Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

can't wait to hear axl's interpretations on more ac/dc material. you can feel axl was totally on fire on wlr and rr at coachella. this is axl's type of music...not NuMetal but dirty ol' rock n' roll. this can be totally epic. i'm even more exited about this than the gnr reunion. i like bon and brian...and axl is a great addition to ac/dc. i hope he will be involved in the next ac/dc album, cause it sounds that brian is out...

1 hour ago, AlexC said:

So glad I kept my ticket for June 9th in Manchester.

I honestly don't understand why so many people are against this. I can understand being disappointed at not seeing Brian Johnson, but come on. They have dates that they need to honour. They're not gonna miss out on $$$ so who else is there in the industry that can both justify the ticket price that fans have already paid and actually do the songs justice? Axl is more than capable vocally and is a big enough name, it makes sense as GN'R are heavily in the public eye right now so it's a win win for both camps. This is the best of a bad situation.

As far as I can see, all the hate stems from ignorance. Axl, as far as we know, is filling in for 12 remaining dates of the European tour, plus a bunch of rescheduled North American shows which will presumably take place after GN'R's North American stadium run. That's it. He's not "the new singer for AC/DC." Just helping out and I can't wait for him to blow it out of the water, which he will.

Most of these comments of "oh they should just retire, Axl will ruin their legacy" and all that shit doesn't even make any sense. How will he possibly ruin it? No offence, AC/DC is one of my all time favourite bands, but those guys trying to write an album without Malcolm Young and releasing that pile of shit Rock or Bust has done more damage than Axl could ever do.

So yeah, to clarify:

Axl isn't leaving Guns for DC

He can sing their material

He is a better choice than some fucking no mark from Airbourne

To me it's sad to see all the health problems in AC/DC lately. They probably should have just retired when Malcolm's condition got so bad he couldn't perform anymore. Brian was already over 65 years old and slowing down at that point too. Throw in the Phil Rudd murder situation and it becomes even more sad with Angus the last guy standing. Their legacy has already been set for over 20 years. No one really cares about the music they've put out in the last 15 years.

The Axl project could either be very good or very bad, but it won't affect AC/DC's legacy. Personally I just hope it helps Axl prepare for the GN'R tour. His voice usually gets stronger as he sings more on each tour. It would be nice if the Detroit gig in late June feels more like Axl in mid-tour form instead of coming off the couch after 2 months of video games and eating Cheetos.

14 minutes ago, maxpax said:

can't wait to hear axl's interpretations on more ac/dc material. you can feel axl was totally on fire on wlr and rr at coachella. this is axl's type of music...not NuMetal but dirty ol' rock n' roll. this can be totally epic. i'm even more exited about this than the gnr reunion. i like bon and brian...and axl is a great addition to ac/dc. i hope he will be involved in the next ac/dc album, cause it sounds that brian is out...

So basically you are a fan of Axl, not GNR. Good to know. Have a great time at AC/DC concert.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ksks12 said:

So basically you are a fan of Axl, not GNR. Good to know. Have a great time at AC/DC concert.

no, i'm not an axl fanboy, but axl was great on ac/dc so far....no one can replace brian or bon...but axl is a great addition. he is on fire and he will deliver on may 7th.

Now everyone is excited how Axl is gonna sound May 7. Even on this forum, the GNR forum, it's trending much more than the Mexico GNR reunion concert that will take place tomorrow. It speaks volumes on what that announcement did to the GNR reunion tour that was supposed to be the news of the year :-( 

8 minutes ago, maxpax said:

no, i'm not an axl fanboy, but axl was great on ac/dc so far....no one can replace brian or bon...but axl is a great addition. he is on fire and he will deliver on may 7th.

Well you are more excited about Axl joining AC/DC than reunion wich true longtime fans have been waiting for hmm 23 years. Forum (some of the people)here is really something else. On AC/DC forum people are almost crying over what's happening to their favourite band and they take this sh.t very seriously, here we have people who are praising Bumblefoot's contributions over Slash 's ( nothing against Bumble tough) and cheer for the fact that singer of their supposed favourite band will risk it all and play shows with someone else. Instead of hmm put his act together and get fit for the rest of GNR tour.

IMO Axl AC/DC will be disaster. We will see tough, i could be wrong.

Edited by ksks12
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Asia said:

Now everyone is excited how Axl is gonna sound May 7. Even on this forum, the GNR forum, it's trending much more than the Mexico GNR reunion concert that will take place tomorrow. It speaks volumes on what that announcement did to the GNR reunion tour that was supposed to be the news of the year :-( 

If he shows up on time and kicks ass with AC/DC, maybe it will actually create positive publicity for the GN'R Tour. The AC/DC gigs in May and June are in Europe whereas the GN'R gigs from June to August are in America. So it wouldn't be like double-dipping on the GN'R shows. People who are on the fence might be convinced to try the GN'R show in their area based on buzz from the Axl/DC gigs.

