The Archer

Post media reactions to AXL/DC and interviews here

Trunk's take on AXL/DC

http://eddietrunk.com/417-axl-joins-acdc-my-take/

NEWS

4/17: AXL JOINS AC/DC, MY TAKE.

April 17, 2016

Posted by Eddie Category: TRUNK REPORT

Well now the news is official about Axl’s involvement in AC/DC, at least to fill in for these remaining shows. If you heard my podcast this is what Axl and I discussed at the Vegas show last weekend and he asked me not to speak about until it was officially out. Needless to say for Axl this is a moment for him to play with his heroes. He told me how excited he was to have the chance to do this and said he would do an interview with me about it if I didn’t say anything until official word comes out. So hopefully that is coming! You also no doubt know Angus jammed with GnR last night at Coachella to make it official. The clips on YouTube sounded cool and clearly vocally Axl can handle the gig. But there are way more questions than that. The release from AC/DC made it pretty clear they are done with Brian Johnson. What really happened with Brian is anyone’s guess. But nobody is buying the hearing thing that I know. My sources tell me Brian was slowing down and didn’t want to work as hard as Angus (who is younger) did. I also know that on the latest tour Brian only wanted to do 2-3 shows max a week. Something that is expensive for a band when off that much on the road (Aerosmith has to do this with Tyler). It comes with age and guys slowing. I suspect it reached a breaking point and that was that. I can not believe it was a sudden hearing issue. Maybe it played a small role, but no way is it the real story in full. I can’t believe after 36 years AC/DC would say goodbye to their singer and not find a work around. MANY have hearing issues and find a way to make it work in rock. And until Brian speaks, we will never know. Brian is a total class act. So very possible he takes the high road here. But it still blows me away how so many fans are not demanding a real answer on Brian and are so quick to move on.

But none of this has anything to do with Axl who will be a kid in a candy store! What a story for him. He has Guns back to mega stadium level, and is joining a band of heroes about to do stadiums in Europe! Hopefully his leg is mended so he can move some. Also note the remaining AC/DC dates all already fall in a window GnR was off. So this doesn’t impact them at all. AC/DC needed a massive name to keep people from returning these already sold tickets for the remaining dates. They certainly got that with Axl. But that doesn’t answer their long term issue of a singer IF they want to go on beyond this. I doubt Axl can do both gigs full time? If this is a victory lap for AC/DC then cool. Finish up and say goodbye. If they want to go for another 10 years, and that may have been they very issue with Brian, then they need a new younger singer they can build with. I also wouldn’t be shocked if Axl/DC leans a bit more on Bon era material since that really fits him slightly more. Will this work? Will they mesh personality wise? Axl will have to go on at a normal time. Does that work? I think Axl will do everything to kick ass in this gig. It is a major dream for him. He knows he’s having a fun fling here and that while Guns is very much his band, AC/DC is just filling in and doing something he never believed as a kid he would do. It will be another very interesting chapter to watch for sure!

I will take calls on this tomorrow on my SiriusXM show live 6-10P ET on channel 39. I will also have Bret Michaels on at 7P ET with an exclusive announcement on a major event in S CA, and Rudy from Scorpions on live at 8P ET. See you tomorrow for TRUNKNation.

Edited by The Archer
  • Like 1

http://www.newrocktimes.com/news/2016/4/18/axldc-is-the-perfect-fit-with-rose-uniting-the-two-biggest-rock-bands-in-a-generation

