What the hell is up with song temps?

Yeah most of the "negatives" people are pointing out just go with age/live shows etc

But the tempo is killing some of the songs, Coma would have been definitely easy for Axl to sing if it wasn't the breakneck speed it was at the end

But before anyone goes to hard on Frank.....remember Mr Brownstone RIR 2001 <_<

• Like 1

It could be that they don't want to play for as long. Speeding up the shows puts less strain on Axl's voice? I don't know, but I find it hard to believe it isn't on purpose. There has to be a reason.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nintari said:

It could be that they don't want to play for as long. Speeding up the shows puts less strain on Axl's voice? I don't know, but I find it hard to believe it isn't on purpose. There has to be a reason.

Yeah, I tend to believe it is intentional

I'm quite sure they are playing at exactly the tempo they want, at this professional level it really is not about drummer going faster than he should. So it's gotta be conscious decision to speed things up a little bit. I would personally prefer to see some of the songs played a bit slower, but I guess it's matter of taste and it could add some rawness into the live show to go a bit faster then the original versions

In Vegas I thought some of it was nerves on Frank's part, especially since he did slow down a bit on the second night, but now I think Axl, Slash and/or Duff asked him to pick up the tempo. We know Axl has no problem calling him out on something, he's done it a least a couple times in the past, so it's intentional...
It really is my only 'complaint' about the shows though, Frank is noticeably out of place on DTJ, RQ, YCBM, PC, and while not as bad he's still too fast on Brownstone, Coma, and parts of the ballads.

• Like 2

I didn't notice the tempo at all when I was at the show, but when I listened back to my recording I was like "Damn, that's fast" on more than a few songs. When I clicked on PC from Coachella, I was stunned at how fast Slash was playing the intro. Overall, I don't mind the uptempo feel, but I can see how people are bothered by it. 

15 minutes ago, RockerRoller said:

Bring back adler! Bring back adler!

This has nothing to do with Frank. He's playing to the click track that is set to exactly the tempo that GN'R wants to do these songs.

• Like 2

I was actually going to open a thread when I see this topic already opened.

This is just - bad.

At the times it sounded like cartoon. I finally found a working link, woke up, in Europe, with November rain and asked my wife WTF!?!?

They ALL seemed to struggle with pace and played over each other.

November rain, KOHD, Nightrain...It seemed like abandoned train on collision course.

I don't know what it is, but now after first three shows it seems very - plastic, to say the least.

Not much talking from the band, playing many songs, some reworked for the worse (KOHD), seems like something is missing.

I do hope they go back to UYI line up as quickly as possible.

Fortus and Frank = just bad fit.

During UYI era, I thought why plaing LALD and KOHD with so many great songs on UYI, now KOHD sounds just strange. Wish they would play it UYI era. It sounds to speed up, sort of reworked but no soul it used to have. It sounded big during UYI now sort of lost in translation.

And yes, Ferrer and Fortus, despite some ppl liking them, just don't match the current line up. Not physicaly, not musicaly, not in any way.

Matt, Gilby or Izzy shall be there by all means.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

I was actually going to open a thread when I see this topic already opened.

This is just - bad.

At the times it sounded like cartoon. I finally found a working link, woke up, in Europe, with November rain and asked my wife WTF!?!?

They ALL seemed to struggle with pace and played over each other.

November rain, KOHD, Nightrain...It seemed like abandoned train on collision course.

I don't know what it is, but now after first three shows it seems very - plastic, to say the least.

Not much talking from the band, playing many songs, some reworked for the worse (KOHD), seems like something is missing.

I do hope they go back to UYI line up as quickly as possible.

Fortus and Frank = just bad fit.

During UYI era, I thought why plaing LALD and KOHD with so many great songs on UYI, now KOHD sounds just strange. Wish they would play it UYI era. It sounds to speed up, sort of reworked but no soul it used to have. It sounded big during UYI now sort of lost in translation.

And yes, Ferrer and Fortus, despite some ppl liking them, just don't match the current line up. Not physicaly, not musicaly, not in any way.

Matt, Gilby or Izzy shall be there by all means.

Exactly this! i like fortus tho..

7 minutes ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

You people! :facepalm:

I just had the same thought. 

Everyone in this thread realizes this has nothing to do with Frank, right? 

Matt Sorum, Steven Adler, Stevie Wonder, Jesus H Christ.... It doesn't matter who the drummer is on these shows. The songs are being played at the exact tempo GNR wants to play them at due to the click track in Frank's ear. 

If you don't like the faster tempo, that's fine of course but your problem is with the tempo GNR is choosing to play them at, not any one member in particular. 

• Like 3