Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

Read a ton of negative reactions to this. To me, it's all in good fun.  As long as they have fun n the majority of people who go have fun, it'll be worth it. I've read reviews about coachella saying how terrible and lame the GnR concert was. But nobodys gonna change their views. They sounded great from what we've heard. So I'm betting the shows with AC/DC will be fine.

49 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Some of the Aussie press is savaging this. Nothing to be surprised about. AC/DC is something of a national treasure down under. But in his rage this journo is giving Axl and Guns an unfair pounding -

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-paired-with-axl-rose-a-tragic-insult-20160418-go8jj8.html

OUCH!!  What happened to the "if a member of AC\DC cannot continue the band will not continue either" agreement? This is brutal and biased, sounds more like a disgruntled fan of AC\DC giving his opinion rather than the unbiased view of a journalist. Until we see Axl singing a few songs with the band we can't say whether it is a good or bad move.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, k12 said:

I can't help but think this AC/DC thing is Axl's way to stick it to Slash, try and take the thunder out of the GNR reunion and show he is still the man, if Axl really cared about the reunion he would not do the AC/DC thing, but he is going to hurt his voice and who knows how the GNR shows are going to go, of course they waited until after GNR sold their tickets for the tour to make the announcement

In every other tour, his voice has gotten better as time went on with more shows. The opposite of your prediction could happen and then the GN'R stadium gigs benefit in a huge way, whereas he could just sit on his ass at home for two months and come out sounding full Mickey Mouse. 

1 hour ago, k12 said:

I can't help but think this AC/DC thing is Axl's way to stick it to Slash, try and take the thunder out of the GNR reunion and show he is still the man, if Axl really cared about the reunion he would not do the AC/DC thing, but he is going to hurt his voice and who knows how the GNR shows are going to go, of course they waited until after GNR sold their tickets for the tour to make the announcement

If your all time favorite band growing up asked you to tour with them - you would be crazy to say no to that offer.  How do you know that Slash and Duff aren't happy about it? And not to mention Axl being in the spotlight means more press and media for Axl and therefore GNR as a whole.

Axl usually gets better the longer a tour gets and both the GNR and AC/DC tours are hardly extensive by any means anyways

Axl sounded a lot better on Rosie last night than Brian did at the iconic River Plate gig in 2009 (and this was before he really fell off a cliff with his hearing and singing issues): 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMvE0yFnR0I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0yEI4E-j3c

If nothing else, maybe AC/DC will revisit a lot of the deep cuts from the Bon Scott era. If I was a diehard AC/DC fan, I would embrace the potential of this. They just might get to hear a bunch of shit they never thought they'd hear Angus play ever again.

Would be funny if Slash or Duff joined another group like Metallica in the meanwhile.

Duff was already (very briefly) bassist for Jane's Addiction a few years back.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 1

Oh, I'm pretty sure it interferes with Guns tour. Most likely there were May dates that got cancelled at the last moment and I bet there were plans for the fall too, just not finalized yet, so they were easy to call off. If there was no ACDC bullshit we'd have twice as much Guns n Roses. No way the tour was originally planned to last two months of the entire year.

The good for GNR thing is also bullshit. The best and only advertisement for GNR is Slash being back, Duff being back, all members treating this as their priority at least in the reunion year, kicking ass live, giving it all they have and adding some new music.

If Axl is so excited about the great come back of his band that he'd rather spend half of the big reunion year trying to impress Angus and ACDC fans, fuck him! Nothing has changed. He still doesn't give a shit about Guns. He'd never do that during the Use Your Illusion tour, I bet. And for a while I believed he cared again and was on a mission to get this band on top again but it seems that still is far from the top of his priority list, too bad.

All he'll give Guns is a half-assed tour squeezed in between ACDC dates. Funny that it wasn't ACDC working around their schedule so that Axl could join but changes were made to Guns tour.

Anyway Slash should now call off August or July and join Ozzy or whoever. These are his childhood heroes. I'm sure Axl will understand and will be happy for him. And it would only be good for us fans cause that means more attention to GNR now that Slash is part of the band.

