Interviews + Media reactions to AXL/DC, good and bad

The Archer

http://teamrock.com/feature/2016-05-09/ac-dc-axl-rose-gunsnroses-dc-lisbon

From those about to rock, we salute you...

Dear Axl,

Apologies for getting in touch on such a public forum, but as you’re presently jet-setting around Europe we weren’t sure of the best way to get hold of you: that time we camped outside your home in LA ended badly for all concerned, and the restraining order also applies to emails, texts, phone calls and even Tinder messaging, apparently, so…

Anyway, it’s fair to say that we haven’t always seen eye-to-eye in the post-Use Your Illusionyears. This isn’t the time to point fingers and apportion blame, but for the record, it was you not us. Those riots, those tantrums, the whole Chinese Democracy debacle, those times children (and indeed grown adults) walked out of your gigs in tears because you were enjoying a second portion of pie three hours after stage-time, that shit is all on you buddy. But in fairness, we’ve been no angels either. The ‘Keith Lemon’ memes, the shooray for tolerance!ing at your corn-rows, the #TeamSlashIzzyDuffSteven hashtags… all very childish and unbecoming. And when we heard the rumours that you were set to replace Beano in AC/DC… well, let’s just say our reaction made the hysterical sweary bit from Get In The Ring sound like Katherine Jenkins singing All Things Bright and Beautiful. But that’s all in the past.

Full disclosure: on Saturday night, as we waited with bated breath to see how your virgin bow with AC/DC might turn out, we felt a little like vultures circling above carrion. We were expecting a car crash, a train wreck, an omnishambolic clusterfuck… and yet another opportunity to put the boot in with the rest of the professionally-indignant/personally-offended, puce-faced culture vigilantes. What we weren’t expecting was for you to turn up on time (well… pretty much), all smiles and sweet talk, and absolutely nail it, like a fucking boss.

We understand that the official reason given for you sitting down onstage at the Passeio Maritimo de Algés on Saturday night was because of a broken metatarsal in your left foot. Get well soon, and all that, if that’s indeed the case. Because from where we were watching, we thought you might need that chair purely because you’re toting around THE BIGGEST BALLS IN ROCK! Who else would have the nerve, the chutzpah, the sheer cojones to face down one of the most fiercely partisan audiences in rock at their most feisty and belligerent and end up charming the entire stadium’s knickers off? The cheeky mention of ‘Portuguese thighs’ inYou Shook Me All Night Long? Nice. That moment where you stopped the “Axl! Axl!” chant and started up an “Angus! Angus!” roar instead? Well played brother, well played. We always knew you could pull off the vocals – no, honestly, we did - but truthfully it’s not often we’ve considered employing the words ‘humility’, ‘class’ and ‘dignity’ when considering your actions onstage, and this weekend we were genuinely impressed. And perhaps even a little embarrassed by our own readiness to shoulder pitchforks with the mob in the past few weeks.

So hey, please consider this an apology Axl. We’re sorry for doubting you. There was us thinking that this was all about ego and pay cheques, when in fact you’ve proven yourself to be rock ‘n’ roll’s own Good Samaritan, thoughtfully guiding a weary OAP across the highway from Hell (if you’ll excuse the clumsy mixed metaphors and misappropriated song title). Fair fucks to you, we didn’t see this coming at all. Good job, man, keep it up. From those about to rock, we salute you.

Your friends,

The (Rock) World and His Wife x

Edited by TheDemocracyRose
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheDemocracyRose said:

Just awesome. Thanks for posting the link. I wonder if Mick Wall had a hand in this - the write-up tries to stick it to Axl in the first part, but for what it's worth the article admits that Axl beat expectations with AC/DC.

Axl Rose: An Apology

Features / 5 hours ago / by TeamRock

From those about to rock, we salute you...

Dear Axl,

Apologies for getting in touch on such a public forum, but as you’re presently jet-setting around Europe we weren’t sure of the best way to get hold of you: that time we camped outside your home in LA ended badly for all concerned, and the restraining order also applies to emails, texts, phone calls and even Tinder messaging, apparently, so…

Anyway, it’s fair to say that we haven’t always seen eye-to-eye in the post-Use Your Illusion years. This isn’t the time to point fingers and apportion blame, but for the record, it was you not us. Those riots, those tantrums, the whole Chinese Democracy debacle, those times children (and indeed grown adults) walked out of your gigs in tears because you were enjoying a second portion of pie three hours after stage-time, that shit is all on you buddy. But in fairness, we’ve been no angels either. The ‘Keith Lemon’ memes, the shooray for tolerance!ing at your corn-rows, the #TeamSlashIzzyDuffSteven hashtags… all very childish and unbecoming. And when we heard the rumours that you were set to replace Beano in AC/DC… well, let’s just say our reaction made the hysterical sweary bit from Get In The Ring sound like Katherine Jenkins singing All Things Bright and Beautiful. But that’s all in the past.

