Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Oh well. Your opinion. I wouldn't see this charade if it was played free in my local pub.

I hope the whole thing flops and Angus - Angus especially - and Axl gets pelted with banana skins haha.

I was so glad to be @ Warsaw last year Brians last EU show

I also understand what you saying but people have flights booked for these EU shows which they will lose a lot are going due to that alone.

May 7th is going to be Make OR Break in Liiiiiiiiiisbon Axl has some hard tracks to cover and the whole world will be watching

1 hour ago, Gavin82 said:

Bon was there for 7/8 years yes he was the orignal front man BUT Brian was there for 36 years & a hell of a lot of people have grown up with Brian.

Im not comparing singers as such Axl is a great singer he sounds amazing right now BUT them 2 covers he did over wknd Rosie & RiffRaff were not the best just like i expect Brian would sound doing Get in the ring OR C.war 

First of all, those were Bon Scott songs and not Brian Johnson songs. Second of all, Brian has sounded terrible on Whole Lotta Rosie for years. I think Axl blew him out of the water. 

58 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

First of all, those were Bon Scott songs and not Brian Johnson songs. Second of all, Brian has sounded terrible on Whole Lotta Rosie for years. I think Axl blew him out of the water. 

I never said they was'nt mate

Just now, Gavin82 said:

I never said they was'nt mate

You heavily implied it by saying Axl wasn't great on them just like Brian wouldn't be great on Axl/GNR songs. Why even make a comment like that when Brian wasn't the original singer for those AC/DC tunes? They hadn't even played Riff Raff in 20 years.

Fact is Brian isn't good recently on the Bon Scott AC/DC material. He got older. It sucks but it's just the way life goes. If they wanted someone who sounded exactly like Bon, Marc Storace is the right guy (but he struggles on the Brian material like Thunderstruck). 

I do think Brian deserves better treatment from Angus. But there is nothing anyone can do about it. And no Diesel Daisy, violence at the concert is not the answer. 

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

You heavily implied it by saying Axl wasn't great on them just like Brian wouldn't be great on Axl/GNR songs. Why even make a comment like that when Brian wasn't the original singer for those AC/DC tunes? They hadn't even played Riff Raff in 20 years.

Fact is Brian isn't good recently on the Bon Scott AC/DC material. He got older. It sucks but it's just the way life goes. If they wanted someone who sounded exactly like Bon, Marc Storace is the right guy (but he struggles on the Brian material like Thunderstruck). 

I do think Brian deserves better treatment from Angus. But there is nothing anyone can do about it. And no Diesel Daisy, violence at the concert is not the answer. 

Violence? With banana skins haha?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Epson said:

The letter has a point - especially about AC/DC and their fan-centric approach when juxtaposed with Axl who generally treats his fans like something he has stepped in.

2 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Very classy. Everyone calling Axl a jerk and then encouraging violence against him looks like a hypocrite. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm not and never will go to these shows, but a youtube clip of a guy running on stage and kicking Rose in the balls would make me laugh.

1 hour ago, Asia said:

Yeah, maybe it is silly getting angry over your own speculations but then again if we weren't getting angry or happy or excited over our own speculations we would have nothing to get emotional about because there are no facts with this stupid band, no explanations, no nothing, as you've probably noticed. ;) And I just find it unlikely that they would only plan 2 months of touring this year. Yeah, it was planned that Slash would be making an album in May at some point but the last interview with Todd seemed to suggest that not necessairily in May, more likely when Slash finds time and generally speaking right now Guns is more important or so I remembered it, I mihgt be wrong, I wasn't learning this by heart.

As for the announcement - they could limit it to a press release without Angus guesting or announce it the day after the show, in between the shows, whatever, not to steel the limelight from Guns.

Well, Slash and Duff knew it weeks ago but weeks ain't enough to make any sensible plans and as we know Slash needs to work and be on the road, so he might not be too happy. I'm not sure his bandmates will be available now for the album, if he was supposed to tour during that time.

The no interviews thing is sort of understandable and I wouldn't mind this if it was to stay like that and the hype and everything would be built on stage with Guns. But if there are to be AC/DC tours and AC/DC interviews than Guns interviews should have been there as well, otherwise it seems as if Guns was just another version of Axl's long forgotten band that nobody, including Axl himself, cares about. And Axl should not create this impression, it's not good and it will backfire this way or another.

