Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

wow my friends all know that i love GNR and ACDC and i told them id pay beers to everyone if this EVER happens!

and now it seems that is is indeed happening

This is a complete miracle that Axl Rose -- the mercurial primadonna singer with the blown voice -- is actually singing for ac/dc.

Because ac/dc songs are REALLY HARD TO SING

and because who could think that a no-nonsense clockwork-type band like ac/dc would ever accept axl-i-am-always-late-rose for a tour! 

This really raises some interesting topics...

AXL VOICE IS PROBABLY BETTER THAN WE ALL THOUGHT - No one involved on this (not Axl, not ACDC) would agree to do these 20 shows if they were not 100% certain that Axl can sing the songs at least properly. The fact that Axl somehow sounded good on the threeunion shows -- way better than anytime on the last 15 years -- points out to the fact that Axl's voice is probably in a much better shape than we all thought. Which brings the question... what happened to his voice? Are we all in a sort of trance-state because of the threeunion and that makes us all perceive Axl's voice as "better"? Has Axl Rose intentionally changed the way he sang on the last 15 years to fit his "new vision" for Guns n Roses? Has Axl been intentionally saving his voice during the last 15 years for the inevitable Guns n Roses reunion?

AXL VOICE WILL BE FINE - Anyone that has ever tried to sing an AC/DC song knows that it is really demanding. Bon and Brian can hit some really insane high notes that are really hard to hit. There are no low voice songs on AC/DC and there are no AC/DC ballads. To sing 15 AC/DC songs in one night should be really demanding and to do that on 20 dates is even more. So yeah it is very likely that Axl's voice will be a bit harmed by all this. But probably not much since Axl has learned to sing in a different way on the last 2 decades -- a much more controlled and less damaging way. He would probably never take part on this if he wasn't 100% sure that he can pull it off without damaging his voice.

THE AXL ROSE CATALOG WILL GROW 15 OR 20 SONGS IN A MONTH - Anyone that loves Axl Rose and Guns n Roses should be realy happy with this. Like downzy said in this very thread, we dont have that many songs with Axl Roses on vocals and in about a month we will have a double album of Axl Rose singing 15 or 20 "new" songs! Fuck, we waited how many fucking years for Axl Roses to release a mess of an album with some really weird songs on it. Now we are about to have Axl singing 15 or 20 of the best rock n rol songs ever written. This is not Axl joining U2, this is not Axl joining Bon Jovi, this is not Axl joining Motley CRue. This is Axl joining fucking AC/DC and singing fucking Back in Black, motherfucking Highway to Hell and For Those About to fuckinfg Rock. This is an insane, once-in-a-lifetime thing. I cant understand any Axl Rose fan not being happy with this.

WE NEED A SOUNDBOARDING RECORDING OF THIS - To make it all perfect, we will get at least ONE ful show soundboard recording of the Axl/DC dates. Problem is that AC/DC soundboards are some of the hardest to get in the rock world! AC/DC fans will know that there are very few AC/DC bootlegs with soundboard recording circulating among fans. I remember one or two from 1985 (one of them is actually from rehearsals for the tour), one or two from 1981 (that actually do NOT sound like SDB recordings), and also one more that recently surfaced on youtube from a 1988 concert without malcom. I dont remember any other AC/DC boot with SDB recording. So I guess we should all cross our fingers!

I WONT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE SETLIST - If you get bored by Guns n Roses setlists, you should try to be an AC/DC fan. They have been playing the same 15-20 songs for the last 20 years! It really sucks. Very few changes from tour to tour and some songs are ALWAYS on the set like Back in Black, Highway to Hell, For Those About to Rock, Thunderstruck, Dirty Deeds, Whole Lotta Rosie... It gets really boring to see the band playing the same old war-horses, specially given their tremendous catalog. But now that Axl is gonna sing them, i dont mind. I wont complain about the same old setlist. I actually wanna see Axl singing them all. But I also wont complain if they include "Touch too Much" and "Let me Put My Love Into You" and "You Aint Got a Hold on me" on the set!

ONLY CRAZY PEOPLE WILL BE COMPLAINING - If Axl was to join AC/DC permanently, I could understand both GNR fans and ACDC fans pissed off. Thats is not the case. Its only 20 fucking dates. Enjoy it or get out of the way -- because I will enjoy it!

IF ONLY MALCOM YOUNG AND PHIL RUDD WERE THERE - Ok, this is me being picky, but of course this would be even better if Malcom Young and Phil Rudd were still in the band. Actually not so much Malcom, because he is now unable to play and also because his nephew apparently manages to duplicate his style really well. But Phil Rudd will be greatly missed. His unique drumming style is as crucial to AC/DC sound as Steven Adler's drumming is to Guns n Roses. The bald guy that is replacing himhim (cant remember his name) is obviously a professional drummer but unfortunately he is not really able to duplicate the feel on the songs. I mean, he is not Frank-Ferrer-bad, but he is not a great fit for AC/DC.

