'll see him at some point on stage with them. Izzy's probably pissed he's missing out on the millions Slash, Duff and Axl are getting to not even bother going...it iS about money with him (Axl said on here Izzy tried to negotiate with the former manager behind his back to get more money).  Matt's in the loop and I'm sure Duff will call him as far as guest appearances go. 

I like how forum members insult and dismiss any review that isn't 100% positive about GnR. 

This reporter isn't delusional or a fool or an idiot. He just has a different opinion than you do about a band. To insult him for that just shows a lack of maturity on your part and makes you sound ignorant. 

I am as big of a sane fan of Axl has anybody on this forum. But I can still admit the last 20 years has been a total cluster-F. 

• Like 4

The article seemed pretty factual to me.  Not sure why everyone dismissed LIES though... There were still 8 songs on it which aligns with any great album of the 70's.. Patience was a huge hit.. Used To Love her is popular and gets radio play even though it wasn't a single.. One In A Million is one of GnR fans top songs.

LOVE me some fucking LIES.. I saw that "Nice Boys" is listed as an alternate song.. If Axl can pull that off like he did in that 2010 clip.. oh boy!!! Frank even knows how to play that one ;)

31 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

The article seemed pretty factual to me.  Not sure why everyone dismissed LIES though... There were still 8 songs on it which aligns with any great album of the 70's.. Patience was a huge hit.. Used To Love her is popular and gets radio play even though it wasn't a single.. One In A Million is one of GnR fans top songs.

LOVE me some fucking LIES.. I saw that "Nice Boys" is listed as an alternate song.. If Axl can pull that off like he did in that 2010 clip.. oh boy!!! Frank even knows how to play that one ;)

pretty factual ? your not serious are you ?

it has silly little mistakes like axl performed in a wheelchair with a broken ankle when he performed on a chair(the throne) with a broken foot to much bigger mistakes like izzy and steven have not been invited back because axl presumably hates them more than he hated slash.

no research whatsoever has gone into this and there are so many mistakes throughout the article 

4 minutes ago, donny said:

pretty factual ? your not serious are you ?

it has silly little mistakes like axl performed in a wheelchair with a broken ankle when he performed on a chair(the throne) with a broken foot to much bigger mistakes like izzy and steven have not been invited back because axl presumably hates them more than he hated slash.

no research whatsoever has gone into this and there are so many mistakes throughout the article 

Sorry Donny Boy.. Factual was probably the wrong word to use but the theme of the article overall wasn't that far off from reality.

3 hours ago, Apollo said:

I like how forum members insult and dismiss any review that isn't 100% positive about GnR. 

This reporter isn't delusional or a fool or an idiot. He just has a different opinion than you do about a band.

I love how forum members dismiss the notion of someone being delusional or a fool or an idiot on the sole merit of having an "opinion". Those things aren't exclusive. You can have an opinion and still be an any or all of those things, as the writer of that piece surely proved (he couldn't get simple facts straight). As someone else pointed out above, referring to Nirvana as something meatier and more purposeful shows a complete lack of awareness. That's not an opinion, that's just flat wrong -- similarly to saying that, in your opinion, the sky is green.

As for the past 20 years part of it, I largely agree.

Edited by thunderram

It's a pretty good piece in all. Some things -- like the Nirvana part -- I disagree with, as I do the reasons why Izzy and Adler aren't around.

But as for storytelling goes, it has an upward trajectory that shifts from negative to generally positive.

The Guns N’ Roses people are paying to see is an imaginary version of the band, frozen in their prime. This is the return of a brand, not a band.

Even if you were too young to have witnessed them first time around, as undoubtedly much of the audience at Coachella will be, Guns N’ Roses offer a gateway to a bygone age, with the near mythic allure that comes with survival and revival. Their greatest hits have had enough radio rotation to ensure they are soundtrack staples even for the generations that followed. For many, the attraction will be to witness the last roar of the rock dinosaur

That's a pretty good description of this. Ya' gotta remember MyGNR and HTGTH and other fan forums are the small minority of the rock fandom. In most people's eyes, GNR was a good-to-great rock band but nothing more. This writer's view is shared by many beyond the fanboy websites where we cherish the band on a much-higher-than-average level.