Full disclosure: on Saturday night, as we waited with bated breath to see how your virgin bow with AC/DC might turn out, we felt a little like vultures circling above carrion. We were expecting a car crash, a train wreck, an omnishambolic clusterfuck… and yet another opportunity to put the boot in with the rest of the professionally-indignant/personally-offended, puce-faced culture vigilantes. What we weren’t expecting was for you to turn up on time (well… pretty much), all smiles and sweet talk, and absolutely nail it, like a fucking boss.

We understand that the official reason given for you sitting down onstage at the Passeio Maritimo de Algés on Saturday night was because of a broken metatarsal in your left foot. Get well soon, and all that, if that’s indeed the case. Because from where we were watching, we thought you might need that chair purely because you’re toting around THE BIGGEST BALLS IN ROCK! Who else would have the nerve, the chutzpah, the sheer cojones to face down one of the most fiercely partisan audiences in rock at their most feisty and belligerent and end up charming the entire stadium’s knickers off? The cheeky mention of ‘Portuguese thighs’ in You Shook Me All Night Long? Nice. That moment where you stopped the “Axl! Axl!” chant and started up an “Angus! Angus!” roar instead? Well played brother, well played. We always knew you could pull off the vocals – no, honestly, we did - but truthfully it’s not often we’ve considered employing the words ‘humility’, ‘class’ and ‘dignity’ when considering your actions onstage, and this weekend we were genuinely impressed. And perhaps even a little embarrassed by our own readiness to shoulder pitchforks with the mob in the past few weeks.

So hey, please consider this an apology Axl. We’re sorry for doubting you. There was us thinking that this was all about ego and pay cheques, when in fact you’ve proven yourself to be rock ‘n’ roll’s own Good Samaritan, thoughtfully guiding a weary OAP across the highway from Hell (if you’ll excuse the clumsy mixed metaphors and misappropriated song title). Fair fucks to you, we didn’t see this coming at all. Good job, man, keep it up. From those about to rock, we salute you.

Your friends,

The (Rock) World and His Wife x

Edited by The Archer

Adding the pre-tour interviews here so that they are in one place - both with the BBC interview and the video interviews with the band here:

Axl, Angus and Cliff on BBC 6

Angus & Cliff on Brian, Axl pays tribute #RockOrBust

Axl on his love for AC/DC and coming onboard for the Rock Or Bust European tour. #RockOrBust

Angus, Cliff and Axl on the magic of an AC/DC audience - 

AC/DC's alchemy on stage -

Choosing the setlist -

It's funny how the media can decide how much people like you. In the 90's gnr made the media sign waivers that nothing gets published about them without their permission. And if they don't agree to these terms then they will get no access to the band...they turned that into an Axl thing and helped cement his reputation as the worst person on earth. 

Now with ACDC Axl doesn't have a choice and the media was invited in to see this spectacle....next day Axl is a hero and is triumphant in his debut! Which he was but its funny how history is written by the media now. 

• Like 1

COREY TAYLOR: 'Who Are We To Decide When It's Time For AC/DC To Be Done?'
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/corey-taylor-who-are-we-to-decide-when-its-time-for-acdc-to-be-done/#LvJyULi3X2RAfR7d.99

SLIPKNOT and STONE SOUR frontman Corey Taylor has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" for all remaining shows this year, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

During the question-and-answer portion of his May 8 solo show at Koko in London, England, Taylor was asked to give his opinion on the Rose-AC/DC pairing. He responded (see video below): "That's an interesting question. You're not the only one to ask me that."

He continued: "There are several ways to look at that situation. There are AC/DC fans who are, like, 'You know what? I just wanna see them play for, like, the last eight, nine shows and then see what happens.' There are other people who are, like, 'Fuck that! I don't like the way they handled the whole Brian situation,' which I can totally see. However, none of us are behind the scenes. None of us know what's been going on. None of us know anything. And I learned that lesson with the GUNS N' ROSES thing. I mean, I'm talking about… I'm a huge GUNS N' ROSES fan. So when [the classic GN'R lineup] started to kind of come back together, I was, like, 'Meh.' But then, talking to some of them, I really saw the whole picture and was, like, 'Okay, I can get behind this.'"

Taylor went on to say: "So I don't know enough about what is going on behind the scenes [in the AC/DC camp]. I can certainly appreciate the fact that Angus [Young, AC/DC guitarist] wants to finish those shows. 'Cause here's the thing you've gotta understand: he's been doing gigs since he was 17 years old. He has been giving everything — and I mean everything he's fucking got — night after night after night after night for fucking fifty years.