When the rumour first got out, I couldn't believe it. Axl's been silent for so many years, there are so many stories about him not rehearsing, or recording vocals, it seemed like it was like pulling teeth just to get him to sing. So I didn't believe it and felt he should concentrate on GNR. The reunion so far has exceeded my expectations and now this news of Axl fronting AC/DC seems so unreal. No one could've predicted this last year. I'm now of the opinion I want my favourite singer to come out as much as possible. I don't feel like this interferes with the reunion. Axl was ALWAYS the only one without a side project, and now he has the biggest side project of them all. (If you can call it that.) Axl'd disappear for years and now there's a reunion! And he's fronting AC/DC!

This to me shows Axl is feeling good, and by all accounts, he looks happy. There are no signs of the reunion being in danger at all. So I'll just enjoy it.

Can't imagine Duff and Slash being upset about all this. If Axl pulls this off, it's nothing but good publicity for GNR, reaching an entire new audience.

As for the backlash, that does worry me slightly. Axl is a love him or hate him kind of guy, and many AC/DC fans seem to hate him. But I'm sure he's well aware of that, as is Angus Young. They know they're taking a risk. I love that Axl feels confident enough to accept the challenge, and that Angus feels confident enough to brave the anger of his fans by getting Axl on board. As for Axl not being able to take criticism: he's older now and more mature than 25 years ago. Plus, it's different being criticized by your own fans than by AC/DC fans that are upset because all of a sudden you replace the singer of their favourite band. I know I'd be pissed if some other singer I don't care for replaced Axl. Like I said, I'm sure Axl is well aware of that.

All in all, I'm really, really happy about this. Partly because I'm going, of course :P

Don't worry, Axl, I'll be there for you if the big AC/DC meanies are horrible to you :heart:

EDIT: I hope they have special Axl/DC merch, would be cool :)

Edited by Lio
  • Like 4

28 minutes ago, Lio said:

When the rumour first got out, I couldn't believe it. Axl's been silent for so many years, there are so many stories about him not rehearsing, or recording vocals, it seemed like it was like pulling teeth just to get him to sing. So I didn't believe it and felt he should concentrate on GNR. The reunion so far has exceeded my expectations and now this news of Axl fronting AC/DC seems so unreal. No one could've predicted this last year. I'm now of the opinion I want my favourite singer to come out as much as possible. I don't feel like this interferes with the reunion. Axl was ALWAYS the only one without a side project, and now he has the biggest side project of them all. (If you can call it that.) Axl'd disappear for years and now there's a reunion! And he's fronting AC/DC!

This to me shows Axl is feeling good, and by all accounts, he looks happy. There are no signs of the reunion being in danger at all. So I'll just enjoy it.

Can't imagine Duff and Slash being upset about all this. If Axl pulls this off, it's nothing but good publicity for GNR, reaching an entire new audience.

As for the backlash, that does worry me slightly. Axl is a love him or hate him kind of guy, and many AC/DC fans seem to hate him. But I'm sure he's well aware of that, as is Angus Young. They know they're taking a risk. I love that Axl feels confident enough to accept the challenge, and that Angus feels confident enough to brave the anger of his fans by getting Axl on board. As for Axl not being able to take criticism: he's older now and more mature than 25 years ago. Plus, it's different being criticized by your own fans than by AC/DC fans that are upset because all of a sudden you replace the singer of their favourite band. I know I'd be pissed if some other singer I don't care for replaced Axl. Like I said, I'm sure Axl is well aware of that.

All in all, I'm really, really happy about this. Partly because I'm going, of course :P

Don't worry, Axl, I'll be there for you if the big AC/DC meanies are horrible to you :heart:

EDIT: I hope they have special Axl/DC merch, would be cool :)

I want some merch too, I have a hard time believing Angus won't capitalise on this. :lol:

1 hour ago, MB. said:

Lol, I am going to see it. All AC/DC fans selling their tickets and GNR fans buying it. 

This is definitely happening haha I went to a group for buying/selling tickets on facebook yesterday and everyone who's trying to buy has some pic related to guns on their facebook page. But the best things are the comments, people write 'I need a ticket for AC/DC' and the comments are like 'Axl Poser' or  'Do you realize it's Axl who's going, right?'

1 hour ago, SidneyWish said:

AC/DC fans are just pissing in their pants of seeing their world changed. They are full on conservatives who would prefer things stay the same for decades on end.