“When you got an dream and you really believe in it, doesn't have to be an Rock n` Roll dream ... it can be an nuclear business man.
“I don't give a shit but when your teachers and your parents are saying 'Oh, come on now, lets be reasonable,' just tell them to fuck off!!”
A quote once uttered by Axl Rose which is now suitably apt after the enigmatic frontman was named as the new singer for AC/DC for their forthcoming European run of shows, and 10 US shows to be rescheduled later in the year.
Axl/DC is now a thing and for me it will be an event, a chapter in rock n' roll history which will unite two of our greatest ever hard rock bands.
Returning to the quote which opens this piece, and there is no doubt that this is very much a rock n' roll dream. I think it's fair to assume this is one dream Axl himself doubted would ever come true.
Axl Rose, the most hypnotic, enigmatic and polarising forntman in a generation will be spinning two of music's biggest plates this summer as he returns to stadiums with his rejigged Guns n' Roses line-up while also fronting AC/DC.
His love for AC/DC has always been public knowledge. Early live shows and demos featured foot-stomping, door kicking cover versions of 'Whole Lotta Rosie,' with which he effortlessly captures the sneering snarl of the original.
He has since demonstrated he has lost none of his range with a pair of AC/DC tracks at the weekend's Coachella Festival when, joined by Angus Young himself, he ripped through 'Riff Raff' and had another go at 'Rosie.'
Notoriously wary and reluctant to talk to the press, we await Axl's own thoughts on being handed the baton for such a monumental occasion but Eddie Trunk has blogged that speaking to Rose during Guns' recent dates in Las Vegas he was 'like a kid in a candy store.'
The stars have all lined up for Rose with GNR's summer stadium shows kicking off at the end of AC/DC's European cycle which mean the two tours fit seamlessly together with no overlap or conflict.
The appointment has had a mixed reaction but then Axl has always been a Marmite character. For many, like me, he is the greatest rock n' roll frontman of all time. The kind of frontman you can't take your eyes off. 
During a show, Rose performs as if his shirt is straining at the seams as his heart is pounding in his chest.
Snake dancing across the stage, swinging the mic stand, a figure of genuine unpredictability, burning passion who penned some of rock music's most iconic tracks. The soundtrack of a generation sung by the frontman of a generation.
But on the other side of the coin there are those who don't just not like him but can't stand him.
His infamous tendency to start shows late count against him for them.
But who else would rock fans, and AC/DC fans particularly like to see take over from Brian Johnson?
It is unclear what really went down with Johnson. Initial reports suggested hearing issues meant he had to take a back seat from the band. Doubt was cast on these by several allies of the veteran frontman who was reportedly hurt and felt like he had been forced out of the band.
Now it has been suggested by industry insiders that Johnson had told the band of his desire to 'slow down' and stated a preference for two or three shows a week.
For a band the size of AC/DC to be on tour and not performing that much is hugely expensive and with Angus being younger than Brian, he is said to be determined to keep the band motoring on and aims for at least one more world tour and album.
Back to the question of who else could carry the AC/DC mantle and if there is a list it can't be a big one.
AC/DC could have brought in a frontman from a multitude of AC/DC tribute bands who could have belted out a carbon copy of Brian, or even Bon Scott effortlessly.
But what would that do to ticket sales? 
If you had bought briefs for one of the European dates with a tribute man on the mic you'd be lying if you didn't think twice about returning your ticket and cashing out. Even if the public pleas made by people like The Hives frontman Howlin' Pelle Almqvist had earned him the gig, would that whet the appetite?
Going to see AC/DC without Malcolm Young, Phil Rudd or Brian Johnson isn't the most appetising of proposals.
But chuck Axl Rose into that mix instead and you have the recipe for a once-in-a-lifetime event. A tour to go down in the ages.
Yes in the past Axl has been late. But on each and every occasion he has played on into the wee small hours of the night for shows which both exceed the length of rock shows of rival bands by up to 90-minutes!
Any fan going to a Guns N' Roses show can't be sure when the gig will start but they can be sure as hell they'll get their moneys worth and they will get a performance that will live long in the musical soul.
Fronting AC/DC is a dream come true for Axl, a kid from Lafayette, Indiana, who will this year be front and centre of the biggest rock bands in a generation. 
There is not even the tiniest shred of doubt in my mind that this won't work. Axl will sing the shit out of the AC/DC back catalogue and hopefully his fractured foot heals in time so he can prowl the stage in his indomitable fashion, like a predator sniffing blood.
This is the summer Axl Rose will go down in history as the man who had the rock world by the balls. Back with Slash and Duff for the 'Not In This Lifetime' tour which is selling out huge stadiums across North America, and with AC/DC here in Europe, the big winners are us fans who are heading in music terms to a 'Paradise City.'
I'll leave the last words to Axl who sums it up best himself.
“Ragz to richez or so they say, ya gotta-keep pushin' for the fortune and fame, it's all a gamble when it's just a game, you treat it like a capital crime, everybody's doin' their time.
“Take me down to the paradise city, where the grass is green, and the girls are pretty, take me home.”

