Rare 1991 Marc Racco directed videos.

Hey! I'm a huge Guns N' Roses fan, I'm from Romania ( Civil War was first released in 1990, on an album called Nobody's Child : Romanian Angel Appeal :))  and being a freak on Gnr stuff I just noticed on you tube 3 videos i did't knew. Aparently they are from the first leg of the Use Your Illusion Tour, 1991, filmed and directed by some guy named Marc Racco. The songs are My Michelle, Mr. Brownstone and You Could Be Mine. The YCBM video is basically the same footage used in the original video but without the scenes from Terminator II. The other two are completely new to me (and awesome). Sorry if this has already been posted, but i didn't noticed it. If not, enjoy!

Edited by vicson
  • Like 4

yeah, those videos appeared on different promo dvd's from Geffen for UYI. places like Tower Records and Wherehouse Music had all kinds of rare promo stuff.

Brownstone and Michelle were filmed at the Pantages show on May 11, 1991. not sure where the stage performance of YCBM was filmed, but it wasn't at the Pantages.

there were 3 'secret' warm-up theatre shows in early May 1991 before the UYI tour officially kicked off - S.F. (Warfield), L.A. (Pantages), and NYC (Ritz).. each are about 2,000 capacity venues, though the Ritz has been closed for years now.

From what I remember (this has been discussed here before) the video to Brownstone (and probably the video to Michelle) were like a "test" for Marc Racco. If he did good on those videos, then he would be hired to direct You Could Be Mine. If I am not mistaken that explanation came from Marc Racco himself and the videos were also posted by himself in his own Youtube channel.

Apparently GNR liked Marc Racco videos and he was hired to do the You Could Be Mine video

very good stuff, my only criticism...like in my michelle, its pointless to be trying to synch the song with Axl's lips on stage, its probably incredibly rare to get it right, and he was WAY off in the one.

But, i had seen every G N R Video a million times, and it was very cool to see these and see footage i had not ever seen before

10 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Just goes to show a GNR show is not a GNR show unless Axl is being a frontman.

His foot needs to heal fast. Not having him moving on stage is not a good way to kick off this "reunion".

:lol:what? Plenty of people were very entertained at the shows last week, broken foot or not.

• Like 1

YCBM is a GREAT video, one of (maybe favorite) they ever did. I was always mad that it wasn't on welcome to the videos. But Mr. Brownstone I always had a problem with. It just FEELS so out of place. I know it's not technically an "official" video, but it kinda is. Which makes it even worse. I don't hate it, but I'd rather ignore it myself. Not having Steven in it, and even the overall vibe of the band just doesn't match what's in that video. Again, it just feels out of place imo.

I've never given My Michelle the time of day. Maybe I'll watch it now, but given the comments on this thread, its probably worse than brownstone. 

UPDATE

I just watched it for about 1 minute, and turned it off. Anybody that KNOWS this band knows their are 4 different versions (not counting any NUgnr line ups). Appetite era, Illusion era 1, Illusion era 2, and current. Even though the band in the videos are the Illusion era 1 line up, which having Izzy makes it feel more legit than seeing Gilby playing those songs, seeing Matt instead of Adler just feels wrong. But that's not my only issue, everybody LOOKS different. Even Axl, Slash, and the others don't look right to me in those videos, especially Axl. Axl changed a lot for the release of the Illusions, which is fine imo (except for the short shorts lol). But seeing Illusion Axl singing an Appetite song just doesn't mesh right in my mind. Now playing it live, that's fine. But for the album version, it HAS to be Appetite Axl. Those videos don't have that. So those are MY reasons why I choose to ignore those 2 videos.

But YCBM is fucking great.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

11 hours ago, SWINGTRADER said:

Just goes to show a GNR show is not a GNR show unless Axl is being a frontman.

His foot needs to heal fast. Not having him moving on stage is not a good way to kick off this "reunion".

As a paying customer I would rather have Axl sit or stand and preserve his voice than run around like crazy and be constantly out of breath. 

17 hours ago, paranoyd androyd said:

yeah, those videos appeared on different promo dvd's from Geffen for UYI. places like Tower Records and Wherehouse Music had all kinds of rare promo stuff.

Brownstone and Michelle were filmed at the Pantages show on May 11, 1991. not sure where the stage performance of YCBM was filmed, but it wasn't at the Pantages.

there were 3 'secret' warm-up theatre shows in early May 1991 before the UYI tour officially kicked off - S.F. (Warfield), L.A. (Pantages), and NYC (Ritz).. each are about 2,000 capacity venues, though the Ritz has been closed for years now.

The Ritz is still open..just called Webster Hall now, it's one of the most ridiculous places I have ever been..

36 minutes ago, Apollo said:

As a paying customer I would rather have Axl sit or stand and preserve his voice than run around like crazy and be constantly out of breath. 

Maybe this broken foot thing means he will slowly work up to it so everyone will get the best of both worlds.

The people who want an energetic exciting show and those who want awesome vocals/sound will both be happy.

YCBM is also partly directed by special effects director Stan Winston. He did all the Terminator related stuff apart from the film clips.

I don't get why Racco windowboxed YCBM though. It was originaly shot in 4/3 format, not widescreen. If he wanted to convert to widescreen, he should have upgraded to 16/9 instead of windowboxing, it looks like crap.

Edited by SidneyWish

On 15.04.2016 at 8:37 PM, Chilliconcarne said:

I thought axl and slash we're going to kiss in the my Michelle vid :lol:

That scene is actually great :) I wish I knew where it's from and had the footage uncut and longer...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GunsNRevolvers2 said:

The Ritz is still open..just called Webster Hall now, it's one of the most ridiculous places I have ever been..

That space has been known as Webster Hall ever since it was built in the late 1800's and it's a designated landmark. 'The Ritz Club' (separate entity) rented that space during the 80's, but then it closed shop there in '89 and moved into the old Studio 54 space before also closing there in the 90's. That was the point at which 'The Ritz Club/Promotions/Group' ceased to exist, over two decades ago.

22 hours ago, Kater said:

I've seen them all, but nothing beats YCBM...I never understood why this video is hard to find, it was not on Welcome To The Videos, it wasn't on their site, YT channel...

I always assumed it was because of the terminator footage and licensing issues

On 15 de abril de 2016 at 3:37 PM, Chilliconcarne said:

I thought axl and slash we're going to kiss in the my Michelle vid :lol:

Yeah!!! I've always wondered about that! What's going on there, huh???

does anyone know which show those scenes are from?