Plus I have never in my life heard of a situation in which one of the biggest bands in the world would give up or change their plans (big tour, album or whatever) because the singer of this band wants to temporarily join another band at the time important band business is going on in his own band. Especially if it would mean steeling the show, the attention and the limelight  from his own band. Don't think anyone other than Axl has ever done it. Imagine Jagger doing it. Richards would probably kill him right away.

Plus I 'm afraid it will all backfire at Axl in a way that will make him very sorry he ever agreed to that. The fans are furious. They're already starting getting bad reviews, that is Guns N'Roses, mind you, while until the announcement it was all good. Guns are already getting beaten for Ac/DC. Things are probably gonna get even worse later. I don't think Axl will handle the Johnson songs all too well, I just don't see it. The chances of him blowing up his voice are huge - he'll have to give out high pitched shrieks for two hours without much breaks. In Guns he has ballads, he has instrumentals to let his voice rest after songs like YCBM. Does ACDC even have any ballads? Do they play any instrumetal songs? His voice and throat have always been vulnerable, now I think even more so than when he was young. With AC/DC having fast shows and no songs that would let him rest his voice it's too risky, as far as I'm concerned.

First he might sound like shit, second he may easily blow up his voice, third he will be boood off stage and destroyed in the press and the destruction in the press will hit at Guns pretty bad in the wake of their big return. Not to mention his good relations with Angus might not stand the test of a tour. Do you still remmeber what Metallica, FNM, Soundgarden made of Axl in the media after touring with him? How they were disgusted with his entourage, his ways of doing things and how they mocked him everywehre? Axl hasn't changed, I guess things are even worse now with team brasil and all that shit. Will AC/DC be genetlemen about it? I'm no so certain. Especially if anything goes sour between them which in case of Axl is very probable. Especially that Angus is not a mild angel either. All in all there's a good chance Axl's reputation will plumet right to the bottom just before the Guns world tour.

All valid concerns definitely! I understand that a lot of your earlier points were just out of passion for wanting the reunion to do well. I'd probably be right on your side if AC/DC announced more dates and that took priority over Guns. Then we'd have a huge problem. For now, it is what it is and we'll see how things go.

I'm still not a fan of how AC/DC just kind of brushed Brian aside in the press release but at least they're offering refunds for those who want it. I think overall this stands to do more damage to the AC/DC image than to Guns. The same would probably be true no matter who was filling in. The general concert going public will eat up the fact that it's a big name like Axl whereas the die hards just want the band to call it a day. It's been too much of a downward spiral so I get it.

Right now, the pre-emptive criticism towards Axl reminds me of when Daniel Craig was announced as James Bond. The more the press dismissed him, the more it just drove the general public's curiosity to go see the film. I think the same will be true here. If the first few shows actually go well, then the tune will change. I wouldn't worry too much about it! Obviously the die hard AC/DC bands still might not like it and that's fine, but the consensus among the general public will likely shift.

I feel like I'm in a strange category. I'm a die hard fan of both bands so it's definitely a collaboration that appeals to me. As long as Angus retires the band after this tour then I think I'm okay with it. Otherwise, I really don't want them to continue without Brian. Angus' "finish what we started" attitude already isn't going down well with the fans, so it's hard to imagine AC/DC's future.

Right now, the future of Guns looks promising, and as a bullshit bonus we get to hear Axl front AC/DC. Honestly, I think it'll be a lot of fun.

Just reading the comments on the AC/DC Facebook and have never seen a thread where almost every post has 4k + likes. Some are complimentary to Axl- but everyone seems to share the same opinion. No thanks.

There are fans on here who would support Axl in any project he takes on and will argue to the death on here that its an amazing collaboration but no one can deny that its a very unpopular and to me, strange decision.

I like many bands but I would not want any of the singers to step in and fill Axls shoes if the tables were turned- many of us had a hard time seeing other Guns N' Roses band members replaced, why are some people on here finding it so hard to see this from the AC/DC fans p.o.v?

