Interviews + Media reactions to AXL/DC, good and bad

The Archer

8 minutes ago, The Archer said:

There seems to have been a lull in actual reviews for the shows lately, with most news articles just recycling information from the early, positive reviews. I guess we might have to wait till the UK shows to see some real reviews now.

I did come across this one article from the Sydney Morning Herald again that I had seen before. It was published before this thread was started.  At the time, there was plenty of harsh criticism about the Axl/DC pairing. But, even then, this one stood out for how vicious its sentiment was against Axl in particular and against GN'R too. Some of it is understandable of course, considering that AC/DC is viewed as some kind of national treasure in Australia. But, even with how good the Axl/DC combo has been or how much positive press it has got, this is one author who likely isn't changing his mind at any time. While this has probably been seen already by many, but it's worth adding to the thread, just for the record as well for being a reminder of the extent of skepticism there was about Axl being a fit for AC/DC.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/acdc-paired-with-axl-rose-a-tragic-insult-20160418-go8jj8.html#ixzz48splp6pm

AC/DC paired with Axl Rose a tragic insult

April 17, 2016

Bernard Zuel

Senior music writer

Your mother was right, as usual. It's all fun and games, until someone's reputation gets taken out.

And for a veteran band, once you've lost your reputation – in this case for a kind of dignity – there's no real going back. There's only various stages of ridicule. Just ask INXS. Or Chantoozies.

When the rumour began that AC/DC, having lost their third frontman in 45 years – this time not to death or disunity, but to damage – were thinking of carrying on, it seemed a little funny and a little sad, but not really credible.

Founding member and main songwriter Malcolm Young had been lost a year earlier to dementia, and long-serving drummer Phil Rudd was being kept at home by the New Zealand constabulary, and that seemed a good time to end.

But Malcolm's brother, Angus, and long-time singer, Brian Johnson, were still at the core of the band, there was one last album and maybe those rhythm guitar parts and four-square riffs of Malcolm's could be repeated, on stage at least, in this case by his nephew. It felt a little wrong, but there was such a core of affection for the group that few were likely to begrudge them that last gesture.

But when Johnson was told by his doctors to quit or go deaf, ending his 36 years as the "new" singer who had replaced the iconic Bon Scott and helped turn the band into one of the behemoths of rock, everyone expected – everyone knew – this meant AC/DC had reached a natural end.

Then the stories appeared that maybe a stand-in singer would help finish the tour. Contractual obligation? Surely not. An inability to say enough is enough? Maybe, but even if that were so, who could they draft who wouldn't be a weak alternative or a feeble joke?

Go the INXS route with one-time-singers-for-hire Terence Trent D'Arby or Jon Stevens? Stevens, after all, could complete his set of signature Australian bands as a stand-in with this and Powderfinger. And maybe Chantoozies.

John Farnham? Well it sorta worked with Little River Band. Even Dave Evans, who has made a semi-living out of being the bloke no one remembers being the frontman in AC/DC before Scott, but will talk to you endlessly about the band he hasn't known for 40 years, popped up, inevitably, to offer his services. OK, that was actually laughable, especially the people who took his calls and wrote up his offer.

That Axl Rose, of Guns N' Roses, came out of nowhere as an option interested the more excitable in the world of "celebrity journalism", but no one who took this business seriously thought AC/DC would sink that low. The guy had destroyed his own band of reprobates, had become a byword for unfulfilled promises, bad clothing choices and far worse use of a bandanna than Peter FitzSimons. No way would they do that.

Well, weren't we idiots? No way? Yes way.

Now that AC/DC – who coolly brushed aside Johnson's near-four decades with a thank-you for "his contribution and dedication to the band" – have said Rose "has kindly offered his support to help us fulfil this commitment" on their current tour, there is no going back. And that is a tragedy.

Of course, that's over the top: a tragedy. It's a bunch of guys plugging in and playing loud. So what?

Well, firstly AC/DC aren't just a band. They're an investment of dedication and idealism for themselves and two or three generations of fans, representing a series of standards, good and bad.

They do things simply. They do things repetitively. They do things the same way they've always done them and they do it without fuss. They respect each other and they respect the fans. They haven't written a different song in nearly 40 years and I long ago grew tired of hearing them, but they never wavered from what they set themselves to do.