"Who are we, who are we to decide when it's time for AC/DC to be done or not? Am I fucking right, or am I fucking right?"

Corey added: "Is it gonna be the same? No! Nothing's ever the same. I don't think it was the same after fucking Phil [Rudd, former AC/DC drummer] left. So it's never gonna be the same. You know what I'm saying?

"For me… The biggest bumout for me is that Malcolm [Young, retired co-founding AC/DC guitarist] won't be a part of those shows; that's the saddest part of that. I mean, I feel bad for Brian, as a singer, but the saddest part of that is that Malcolm won't be a part of those last eight shows, and he fucking should be. That man has written every fucking song they did. So that's me. That's me. I can go either way with it, but because I don't know a lot about it, I'm not gonna make any judgments."

According to a Billboard.com source, Rose initially met with AC/DC members in Miami and Atlanta back in March. It was then that the decision was made to have Rose join AC/DC on tour. There was also talk of having other singers alternate with Rose, including ex-SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach and Nic Cester of the Australian band JET.

Rose made his live debut with AC/DC on Saturday night (May 7) in Lisbon, Portugal, and by all accounts delivered a triumphant vocal performance as fill-in for Johnson even if he was still confined to a chair onstage due to the broken foot he suffered during a GUNS show last month.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/corey-taylor-who-are-we-to-decide-when-its-time-for-acdc-to-be-done/#LvJyULi3X2RAfR7d.99

6 hours ago, The Archer said:

COREY TAYLOR: 'Who Are We To Decide When It's Time For AC/DC To Be Done?'

SLIPKNOT and STONE SOUR frontman Corey Taylor has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" for all remaining shows this year, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

During the question-and-answer portion of his May 8 solo show at Koko in London, England, Taylor was asked to give his opinion on the Rose-AC/DC pairing. He responded (see video below): "That's an interesting question. You're not the only one to ask me that."

He continued: "There are several ways to look at that situation. There are AC/DC fans who are, like, 'You know what? I just wanna see them play for, like, the last eight, nine shows and then see what happens.' There are other people who are, like, 'Fuck that! I don't like the way they handled the whole Brian situation,' which I can totally see. However, none of us are behind the scenes. None of us know what's been going on. None of us know anything. And I learned that lesson with the GUNS N' ROSES thing. I mean, I'm talking about… I'm a huge GUNS N' ROSES fan. So when [the classic GN'R lineup] started to kind of come back together, I was, like, 'Meh.' But then, talking to some of them, I really saw the whole picture and was, like, 'Okay, I can get behind this.'"

This part was interesting: he's probably talking about not being the original AFD lineup, and got satisfying answer.

6 hours ago, nn18 said:

This part was interesting: he's probably talking about not being the original AFD lineup, and got satisfying answer.

You might be right! Although my first impression was that he might have originally thought that they're only reuniting because of money. But then when he talked to some of them he understood that it's not just a cash grab tour, but GNR actually have big plans for the future and they're all very motivated.

I think Angus will want Axl to join DC full time. There's another decade of rocking to be done. 

Obviously Axl probably should try and make a record with Slash and Duff. But if that seems fruitless why not go with Angus? 

4 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

You might be right! Although my first impression was that he might have originally thought that they're only reuniting because of money. But then when he talked to some of them he understood that it's not just a cash grab tour, but GNR actually have big plans for the future and they're all very motivated.

Hahahahaha, that did not even cross my mind :D

Wasn't Corey the one who said that if AFD lineup or original 4+Matt reunited he would retire and follow them wherever they play?

This breaks my heart. What about Guns N' Roses? I love that hes filling in for Brian but in NO WAY, do I want him to do it full time. He needs to make 3-4 good albums with Guns. It's where he belongs.

Edited by iftheworld

2 hours ago, wasted said:

I think Angus will want Axl to join DC full time. There's another decade of rocking to be done. 

I think it's always been clear, but never more so than now, that 'rocking' for it's own sake is important to Angus and the very idea of AC/DC. There are NO bands anywhere who have as successful a catalogue that is FULL of tributes to Rock, Rockers, and Rocking. It isn't a coincidence that these guys really believe in this lifestyle. Angus is 61 and he's still talking about what it feels like to be Rocking when he was 16. Regardless of what fans want, it seems clear that this is what life is all about to him. He's not going to hang up his hat and retire just because people want him to. Having a younger (but not too much younger) singer like Axl who can help him fulfill his drive to Rock and determination to continue the AC/DC legacy is probably just what he needs.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 2:15 PM, The Archer said:

Post media reactions to AXL/DC and interviews here

Trunk's take on AXL/DC

http://eddietrunk.com/417-axl-joins-acdc-my-take/

NEWS

4/17: AXL JOINS AC/DC, MY TAKE.