Positive post by Neil Shah, who is a GN'R fan and has spoken positive things about the reunion on TV interviews

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/04/17/axl-rose-to-fill-in-for-acdc-lead-singer-brian-johnson/

Axl Rose to Fill In for AC/DC Lead Singer Brian Johnson

Guns n' Roses brought out AC/DC guitarist Angus Young for two covers at Coachella on Saturday

Axl Rose performs with Guns N' Roses at the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival Weekend in Indio, Calif. PHOTO: GETTY IMAGES

By 

NEIL SHAH

Apr 17, 2016 8:21 am ET

4 COMMENTS

It’s official: Guns N’ Roses’ Axl Rose is filling in for ailing AC/DC singer Brian Johnsonon the Australian hard-rock group’s “Rock or Bust” tour.

Months after postponing its tour, AC/DC, one of the biggest-grossing acts in the music industry, will resume its remaining European dates starting May 7 and reschedule its U.S. ones with Rose on vocals. In a statement released Saturday, the band thanked Johnson, who replaced original singer Bon Scott in 1980 but has decided to stop touring due to hearing issues. “Axl Rose has kindly offered his support to help us fulfill” the band’s touring commitments, the release said.

Read more: Guns N’ Roses Puts It Back Together

Rumors have swirled for weeks that Rose was taking over singing duties for AC/DC, after the band abruptly announced Johnson could no longer tour and photos were seen of Rose leaving a studio along with AC/DC members. (There are some doubts that concerns about permanent hearing loss are the whole story behind Johnson’s departure.) Rose, meanwhile, has been busy launching a highly-anticipated reunion tour with fellow Guns N’ Roses co-founders Slash and bassist Duff McKagan. That band, which played a headline set at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival on Saturday night, will hit some 20 stadiums across North America this summer.

Saturday night at Coachella, Rose said nothing about the AC/DC news, but let the music do the talking instead: Apologizing for not being able to run around onstage—he hurt his foot during a warm-up show and is performing while sitting—Rose surprised the audience by bringing out AC/DC’s Angus Young for two songs: “Whole Lotta Rosie” and “Riff Raff.” Guns N’ Roses’ drummer, Frank Ferrer, sported an AC/DC T-shirt.

Rose’s replacement gig is expected to be temporary, and works around Guns N’ Roses’ touring schedule. AC/DC’s European tour dates run from May 7 in Portugal to June 12 in Denmark, after which Rose will join his Guns N’ Roses bandmates on their “Not In This Lifetime” reunion tour of North American stadiums. AC/DC’s 10 postponed U.S. shows will be rescheduled and announced soon.

Angus Young of AC/DC, left, performs onstage with Axl Rose and Slash of Guns N' Roses during the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival in Indio, Calif. PHOTO: GETTY IMAGES

For Rose, singing for AC/DC is something of a dream job. A long-time AC/DC fan, Rose and Guns N’ Roses covered “Whole Lotta Rosie” in their early days; the singer once chastised a British music magazine for calling Guns N’ Roses “weak AC/DC.” Rose often performed “Riff Raff,” an early AC/DC song, with his pre-reunion version of Guns N’ Roses, where he was the sole original member.

AC/DC, for its part, needed a singer with a “mega marquee name” to ensure its ticket sales were not jeopardized, Eddie Trunk, a popular hard-rock and metal radio-show host,tweeted Saturday night. The temporary combination of Rose and AC/DC may strike some music fans as odd, but Trunk points out major singers have joined other bands in the past.

With Johnson singing songs such as “You Shook Me All Night Long” and “Highway to Hell” for the past 36 years, AC/DC became one of live music’s most consistent money-makers—in a league not just with rock groups such as Bon Jovi and the Rolling Stones, but also Taylor Swift and One Direction.

The big question now: What happens with AC/DC after these dates with Rose? Will AC/DC call it quits? Will it seek a permanent replacement? Whatever the band chooses will be watched carefully by the music industry.

