Official: Axl will join AC/DC for stadium tour/US dates

ZoSoRose

When this rumor first emerged about a month ago I didn't believe it  nor did I want to believe it.  But after going to Vegas, seeing Axl and Guns on stage together, killing it...it doesn't seem to bother me anymore.  Maybe it's because I have peace of mind now that the reunion tour will still go on unhithered and this won't affect it.  It's also the happiest I've seen Axl on stage ever...and I'm sure this has a lot to do with it.

10 shows fronting another legendary band a month before a Guns North American stadium tour...pretty cool, unique experience for Axl, GN'R fans and AC/DC fans. 

Edited by Kasanova King
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Asia said:

With Axl's broken leg so that he could break another one?

If I'm not mistaken; it's a bone in Axl's foot that's broken and (according to the "internal fixation-video") it should be ok by the first ac/dc-show :) 

Edit: But it would be funnier if Angus sat on Axl's shoulder while he wheeled across the stage in a wheelchair ;)

Edited by Homefuck

20 minutes ago, Appetiteyourillusion said:

It is well documented how much Slash likes AC/DC and has covered several of their songs (Highway to hell, TNT, Dirty Deeds, Jailbreak, Night prowler, etc...) wondering if Axl will have him come. Would be absolutely sick!

I think Slash cited Aerosmith and AC/DC as his biggest influences early on. Another reason that I think he is on board with this.

Anyhow, I would love to hear Axl sing Nightprowler replete with the Shazbot nanu nanu :lol:

11 minutes ago, Appetiteyourillusion said:

It is well documented how much Slash likes AC/DC and has covered several of their songs (Highway to hell, TNT, Dirty Deeds, Jailbreak, Night prowler, etc...) wondering if Axl will have him come. Would be absolutely sick!

Doubt it sincerely. So far Axl has been doing everything in his power to keep Slash as far away from the spotlight as possible, not the other way round. Plus doubt Angus would want anymore GNR members on stage.

1 minute ago, Asia said:

Doubt it sincerely. So far Axl has been doing everything in his power to keep Slash as far away from the spotlight as possible, not the other way round. Plus doubt Angus would want anymore GNR members on stage.

How is that?  (Axl keeping slash out of the spotlight)?

7 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

How is that?  (Axl keeping slash out of the spotlight)?

Never mentioned his name announcing the reunion, called him a former member in the press release, doesn't do any interviews about the reunion, doesn't let Slash do interviews (I doubt it was Slash's idea since he always did promotion in the press), Slash also doesn't say a word on stage which he always did, both in Guns and outside. Since being on stage with Axl he hasn't even said good evening or good night once to the audience. Isn't that a little weird?

It kinda seems like Axl is still insecure to give him back the position in Guns that he used to have. So far he keeps on emphasizing with his actions that this is till Axl's band with Slash just playing guitar there.

Edited by Asia

7 minutes ago, Asia said:

Please elaborate on how "Axl's been doing everything in his power to keep Slash as far away from the spotlight as possible". Do you have inside information?

Edited by Homefuck
  • Like 1

On reflection I can't accept this not at least until we've heard from Brian I live 9 miles north of Newcastle in the UK in 1984 I went for a few drinks a my local social club. As I was getting my pint a guy was in front of my getting served I thought he doesn't half look like Brian Johnson if he orders a bottle of Newcastle Brown Ale I'll know it's him. Anyway this guy  ordered "a pint and a half of lager (my heart sank it wasn't him) oh & a bottle of brown ale" I was straight in "ecuse me are you Brian Johnson" whey aye young 'un" he replied what a guy. He was sat at the other side of a room that held something like 500/600 people yet every time he bought drinks he came over to me & we had a chat. By the end of the night I didn't feel like I'd met one of my idols it felt like I'd made a really good new friend. He told me a few months previous he played in a club a couple of miles down the road with Geordie to 50/60 people then playing on his first gigs with AC/DC at Maids on Square Gardens to 15,000. AC/DC had just played Donington with Van Halen he was just a very normal guy out for a couple of beers.As I say he's a really nice guy & I need to reserve my judgement until we hear what Brian has to say as to wether I can accept Axl as the lead singer of AC/DC  & it's not a case of "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"

23 minutes ago, scrooge said:

Longtime AC/DC singer Brian Johnson has issued a statement explaining his recent battle with hearing loss, and clarifying the circumstances of his departure from the legendary Australian group’s current world tour.

Here is Johnson’s statement in full:

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer.  I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness.  While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage.  I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised.  In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow.  Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC.  I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond.  That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness.  Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine.  The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before.  Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work.  I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice.  The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years.  Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC.  My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring.  My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that.  For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing.  I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances.  While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic.  Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,
Brian

Read More: AC/DC's Brian Johnson Issues Statement on Departure from Group | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc-brian-johnson-departure-statement/?trackback=tsmclip

Feel bad for Brian. The statement from AC/DC did not sound like they intend to work with him in the future. Shitty situation for him.

