06/09/16 - Manchester, England - Etihad Stadium

downzy

3 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

No doubt, Axl is definitely the better singer between the two and it shows. I think ACDC fans just have an attachment to that gravelly voice Brian had, and obviously his presence so while Axl is blowing him out of the park with his vocals I do feel for the fans that still support Brian, Axl can't replace everything but for the time being Axl is giving them one of the great performances in rock history with his own presence and precise vocals that are without a doubt blowing everyone away

I still think that Brian 'prime' from '80-'83 would have been tough for Axl to beat, or it would have been very close. But to your point, anyone that thinks Axl as he is right now, is clearly not better than Brian from the mid '80s to now, is deluded.

• Like 1

Really, really looking forward to reviews from forum members who attended the gig, but right now it's just amazing to see all the positive comments on the latest video that AC/DC put up on Facebook. There are so many people apologizing or walking back their comments on Axl, after seeing him perform at Manchester. Just fantastic -

Edited by The Archer

32 minutes ago, The Archer said:

:lol: this is sacrilege, but I think that right now, Axl is not just doing Bon better than Brian, he's doing Brian better than Brian.

YSMANL was fantastic, I would say from about Hells Bells onwards he really found his stride. I can't fault anything that I heard last night.

Really excited to hear the first Guns show (even though I won't be going :max:)

Heard loads of positive Axl comments from fans, I think he's really made his mark which was never going to be an easy feat given the circumstances. I heard a few saying they missed Brian (usually with the caveat that Axl was good) but that is understandable I'd be gutted if GNR was fronted by someone else.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AxlsFavoriteRose said:

I don't mind at all! actually back in like '92 I heard a Krokus song on the radio, I wanted to know sang it so I called the station. it was late at night and the DJ and I got to talking and I said I really think this guy sounds like Bon Scott and the DJ agreed. then when I met my husband a few months later ( this was '92 ) he had a Krokus tape. we're both major Bon fans and he said thought Marc Storace sounded like Bon! listening to Storace sing BIB right now...not doing too bad IMO :)

Update: obviously I need to stop trying to multitask, I suck at it :P I did not find the Storace BIB, I was listening to his Highway To Hell. BUT fortuitously in the search for a Storace BIB I found this on an Aussie board and I could not believe it! it is soooooo cute :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ-45XG7n4k

thoughts? :)

What a great find, strange to see 2 singers in a band without instruments. I don't know if Bon played anything, someone might know.

• Like 1

Well, that was an awesome show.

Axl on fire. 

Atmosphere was great, ACDC fans were well and truly impressed by Axl. Totally won over. 

Got home at 2am. At work now with a good hangover! Roll on the GNR tour and get to europe!

• Like 3

When you see Axl live and on form almost all criticisms fired at him seem petty and irrelevant. Last night he wasn't just on form, he was on fire. It was what made me love rock n roll, it was intense, it was primal. It was trancendent.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Axl_morris said:

Amazing show.  Best I've heard him.  Including  2010

Lost my phone at the show.  Gutted. 

Great to meet you yesterday. Sorry about your phone, did you drop it in the pit area?

I lost sight of you and your friends about 4 songs in, you were in front of me for a while then it all got a bit crazy. :lol:

Great gig last night - Axl was on fire.

Sorry to the mygnr people that I didn't manage to meet. It took a ridiculously long amount of time just to find Dazey, due to a lack of signal in the stadium :( 

Looking forward to the next GNR tour if Axl can pull of vocals like that again..

Edited by Aaron_H
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

he gets really low on his vocals on this one, pretty cool. 

he has the more lazy and correct timing spot on here .... the best version my millions of miles.... as it should be done...:)

in my own oppinion..

Edited by night prowler
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, The Archer said:

I still think that Brian 'prime' from '80-'83 would have been tough for Axl to beat, or it would have been very close. But to your point, anyone that thinks Axl as he is right now, is clearly not better than Brian from the mid '80s to now, is deluded.

I'll add an exception - Brian on the TRE tour. Just as Axl's voice is more husky these days than his shrieking wail from Appetite, Brian's husky "Donald Duck" voice from TRE and the tour were him at the height of his powers and range after some serious deterioration by the end of the eighties when he was just plain worn out.

Objectively - Axl sounds a thousand times better at 54 and closer to his prime than Brian did at 54 (Stiff Upper Lip Tour).

• Like 1

I saw AC/DC last year too and I'd say this show was somewhat better (bar my hearing issues unfortunately). Axl too was more entertaining to watch (and of course sounded so much better) than the last time I saw him in 2012.

I don't think he's quite as flawless as you guys are making him out to be. He is as good at screaming as humanly possible but pretty bad at normal singing. I noticed on quite a few songs that follow this low verse - high chorus - high verse - high chorus template that he sounded bad on this first verse but good on the rest of the song and that left you feeling like he did a good job. And he did overall. Only outright sucked on TNT and Sin City (when you sing 'aint got no gun aint got no knife but dont you start no fight' you can't sing it like that! sounds funny in a very bad way). Ranged from good enough to great on everything else with the usual highlights, Thunderstruck, Shoot to thrill etc. 

Also benefits from the fact that the crowd sings along on everything. Of all the acts I've seen none had crowds showing more enthusiasm and energy than ACDC fans. None even comes close. Not a Manchester thing either. I've seen them 3 times now in three different countries and each time the crowd simply blew me away! Manchester was the best of the three though. (Other two are Belgrade and Oslo)

I do worry about the GNR tour though. My guess is he will sound great on a third to half of the songs and pretty weak on the rest. He could take advantage of his current strengths and avoid his current weaknesses by changing the set quite a bit but that's almost certain not to happen.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, GivenToFly said:

I saw AC/DC last year too and I'd say this show was somewhat better (bar my hearing issues unfortunately). Axl too was more entertaining to watch (and of course sounded so much better) than the last time I saw him in 2012.

I don't think he's quite as flawless as you guys are making him out to be. He is as good at screaming as humanly possible but pretty bad at normal singing. I noticed on quite a few songs that follow this low verse - high chorus - high verse - high chorus template that he sounded bad on this first verse but good on the rest of the song and that left you feeling like he did a good job. And he did overall. Only outright sucked on TNT and Sin City (when you sing 'aint got no gun aint got no knife but dont you start no fight' you can't sing it like that! sounds funny in a very bad way). Ranged from good enough to great on everything else with the usual highlights, Thunderstruck, Shoot to thrill etc. 

Also benefits from the fact that the crowd sings along on everything. Of all the acts I've seen none had crowds showing more enthusiasm and energy than ACDC fans. None even comes close. Not a Manchester thing either. I've seen them 3 times now in three different countries and each time the crowd simply blew me away! Manchester was the best of the three though. (Other two are Belgrade and Oslo)

I do worry about the GNR tour though. My guess is he will sound great on a third to half of the songs and pretty weak on the rest. He could take advantage of his current strengths and avoid his current weaknesses by changing the set quite a bit but that's almost certain not to happen.

Curious as to why you think thaif of Sin City? I think he sounds amazing on that one.