Edited by The Archer

Roger Daltrey doesn't seem too impressed -

http://loudwire.com/the-who-roger-daltrey-acdc-axl-rose-karaoke/

The Who’s Roger Daltrey: AC/DC With Axl Rose Is Like Watching Karaoke

By Joe DiVita April 22, 2016 10:36 AM

SHARETWEETEMAILREDDIT

Andrew H. Walker, Getty Images

With Guns N’ Roses frontman Axl Rose officially tapped by AC/DC as Brian Johnson‘s replacement, the news has caused a divide in fans and musicians alike. Alice Cooper has stated Rose’s voice is “absolutely perfect” for the band, but the Who‘s Roger Daltrey has a differing opinion.

Daltrey stands as one of rock’s greatest frontmen and has also been a longtime friend of Brian Johnson who had fronted AC/DC since 1980. Johnson has been sidelined as he is at risk of total hearing loss if he continues to tour with the band as AC/DC have seemingly moved on without much consternation. “I mean I really feel badly for Brian,” began Daltrey in an interview with Postmedia Network.” It must be heartbreaking for him after all the service he’s given that band over the years. I thought their farewell statement to the press and to Brian was fairly curt to say the least. I felt for him. That must have hurt.”

The statement from AC/DC that Daltrey is referring to was concise, thanking Johnson for his contributions and wishing him well in the future. Johnson, in turn, released a lengthy statement of his own, detailing his hearing issues, thanking the fans and revealing he is still able to work on music in the studio. Daltrey echoed these notions when saying, “I’ve spoken to Brian. He’s got loads of other things he wants to do in his life. I think AC/DC will miss Brian much more than Brian will miss AC/DC. There you go. What do you expect from Australians? (laughs) … And he’s such a lovely guy, Brian. I’ve known him for 40 odd years, more.”

In closing, the Who frontman shared his opinion on Rose fronting the powerhouse rock outfit, stating, “I mean, go and see karaoke with Axl Rose? Give me a break. (Laughs).”

The world got their first taste of what Rose’s voice sounds like over AC/DC’s timeless brand of rock when Angus Young joined Guns N’ Roses onstage at Coachella. Together, they played the classics “Whole Lotta Rosie” and “Riff Raff.”

Read More: Roger Daltrey: AC/DC With Axl Rose Is Like Watching Karaoke | http://loudwire.com/the-who-roger-daltrey-acdc-axl-rose-karaoke/?trackback=tsmclip

Edited by The Archer

10 hours ago, Len B'stard said:

He's just sticking up for his mate really, gotta applaud that.  I'd love to see Rog' and Axl get into a fight :lol:

Yeah, I thought that too - but, it seem that he doesn't know that he isn't Australian (or maybe he was misquoted). Anyhow, he sure is sticking up for him.

Edited by The Archer

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/review/spin-doctor-acdcs-long-way-to-the-end-with-help-from-axl-rose/news-story/b7b0d892c7946871324d50f7a5169a82

Spin doctor: AC/DC’s long way to the end, with help from Axl Rose

THE AUSTRALIAN

APRIL 23, 2016 12:00AM

Iain Shedden

Music writer

Sydney

Axl Rose will take up the mic for the final gigs on AC/DC’s tour. Picture: Getty Images

For reasons that escape me, this week SD has been skimming over a handful of tomes pertaining to the life and times of AC/DC, that hardy perennial of Oz rock that just keeps on giving, even when the most ardent of fans are handing in their devil’s horns, binning their Back in Black T-shirts and waving a white flag on the group’s behalf.

There has been no shortage of books on Acca Dacca through the years, among them Mick Wall’s Hell Ain’t a Bad Place to Be and Australian writer Murray Engleheart and French collaborator Arnaud Durieux’s exhaustive unofficial account, AC/DC: Maximum Rock ’n’ Roll, as well as numerous illustrated histories.

The singer with whom AC/DC made its worldwide breakthrough, Bon Scott, also has been well represented in print, most recently in last year’s memoir Live Wire, by his friends John and Gabby D’Arcy and Mary Renshaw, as well as in the more compelling biography Highway to Hell: The Life and Death of Bon Scott, by Sydney author Clinton Walker.

Scott’s name has been bandied about a lot in the past week. That’s due to the announcement that Scott’s replacement of 36 years, Brian Johnson, has had to quit due to deafness. This week Johnson said he was “crushed” by the development. His place is to be taken by Axl Rose, he of Guns N’ Roses and perpetual lateness.