I am not surprised at all. What's strange about this? What fan of any band wants their vocalist to be suddenly replaced in the middle of the tour with another band's lead singer who moreover has a reputation (well deserved it has to be said) of an unreliable, ego-driven, lazy, tantrum-prone, primadonna like asshole? For AC/DC fans getting Axl in place of Brian is probably more or less the same as would be for us to get Micheal Jackson instead of Axl. And that in the middle of the tour for which you bought tickets thinking this would be Axl.

It is the most stupid idea ever on the part of ACDC too. If Brian really cannot finish the tour (which is quite weird indeed but whatever, not getting into it now) they should cancel the dates, refund the tickets, find a new singer and announce a new tour with the new singer. That would be the right thing to do. That would also be much more respectful towards Brian. Right now the guy was treated like a replacable meaningless drummer or something. I'm not surprised the fans are pissed.

And don't be delusional, it does interfere with GNR tour big time. It's as many dates as are planned for GNR. It's not a couple of dates, people, it is fifty-fifty ACDC/GNR starting with ACDC!

It is more than obvious that if it wasn't for that the tour would continue through fall, it would also start earlier. It would probably be twice as long. Also, remember this is Guns N'Roses. We don't know how long it's going to last, especially with Axl pulling stunts like that. So there is a chance that whatever AC/DC took away from us now, we will never get back. Who knows Slash will be interested in continuing this in 2017? Especially considering how things turned out in 2016 after he reserved his whole year for Axl.

The excitement, the hype and the momentum of GNR reunion is gone. Nobody cares about it anymore in the media. It's all Axl and AC/DC now. The media where I live never even mentioned the reunion but they already made headlines with Axl joining AC/DC. In fact the way it is portrayed is as if Axl actually became their singer. Nobody even talks about GN'R or Slash returning to the band among all this. Sorry, but it's not how the great comeback of GNR should look. And that makes me really sad. :(

In fact Axl never even made a proper reunion announcement. Never even mentioned Slash's name, never gave an interview, just confirmed GNR will be playing Coachella, that's it. Oh, sorry, he added a press release where he called Slash a former memeber putting him on the same level as Bumblefoot or Ashba at the same time underlying his position as a founder.

With AC/DC, though, there was a tweet, a press release and a big celebration with Angus on GNR stage - all on the day of the first announced GNR reunion concert.

Axl refused to give any interviews regarding the reunion but now he promised Trunk he will talk to him once AC/DC is announced.

Say what you will but to me it doesn't look good at all. Axl is playing it all out in such way as if GN'R reunion was a side thing to the AC/DC tour and not the other way round. And Slash in all this is another one of Axl's soldiers who's supposed to wait patiently for his return and be ready whenever the boss has some free time.

• Like 2

complain, whine, bitch....

I really do not understand why anybody would be unhappy to see his favorite singer (well at least should be in a Guns fan forum, not so sure though actually), to take a once in a lifetime chance to tour with the second biggest rock band on the planet (I guess only the Stones are bigger). Also it is not like the reunion would be a flop because of this (absolutely no logic behind that anyways....): The reunion tour is going great so far, I think Axl sounds pretty good, everybody in the band seems to have a good time.

Well except for some "fans"....Adler is not there, Slash will cry and get upset because of Angus, it is all Axl`s fault that Izzy does not want to tour, Frank is the worst drummer on the planet, Guns should only play club venues, 26 stadium (!!!?) shows are not enough, the bad press gives AC/DC more attention than the Guns reunion (what do you want to do? there was decent news coverage about the Guns reunion, but AC/DC just is the much bigger band nowadays), Axl will ruin his voice by singing (seriously?? he is a SINGER, that is what he does for a living!?), because of these 20 dates there will be never be no new guns album ever, Axl will fail miserably, Axl does not look like he looks on the poster in my room from 1989 anymore, Axl just broke his foot to get out of this reunion, everything is bad and can only get worse...

I mean what is wrong with you people? This is the most exciting year in Guns history in the past 20 years and half the forum still complains...

While I have a little more understanding for the AC/DC fans complaining, because that band is really dissolving rapidly, I do also do understand Angus. AC/DC has always been much bigger than the individual members (except for Angus) and if he wants to finish their last tour and give a million fans the opportunity to say goodbye. And if Angus can do it with a bang by signing one of the biggest names in rock, what the f.... is wrong with that?

• Like 2