IF ONLY THIS WAS 1989 - In 1989, AC/DC was at an all-time low after 2 or 3 really sub-par albums. They would have a tremendous comeback with "The Razor's Edge" but that would only be released in September 1990. As for Guns n Roses, the years 1989-90 were somewhat "lost years" as we all know. After touring non-stop for 2 years to promote Appetite in 1987-88, the band was nowhere to be seen in 1989 and 1990 except for the infamous 4 dates with the Rolling Stones in October 1989 and the April 1990 performance at Farm Aid Festival. Despite the inactivity, in 1989 Axl Rose was the most wanted rock star on the planet and had the best and most powerful voice in rock music. One can only dream how insane it would be if AC/DC had asked Axl Rose to perform 20 dates with the band back in 1989!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

The bald guy that is replacing himhim (cant remember his name) is obviously a professional drummer but unfortunately he is not really able to duplicate the feel on the songs. I mean, he is not Frank-Ferrer-bad, but he is not a great fit for AC/DC.

Dude, I agree with almost everything that you said. But that 'bald guy' on drums is Chris Fucking Slade who was in the band from '89 to '94 and was the drummer for Razor's Edge. He replaced Simon Wright who replaced Rudd in the band, when he (Wright) left to join Dio. He left the band when Rudd rejoined and he's the best possible guy to do the job right now, with all the problems that Rudd has.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Dude, I agree with almost everything that you said. But that 'bald guy' on drums is Chris Fucking Slade who was in the band from '89 to '94 and was the drummer for Razor's Edge. He replaced Simon Wright who replaced Rudd in the band, when he (Wright) left to join Dio. He left the band when Rudd rejoined and he's the best possible guy to do the job right now, with all the problems that Rudd has.

Hey man its ok to disagree, i know that Chris was in ACDC before (i just didnt remember his name, sorry if i sounded disrespectful)

BUT in my book he SUCKS as an AC/DC drummer.

That live album from the Razors Edge tour is the worst live album by AC/DC in my book.

Back then I was young and I didnt really care -- i was just happy to listen to ACDC -- but when Phil returned to the band... EVERYTHING CHANGED! The sound ad the rhythm was so much better!

i am sure Chris has got to be a really nice guy and i am sure he is a great drummer i just think he is not fit to ACDC style.

I think there are dozens of drummers who could do a better job!

1 minute ago, k12 said:

AC/DC fans are pretty much livid looking at their forums, and I am sure seeing these videos of Guns and Angus is not going to help

I beg to differ. It's a good PR move given that AC/DC fans will now have a reference to see what they can expect. Angus coming out to play also put aside the "hoax" rumours.

It's good for Axl that he'll have some post-injury 'rehab' in May and June to keep him active - and for us to have something to pass the time with.

AC/DC fans are already mega angry with Angus for playing Riff Raff with GNR after not playing it with AC/DC this millennium, so if AXL/DC break out some Bon era deep cuts on the tour, they might even have something to cheer up about too.

It doesn't interest me in the slightest, this news, liking both AC/DC and old Guns as I do. I would probably trade in my ticket, I have to say, If I had one. It is not so much that it is Axl fronting per se, but that without Brian there is nothing much left there really, nothing much justifying the pretense that it is 'AC/DC' you are seeing and not a mess; for instance, it was a difficult enough sell without Malcolm Young and you also lack Rudd now so you plonk on this Axl gimmick and it seems like a mess!  There is only really Angus and Cliff Williams left that is bona fide!

It does remind my of when Gillan was in Sabbath! Gimmicky!

But I'm simply disinterested in it, i.e. I am not even interested enough to follow this in the news and view the clips so there will not exactly be any criticism from me regarding Axl's vocal performance etc. 

2 minutes ago, Italian girl said:

What will GNR minus axl do in those weeks?

I am sure the millions they are raking in from these couple of shows, in addition to the millions they are already sitting on will give them alot of options

24 minutes ago, Bansidhe said:

"Ohhhh the nasty, ginger man is coming to ruin our precious band!!"

Might see if I can get down to Manchester for the show.

One of those once in a lifetime things.

:lol: I Lol'd at this.

Seriously, the Nasty Ginger Man is perfect for our band. Those who can't see it should stop whining.

I thought people would be a little more excited or at the very least intrigued by this. Seems like most are just crying about it. I mean, those shows either were going to happen with Axl or not happen at all so shouldn't people be happy they're at least honoring their dates? And doing so with a big name singer?