16 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I think Slash cited Aerosmith and AC/DC as his biggest influences early on. Another reason that I think he is on board with this.

Anyhow, I would love to hear Axl sing Nightprowler replete with the Shazbot nanu nanu :lol:

Oh i'd like to hear his take on Touch too much and Livewire, shit like that is just made for him. Perhaps we might see some songs they haven't played often/at all with Brian, Riff Raff hadn't been played by Angus for 20 years.

24 minutes ago, scrooge said:

Longtime AC/DC singer Brian Johnson has issued a statement explaining his recent battle with hearing loss, and clarifying the circumstances of his departure from the legendary Australian group’s current world tour.

Here is Johnson’s statement in full:

As many AC/DC fans know, the remaining shows for the 2016 AC/DC Rock or Bust World Tour, including 10 postponed U.S. shows, are being rescheduled with a guest singer.  I want personally to explain the reason because I don’t believe the earlier press releases sufficiently set out what I wanted to say to our fans or the way in which I thought it should be presented.

On March 7th, after a series of examinations by leading physicians in the field of hearing loss, I was advised that if I continue to perform at large venues, I risked total deafness.  While I was horrified at the reality of the news that day, I had for a time become aware that my partial hearing loss was beginning to interfere with my performance on stage.  I was having difficulty hearing the guitars on stage and because I was not able to hear the other musicians clearly, I feared the quality of my performance could be compromised.  In all honesty this was something I could not in good conscience allow.  Our fans deserve my performance to be at the highest level, and if for any reason I can’t deliver that level of performance I will not disappoint our fans or embarrass the other members of AC/DC.  I am not a quitter and I like to finish what I start, nevertheless, the doctors made it clear to me and my bandmates that I had no choice but to stop performing on stage for the remaining shows and possibly beyond.  That was the darkest day of my professional life.

Since that day, I have had several consultations with my doctors and it appears that, for the near future, I will be unable to perform on stage at arena and stadium size venues where the sound levels are beyond my current tolerance, without the risk of substantial hearing loss and possibly total deafness.  Until that time, I tried as best as I could to continue despite the pain and hearing loss but it all became too much to bear and too much to risk.

I am personally crushed by this development more than anyone could ever imagine.  The emotional experience I feel now is worse than anything I have ever in my life felt before.  Being part of AC/DC, making records and performing for the millions of devoted fans this past 36 years has been my life’s work.  I cannot imagine going forward without being part of that, but for now I have no choice.  The one thing for certain is that I will always be with AC/DC at every show in spirit, if not in person.

Most importantly, I feel terrible having to disappoint the fans who bought tickets for the canceled shows and who have steadfastly supported me and AC/DC these many years.  Words cannot express my deep gratitude and heartfelt thanks not just for the recent outpouring to me personally of kind words and good wishes, but also for the years of loyal support of AC/DC.  My thanks also go to Angus and Cliff for their support.

Finally, I wish to assure our fans that I am not retiring.  My doctors have told me that I can continue to record in studios and I intend to do that.  For the moment, my entire focus is to continue medical treatment to improve my hearing.  I am hoping that in time my hearing will improve and allow me to return to live concert performances.  While the outcome is uncertain, my attitude is optimistic.  Only time will tell.

Once again, my sincere best wishes and thanks to everyone for their support and understanding.

Love,
Brian

Read More: AC/DC's Brian Johnson Issues Statement on Departure from Group | http://ultimateclassicrock.com/ac-dc-brian-johnson-departure-statement/?trackback=tsmclip

No more likes, damn.

Oh Brian! I really feel sorry for him and so sad for him. I really hope that he gets better soon and is able to realize his dream of recording in the studio in the future. At least this clears the air and puts things in perspective. Now there shouldn't be any cause for anymore insane rants from AC/DC fans at Axl filling in. If anything, he's doing the band a big favor.

1 minute ago, The Archer said:

No more likes, damn.

Oh Brian! I really feel sorry for him and so sad for him. I really hope that he gets better soon and is able to realize his dream of recording in the studio in the future. At least this clears the air and puts things in perspective. Now there shouldn't be any cause for anymore insane rants from AC/DC fans at Axl filling in. If anything, he's doing the band a big favor.

The rants will continue, just from a different angle. Instead of complaining that Brian was thrown in the dumpster like a piece of trash, they'll say Angus should just cancel the rest of the shows instead of continuing on at this point. Can't blame them if they feel that way cuz let's be honest, it isn't AC/DC anymore without Malcolm/Brian/Phil.

17 minutes ago, Asia said:

Never mentioned his name announcing the reunion, called him a former member in the press release, doesn't do any interviews about the reunion, doesn't let Slash do interviews (I doubt it was Slash's idea since he always did promotion in the press), Slash also doesn't say a word on stage which he always did, both in Guns and outside. Since being on stage with Axl he hasn't even said good evening or good night once to the audience. Isn't that a little weird?