Edited by 3rd Wheel
  • Like 2

The band just move in eight years cycles. 1985-1993: the way to the top. 1993-2001: Old & New Intentions. 2001-2008: Enter The Dragon. 2008-2016: Supporting the songs, rebranding the band, sinful jesus. 2016-2024: The End. Epic reunion shows, CDII and III, fade to black.... 2027: Surprise 40th Appetite anniversary tour, release the vault.

Edited by Silent Jay

This article blows.  The author seems like an angry, unfulfilled person who projects his personal discontent onto his writing, which at the time happened to be about GNR.  His assertion that the interest surrounding this reunion is solely about nostalgia is absurd.  A significant amount of GNR's audience weren't even around during their heyday and being excited about seeing your favorite band live in concert isn't just about nostalgia, it's about wanting to be enthralled by hearing and seeing your favorite music performed in person.  

Edited by Tyson

10 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

Michael Jackson's "Invincible" Mariah Carey's Glitter", Neil Young's Geffen era, the 4 KISS solo albums, and Lady Gaga's "Artpop" were bigger failures as far as money goes. 

The vast majority of fans going to see these shows never saw them back in the day. So as I always ask when the word "nostalgia" comes up, whose nostalgia is he talking about? There's a lot of people who gave up on GNR when Slash left, they're getting those fans back. GNR have always had new fans coming into the mix ever since Slash left. 

Is it the last roar of a "dinosaur"? Maybe but that's a whole other topic about the music industry. 

There's no hate regarding Adler & Stradlin, but either GNR does a residency with the original 5 or they do a big tour with a revamped lineup mixing up old and new, like The Cure have done. The door is open to Brain & Robin taking part in the reunion because they were a big part of the ChiDem album and could be taking part in the next album. Izzy's been a special guest but they have no plans to make him a full time member. He'll probably write songs with Duff and Slash for the next album though.

Steven's a wild card , but if it's true he was IN rehearsals with GNR (probably got paid for the rehearsals), we'll see him at some point on stage with them. Izzy's probably pissed he's missing out on the millions Slash, Duff and Axl are getting to not even bother going...it iS about money with him (Axl said on here Izzy tried to negotiate with the former manager behind his back to get more money).  Matt's in the loop and I'm sure Duff will call him as far as guest appearances go. 

It's nostalgia for an experience you never had.

Generation X was right. 

13 hours ago, dalsh327 said:

michael jacksosn invincible was not failure because it was a bad album ti was a failure because sony refused to promote it , they sabotaged michael jackson because of micahel big stake in the ATV catalogue. Michael held protests against sony around that time, and his album did become number 1 all around the world except for America.  

Well, it's a pretty nasty op-ed. And I'm trying to figure out the caption on that one photo...I mean, the thing about Axl borrowing Dave Grohl's throne was big news last week, and just by looking at the image one can tell that the man is not in a wheelchair...pay attention, FFS. And saying that Izzy and Adler aren't there because Axl "hates" them is sensationalist and unnecessary.

I do think it probably reflects the popular opinion about the band, though. Let's be real, most of the world hasn't paid attention since the mid-90s. Yeah, they've seen band members doing things here and there and in 2006 Axl did get a lot of mostly positive mainstream media attention (if there was one point where NuGnR could have really taken off...right there IMHO), but for the most part? If they know anything it's that Axl and Slash fought for a long time, and that Chinese Democracy took a long time to come out.

Sounds like a guy who's own efforts have gone largely ignored so he takes it out on others who remotely seem to be succeeding while he searches for the elusive big break.Just a bitter little git world's full of them.

5 hours ago, kjejuju said:

michael jacksosn invincible was not failure because it was a bad album ti was a failure because sony refused to promote it , they sabotaged michael jackson because of micahel big stake in the ATV catalogue. Michael held protests against sony around that time, and his album did become number 1 all around the world except for America.  

Invincible went to number 1 in the US as well.