Axl Rose vs. Bruce Dickinson: who's the best?

14 minutes ago, The Archer said:

I saw Bruce and Maiden live ten years ago and the man is a livewire on stage. He was running and jumping all over the place - way more than Axl does at a show - without losing his breath or not being a 100% even once. But then again, I think Bruce takes much better care of himself. The air raid siren is one of the greatest frontmen of all time and while Axl is higher up on the list for me, I think that Bruce is and has consistently been just fantastic. 

People like to praise both their bands for having great guitar work, and a big part of having that music with the extended solos, is that it gives those singers a good amount of recovery time between one high wailing vocally demanding part, and the next high wailing vocally demanding part.

8 hours ago, Iron MikeyJ said:

Same goes for Dio. Dio is a legend, and I can't take anything away from the man, but him and Yngwie Malmsteen did a cover of Dream on by Aerosmith. It doesn't sound shitty no, but it doesn't sound all that good either. Dio over sings it and Yngwie tries to shred the Shit out of it, in the end it kinda sounds like a mess. Its not a patch on the original, and again gnr would do a MUCH better cover imo.

Some might like it better, but I don't. Tyler has more GRIT in his voice than even Dio had. Honestly they kinda ruined the song imo. 

the thing with dio was before he was in a metal band he had a career that already spanned almost 20 years. in the late 60's(this was recorded) and the early 70's he was doing southern/blues rock, and before that in the late 50's  doing doo wop.

i tend to agree though i rather metal singers do metal and rock singers do rock, for the most part the styles are completely different. i really wouldn't want to hear axl doing maiden nor would i want to hear bruce doing gnr :lol:

Edited by bran
  • Like 1

hard to tell....Guns is the better band for me for sure, even I like Maiden. Bruce indeed has a lot of energy and really works with and pushes the crowd, so he is pretty good as a frontman. However one has to consider that Maiden shows go only for about 90-100 minutes only and Guns is usually 2,5 hours.

Also Axl on the other hand has a much more of charisma on stage and is like the prototype of a rockstar.

Wonder how Bruce know sounds nowadays after his throat/tongue cancer therapy....

49 minutes ago, God of Thunder said:

hard to tell....Guns is the better band for me for sure, even I like Maiden. Bruce indeed has a lot of energy and really works with and pushes the crowd, so he is pretty good as a frontman. However one has to consider that Maiden shows go only for about 90-100 minutes only and Guns is usually 2,5 hours.

Also Axl on the other hand has a much more of charisma on stage and is like the prototype of a rockstar.

Wonder how Bruce know sounds nowadays after his throat/tongue cancer therapy....

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

Nice, yeah when I saw them a few weeks ago it was impressive how his voice is still as strong as ever, even accounting for his age.

on a side note it's kinda cool I own one of those 3 gold pickup Black Beauty Epiphones like the one Janick is playing on this song.

Edited by moreblack

On 4/18/2016 at 0:03 PM, Faxl Rows said:

Bruce is a badass. 

I made eye contact with bruce at a small club while he was singing 2 minutes to midnight.  it was great.  he looked right at me for like 2 minutes.  he must have thought...what a psycho....lol

As much as I think Axl is/was a good singer, whenever someone asks me who I think is the best singer ever in metal or rock I immediately say Bruce. 

The man is 58 years old and sounds as good, if not better than he did 10 years ago. I saw them in 2005 and he was amazing then, and I saw them again a few weeks ago and he was fucking amazing again. 

• Like 1

That video of Bruce singing Sin City, to me, is a perfect example of why AC/DC is such a genius band.....

Such a simple song in theory, and those guys covering it are all technically accomplished no doubt.... but they totally butcher the song -- take out all the dynamics and just turn it into a pummelling generic rock song both vocally and musically. 

The world is gonna miss AC/DC when they're done for good -- sorry for the tangent haha. 

Edited by Ant

10 minutes ago, Ant said:

That video of Bruce singing Sin City, to me, is a perfect example of why AC/DC is such a genius band.....

Such a simple song in theory, and those guys covering it are all technically accomplished no doubt.... but they totally butcher the song -- take out all the dynamics and just turn it into a pummelling generic rock song both vocally and musically. 

The world is gonna miss AC/DC when they're done for good -- sorry for the tangent haha. 

Yep.  Everybody thinks the AC/DC stuff is easy but nobody actually plays it right when they cover it. Same thing with the Ramones.

Edited by bigpoop

15 minutes ago, tsinindy said:

Halford way better than Bruce....maybe not now, but Halford is legit all time great.

I saw Judas Priest last year. He can still scream like before, he doesn't move much but he can scream like a mad man. Listen to this, 2 unbelievable screams. Hair on my back and neck got erection. Never happened before from someones voice :lol: Dude is 64...