05/22/16 - Prague, Czech Republic - Letnany Airport

downzy

45 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Pretty sure they've played Dog Eat Dog already on this tour. I could be mistaken. I watched Riverplate again the other day so I could be getting confused with that.

Nope, this was the first time for Dog Eat Dog since 2009.

• Like 1

This is my fanatical analysis (albeit mostly guesswork off of mobile recordings): Axl didn't have enough time to warm up due to the early start. Got over excited for his first show without the throne and thought he was the shit and absolutely went for it harder than usual (you can hear him going sick on BiB, sicker than usual anyway) so he tired his voice out a bit too early in the show. Plus I think he was a little bit more drunk than usual judging by him swaggering around thinking he's the shit. Also he had a couple of lyrical mistakes (forgot the first "yeah, it's alright" on Thunderstruck. All these factors (which are probably wrong :p) resulted in a less than stellar performance. Axl's greatness is a double edged sword in my opinion. He overperforms to such an unbelievable degree sometimes, that when he doesn't quite reach that level he gets criticized for it.

Edited by AlexC
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Gem Archer said:

i think getting off the chair was not a good idea...he's going out of breath easily now...

So what, should he get a a permanent throne for the rest of his career so he can hit every note to your liking? Give me a break. 

I just listened to Thunderstruck. I don't think tonight's performance was anything to worry about long-term. He was still hitting that one with rasp pretty hard about 95% of the time. Those squeaks though on the second verse, are not typical of him, even when Mickey is out in full force. A cracking voice like that is more typical of some sort of temporary issue with the vocal cords. Remember it was apparently pretty cold in Vienna - he was wearing a scarf for a majority of the show. This could be something as simple as him still feeling the strain after singing on a chilly night. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tajandreas said:

So what, should he get a a permanent throne for the rest of his career so he can hit every note to your liking? Give me a break. 

of course not...but it was a quick change of scenario and maybe he's not 100% to give a full show standing up...these songs are not easy to sing..

just my opinion..

4 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

I just listened to Thunderstruck. I don't think tonight's performance was anything to worry about long-term. He was still hitting that one with rasp pretty hard about 95% of the time. Those squeaks though on the second verse, are not typical of him, even when Mickey is out in full force. A cracking voice like that is more typical of some sort of temporary issue with the vocal cords. Remember it was apparently pretty cold in Vienna - he was wearing a scarf for a majority of the show. This could be something as simple as him still feeling the strain after singing on a chilly night. 

Yeah that Thunderstruck was awesome. It's so cool to see Axl standing there screaming next to Angus while he does his thing. I never thought we'd see something like that. What a great year this is to be a rock fan! (Catastrophic death toll aside of course.)

15 minutes ago, AlexC said:

This is my fanatical analysis (albeit mostly guesswork off of mobile recordings): Axl didn't have enough time to warm up due to the early start. Got over excited for his first show without the throne and thought he was the shit and absolutely went for it harder than usual (you can hear him going sick on BiB, sicker than usual anyway) so he tired his voice out a bit too early in the show. Plus I think he was a little bit more drunk than usual judging by him swaggering around thinking he's the shit. Also he had a couple of lyrical mistakes (forgot the first "yeah, it's alright" on Thunderstruck. All these factors (which are probably wrong :p) resulted in a less than stellar performance. Axl's greatness is a double edged sword in my opinion. He overperforms to such an unbelievable degree sometimes, that when he doesn't quite reach that level he gets criticized for it.

being on his feet for a full performance also probably made his leg hurt like hell the longer he was on it. hard to do anything well when you're in pain, or at least that's been my experience :shrugs: