Band Members Relationships

6 minutes ago, killuridols said:

If they couldn't handle Axl back then, when they were more tight and younger, there are no chances of them saying anything to Axl now.... He's got a full camp of enablers, servants, assistants and hanger-ons who will sweet talk him until lights go off.

You're probably right, but they're so much more mature nowadays. Not to mention sober. They've got their shit together and Duff especially seems like an intelligent guy who seems to think a lot about his relationships with the people around him (at least that's the impression I got from reading his books and other stuff). Part of me thinks that should count for something at least...

7 minutes ago, killuridols said:

It looks to me Duff and Slash just go to their job, do what they are paid to do and that's it. There's no friendship anymore, this is business. Axl built an entire circle when they left and it seems difficult for them to get back in. So I guess this is the price to pay.

But as long as they deliver wonderful shows and Axl can keep his voice in shape, then I suppose none of this matter, even if it hurts us as fans..

Yeah, the problem is that over the years of following that band, you kind of start to care about these morons as people and want them to be happy. At least I do, and that's why the whole situation irritates me :facepalm:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lumikki said:

You're probably right, but they're so much more mature nowadays. Not to mention sober. They've got their shit together and Duff especially seems like an intelligent guy who seems to think a lot about his relationships with the people around him (at least that's the impression I got from reading his books and other stuff). Part of me thinks that should count for something at least...

Yeah, the problem is that over the years of following that band, you kind of start to care about these morons as people and want them to be happy. At least I do, and that's why the whole situation irritates me :facepalm:

I feel ya, sis' :P

Axl seems quite content, though. I don't know what Duff could do, I think he's tried but maybe it's not that easy.

• Like 1

Yeah this is business for Slash and Duff they are mature and sober, but Axl is still inmature he don't have wife-decent girlfriend or kids like they to go home for them so he throws parties and hang around with these creepy people like Khan ugly motherfucker, and history is hapenning again Slash and Duff are quiet and playing gigs, one day will happen that they can't take Axl's shit anymore and just go away.

In our own work, do we always get along equally well with all our co-workers? Probably not, right? But we can still work with them. ASD seem comfortable with each other, with Dizzy and with the NuGuns contingent.

I have to think that ASD had to come to a mutual understanding/common ground/basic friendliness in order to work together again. It's been said that Slash and Axl may have started talking again several years ago...there would have been a lot of talking there before they could agree to do anything professionally. Duff and Axl were tight in the old days and it seems as though they have a friendship they genuinely enjoy, and Duff is great at being a neutral voice of reason, and that has to help.

And all of them have had help with their various demons...Slash and Duff have kicked drugs and alcohol, and we know that Axl has actively sought help for his emotional and anger-related issues (even during UYI he mentioned he was in therapy, and one doesn't hear about him being involved in DV issues in over 20 years).  Add that to the fact that they're older and (hopefully) wiser, and seem able to look on past events with a mature perspective (both Duff and Slash were pretty even keel and insightful when they talked about band issues in their books)...and they might be able to relate to each other better now than ever before.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, scooby845 said:

Since this reunion occurred and remembering all the other GnR eras, I seem to notice that not all band members share equal mutual relationships. I know that Axl, Slash and Duff feel wird and its an unknown road ahead so far but amidst all those things their relationship and stage chemistry and presence is the most distinguished so far. I have even seen that Slash had acknowledged Frank bu hugging him in Vegas. (If you recall even Ashba was 'best friends' with Tommy...). The point being in all eras there was some kind of mutual connection, but in this new one I cannot grasp the different worlds..what stands out is Slash relationship with Dizzy... I don't recall him befriending him even during UYI (you could see Gilby and Dizzy)..was it because he was against having a keyboard player in the band or something else.. I don't know.. why is that? Not all connections are active.. Like Dizzy and Frank or Dizzy and Fortus.. Even Slash and Fortus seem to be having more connections since reunion on stage and Slash and Frank on that Instagram pic.. 

Any thoughts?

*Feel free to move this topic to wherever it belongs...

Dizzy & DJ definitely had a good relationship especially when drinking Jager. Axl is good with all & definitely has been good with Duff since 2010 & now very close again with Slash you would expect. The rest are musicians & agree, I don't see how Slash can really coordinate with Dizzy when he is back left on stage. It is all a working relationship with the exception of Axl, Duff & Slash IMO.

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

If Axl's showing up on time and the shows are going smoothly why do they care what Axl does after the show? They go off with their families, Axl parties. If it's not affecting the shows why would that bother Duff or Slash? 

This.

But I actually agree with all of killuridols' posts on this thread, but the most important thing right now is, they deliver. So whatever goes behind the scene, IMO, takes the back seat. And I hope nothing will seriously damage their performing together on upcoming shows.

Hoping to see more killer performances these coming months.