Admittedly this latest ring-in for a band whose only original member is guitarist Angus Young is a temporary one. Rose has been brought to the stage to complete the remaining US and European dates of Acca Dacca’s Rock or Bust world tour. Short-term or not, Rose’s appointment seems a desperate measure for a band that has been held in high regard for so long, even by those who are not necessarily fans of its music.

Respect is due to any musical entity that can, more or less, thrive on a formula devised more than 40 years ago, not least with a singer, Johnson, who had to step in when Scott died in 1980. They do what they do and they do it well. There comes a point, however, when acts have to do the decent thing — and it’s time for AC/DC to say farewell, as surely it will when these dates are done: except the band should have done it as soon as it became clear Johnson was unable to continue. Judging by social media feedback alone, and quite rightly, Acca Dacca diehards are unhappy to see the group’s legacy tarnished by what they consider a second-rate replacement, to put it politely.

Also in Review this weekend, singer Peaches (Merrill Nisker) and our writer Emily Ritchie document the ancient art of crowd surfing. Forty years ago (how can that be?) I saw Scott engaging in this practice, or climbing into the rafters, or carrying Young on his shoulders, something to which he seemed born, in Glasgow during AC/DC’s fledgling days in Britain. Punters loved it. He inspired such devotion with that rock ‘n’ roll nous, that knowing wink, that cheek, that provocation. He embodied everything that the band was about.

A few years back at a private function I was fortunate (at least for the purposes of this story) to witness singer Delta Goodrem, in a rather spectacular frock, jumping into the arms of a young fan club member, who, in his panic at such an unexpected turn, let the pop diva drop unceremoniously to the ground. One suspects a similar fate awaits the less glamorous Rose, metaphorically, when he joins Australia’s greatest and most enduring rock ‘n’ roll export for what must surely be its last hurrah.

spindoc@theaustralian.com.au

Just now, DieselDaisy said:

He's a proper old school cockney. Roger would deck Axl easily.

They are both short arses mind.

Rogers a proper hardnut y'know.  He banged out Townshend once, like put him out cold, kicked the fuck out of Moonie, not that either of those are feats.  He was sort of well known as a bully though, something he denies, despite admitting that he was a 'barrow boy from Shepherds Bush' and solved problems 'with a punch up' as a young lad because it's just how things were done.

I really don't understand the negativity over this. I get that AC/DC fans would prefer to hear/see Brian Johnson front the band just as GN'R fans would love to see Izzy and Steven back in the band rather than their replacements. However, isn't it a better option than never touring again? If the answer is yes, are there many better options than Axl?? In short, it's this or nothing.

Edited by thunderram

1 minute ago, thunderram said:

I really don't understand the negativity over this. I get that AC/DC fans would prefer to hear/see Brian Johnson front the band just as GN'R fans would love to see Izzy and Steven back in the band rather than their replacements. However, isn't it a better option than never touring again? If the answer is yes, are there many better options than Axl??

It depends on how you slice it. At their age and with such a career behind them, most of the diehards would prefer that they just retire if Brian is out for good. Cancel the tour and go out with dignity. The fans are upset with how Angus has handled the situation, that's all. Axl comes under fire as an indirect result. The complaining would be the same no matter who it was. Say it was Steven Tyler, we'd have less of the "oh is he even going to show up and not throw a tantrum" types of comments but the rest of the "just call it a day" would remain.

Personally, I think that if Angus has his heart set on finishing the tour, then a true guest singer with star power like Axl is the only way to go. Had they gone with a tribute band singer it would have been a total joke. Axl doesn't sound like Brian or Bon - he sounds like Axl, and that's why he might just pull it off.

Then it's time to retire. No Phil, no Malcolm, no Brian. Too many blows, and I say that as a Chris Slade fan.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, James Bond said:

It depends on how you slice it. At their age and with such a career behind them, most of the diehards would prefer that they just retire if Brian is out for good. Cancel the tour and go out with dignity. The fans are upset with how Angus has handled the situation, that's all. Axl comes under fire as an indirect result. The complaining would be the same no matter who it was. Say it was Steven Tyler, we'd have less of the "oh is he even going to show up and not throw a tantrum" types of comments but the rest of the "just call it a day" would remain.

