05/29/16 - Berne, Switzerland - Stade De Suisse

downzy

On a sidenote, it's pretty unique that for the last 3rd of the show that Angus is using his red SG. I don't remember him using that on the other shows, he only ever uses his black one live now and has done for years, he retired his red one from the road ages ago and only uses it in the studio. He must take it on the road as a back up but this is the first time I've seen him use it (although admittedly I haven't followed the Rock or Bust tour closely until the Axl announcement. It's cool though, his red one is way more iconic.

I just realised, he used it throughout most, if not all of the show.

Edited by AlexC

7 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

zYCymUU.gif

So this happened.

HAHAHA. This is the funniest thing of the entire tour. Axl has a new dance move - the Chuck Berry Duck Walk. Oh my GOD, it's so hilarious. I wonder if he pulled this out of his ass at the last moment and surprised Angus with it, or whether they actually rehearsed this shit.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, God of Thunder said:

Alright my quick review from the show.

1) Setlist:

Rock or Bust

Shoot to Thrill

Hell Ain't a Bad Place to Be

Back in Black

Got Some Rock & Roll Thunder

Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap

Rock 'n' Roll Damnation

Thunderstruck

High Voltage

Rock 'n' Roll Train

Hells Bells

Given the Dog a Bone

If You Want Blood (You've Got It)

Sin City

You Shook Me All Night Long

Shot Down in Flames

Have a Drink on Me

T.N.T.

Whole Lotta Rosie

Let There Be Rock

Encore:
Highway to Hell

Riff Raff

For Those About to Rock (We Salute You)

2) Overall impression:

It rained all day nonstop but the crowd was in a pretty good mood (for Switzerland). The sound was absolutely horrendous though (and much too loud in general) where I was standing (3 meters from the end of the walk in stage); I assume a very bad mix and the acoustics of this square stadium did the job, also Axl`s mic had quite some disturbances (he handled it pretty well). In the first part Axl was much too loud, almost painful. He really gave it all, but for example in Back in Black his voice was much too sharp in the mix and sometimes (not of often) he lost control of his voice when he was really pushing it. In the second part of the show his voice was almost too low in the mix. Generally his voice got better the later the evening and especially the Bon Scott songs were really really good. His voice got really close to that of Bon`s. Riff Raff, Rock n Roll damnation etc. were great. Also songs like "Have a drink on me" or "if you want blood" were pretty good.

The chair was gone for good, Axl was in a good mood, talkative and cracking jokes, dancing and moving all over the stage. His stage presence was immense, he used the walk-in stage much more than Angus. His presence gives AC/DC shows a brand new character because now there is this competition between Angus and Axl. Brian always stood more or less in the back but with Axl it is a whole different story. The walking, moving and dancing all over the stage did not really effect his singing as I had feared earlier. He still seemed to have a little bit of a cold though as he was blowing his nose several times. Both Axl and Angus did a good job, both not concerned about getting wet in the miserable weather.

3) Memorable moments:

Axl introduced himself the band by the words: "Hi, my name is Axl and we are not the Carpenters".

Then he showed some Schadenfreude when Angus had some guitar problems: "Boy, I am really happy that it is not me who is fucking up" and then to pass the time he went on to tell some joke about "3 guys walking in a bar...." he never finished the joke though but concluded " oh man I just chickened out".

His remarks about the miserable weather: "somebody must have misunderstood something....we came here to bring you pain, not the rain."

He seems to get along with Stevie very well as he was on his side frequently trying to make him move a little more, that was rather funny. Also Axl imitated Angus Duck walk several times, I just really hope that this did not have a bad impact on his foot. His movements did not show any special care for his foot. 

It is pretty clear that Angus is the boss though, at one point he wiggled his finger at Axl to make the obligatory guitar run at the song`s end with him together.

4) Third party impression:

I did not hear or see any dissapointed fans; the reactions I heard around were pleased, the tenor was that Axl did a pretty good job. The paper`s reviews for this show have been pretty good:

"1000% Hard Rock in the pouring rain, that was strong AXL/DC" http://www.blick.ch/people-tv/musik/1000-hardreock-im-stroemenden-regen-von-bern-das-war-stark-axl-dc-id5088921.html

"AC/DC excite fans - despite rain and Axl Rose"......"Axl Rose showed as worthy replacement for Brian": http://www.20min.ch/entertainment/musik/story/AC-DC-rocken-in-Bern-25634750 

"AC/DC at the Stade de Suisse: Axl Rose rocks himself into the heart of the fans" http://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/kultur/acdc-im-stade-de-suisse-axl-rose-rockt-sich-ins-herz-der-fans-130307523

"AC/DC at Stade de Suisse: Hard Rock in v 1.0"......"His chainsaw voice lasts. Yes one could say that his pitched high pressured singing catapults the band back a couple of decades to that time when the best of all AC/DC singers -the untamed Bon Scott - had abused his vocal strings for AC/DC.....One could actually say that now songs are rather sung now than croaked" http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/kultur/pop-und-jazz/ACDC-im-Stade-de-Suisse--Hardrock-in-der-Version-10/story/11777628 

Awesome, awesome job man - fantastic review!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, The Archer said:

HAHAHA. This is the funniest thing of the entire tour. Axl has a new dance move the Chuck Berry Duck Walk. Oh my GOD, it's so hilarious. I wonder if he pulled this out of his ass at the last moment and surprised Angus with it, or whether they actually rehearsed this shit.

He was just walking back from the end of the stage and it seems as though he saw Angus do it and thought he'd join in :lol: You gotta love Axl.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

He was just walking back from the end of the stage and it seems as though he saw Angus do it and thought he'd join in :lol: You gotta love Axl.

:lol: I wonder what the hell Angus thinks of all of this, especially if the duckwalk is going to be a staple of Axl's AC/DC performances.

1 hour ago, The Archer said:

:lol: I wonder what the hell Angus thinks of all of this, especially if the duckwalk is going to be a staple of Axl's AC/DC performances.

Best part of waking up...An Axl duck walk gif...on a fucked up foot.  lol guess I better go do something today lol

I could tell the mix in the stadium was messed up based on the videos coming out. There's high pitched sounds coming from the mic, Axl's voice was either too loud or too quiet, the guitar mix was off...sounded like a ton of technical difficulties! I don't think 90's Axl would have taken it