Yeah, Dizzy played on the Snakepit record, which was kind of a friends project to begin with.

What I wondered about was what Duff thought of Dizzy... I remember that he called him a ''touring musician'' in his book instead of an official member and I think he only got a few mentions in that book anyway.

I think back in the day on UYI they grew apart because drugs/fame put you in different worlds. 

But now they are sober I think they are more on the same page. And maybe it's humor and mutual appreciation that is keeping them together. But they are all kind of working but they have all earned their positions. 

2 hours ago, Asia said:

People here talking about this being pure business are delusional. These people have a past together that will never ever make it possible for them to have a pure business relationship. You don't just forget all the emotions and feelings that you had for years and do business as usual. This just doesn't happen. They didn't meet yesterday. They have a long rocky relationship that has cost them more emotionally than can ever been put in words, even though a lot was put in words actually.

Axl was in great pain for endless years because of the split, Slash was in great pain too, he even wanted to kill himself because of how hurt and mistreated he felt by Axl, he made an album about him, he spent years getting high as a kite (his lost year that in reality lasted much longer). Do you really think they just forgot all of this and decided to make some money? That's utter bullshit. Does anyone really think they could have a pure business relationship, emotions aside, with their ex with whom they had the nastiest dovorce ever?

This reunion was all about personal in the first place. They wanted to reconcile with each other because they were and always will be each other's close family. The reunion just followed from mending personal bridges.

Of course they're adult and of course Slash doesn't need to participate in Axl's parties or whatever. In fact they never were the sort of buddies that hang out with the same people but still they were the closest people to one another. For this to work they need to be able to talk to each other the way they always have, they need to be able to share with each other what they think and feel, to discuss their plans and generally to spend time together on a personal level. They won't be like co-workers who don't like each other but work together. They have too much going on between them throughout their entire lives for it to be possible. I don't think they will ever reach the point where they can't hurt each other on a personal level and this means that whenever someone behaves like real asshole this will fall apart within a second.

Plus keep in mind Slash has always said he cannot work in a band with somebody he is not or cannot be friends with. It just doesn't work for him. And I'm not surprised. A band is not an office. It engages emotions in a way in which filling out invoices never will.

I'm out of likes, but this is a great post and I agree 100%. Very well put.

4 hours ago, Asia said:

People here talking about this being pure business are delusional. These people have a past together that will never ever make it possible for them to have a pure business relationship. You don't just forget all the emotions and feelings that you had for years and do business as usual. This just doesn't happen. They didn't meet yesterday. They have a long rocky relationship that has cost them more emotionally than can ever been put in words, even though a lot was put in words actually.

Axl was in great pain for endless years because of the split, Slash was in great pain too, he even wanted to kill himself because of how hurt and mistreated he felt by Axl, he made an album about him, he spent years getting high as a kite (his lost year that in reality lasted much longer). Do you really think they just forgot all of this and decided to make some money? That's utter bullshit. Does anyone really think they could have a pure business relationship, emotions aside, with their ex with whom they had the nastiest dovorce ever?

This reunion was all about personal in the first place. They wanted to reconcile with each other because they were and always will be each other's close family. The reunion just followed from mending personal bridges.

Of course they're adult and of course Slash doesn't need to participate in Axl's parties or whatever. In fact they never were the sort of buddies that hang out with the same people but still they were the closest people to one another. For this to work they need to be able to talk to each other the way they always have, they need to be able to share with each other what they think and feel, to discuss their plans and generally to spend time together on a personal level. They won't be like co-workers who don't like each other but work together. They have too much going on between them throughout their entire lives for it to be possible. I don't think they will ever reach the point where they can't hurt each other on a personal level and this means that whenever someone behaves like real asshole this will fall apart within a second.

Plus keep in mind Slash has always said he cannot work in a band with somebody he is not or cannot be friends with. It just doesn't work for him. And I'm not surprised. A band is not an office. It engages emotions in a way in which filling out invoices never will.

No one said their memories have been wiped or that there aren't feelings for each other. For sure, there are. But we really don't know why they are back to play these shows. It could be pure business, it could be pure emotional or it could be a mix of both (which would be the ideal case). Truth is we don't know what brought them together because they haven't talked to the press or even the fans. No one said one single thing about it, so all we can do is speculate on what's going on.

I see this band as a divorced couple, that after many years of fighting, legal battles and new relationships on both sides, they were able to reach an agreement of being civil to each other only because of their children. Guns N' Roses music and fans are the children of Axl, Slash and Duff. They are getting along because of us and the music. They understood that was important, very important for everyone and hopefully, they will be able to keep it together while the tour lasts.

Won't believe they have mended fences at all until I learn Axl, Slash, Duff and hopefully, some other member from the classic lineup, release a new album under the Guns N' Roses name. If this happens, then I will know our divorced parents are back together for real.