Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

3 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Axl might do well for Axl, but he's not Brian.  Just like nobody is Slash.  Anyone who is a hardcore fan of any band has their reasons for liking them.  You don't just replace that and expect there not  to be some backlash and unhappy fans. 

Axl being hired as a replacement may just be the biggest irony ever.  

Why risk the backclash this late in the game? 'DC are one of the only bands to have successfully replaced a key member. Brian established himself as a 'honourary' founder. 'DC were already pushing it by continuing without Malcolm, but this is stretching things far too far. It will not even feel like a DC show; it will feel more like some weird supergroup thing.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Patience 4 Axl said:

Axl might do well for Axl, but he's not Brian.  Just like nobody is Slash.  Anyone who is a hardcore fan of any band has their reasons for liking them.  You don't just replace that and expect there not  to be some backlash and unhappy fans. 

Axl being hired as a replacement may just be the biggest irony ever.  

It is funny for sure. Angus now finds himself in the same spot Axl was in from the mid-90's to now. Maybe he figured he would hire the expert in "Last Man Standing."

But it seems to me this is a good business decision. If Axl continues kicking ass on the AC/DC material, they should be able to get at least enough GN'R fans to replace AC/DC fans who refuse to attend the shows. 

There's pissed off fans who held onto their tickets but AC/DC already offered them refunds before this announcement came up and as far as I know those refunds still apply. They're also revisiting a lot of cities they played last year, so most of the hardcore fans already saw them with Brian. 

Rock Or Bust originally started off being this "what should we do to celebrate the 40th" and "should we carry on without Malcolm", then it turned into a new album and tour. 

The messed up part is this public "thank you for your services" letter Brian got. 

6 minutes ago, dalsh327 said:

There's pissed off fans who held onto their tickets but AC/DC already offered them refunds before this announcement came up and as far as I know those refunds still apply. They're also revisiting a lot of cities they played last year, so most of the hardcore fans already saw them with Brian. 

Rock Or Bust originally started off being this "what should we do to celebrate the 40th" and "should we carry on without Malcolm", then it turned into a new album and tour. 

The messed up part is this public "thank you for your services" letter Brian got. 

Is there a better way to celebrate 40th, than to include more Bon-era material (which now they'll do presumably).

Yes it's a chilling note, and it sounds as farewell.

6 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Why risk the backclash this late in the game? 'DC are one of the only bands to have successfully replaced a key member. Brian established himself as a 'honourary' founder. 'DC were already pushing it by continuing without Malcolm, but this is stretching things far too far. It will not even feel like a DC show; it will feel more like some weird supergroup thing.

People here defending Frank over Matt because the guy has been in the band for a 6 whole years, yet are obblivous to how AC/DC fans feel about someone coming in to replace Brian.  

I get that Angus isn't ready to let the band go, and I would personally hate to see the end of it myself, but there was a much better way to go about this imo.

• Like 1

On 4/17/2016 at 8:07 AM, DieselDaisy said:

It's always been Malcolm's or at least, the Young brothers' band. One or both of them decided to dump Dave Evans. To hire Bon. To fire Mark. To hire Cliff. To continue after Bon. To hire  Brian. To fire Rudd. To hire Simon. To hire Chris. To bring back Rudd. Malcolm couldn't continue and Angus decided to continue. To bring in Stevie. To (drop?)/continue after Brian. To hire Axl. I see it as perfectly fine in doing what's required to end or proceed to the end of the band in the manner Angus saw fit. Particularly if the reason was to honor the dates.

If what's being said about Brian is true, then that really is sad and dishonorable. However, till Brian says something on the matter, it is hearsay. It doesn't make sense to me that he would drop Brian if he could half sing. There have been times when he has sounded terrible over the last 30 years and they never dropped him. There has got to be a good reason for doing it. If Brian was unable to perform, I think that Angus was within his rights to decide to hire Axl to complete the tour.

Edited by The Archer

Here's the songs AC/DC did on this tour: 

Whole Lotta Rosie

Rock or Bust 
 Sin City 
Thunderstruck  
 Let There Be Rock  
Shoot to Thrill   
You Shook Me All Night Long     
High Voltage 
Highway to Hell
Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be  
Shot Down in Flames 
Rock 'n' Roll Train  
For Those About to Rock (We Salute You) 
 Back in Black  
Have a Drink on Me 
 Hells Bells  
Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder 
 T.N.T.  
Given the Dog a Bone
Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Baptism By Fire

Play Ball

The Jack 

40 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Axl clearly sings the Bon material better than Brian. Now. 

But let's not downplay Brian completely here. What you are seeing is the fifth or sixth version of Brian's voice since the time he joined the band. But, barring a few minor rebounds over the years, his voice has largely been decline since the mid 80's.