Personally, I think that if Angus has his heart set on finishing the tour, then a true guest singer with star power like Axl is the only way to go. Had they gone with a tribute band singer it would have been a total joke. Axl doesn't sound like Brian or Bon - he sounds like Axl, and that's why he might just pull it off.

Then it's time to retire. No Phil, no Malcolm, no Brian. Too many blows, and I say that as a Chris Slade fan.

It's only a good proportion of the really hardcore fans who are upset. If you take a look at the total number of likes on the ac/dc fan page or the youtube videos of Axl and Angus performing, a good majority seem positive or in favor of the announcement and Axl performing. That's unscientific of course, but I think that the large number of casual fans and a good proportion of the hardcore fans, as well as many of those who are both Guns and AC/DC fans will approach the shows with an open mind. Anyhow, I don't see it as a bad thing that the hardcore fans are upset. If anything, it means that Axl has to work hard at getting their approval. Entirely fine by me. I wouldn't mind it if Angus hung up his boots after this, and I wouldn't mind if he continued either, whether it's just touring or even an unlikely new album. Maybe he thinks that they can pull off another miracle like they did with BIB. That's very unlikely of course, but it's going to be very interesting to see what Angus does if the pairing with Axl works out and wins fans over. 

Nikki Sixx:

In an interview Tuesday, the bassist said, “I think Axl’s got the right voice for that. Brian’s a friend. I’m a huge fan of AC/DC from back in the day. I was devastated when Bon Scott passed away and I didn’t think they could survive THAT. Brian means so much to AC/DC. I don’t know the inner workings, but if they have to go and do shows, I think Axl’s got the right voice.”

http://blogs.post-gazette.com/arts-entertainment/pop-noise/46512-nikki-sixx-talks-axl-rose-in-ac-dc-loss-of-prince

Bruce Dickinson on it being an 'odd' situation with Axl replacing Brian. The title is misleading though. Bruce is carefully neutral. I've noticed this in the past too - whenever the topic of Axl comes up, Bruce doesn't really go out of his way to slag him. I'm not sure that he's his biggest fan though.

Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson says having Axl Rose in AC/DC is an ‘odd situation’

http://www.couriermail.com.au/entertainment/iron-maiden-singer-bruce-dickinson-says-having-axl-rose-in-acdc-is-an-odd-situation/news-story/07ff4c86f17e12c261f5bb35eccad01a

I'm intrigued to see what the media reactions will be after the first show. Thinking about it in some ways this is the perfect opportunity for Axl to win over the haters as he won't be playing to diehard GN'R fans, it could get rid of his bad reputation amongst casual rock fans (on stage late, throws tantrums etc.). If the reaction is positive then this will make any European GN'R dates an ever bigger draw than they were going to be already! I can't wait for the reviews and footage to hit. 

• Like 1

From the guy who also auditioned for the singer spot in AC/DC:

“I love Guns N’ Roses,” he says. “But I hate Axl for AC/DC, and I may be a bit biased because I wanted the job, but the same time, AC/DC and Guns N’ Roses are two separate bands completely, and they’re two separate attitudes. It’s not a good fit."  

Still, if he had to lose out to someone, he’s OK with that person being Axl Rose. His favorite band is GN’R, for one thing. And he understands the point of going with an outsize figure like Rose.  

“If they’d have picked some other poor kid from the country, that would have been a lot worse,” he says. “They picked a big name; they picked a good singer and a great frontman. So that makes me feel better about the way they went, versus somebody else like myself out of the streets. I would have felt like they had no respect for my skills as a vocalist if they had gone in the other direction.”  

AC/DC’s scheduled appearance in Greensboro in March was among those canceled after Johnson’s departure. If and when AC/DC rolls back this way with Axl Rose, you can bet that Robinson will be on hand.  

“I get to meet the band in Greensboro, and I’m gonna ask them if I can sing a song," Robinson beams. "And if they say yes, I’m gonna go out there and demolish the song. And hopefully Axl doesn’t hit me.”

http://www.indyweek.com/music/archives/2016/04/28/trying-out-for-ac-dc-the-frontman-of-a-local-cover-band-remembers-his-day-leading-the-legends

Edited by Funky.Monkey

21 minutes ago, Funky.Monkey said:

From the guy who also auditioned for the singer spot in AC/DC:

“I love Guns N’ Roses,” he says. “But I hate Axl for AC/DC, and I may be a bit biased because I wanted the job, but the same time, AC/DC and Guns N’ Roses are two separate bands completely, and they’re two separate attitudes. It’s not a good fit."  