We know Angus will not put up with Axl showing up late. So if Axl actually shows up on time for all those AC/DC gigs, it will create at least some positive buzz in that regard. One of the biggest knocks against him and one of the main reasons some people might be on the fence is the notion of him showing up after midnight and the show running until 3 AM, especially if it's on a work night.

2 minutes ago, Asia said:

Aww, don't worry. This is just new news, Mexico is not. And it's not on yet. Mexico will be discussed when it's on. Besides, there's quite a few of us going to one of the Axl/DC shows. It's normal to get excited about that. I never thought I'd see Axl this year in Europe. That has never truly been in the cards, has it? There's been no rumours about shows around where I live anyway. I'm just thankful that I'll get to see him in less than a month.

It's so bizarre as well. I love how Axl keeps on surprising us this year. It's normal there's a lot of talk about that.

Axl's been an AC/DC fan for ages, he wants to do it, well, great for him. I don't think this puts the reunion in danger.

If I could choose, I'd rather see Axl with GNR next month, but as it is, I'll gladly take the chance to see him with AC/DC now and with GNR some time next year.

As for people mentioning AC/DC fans rioting, of course I totally get that. I would be livid if Axl was replaced by another singer. But I'm a diehard GNR and Axl fan, so I'm happy.

Of course it may go wrong, there's always a chance. But let's all root for it to go well and stay positive. This could turn out great for GNR.

Here's my take on it.  I think it could end up being a great thing for the GNR tour but could also be risky for everything that GNR has been building in recent months.  For example, if Axl comes out and bombs a few performances with AC/DC, it will be all over the internet within hours and the shows that are slow to fill might continue to have a difficult time selling.  Worse, Axl could hurt his voice for is main gig.  I see a few of you are saying it and others shooting the possibility down, but it could happen.  A lot of the Back in Black and later stuff is challenging to sing.  If we, the GN'R armchair band/tour managers are thinking about these possibilities, you've got to think that the people close to the actual tour have considered them too.  

My biggest problem with the whole idea of Axl joining AC/DC was the timing for the official announcement.  I think it should have been done two weeks ago or at least they should have waited until after the Coachella shows.. Even the second Coachella weekend would have been better for GN'R than breaking the news just before the show on Saturday.  It still would have been a huge story but would not have overshadowed the reunion news.  I've already talked to a few people who are confused.  Not big fans like us but people who were considering going down to the San Diego show later this Summer.  The all said "Eddie, what's going on with GNR?  I thought there was a reunion tour but I just heard Axl's going on tour with ACDC instead? "  

Did they reschedule concert dates?  I think they did, although damage was probably minimal since agreements weren't signed until just before the dates were announced.  Many ancillary contracts regarding touring are written to provide flexibility in the event of a cancellation.  I suspect that Atlanta, Orlando, New Orleans, Houston, and Arlington were likely to have been rescheduled.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eddie Money said:

Here's my take on it.  I think it could end up being a great thing for the GNR tour but could also be risky for everything that GNR has been building in recent months.  For example, if Axl comes out and bombs a few performances with AC/DC, it will be all over the internet within hours and the shows that are slow to fill might continue to have a difficult time selling.  Worse, Axl could hurt his voice for is main gig.  I see a few of you are saying it and others shooting the possibility down, but it could happen.  A lot of the Back in Black and later stuff is challenging to sing.  If we, the GN'R armchair band/tour managers are thinking about these possibilities, you've got to think that the people close to the actual tour have considered them too.  

These are valid concerns for sure. I think it would be cool if they just went with 100% Bon Scott era songs. This would protect Axl from the crazy rasp on songs like Thunderstruck and it would also give the whole world (including the angry AC/DC fans) a chance to hear Angus play some deep cuts from the 1970's for the first time in decades.

You bring up an interesting point about general audience confusion regarding which band Axl is actually in. That said, GN'R could easily clear up this confusion with a good marketing blitz over the next 2 months. Not just billboards like they've done so far, but TV ads featuring Axl and Slash together, appearances on Kimmel/Fallon/Colbert, etc.

Just now, GNRfan2008 said:

These are valid concerns for sure. I think it would be cool if they just went with 100% Bon Scott era songs. This would protect Axl from the crazy rasp on songs like Thunderstruck and it would also give the whole world (including the angry AC/DC fans) a chance to hear Angus play some deep cuts from the 1970's for the first time in decades.

You bring up an interesting point about general audience confusion regarding which band Axl is actually in. That said, GN'R could easily clear up this confusion with a good marketing blitz over the next 2 months. Not just billboards like they've done so far, but TV ads featuring Axl and Slash together, appearances on Kimmel/Fallon/Colbert, etc.

You can't appear on Kimmel with your band if you're in Lisbon, Portugal and they're in NY, LA, and Seattle!  

• Like 1

Just now, Eddie Money said:

You can't appear on Kimmel with your band if you're in Lisbon, Portugal and they're in NY, LA, and Seattle!  

He could easily do taped interviews for those shows via satellite. They could even do something with multiple band members on those shows before the AC/DC stuff gets going. Coachella is finished April 23rd and they will have two weeks until May 7th.