HOWEVER, the early '80s Brian Johnson was a different beast altogether. He was just the best vocalist in hard rock or metal on the planet at the time. I'd say THAT version of Brian Johnson was in contention to be the best Rock vocalist ever. THAT version of Brian Johnson could even out SING (not necessarily out perform) Bon on some of HIS songs. THAT version was phenomenal live. Go look up clips on youtube of Brian singing Bon material in the early years - 80-83/85. He was a dragon live. He was a phenom on Rosie. Electric on High Voltage. He made DDDC not just dirty but scary. I've seen one version of Brian singing DDDC live with his fist pumping and his voice booming, that I rate better than any version done by Bon. He's close to 70 now and been struggling for a while. Axl has done Rosie better than he has for many years. But let's not forget who exactly Brian Johnson once was and what he was capable of and what he did. 

I don't mean to diminish Brian in any way, he is an all time great rock singer, no argument there. But if I'm completely honest with you, AC/DC with Brian was always (imo) the best option, better than nothing, but still not REAL AC/DC. 

Let me clarify that, Back in Black is an all time great album, so he has that going for him (but to be honest I DO believe BON wrote some of those songs, but that's a different topic all together). But if you take Back in Black out of the equation, they are great songs here and there, but nothing else that I would call killer, album wise. I know many of you love flick the switch and fly on the wall, maybe I need to give them another chance? Perhaps I will. Honestly the last GREAT AC/DC song imo was Big Gun, and that was back in like 94. Rock or bust is ok, I even like Stiff upper lip, but I would not call any of that stuff great. Honestly the only songs from the Brian era that I would call great are (minus back in black); for those about to rock, who made who, thunderstruck, money talks, and big gun. Which obviously this is subjective, but I'm just telling my thoughts here, so if you ignore the BON era, they are not an all time great band, it's the BON era that really carries them to the legendary status. 

Which brings me to my main point, REAL AC/DC died in 1980. So even though Brian deserves our respect, and shouldn't be treated poorly by the band (if that is the case), in many fans opinions (mine included) they have been just "better than nothing" band for years. It was better to have Brian, than not have AC/DC, so that opinion still holds true for me now. Its better to have Axl than not have AC/DC.

Which again im not trying to "knock" Brian, because I do love the guy, but BON on his worst day was better than Brian was on his best. Yes Brian is probably the better vocalist, (i disagree, but whatever), but BON was a LEGEND. Brian was always just 2nd best. The albums speak for themselves, HIGHWAY to HELL IS the best AC/DC album, not Back in Black.

Edited by Iron MikeyJ

4 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I rate the Brian era higher. Black Ice is in my top five traditional rock albums of the last twenty years.

Really??? Better than the BON era? I mean we are all entitled to our own opinions, but it's the same as someone saying "CD is better than Appetite" or "NUgnr was better than REAL gnr." Which I know how you feel in reguards to those topics. But to REAL AC/DC fan, that isn't any different. But to each their own I suppose.

Just now, Iron MikeyJ said:

Really??? Better than the BON era? I mean we are all entitled to our own opinions, but it's the same as someone saying "CD is better than Appetite" or "NUgnr was better than REAL gnr." Which I know how you feel in reguards to those topics. But to REAL AC/DC fan, that isn't any different. But to each their own I suppose.

Sorry, I meant higher than you do, not higher than the Bon Era. The Bon era is far more consistent but I love the Brian era also.

• Like 1

This is great news for the die hard Axl fans more than anyone else- the ones who would buy into almost anything that Axl takes part in; of which on here and the other sites there are lots of.  I can't see Guns fans being this stoked if someone were to step in for Axl so can imagine why AC/DC fans might be a little disappointed regardless of if they like Axl/Guns.

I have never really been that interested in AC/DC so this isn't something that excites me in the slightest.

Fantastic for Axl's diciples though.

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

I don't mean to diminish Brian in any way, he is an all time great rock singer, no argument there. But if I'm completely honest with you, AC/DC with Brian was always (imo) the best option, better than nothing, but still not REAL AC/DC. 

Let me clarify that, Back in Black is an all time great album, so he has that going for him (but to be honest I DO believe BON wrote some of those songs, but that's a different topic all together). But if you take Back in Black out of the equation, they are great songs here and there, but nothing else that I would call killer album wise. I know many of you love flick the switch and fly on the wall, maybe I need to give them another chance? Perhaps I will. Honestly the last GREAT AC/DC song imo was Big Gun, and that was back in like 94. Rock or bust is ok, I even like Stiff upper lip, but I would not call any of that stuff great. Honestly the only songs from the Brian era that I would call great are (minus back in black); for those about to rock, who made who, thunderstruck, money talks, and big gun. Which obviously this is subjective, but I'm just tell in my thoughts here, so if you ignore the BON era, they are not an all time great band, it's the BON era that really carries them to the legendary status. 