None of those things have ever been associated with Axl Rose. Whatever you think of Guns N' Roses – and I think they were, and will be again, a severely limited bit of rock's afterthoughts with, at best, five good songs and several of those "good" because they're almost comically cliched – you would never confuse their standards and their performance with AC/DC.

It says something to your fans when the person you choose to stand in is, in many ways, anathema to what you say you believe in and what your fans have come to believe in.

And that's the other reason why this wrong-headed decision is a "tragedy". Because they won't just remodel a band, they will remake what it stands for.

AC/DC with  Axl Rose is comic without a laugh, stupid without the clarity of simplicity, and crass without even a single entendre. If this is to be their last gesture, the last memory many thousands will have of them, it will be one long insult.

"None of those things have ever been associated with Axl Rose. Whatever you think of Guns N' Roses – and I think they were, and will be again, a severely limited bit of rock's afterthoughts with, at best, five good songs and several of those "good" because they're almost comically cliched – you would never confuse their standards and their performance with AC/DC."

this paragraph is by far the stupidest thing ever written in the history of man. 

• Like 3

Looks like Axl is fitting in nicely and that the chair is indeed going to disappear soon.

http://www.alternativenation.net/major-update-ac-dc-axl-rose/

Major Update On AC/DC’s Future With Axl Rose, Will Band Retire At End Of Tour?

By Brett Buchanan -

May 17, 2016

AC/DC drummer Chris Slade recently talked to fans on Facebook about Brian Johnson’s exit from the band, and if the band plan to continue past the conclusion of the ‘Rock or Bust’ tour. Axl Rose has already stated that he has interest in continuing to front AC/DC if the band will have him.

When a fan sad it is ‘sad’ that Johnson can no longer play with the band, Slade agreed. “Yes it is, we all miss him.”

When a fan criticized AC/DC for finishing the tour without Johnson, Slade said Johnson simply couldn’t do it. “You are forgetting that Brian cannot do this, his health problems will not allow it.”

He also said AC/DC will continue beyond this tour, the first definitive news on AC/DC’s future without Brian Johnson. “Angus is definitely NOT thinking of retiring.”

He also discussed looking forward to Axl Rose being able to perform without his throne. “We all lòok forward to Axl not requiring the chair anymore. Shouldn’t be too long now.”

“It is a once in a lifetime opportunity to see the band in this form. Of course, everyone would like it to be Brian up there but unfortunately, due to his health problems, this is not possible. Axl is doing a wonderful job and the majority opinion now is that the band were right to finish the Rock or Bust tour with him. Fans have the opportunity to go to the shows or not, it is entirely their choice or indeed their loss”

Angus Young’s nephew Ross Malcolm Young also recently posted on Facebook, “People who say AC/DC died they’re more alive than you think.”

He also demanded someone mocking Rose should show him respect, “You need to give Axl respect.”

4 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

"None of those things have ever been associated with Axl Rose. Whatever you think of Guns N' Roses – and I think they were, and will be again, a severely limited bit of rock's afterthoughts with, at best, five good songs and several of those "good" because they're almost comically cliched – you would never confuse their standards and their performance with AC/DC."

this paragraph is by far the stupidest thing ever written in the history of man. 

A fan of a band with a setlist completely compiled of songs with the words "rock" or "hell" in the title has spoken about cliche rock songs. 

• Like 4

http://www.laweekly.com/music/10-other-bands-axl-rose-should-sing-for-6945449

He’s singing like that snakeskin-wearing, 25-year-old badass again. The guy who first welcomed us all to the jungle back in 1987. Even the haters are copping to the fact that Axl Rose is completely crushing his new gig touring as frontman for Aussie hard rockers AC/DC.

"Getting the chance to sing with some of his heroes on a regular basis, Rose seems to be reconnecting with what made him want to be a rock singer in the first place. In front of our very eyes. And, oh yeah, by most accounts GNR reunion shows thus far have pretty much ranged from damn good to magical."

Good article just kind of a fun read really. 