April 17, 2016

Posted by Eddie Category: TRUNK REPORT

Well now the news is official about Axl’s involvement in AC/DC, at least to fill in for these remaining shows. If you heard my podcast this is what Axl and I discussed at the Vegas show last weekend and he asked me not to speak about until it was officially out. Needless to say for Axl this is a moment for him to play with his heroes. He told me how excited he was to have the chance to do this and said he would do an interview with me about it if I didn’t say anything until official word comes out. So hopefully that is coming! You also no doubt know Angus jammed with GnR last night at Coachella to make it official. The clips on YouTube sounded cool and clearly vocally Axl can handle the gig. But there are way more questions than that. The release from AC/DC made it pretty clear they are done with Brian Johnson. What really happened with Brian is anyone’s guess. But nobody is buying the hearing thing that I know. My sources tell me Brian was slowing down and didn’t want to work as hard as Angus (who is younger) did. I also know that on the latest tour Brian only wanted to do 2-3 shows max a week. Something that is expensive for a band when off that much on the road (Aerosmith has to do this with Tyler). It comes with age and guys slowing. I suspect it reached a breaking point and that was that. I can not believe it was a sudden hearing issue. Maybe it played a small role, but no way is it the real story in full. I can’t believe after 36 years AC/DC would say goodbye to their singer and not find a work around. MANY have hearing issues and find a way to make it work in rock. And until Brian speaks, we will never know. Brian is a total class act. So very possible he takes the high road here. But it still blows me away how so many fans are not demanding a real answer on Brian and are so quick to move on.

But none of this has anything to do with Axl who will be a kid in a candy store! What a story for him. He has Guns back to mega stadium level, and is joining a band of heroes about to do stadiums in Europe! Hopefully his leg is mended so he can move some. Also note the remaining AC/DC dates all already fall in a window GnR was off. So this doesn’t impact them at all. AC/DC needed a massive name to keep people from returning these already sold tickets for the remaining dates. They certainly got that with Axl. But that doesn’t answer their long term issue of a singer IF they want to go on beyond this. I doubt Axl can do both gigs full time? If this is a victory lap for AC/DC then cool. Finish up and say goodbye. If they want to go for another 10 years, and that may have been they very issue with Brian, then they need a new younger singer they can build with. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Axl/DC leans a bit more on Bon era material since that really fits him slightly more. Will this work? Will they mesh personality wise? Axl will have to go on at a normal time. Does that work? I think Axl will do everything to kick ass in this gig. It is a major dream for him. He knows he’s having a fun fling here and that while Guns is very much his band, AC/DC is just filling in and doing something he never believed as a kid he would do. It will be another very interesting chapter to watch for sure!

I will take calls on this tomorrow on my SiriusXM show live 6-10P ET on channel 39. I will also have Bret Michaels on at 7P ET with an exclusive announcement on a major event in S CA, and Rudy from Scorpions on live at 8P ET. See you tomorrow for TRUNKNation.

will be looking forward to hearing Axl's interview w/Trunk. never suspected it was anything more than straightforward about the reason why AC/DC were going forward w/out Brian Johnson. very intriguing...

2 hours ago, wasted said:

Obviously Axl probably should try and make a record with Slash and Duff. But if that seems fruitless why not go with Angus? 

so torn about this! Axl IS GN'R and i don't want to live in a world without GN'R. also still wanting to see a full reunion w/Izzy and Steven included. Axl is obviously in heaven w/Axl/DC at the moment but who knows how he'll feel after a full tour with GN'R HIS baby?? guess we'll have to wait and see and looks for clues in interviews like the one w/Trunk that is supposed to be coming :question:

30 minutes ago, iftheworld said:

This breaks my heart. What about Guns N' Roses? I love that hes filling in for Brian but in NO WAY, do I want him to do it full time. He needs to make 3-4 good albums with Guns. It's where he belongs.

what I want is ALL OF IT! which I guess is impossible...or is it?? the way Axl has come storming back in such a BIG way and the incredible way his voice is sounding maybe he has become....SUPER AXL!!! :P

• Like 2

20 hours ago, The Archer said:

Thanks to @danijel00 for finding this. Rock or Bust pro-shot and fan interviews on Spanish TV -

20 hours ago, The Archer said:

Thanks to @danijel00 for finding this. Rock or Bust pro-shot and fan interviews on Spanish TV -

Edited by AxlsFavoriteRose