Any Yes fans?

HeartbreakerWoman

• 2 weeks later...

Been a huge Yes fan since the Yes album....saw them twice in the 70's with Wakeman, again with Moraz. Saw them again during the Union tour and on an off including with new singer Jon Davison a year ago who actually is very good and sounds a lot like Anderson. Thought that incarnation of the band was respectable but that Downes was weal link on keyboards. He relly can;t play Wakeman's stuff very well.

No interest in he current band now that Squire is gone and Anderson has said he and Wakeman are supposedly making new music with Trevor Rabin and might tour. To me that would be more Yes than the current band and I would love to see them tour........

17 minutes ago, Rovim said:

Yes, Rush, Genesis, the guy with the flute. Progressive was a dead end imo. It's boring and aimless the lyrics are total shit and the music is hopeless, never cared for it personally.

I will give you the answer the ChiDem defenders used to say to those who trashed that album...."It is too complex for you and you just don't understand it"...........:P

But seriously I get it, Prog is something you either love or not...doesn't seem to be a middle ground 

15 minutes ago, classicrawker said:

I will give you the answer the ChiDem defenders used to say to those who trashed that album...."It is too complex for you and you just don't understand it"...........:P

But seriously I get it, Prog is something you either love or not...doesn't seem to be a middle ground 

Progressive is masturbation. All the cool elements gone and instead these bands have expanded on all the wrong elements to me. Like when you cook something and you put a bunch of spices in exaggerated quantities cause you can't fuckin' cook anything and can barely taste what it is you're eating.

Why do they need a 5 min solo that doesn't go anywhere and then another shitty chord change to another dead end section and no one knows what the fuck they're talking about, or at least I don't want to know. It's probably about larping again music that never ends turned up to 11 and tedious as hell.

Probably one of the worst mutations of rock ever.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

Progressive is masturbation. All the cool elements gone and instead these bands have expanded on all the wrong elements to me. Like when you cook something and you put a bunch of spices in exaggerated quantities cause you can't fuckin' cook anything and can barely taste what it is you're eating.

Why do they need a 5 min solo that doesn't go anywhere and then another shitty chord change to another dead end section and no one knows what the fuck they're talking about, or at least I don't want to know. It's probably about larping again music that never ends turned up to 11 and tedious as hell.

What gets me is the title, progressive...where's the progression, whats actually progressed in terms of the format, the framework?  What, the solos are longer?  Nothing that is progressive is ever conservative, progression comes from deconstructing formats or turning them on their head or disregarding them completely, it's about alternate rhythms, time signatures, sounds, there was literally nothing alternative about Prog', it's just a bunch of people that took cues from the indulgent aspects of people like Jimi Hendrix were doing and all they took from it was 'oh look, it's longer, they go off on these instrumental passages' and all that, it's extremely talented people in terms of their instruments but none of the instinctive wit and brains to figure out what it was that made things like Miles Davis or even Pet Sounds era Beach Boys a great thing.  It's witless music.  Just a bunch of arrogant British and American musicians thinking they're the fuckin' bollocks cuz they could read music and fuckin' go on for ages doing all this stuff that was just eventually sussed out as shite, once the hippie drugs wore off and a young generation grew up realising that these lot were just phonies.  

I tell ya where there was REAL progressive music in that era though, people that were actually making music that was something different and not only that but led to so much other substantial music, that was Germany.  They called it Krautrock to knock it and position themselves as superior to what was just a bunch of Germans copying their thing when really they were doing nothing like all that Uriah Heep shite, groups like Kraftwerk or Can or Neu!  Prog to me is just like this embarassing era that came, kinda disco fashion (as opposed to the music) where people just look back and go 'what the fuck was that, what were we thinking?'.  As opposed to stuff like Kraftwerk and Neu! who led to the inception of other seriously substantial genres and influenced bands with some fuckin' stones who really were willing to experiment, i don't see anything progressive Prog, i think it's a bag of shite.

I mean just have a listen to that, it's fuckin' painful, it's like playing pass the parcel and taking off layer after layer after layer of wrapping off until finally you discover it's just wrapping wrapped in wrapping.  The fact that it took Miser to start this thread should tell you something in itself :lol:

Edited by Len B'stard
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Rovim said:

one mans music is anothers mans noise......I think death metal and hip hop  is awful but to each his own..........:shrugs:

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 1

I listen to their new album on a flight recently. I was always biased against Yes because my religious studies teacher recommended them after seeing one of my gothic metal graveyard paitings. All I ever did in art class was draw skulls and graveyards. I think he was saying the style was similar to Yes album covers. I did use a lot of black paint I have to say. 

Edited by wasted
Typos
  • Like 1

On 02/05/2016 at 8:09 AM, wasted said:

I listen to their new album on a flight recently. I was always biased against Yes because my religious studies teacher recommended them after seeing one of my gothic metal graveyard paitings. All I ever did in art class was draw skulls and graveyards. I think he was saying the style was similar to Yes album covers. I did use a lot of black paint I have to say. 

Rs teachers music, perfectly summed up :lol:

Not so sure about it being a dead end, the metal guys took to it with open arms, and I'm guessing it's due to the lack of restriction in playing, and the song doesn't have to be just 4 chords, and just 4 minutes verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-chorus-end.

33 minutes ago, moreblack said:

Not so sure about it being a dead end, the metal guys took to it with open arms, and I'm guessing it's due to the lack of restriction in playing, and the song doesn't have to be just 4 chords, and just 4 minutes verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus-chorus-end.

But it has to be good. It's not good. There is no point to this music. Metal is a dead end as well as it too is barren of the true magic of it's daddy. At least hard rock can still contain all the good stuff like Jimi proved, Cream too. Ginger Baker is always right.

I call them fun genres. Not the real thing and no metal or progressive metal number could ever rival the real shit. It's easy to detect like I enjoy metal and industrial but don't kid yourself in thinking these can ever amount to anything of true value.

Blues, classical, hip hop, reggae, Jazz, funk, soul, rock n' roll, punk, pop are good examples of genres that can contain enough elements to make it truly perfect. That is based only on my personal taste of course I don't mean to shit on these genres as a lot of them are fun and influenced better bands in none-joke genres.

Edited by Rovim

14 minutes ago, Rovim said:

But it has to be good.

It is to them and their fans, for the most part these guys exist outside the regular normal music, even if they might like some of it, it doesn't satisfy them like this stuff does.

Edited by moreblack

4 minutes ago, moreblack said:

It is to them and their fans

Can't buy good taste unfortunately and just because shit music got fans as well doesn't mean the shit music is not shit. It only means the fans got shit taste. Some things are objectively shitty. Like progressive metal for example. This is strictly my view on it, to each his own.

I don't need all the elements to enjoy it but it's not my idea of what music is all about.

1 hour ago, wasted said:

Are Dream Theatre classed as progressive metal? 

I can only really get down with bands living on the astral plane. 

I would say so. One of the worst bands ever. Drums sound totally ass and the vibe is "we are here to display our penis and masturbate all over you for no good reason with shitty lyrics and great technical prowess." I always think of suicide when I listen to The Spirit Carries On, everyone is just noodling. I'd rather listen to a recording of me taking a very noisy shit personally speaking cause there is no bite to it of any kind.

Edited by Rovim