• Like 2

This guy doesn't think Axl is 'Outlaw' enough :lol:. Wtf?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/max-cavalera-doesnt-think-axl-rose-fits-acdc/

MAX CAVALERA Doesn't Think AXL ROSE Fits AC/DC

Former SEPULTURA and current SOULFLY frontman Max Cavalera has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" for all remaining shows this year, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

Asked by Metal Wani's William Richards for his opinion about the Axl-AC/DC pairing, Max said: "I don't know… It sucks, I think. I like AC/DC, man. They always were outlaws back in Australia. We used to watch 'Let There Be Rock', the movie, as kids in Brazil, and I remember [seeing an] AC/DC album [where they] had jail tattoos and shit. Bon Scott was badass, Brian Johnson was badass. But I don't think Axl really fits AC/DC. AC/DC is more, like, yeah, outlaws, and I don't think Axl is too much of an outlaw to fit in. But I don't know… It's not my band. I don't call the shots."

According to a Billboard.com source, Rose initially met with AC/DC members in Miami and Atlanta back in March. It was then that the decision was made to have Rose join AC/DC on tour. There was also talk of having other singers alternate with Rose, including ex-SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach and Nic Cester of the Australian band JET.

Rose made his live debut with AC/DC on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal, and by all accounts delivered a triumphant vocal performance as fill-in for Johnson even if he was still confined to a chair onstage due to the broken foot he suffered during a GUNS show last month.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/max-cavalera-doesnt-think-axl-rose-fits-acdc/#Ic5TGTqAk6cf8gOe.99

5 hours ago, The Archer said:

This guy doesn't think Axl is 'Outlaw' enough :lol:. Wtf?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/max-cavalera-doesnt-think-axl-rose-fits-acdc/

MAX CAVALERA Doesn't Think AXL ROSE Fits AC/DC

Former SEPULTURA and current SOULFLY frontman Max Cavalera has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" for all remaining shows this year, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

Asked by Metal Wani's William Richards for his opinion about the Axl-AC/DC pairing, Max said: "I don't know… It sucks, I think. I like AC/DC, man. They always were outlaws back in Australia. We used to watch 'Let There Be Rock', the movie, as kids in Brazil, and I remember [seeing an] AC/DC album [where they] had jail tattoos and shit. Bon Scott was badass, Brian Johnson was badass. But I don't think Axl really fits AC/DC. AC/DC is more, like, yeah, outlaws, and I don't think Axl is too much of an outlaw to fit in. But I don't know… It's not my band. I don't call the shots."

According to a Billboard.com source, Rose initially met with AC/DC members in Miami and Atlanta back in March. It was then that the decision was made to have Rose join AC/DC on tour. There was also talk of having other singers alternate with Rose, including ex-SKID ROW frontman Sebastian Bach and Nic Cester of the Australian band JET.

Rose made his live debut with AC/DC on May 7 in Lisbon, Portugal, and by all accounts delivered a triumphant vocal performance as fill-in for Johnson even if he was still confined to a chair onstage due to the broken foot he suffered during a GUNS show last month.

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/max-cavalera-doesnt-think-axl-rose-fits-acdc/#Ic5TGTqAk6cf8gOe.99

Stupid quotes from this guy. It seems like blabbermouth asks everyone about the AC/DC situation. Again I'm a huge AC/DC fan, but come on...they haven't lived in Australia since the 70s, other than Bon none of them have "prison tattoos", and their image hasn't been "outlaw" for quite some time. Now excuse me while I settle down for the night with a bottle of AC/DC wine and play some AC/DCopoly with my family. (Yes, those both exist and I may or may not own both). 

• Like 1

And Blabbermouth continues the series, this time with Simon Wright...overall, he's more or less positive about Axl fronting AC/DC. 

Ex-AC/DC Drummer SIMON WRIGHT Says AXL ROSE 'Seems To Be Doing Okay' Singing For The Band
Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-acdc-drummer-simon-wright-says-axl-rose-seems-to-be-doing-okay-singing-for-the-band/#Gm5XW6TLh9tfe3T2.99

Former AC/DC drummer Simon Wright has weighed in on the strange situation regarding AC/DC and singer Brian Johnson. The legendary Australian rock band postponed the last ten dates of its recent North American tour after doctors told Johnson he faced "total hearing loss." AC/DC has since announced that it will use GUNS N' ROSES singer Axl Rose as a "guest vocalist" for all remaining shows this year, with Johnson apparently not returning to the band at all.