Which brings me to my main point, REAL AC/DC died in 1980. So even though Brian deserves our respect, and shouldn't be treated poorly by the band (if that is the case), in many fans opinions (mine included) they have been just "better than nothing" band for years. It was better to have Brian, than not have AC/DC, so that opinion still holds true for me now. Its better to have Axl than not have AC/DC.

Which again in not trying to "knock" Brian, because I do love the guy, but BON on his worst day was better than Brian was on his best. Yes Brian is probably the better vocalist, (i disagree, but whatever), but BON was a LEGEND. Brian was always just 2nd best. The albums speak for themselves, HIGHWAY to HELL IS the best AC/DC album, not Back in Black.

There's plenty here that I agree with you on. HTH IS the best album (IMO - because it has Bon on it) and my favorite. Bon was the greatest - he is my all time favorite (hint: look at my avatar).  Yeah,  FTS, FOTW were great albums (but so were FTATR and the Razor's edge) . I think most of the rest of the albums were meh. I liked Black Ice a little and don't care for Rock or Bust. But still, meh. Part of this is because the Young brothers took over the song writing, and part of this is because Brian's voice deteriorated and his status in the band was diminished. But it was still the same band.

True, Bon was an entirely different animal from Brian. He was a true street poet of his generation. He was an awesome performer and a great singer ( I don't think that Brian was better than Bon overall, just that '80-'83 era Brian just hit a different plane altogether) , a truly unparalleled frontman . I think Bon was up there with the best of them or better than all of them as a frontman. I prefer Bon over Brian anyday. I prefer Bon era AC/DC over Brian era AC/DC. Brian compares poorly as a frontman. ( Though comparisons between them as frontmen are probably moot - Angus has always been the real frontman of AC/DC).

But, it was still AC/DC. HTH and BIB were both produced by Mutt Lange. But there is a clear continuity in both the sound of the music and the feel of the band from HTH to BIB. The latter is just darker. I know about the rumors about BIB, particularly about the lyrics for 'Have a Drink on me' supposedly having been seen in some sort of diary that Bon carried, but those have always been unsubstantiated. There is a clear difference in the lyrical quality and substance from HTH to BIB. The somber mood and tone and substance just couldn't have been written without the effect of Bon's death on the band. It couldn't have been written by someone who loved life and was in his prime, as Bon was. Even on something like Night Prowler, the darkest song in Bon's canon, the guy throws in a fucking Mork and Mindy reference. That was Bon for you. He was all about Sex, fun and Rock N' Roll. I've always liked to believe that Bon wrote at least some of the lyrics to BIB, but I don't believe that he did. The AC/DC that Brian helped sustain and create is the monster we have today. The AC/DC before that was like Guns before the success of Appetite. A great band that was largely unknown.Truth - more people know Bon because of the success of Brian Johnson era AC/DC.  I say this as a fan of primarily Bon era AC/DC. If they had folded after Bon's death, they may have still ended up influencing Axl and Slash, but they would have been a cult curiosity for the history books, like Cream or Rainbow. What I am saying is, AC/DC with Brian was clearly NOT Bon era AC/DC but it was STILL AC/DC.

None of this has to do with the issue I had with your original post. I only objected to Axl being compared to Brian without reference to point in time. If Brian were singing like he was in '80 or half as good, AC/DC wouldn't need Axl. Axl's style and persona are more in tune with Bon's ( which is why I think AC/DC fans should accept him) but yet different - that's true. But it's not as if Brian has always been terrible or half bad. It's fair to say that Appetite era Axl would have been great on both Bon/Brian era material. But present day Axl would struggle to do some of the Brian era material from BIB or FTATR - he'd really have to be at the top of his game - I believe he can do it though.

53 minutes ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Btw; Powerage, High Voltage, Let there be rock, and Dirty Deeds are all acceptable choices for "best AC/DC album". All of which are superior to Back in Black. Back in Black is also a great album, but it's the only one from the Brian era.

Yeah, I agree - none of the Bon era albums are weak. If Bon hadn't passed, there is no telling what AC/DC would have become. It boggles the mind.

Edited by The Archer

Hilarious. Axl breaks up GNR 20 years ago to seek some kind of modern and complex rock sound and finishes his carreer joining ACDC. It's a shame it took him so long to realize he's just a rock n' roll singer and should've never come up with his NIN rip-offs. I'm happy for the fans who are enjoying this and honestly, wish the best to Brian Johnson.

• Like 1