19 minutes ago, Eddie Money said:

My biggest problem with the whole idea of Axl joining AC/DC was the timing for the official announcement.  I think it should have been done two weeks ago or at least they should have waited until after the Coachella shows.. Even the second Coachella weekend would have been better for GN'R than breaking the news just before the show on Saturday.  It still would have been a huge story but would not have overshadowed the reunion news.  I've already talked to a few people who are confused.  Not big fans like us but people who were considering going down to the San Diego show later this Summer.  The all said "Eddie, what's going on with GNR?  I thought there was a reunion tour but I just heard Axl's going on tour with ACDC instead? "  

Did they reschedule concert dates?  I think they did, although damage was probably minimal since agreements weren't signed until just before the dates were announced.  Many ancillary contracts regarding touring are written to provide flexibility in the event of a cancellation.  I suspect that Atlanta, Orlando, New Orleans, Houston, and Arlington were likely to have been rescheduled.  

Another possibility is that a professional vocalist who has been singing for a living for 30 years may actually know how to sing Back In Black without blowing out his voice on the eve of the biggest tour of his life...

Hes doing 10 dates with AC/DC before the Guns summer tour, he will be fine. He rehearsed with DC the week of Guns first show back at the Troubadour and his voice has been great. If anything it will keep his voice in good shape for the summer tour instead of doing nothing for a month.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NEU-YORK said:

Are the UK ACDC dates totally sold out? Their website doesn't list them as being sold out and neither does ticketmaster.co.uk but it won't let me buy one?! 

There are still tickets on secondary sites for some shows, Stub Hub etc..

• Like 1

20 hours ago, k12 said:

I can't help but think this AC/DC thing is Axl's way to stick it to Slash, try and take the thunder out of the GNR reunion and show he is still the man, if Axl really cared about the reunion he would not do the AC/DC thing, but he is going to hurt his voice and who knows how the GNR shows are going to go, of course they waited until after GNR sold their tickets for the tour to make the announcement

I don't think so at all.  I think they all know that this is a killer opportunity, so why should Axl turn it down?  I'm sure Slash would fill in for Joe Perry for Aerosmith if asked. 

I think it's great publicity for both bands.  You could say that AC/DC could have picked many singers, but realistically despite the bashing that Axl gets, a no name singer would not put asses in seats.  It's a legendary band, you need a someone with a huge stage presence and Axl is perfect for taking on the Bon Scott era which many fans want to hear. 

For Guns, it gives Axl back some of his street cred, some of the respect he deserves?  Will it be perfect?  Probably not, but I have confidence in Axl to pull this off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Asia said:

You're way too worried about this trending business. :lol:

The AC/DC news is new so of course it will trend. On the grand scheme of things, the Mexico shows aren't as big news as the initial Vegas shows or Coachella. We might see a bit of trending as the reviews come in. Both the Mexico shows are sold out so it's not like they need extra promotion. What can there be to trend about them at this very moment?

Guns has been consistently trending... Troubadour, Vegas, and now Coachella mixed in with the AC/DC announcement. It'll be fine.

• Like 2

After thirty six years with vocalist Brian Johnson, which makes up the majority of AC/DC‘s storied history, the group announced just a few days ago that they have parted ways. Back in February when the band first made the announcement, it sounded temporary. The word “fill in” was used and it seemed as though Johnson would be back after finding some way to work around it.

Now, Eddie Trunk has offered a fascinating look behind the scenes of what went down with the firing of Brian Johnson and the hiring of Guns N’ Roses vocalist Axl Rose. Trunk says that nobody he knows is buying the excuse that he was let go due to a hearing loss.

“The release from AC/DC made it pretty clear they are done with Brian Johnson. What really happened with Brian is anyone’s guess. But nobody is buying the hearing thing that I know. My sources tell me Brian was slowing down and didn’t want to work as hard as Angus (who is younger) did.” Eddie Trunk wrote on his new blog.

As Jim Breuer also said, the hearing issue is a small part of it, it’s more of an excuse to get him out of the band so they can keep playing large shows.

“I also know that on the latest tour Brian only wanted to do 2-3 shows max a week. Something that is expensive for a band when off that much on the road (Aerosmith has to do this with Tyler). It comes with age and guys slowing. I suspect it reached a breaking point and that was that. I can not believe it was a sudden hearing issue. Maybe it played a small role, but no way is it the real story in full. I can’t believe after 36 years AC/DC would say goodbye to their singer and not find a work around. MANY have hearing issues and find a way to make it work in rock. And until Brian speaks, we will never know. Brian is a total class act. So very possible he takes the high road here. But it still blows me away how so many fans are not demanding a real answer on Brian and are so quick to move on.” he continued.

He’s absolutely spot on here. Remember, back in February when they first initially made the announcement about his hearing loss, this was portrayed as a temporary issue. Now, they “wish him well in his future endeavors” as their statement said over the weekend when they announced Axl Rose as his replacement on the upcoming tour. That definitely sounds like someone got fired — which really sucks when he was your vocalist for more than 35 years and you can kick him to the curb just like that.