Axl Rose vs. Bruce Dickinson: who's the best?

22 minutes ago, onemanmambo said:

A new Youtube video is asking who is the best singer in the world: Bruce Dickinson or Axl Rose?

“Editing this video was painful as I had to leave out so much phenomenal material,” said the fan known as One Man Mambo.

The footage compares Dickinson and Rose since 1981.

The 15-minute video can be seen at http://youtu.be/ly4v-AJDPQM

Thanks for posting this.  What a great vid.

Tough question to...wow, as both of these bands are two of my absolute favorites it's not easy to answer.

i will say that in his prime Axl may have been arguably the greatest front man ever.  However over the course of time I think Bruce makes up a lot of ground on him.

im still going with early 90s Axl though.

Very STUPID question. 

Axl is for mane the gratest frontman/rock singer of all time. ( only mercury can fight that a little)

Axl have several awards and recognitions ( even last year he got one ) for his thing.

I mean, come on, its not even worth the argument.  Axl is just the best . period.

To say who is the best you first have to define what "best" means. However, no matter how you slice it Axl Rose is up there, but no way the best. That's not a knock on Rose, either, but more a statement that there are so many wonderful musicians out there and preferences are so personal, that it's silly to try and pick.

10 minutes ago, PappyTron said:

To say who is the best you first have to define what "best" means. However, no matter how you slice it Axl Rose is up there, but no way the best. That's not a knock on Rose, either, but more a statement that there are so many wonderful musicians out there and preferences are so personal, that it's silly to try and pick.

You said no way he's the best and then admitted it's personal preference. For some people he is the best and for others he is not. 

Personally I think Dickinson wins this question due to longevity. He took better care of his voice and body for decades. Prime Axl was probably better, but he didn't take care of himself. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

You said no way he's the best and then admitted it's personal preference. For some people he is the best and for others he is not. 

Personally I think Dickinson wins this question due to longevity. He took better care of his voice and body for decades. Prime Axl was probably better, but he didn't take care of himself. 

I think that it's personal preference in that we all like who we like and for each of us that makes them "the best", but at the same time it is fair to say that some singers are indeed simply better by all measurable standards than others; Axl Rose IS a more talented singer than Justin Beiber, for example.

Just now, PappyTron said:

I think that it's personal preference in that we all like who we like and for each of us that makes them "the best", but at the same time it is fair to say that some singers are indeed simply better by all measurable standards than others; Axl Rose IS a more talented singer than Justin Beiber, for example.

Nah. I think it's 100% subjective. There are millions of people around the world who think Bieber is the best thing ever. 

1 minute ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Nah. I think it's 100% subjective. There are millions of people around the world who think Bieber is the best thing ever. 

Objectively Axl Rose is (well, was) a better singer than Bieber; nobody involved in the music theory end of the business would disagree.

7 minutes ago, Estranged Fan said:

I love both singers Axl is my personal favorite, but their style and music is so different I don't know if you can compare them.

Yep, even Axl himself said that they had nothing in common with Maiden.

• Like 1

these threads are pointless.. of course most people on a gnr forums are gonna say axl just like a maiden forum would choose bruce but if you're asking who's a better classical singer then bruce probably wins.. I still prefer axl's voice because I"m not a fan of the operatic vocals guys like bruce, dio, and geoff tate use..  btw did you use the ritz 87 teaser clips or do you have the full bootleg op

Edited by spliff

Seen them both less then a week apart and live vocally Axl sounds better but man can Bruce work a crowd I thought the Forum's walls were going to crumble a couple times Friday night ,great show ,great frontman

I'd start saying that this comparison is stupid and unnecessary (two different kind of singers, two different music genres and backgrounds), but I can't believe there's people who say that, as a singer, Axl is better than Bruce.

Dickinson DESTROYS Axl in vocal control, extension, discipline, training and phisical shape. The guy is in his 57, he's still doing helluva job on the old Maiden tunes and he sounds incredible in Book Of Souls. Two different planets.
On the other hand, Axl at the time was better in being a frontman and for stage presence.

If we talk about being a vocalist in a generic way, Bruce is one of the best outta there.
If we talk, instead, about being a rock singer, Axl all the way. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Torb said:

I'd start saying that this comparison is stupid and unnecessary (two different kind of singers, two different music genres and backgrounds), but I can't believe there's people who say that, as a singer, Axl is better than Bruce.

Dickinson DESTROYS Axl in vocal control, extension, discipline, training and phisical shape. The guy is in his 57, he's still doing helluva job on the old Maiden tunes and he sounds incredible in Book Of Souls. Two different planets.
On the other hand, Axl at the time was better in being a frontman and for stage presence.

If we talk about being a vocalist in a generic way, Bruce is one of the best outta there.
If we talk, instead, about being a rock singer, Axl all the way. 

The thing is.. at least for me.. Bruce bores me. Axl at his worst day is more interesting than Bruce at his best. 

Axl got that mojo going on, he's Maradona. Bruce is Platini.

• Like 1

Just now, Russel Nash said:

The thing is.. at least for me.. Bruce bores me. Axl at his worst day is more interesting than Bruce at his best. 

Axl got that mojo going on, he's Maradona. Bruce is Platini.

They both amaze me, but the "boredom" you get is personal, I guess.