What the hell is up with song temps?

I seen an interview with Slash were he states that most of his riffs started out slower and more funky. He even mentioned that  he rerecorded Paradise just to have a version with the slower riff.

He explained that things just always got sped up in Guns. 

I doubt it's just him deciding to do it that way. 

It is annoying though. Slash can't keep up with the solos at times. 

I'm absolutely certain it's a whole band decision. I actually like the sped up tempos tbh, maybe PC is a little too fast, but I hated the slowed down UYI era tempos, especially on jungle, a fast tempo keeps the songs high in energy imo. Maybe slow down KOHD, NR and Don't Cry a tad, but it doesn't bother me.

2 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

I'm absolutely certain it's a whole band decision. I actually like the sped up tempos tbh, maybe PC is a little too fast, but I hated the slowed down UYI era tempos, especially on jungle, a fast tempo keeps the songs high in energy imo. Maybe slow down KOHD, NR and Don't Cry a tad, but it doesn't bother me.

NuGNR has played at normal tempos for over 15 years. Slash, a guy known for playing dramatically increased tempo versions of GNR songs at his own solo shows, comes back, the tempo on everything is suddenly drastically raised, and you think it's a band decision?

I'm of the opinion that this was one of the stipulations for his return. He doesn't want to play solos note for note, he wants to shred and skip half of the notes.

Edited by bacardimayne

16 minutes ago, jacdaniel said:

If it was only Slash, than why is November Rain sped up? He has very little involvement until the solos in that song. 

I've watched videos and Axl is struggling to play piano and sing it. 

Was about to post the exact same thing... Frank actually brings NR somewhere near back inline.  Axl kicks that one off at a frenetic pace.

Maybe it's all down to adrenaline?

• Like 1

PC was insanely fast last night. It was probably less than 5 mins long, I had a feeling that the song just started and it was allready over. But I think they were just in a hurry because of the curfew.

41 minutes ago, Philipm787 said:

I like the faster tempo (during the UYI tour it was sometimes to slow, never was a fan) but for some songs during this tour, it's way too fast.

1 hour ago, bacardimayne said:

NuGNR has played at normal tempos for over 15 years. Slash, a guy known for playing dramatically increased tempo versions of GNR songs at his own solo shows, comes back, the tempo on everything is suddenly drastically raised, and you think it's a band decision?

I'm of the opinion that this was one of the stipulations for his return. He doesn't want to play solos note for note, he wants to shred and skip half of the notes.

Yeah, I do think it's a band decision, as this is guns n roses, still axls band, and if he wasn't happy with the tempos, he wouldn'cupcake with it, like he is doing now. And slash doesn't play the piano intro to November rain, which in most of the shows had been sped up too.

I think there is very few solos slash has ever played note for note, he's all about improvisation.

10 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

The 2nd half of PC was hilarious. Slash had no time to really solo so he just shredded the whole thing through with tons of notes

I didn't see last nights show yet but the whole tour the songs have been waaayyy too fast and Slash never get's the chance to find his groove and be Slash during the solos.. I have seen Slash's solo band like 10 times and it was never this fast. They nail songs like Rocket Queen perfectly.. Watching him try to jam during Rocket Queen with this band is painful..

9 hours ago, bigpoop said:

It makes me wonder if they even bother listening to the shows or watching video, because there's no way they could hear some of this stuff and think it sounded good.

I was wondering the same thing...

9 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

the Stones did this c.mid '70s - early '80s. All their songs were excessively speeded-up, rendering them dull and listless.

A much lesser band/example but KISS also did this in the late eighties to try to be seen as contemporary in an age when speed rock and flashy guitar solos were all the rage. The songs all sounded like shit as a result.

9 hours ago, bacardimayne said:

That whole post is absurd.. First of all to say his band plays the songs dramatically fast is a bit of a stretch.. I have seen them 10 times and watch their live videos all the time and it was never an issue. Slash tears it up and has been playing better than ever in his solo band. These tempos are so fast he can't even play like himself.. Slash didn't give a stipulation that they speed up songs like this. This band just doesn't click half the time.