I truly hope Axl nails it.  it wouldn't change my opinion of the decision or him because to me, he is already one of the greatest frontmen of all time.

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

For the last 36 years Brians done Rosie on tours & albums you hardly ever hear the original From powerage mate that was 1978ish.

Of course Brian voice is not as good he is 67/68 Axl is a good 14 years younger.

As for RiffRaff you have a good point

18 minutes ago, sofine11 said:

Holy shit AC/DC fans are rioting....

The "hardcore" AC/DC fans have propably seen their band more than enough in the past 40 years, let them riot on the internet. AC/DC shows here are pretty much family events, they will sell out even if the "hardcore" fans decide to boycott the shows.

Actually most comments on the Youtube for the Coachella vids of Whole Lotta Rosie and RiffRaff are positive. So I guess once Axl pulls it off in the first few shows decently I think most people will be happy that they had to chance to see (the remains of) AC/DC live for one last time....

• Like 1

So glad I kept my ticket for June 9th in Manchester.

I honestly don't understand why so many people are against this. I can understand being disappointed at not seeing Brian Johnson, but come on. They have dates that they need to honour. They're not gonna miss out on $$$ so who else is there in the industry that can both justify the ticket price that fans have already paid and actually do the songs justice? Axl is more than capable vocally and is a big enough name, it makes sense as GN'R are heavily in the public eye right now so it's a win win for both camps. This is the best of a bad situation.

As far as I can see, all the hate stems from ignorance. Axl, as far as we know, is filling in for 12 remaining dates of the European tour, plus a bunch of rescheduled North American shows which will presumably take place after GN'R's North American stadium run. That's it. He's not "the new singer for AC/DC." Just helping out and I can't wait for him to blow it out of the water, which he will.

Most of these comments of "oh they should just retire, Axl will ruin their legacy" and all that shit doesn't even make any sense. How will he possibly ruin it? No offence, AC/DC is one of my all time favourite bands, but those guys trying to write an album without Malcolm Young and releasing that pile of shit Rock or Bust has done more damage than Axl could ever do.

So yeah, to clarify:

Axl isn't leaving Guns for DC

He can sing their material

He is a better choice than some fucking no mark from Airbourne

4 hours ago, tsinindy said:

I agree Brian is a great front man...but he's not a better front man than Axl.

But that's my point, people can enjoy one or the other...or both.  But at the end of the day when you look at seriously and objectively no one ever says Roger Moore is the best bond ever...did they enjoy him?  Sure....but everyone knows he isn't the best, because well...he isn't.  

The 'best' is subjective. Depends on your perspective. I know people who dislike GNR, sucks to be them, but that's their opinion. Who is the best guitarist? No one knows and those discussions are pointless. The most influential guitarists? That can be discussed and much more interesting.

It's going to be fascinating to see Axl front AC/DC.

2 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

The letter has a point - especially about AC/DC and their fan-centric approach when juxtaposed with Axl who generally treats his fans like something he has stepped in.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not and never will go to these shows, but a youtube clip of a guy running on stage and kicking Rose in the balls would make me laugh.

Might help with the vocals;)

Just now, Slosh13 said:

The 'best' is subjective. Depends on your perspective. I know people who dislike GNR, sucks to be them, but that's their opinion. Who is the best guitarist? No one knows and those discussions are pointless. The most influential guitarists? That can be discussed and much more interesting.

It's going to be fascinating to see Axl front AC/DC.

You make a good point that whoever made the original point about Bond did say favorite as opposed to best and in that sense it truely is a matter of opinion.  

Best can be as well, unless you start defining your criteria.  

My only personal problem with this is really how Brian seems to have been treated...and it's fairly obvious Angus knew whoever he picked would piss off a fairly good portion of the hard core fan base, so he went with a name that would guarantee some degree of decent ticket sales in my opinion.

This is good. Axl is going to have fun and come into the US tour feeling rejuvenated. Not only that but he will bring a whole new audience in AC/DC to the GNR fan base. He consistently delivers on his AC/DC vocal performances, so I see this as huge potential for Axl to clear his past. People are still extremely ignorant on today's Axl Rose. (I.E. Axl is always late; throws fits; Storms off stage; doesn't show to gigs; weak voice; difficult)