It kinda seems like Axl is still insecure to give him back the position in Guns that he used to have. So far he keeps on emphasizing with his actions that this is till Axl's band with Slash just playing guitar there.

Seriously?  Good lord.

When did Axl announce a reunion?  For that matter, it's never been called a reunion.  Slash is a former member, so that's a fact.

No one is doing interviews....and you can't say for sure that is Axls call...or not.

who cares if he says anything or not...and formerly he rarely said much.  Again who knows if this is intent or not and who is responsible if so.  No I don't find it weird at all myself.  He never said good evening or good night, but usually (when in GnR at least) stumbled to the mic and would say something to the effect of "what's happening fuckers".  Not sure that was all that frequent of an occurrence either.

maybe you're right, but maybe you're not.  But you don't "know".

Edited by tsinindy
  • Like 1

I don't think this guy sounds anything like Axl, at least for the most part. But, he can sing AC/DC songs including BIB and Thunderstruck and Touch too much and does so in his own style. I think Axl too doesn't have to try imitate Bon or Brian and in fact, shouldn't. He just needs to sing the songs in his own style. He sounds similar to Bon on WLR and Riff Raff but he doesn't sing them like a cover band singer. As long as he stays from stuff like Rock or Bust that I have no interest in hearing, I'd be really keen to hear how Axl interprets the different eras of AC/DC - 74-79 with Bon, 80 - 85 with Brian at his peak and post '85. I think Axl should stick to mainly the Bon era, attack the songs from the '80-'85 era that suit his style and more or less ignore the songs that come after, barring a few.

11 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

Just to play devils advocate how would you feel if someone replaced Axl in Guns ? horrified.?outraged ?,dissapointed ? obviously that's how the AC/DC fans feel. 

I don't think anyone blames the AC\DC fans for how they feel.  But, they need to blame Angus, not Axl.

• Like 4

That's a sad statement from Brian, you can sense his loss and devastation. It must be a horrible thing to come to terms with, especially mid tour. It's a shame he didn't mention Axl by name and perhaps wish him well as it might have gone some way to smooth feelings over from the fanbase but reading between the lines I'm guessing he would have preferred the dates to be cancelled or postponed to give him chance to improve and that perhaps Axl wouldn't have been his choice of replacement.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Axl tackle something different but I understand the resistance of the AC/DC fanbase. I hope those willing to give it a shot enjoy some great shows.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AFD5 said:

Just to play devils advocate how would you feel if someone replaced Axl in Guns ? horrified.?outraged ?,dissapointed ? obviously that's how the AC/DC fans feel. 

It depends. Given the statement from Brian today, it is a very REAL thing that he could no longer perform live. Its not that he quit or was fired, he physically can't do it anymore. I think THAT makes it a different situation. If Axl couldn't physically do the shows and they asked Steven Tyler to come in and finish the shows, I would be all right with that. But it would have to be someone like Steven, not Myles Kennedy, I would NOT be ok with that. 

As for the Angus's motivation here, we don't know the WHOLE story, so we shouldn't just throw the guy under the bus. Maybe they still haven't made any money from this tour and album? Maybe these last few shows are the ones that were finally going to make them money? That would a good reason to want to finish them. Maybe Angus plans on giving Malcom a certain percentage of money (that perhaps he needs)? Their could be all sorts of scenrios here that people are just unaware of. I think Angus deserves a little more respect and understanding from the fans.

7 minutes ago, alfierose said:

That's a sad statement from Brian, you can sense his loss and devastation. It must be a horrible thing to come to terms with, especially mid tour. It's a shame he didn't mention Axl by name and perhaps wish him well as it might have gone some way to smooth feelings over from the fanbase but reading between the lines I'm guessing he would have preferred the dates to be cancelled or postponed to give him chance to improve and that perhaps Axl wouldn't have been his choice of replacement.

I'm very much looking forward to seeing Axl tackle something different but I understand the resistance of the AC/DC fanbase. I hope those willing to give it a shot enjoy some great shows.

I think that Brian hasn't been Axl's biggest fan in the past. I remember he commented about the late starts a few years ago.

38 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

who cares if he says anything or not...and formerly he rarely said much.  Again who knows if this is intent or not and who is responsible if so.  No I don't find it weird at all myself.  He never said good evening or good night, but usually (when in GnR at least) stumbled to the mic and would say something to the effect of "what's happening fuckers".  Not sure that was all that frequent of an occurrence either.

Actually I listen to a lot of bootlegs and Slash used to talk to the audience quite a bit in the early days around 87/88.. There was even a part every show where Axl would introduce him and he would come out and talk for a minute or two before introducing a song.

Since then not so much though.  Even in the Conspirators he didn't say a whole lot though he usually does say little something. 

I certainly don't think Axl has him under a gag order onstage though. If he wants to say something he will. 

• Like 1