Asked how he feels about the fact that Brian appears to be out of AC/DC, Simon told Argentinean rock journalist Lucas H. Gordon at this past Sunday's (May 22) "Ride For Ronnie" motorcycle rally and concert in Encino, California (see video below): "It was a little weird and strange how the news came out. For a moment, it seemed like [Brian had] been fired, and that seemed, to me, to be the strangest thing ever, if he'd been fired, but it wasn't true. So he's had a problem with his hearing."

He continued: "I'm just shocked. But it's like Brian said, we all get older, we get injuries and stuff and everything. Like he said, I'm just glad for him that he's not really, really badly injured and that he's doing okay and I wish him the best of luck. And Axl seems to be doing… I saw a couple of [clips online and] Axl seems to be doing okay. It seemed really weird at first, but when you watch it, he's giving it his all and he seems to have a big respect for the band and the fans and everything. So it seems to be going along…"

Wright added: "I don't know what they'll do after this run of dates — I don't really know — but I wish 'em all the luck in the world."

Read more at http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ex-acdc-drummer-simon-wright-says-axl-rose-seems-to-be-doing-okay-singing-for-the-band/#Gm5XW6TLh9tfe3T2.99

19 minutes ago, Lichqueen said:

ANGUS: "Axl keeps saying he wants to do more..." :wub:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

ANGUS YOUNG: AXL ROSE 'Has Done A Great Job' Singing For AC/DC

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/angus-young-axl-rose-has-done-a-great-job-singing-for-acdc/  

"Brian is happy that Axl is there."  

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/angus_young_why_i_refuse_to_end_acdc.html

Edited by pablo mercuryrose
  • Like 2

From house speaker Paul Ryan:

(Among the most animated moments of our conversation: When I mention my annoyance at the installation of screechy Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose as a raspy-voiced Brian Johnson’s replacement in AC/DC. “Has he put gravel in his voice?” Ryan asks about Rose. “If he smoked a couple of packs a day for the last 10 years, maybe he’d be better.”)

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/off-message-paul-ryan-trump-could-win-223458

2 hours ago, Funky.Monkey said:

From house speaker Paul Ryan:

(Among the most animated moments of our conversation: When I mention my annoyance at the installation of screechy Guns N’ Roses singer Axl Rose as a raspy-voiced Brian Johnson’s replacement in AC/DC. “Has he put gravel in his voice?” Ryan asks about Rose. “If he smoked a couple of packs a day for the last 10 years, maybe he’d be better.”)

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/off-message-paul-ryan-trump-could-win-223458

Glenn Thrush is an idiot.

1 hour ago, MillionsOfSpiders said:

I went back and paid (ouch) for kerrang as I've decided to keep it as part of history :)

Great job :thumbsup:. Nice of you to help all the other AXL/DC fans on the forum by posting it here. Thanks to you we can all read it. 

Edit: One of the most positive reviews so far. It just shows however, that there'll be some pressure to hit the same level of performance as the first shows on the UK leg of the tour. I hope that Axl has been holding something back and has some gas in the tank for the English language press. That'll be what's relayed to America and read by most of the rest of the world.

Edited by The Archer

14 minutes ago, The Archer said:

Great job :thumbsup:. Nice of you to help all the other AXL/DC fans on the forum by posting it here. Thanks to you we can all read it. 

Edit: One of the most positive reviews so far. It just shows however, that there'll be some pressure to hit the same level of performance as the first shows on the UK leg of the tour. I hope that Axl has been holding something back and has some gas in the tank for the English language press. That'll be what's relayed to America and read by most of the rest of the world.

That was the very first thing I took from it too....the see you in the UK part. You just know, London especially, is going to be pivotal as far as reviews go. It's nice to read something positive in kerrang though, they have been so anti Axl for a long time now. 

Im sure Axl is 100% aware of how the press works here though. They cannot wait to rip you back down. 

and you're very welcome....ill try and collect some from next week and post them up :) 

• Like 1

Nice to see them 

26 minutes ago, supercool said:

very negative article in french (swiss newspaper) : http://www.24heures.ch/culture/musique/acdc-rose-honte/story/10567583

What a stupid interview - I read it on google translate, but the guy who wrote it clearly brought in a lot of pre-existing biases about axl - calling him a rednecked egomaniac and referencing One in a million. 

17 hours ago, Silent Jay said:

This was great. Nice to see them credit Axl with mixing up the set list. It looks like they are going to go full blast in London.

• Like 2