Still, if he had to lose out to someone, he’s OK with that person being Axl Rose. His favorite band is GN’R, for one thing. And he understands the point of going with an outsize figure like Rose.  

“If they’d have picked some other poor kid from the country, that would have been a lot worse,” he says. “They picked a big name; they picked a good singer and a great frontman. So that makes me feel better about the way they went, versus somebody else like myself out of the streets. I would have felt like they had no respect for my skills as a vocalist if they had gone in the other direction.”  

AC/DC’s scheduled appearance in Greensboro in March was among those canceled after Johnson’s departure. If and when AC/DC rolls back this way with Axl Rose, you can bet that Robinson will be on hand.  

“I get to meet the band in Greensboro, and I’m gonna ask them if I can sing a song," Robinson beams. "And if they say yes, I’m gonna go out there and demolish the song. And hopefully Axl doesn’t hit me.”

http://www.indyweek.com/music/archives/2016/04/28/trying-out-for-ac-dc-the-frontman-of-a-local-cover-band-remembers-his-day-leading-the-legends

Good Gracious. This is nothing but sour grapes.

The guy is a terrible Brian Johnson imitator...

..and an even worse Bon Scott imitator -

Say what you will about Axl, but he can sing the pants off this guy.

I'm really glad they didn't opt to go down the tribute band singer route. I see AXL/DC as being like Queen + Paul Rodgers in that you have an established, well respected rock singer with his own legacy and style interpreting the songs rather than just a soundalike trying to mimic someone else. I wouldn't have been interested in still getting a ticket to the show if Brian had been replaced by a tribute band singer. I mean, I've seen some great AC/DC tribute acts but Brian was very different to Bon so it makes sense to go for someone original. 

Plus, I imagine there will be GN'R fans who will want to see this who may not have gone to see AC/DC (although I imagine there's a lot of crossover as they're hardly a million miles apart stylistically) originally and will thus buy up any refunds.  

• Like 3

I think they are jealous cause the GNR name,no matter of which line up or how original is,still keeping the interesting of media,of fans etc without doing nothing important at all,there is hate cause they fear that AXL may succeed with AC/DC tour and then will take all the lights of media and respect with him.

I appreciate what bruce dickinson have done in music genre with maiden and his solo career but for god shake,why he keep that attitude,no,Axl will not late a minute onstage with AC/DC,he is not his band,it's not his fanbase to act like that.

Edited by Majestic Beast
  • Like 1

Zakk Wylde Talks Relationship With Ozzy Osbourne, Says Axl Rose Is Best Choice to Front AC/DC

http://loudwire.com/zakk-wylde-relationship-ozzy-osbourne-axl-rose-best-choice-ac-dc/

The conversation then shifted toward the current state of AC/DC. With Brian Johnson sidelined and at risk of total hearing loss if he performs with the band, Axl Rose has been selected to front the group as

they reschedule postponed tour dates. Wylde gave a resounding thumbs up at the move, stating, “We all want Brian to get better, as far as his hearing. That’s terrible. I’ve met Brian, and he’s the sweetest

guy on the planet. I mean, obviously, everybody’s rooting for Brian to get better. But in the meantime, while Brian’s recovering, I couldn’t think of a better choice and Axl’s such a huge

fan. Bon Scott is, like, his guy.”

Wylde then reflected on the times he and Rose would talk about their favorite musicians and singers, adding, “Whenever we talk about all the bands and musicians, Bon Scott was his…

As far as singers go, he was, like, ‘That was my guy.’ So, for Axl, I’m sure he’s beyond honored that he could actually… you know, he’s gonna sing with the guys.” Excited, he concluded, “I think

it’s gonna be awesome, because, I mean, Axl loves that stuff. So in the meantime, until Brian gets better, I couldn’t think of a better way to do it.”

Just reading that, you can understand why Axl is not going to take this casually at all. IMO, he's not going to want to look like an idiot while filling in Bon's shoes. This is going to be epic!!

Edited by The Archer