What the hell is up with song temps?

5 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I just had the same thought. 

Everyone in this thread realizes this has nothing to do with Frank, right? 

Matt Sorum, Steven Adler, Stevie Wonder, Jesus H Christ.... It doesn't matter who the drummer is on these shows. The songs are being played at the exact tempo GNR wants to play them at due to the click track in Frank's ear. 

If you don't like the faster tempo, that's fine of course but your problem is with the tempo GNR is choosing to play them at, not any one member in particular. 

I've been here since 2003 I think. It just amazes me that people pick out every band member to crap on. I feel sorry for people that can't listen to supposedly their favorite band and nit pick every detail instead of appreciating the music itself. You want it perfect? Listen to the cd. Oh wait a minute.....that's not good enough for some of you either. And damn you crowd, jump up and down for 3 hours don't just stand there it looks bad on YouTube. :lol:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Matt Sorum, Steven Adler, Stevie Wonder, Jesus H Christ.... It doesn't matter who the drummer is on these shows. The songs are being played at the exact tempo GNR wants to play them at due to the click track in Frank's ear. 

If you don't like the faster tempo, that's fine of course but your problem is with the tempo GNR is choosing to play them at, not any one member in particular. 

Russ, I believe he only uses the click for Chinese Democracy songs.

2 hours ago, Tyler Drama said:

Frank has never played the 1987-1993 songs with metronomes, only Chinese Democracy songs.

thanks for letting me know that Guns n Roses songs are now called "1987-1993" songs

i am always learning new stuff on this forum

its actually hard to keep it up with you guys, you are so fast, fast like frank!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

The songs are being played at the exact tempo GNR wants to play them at due to the click track in Frank's ear. 

4 minutes ago, Tyler Drama said:

Russ, I believe he only uses the click for Chinese Democracy songs.

So which is it? It seems we don't actually know if it's Frank being out of time or by request.

And then some people say it was played like this with nuGNR, other say it was not.

Ether way it's something that's noticeable now and it's distracting.

4 hours ago, slitherz said:

Why since reunion song tempos are way too fast? Frank had no problem with tempos during previous tours, so what's the problem? Could be that Slash and Duff wanted to play them faster?

probably because they cant stand each other and cant stand playing 30-years-old songs for the millionth time and they just wanna end it as soon as possible so they can get their cash and go home

this butchering would NEVER happen if Izzy and Steven were in this band

whatever the reason, i prefer the tempo of the studio version of any song. And yes its weird that this is the first time since the original encarnation of GnR we are seeing this...

Edited by NTONIUS
typo

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

this is another evidence of why GNR needs izzy

he would never allow this shit to happen

also it is funny to notice how axl perfeccionism just disappeared. no perfeccionist would ever allow this shit to happen

i doubt they are scared to get on Frank and Frank is in no position to get upset about them getting on him

i have to think its by design for whatever reason and not the band trying to play catch up with Frank...that would be nipped after a song or 2

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

this is another evidence of why GNR needs izzy

he would never allow this shit to happen

also it is funny to notice how axl perfeccionism just disappeared. no perfeccionist would ever allow this shit to happen

What "shit" you talking about?

• Like 1

Noticed that Axl is jumping his marks as well, coming in way too early - Frank then speeds up to catch it, and it become a bit of a mess in places. One thing is for sure: the band isn't tight. Possible that they simply need more rehearsal time together to work out the kinks, both in monitors and playing.

THANK YOU! This has been my number one complaint since the reunion started. I was blaming Frank initially, but as others have said - I think it must be a collective decision to play the songs at a faster tempo.

You could even hear Angus struggling with it at Coachella! :lol: 

1 hour ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Adrenaline. It is a REAL thing folks.

This.

I just think they're amped up on stage and having a blast.
It's a live show, not a studio session. It's their gig and they're having fun. Personally, I like the revved up shit. :shrugs:
I take it as a sign they are not calling it in, they are digging it and going full throttle.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Zint said:

This.

I just think they're amped up on stage and having a blast.
It's a live show, not a studio session. It's their gig and they're having fun. Personally, I like the revved up shit. :shrugs:
I take it as a sign they are not calling it in, they are digging it and going full throttle.

I concur.

It's worth noting that Slash has been playing just as fast with SMKC. Check out them doing Jungle - faster than Vegas/Coachella.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, gnr5 said:

@RussTCB 

@Tyler Drama

How do you guys know how he has his click track setup? From a drummer perspective that kid needs a click track BAD! Is not only that his tempo is up, but sometimes he rushes the fills so it sounds like hes playing ahead of time. DTJ was a disaster (for me) in Vegas 1.

When there is video/animations on the screens to match the music and/or pyro the drummer usually has a clicktrack. Other musicians might also use it whenever they are playing without drums, i.e Ashba in the intro to chinese (if you have listened to the leaked soundboard mix you can hear the clicktrack at certain parts)

The times were all over the place in the old days. That is called rock n' roll. I just watched the coachella clips and I'm fairly impressed. The only song that sounded like shit was Nightrain which is my favourite Guns song; it just lacked something somehow; it sounded mechanical, lacking groove, and yes, played a bit too fast.

The entire show is choreographed, when using intelligent lighting, led videos and all the other bells and whistles of a modern rock show, everything is strictly timed. The drummer is using a click on every single song, no exceptions. It has to be that way to pull off all of the production. So simply put, the tempos are pre-determined and they are playing them at the speed that they want to. I do however agree that they are struggling at times to keep up with the tempos, it's noticeable. My personal opinion is they are rushing to try and fit in as many songs as possible. They are playing an extremely large set! Cut a couple of songs and go back to the original tempos...

• Like 1