Who is the weakest member of the current lineup?

TheSeeker

Who is the weakest member of the current lineup?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

IMO the answer is obvious if you've been around the forum for the past few weeks. Frank?

In my opinion the weakest performer right now in GNR is Slash... as unpopular a comment as that may be. His solo's sound bad, he's bending out of key all the time and while he definitely has brand new strings, his playing and amp settings make it sound like he hasn't changed strings in a year. Not that impressed, and if it was Ashba that was doing this he would have been crucified by now. Rhythm work is fine, but Slash is a lead guitar player first and foremost so if he isn't nailing NV etc. he's not doing the job. 

I've seen him play 100 times better, not even a year ago so I don't know what the problem is.

And, I'm a huge Slash fan, before I get accused of being some sort of NuGnR lunatic, who's just saying this to defend Axl's guys. Been to see Slash solo twice, like a good bit of his solo material especially world on fire. IMO Slash's playing has been on the decline for a while, even outside of Guns.

2 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

IMO the answer is obvious if you've been around the forum for the past few weeks. Frank?

In my opinion the weakest performer right now in GNR is Slash... as unpopular a comment as that may be. His solo's sound bad, he's bending out of key all the time and while he definitely has brand new strings, his playing and amp settings make it sound like he hasn't changed strings in a year. Not that impressed, and if it was Ashba that was doing this he would have been crucified by now. Rhythm work is fine, but Slash is a lead guitar player first and foremost so if he isn't nailing NV etc. he's not doing the job. 

I've seen him play 100 times better, not even a year ago so I don't know what the problem is.

And, I'm a huge Slash fan, before I get accused of being some sort of NuGnR lunatic, who's just saying this to defend Axl's guys. Been to see Slash solo twice, like a good bit of his solo material especially world on fire. IMO Slash's playing has been on the decline for a while, even outside of Guns.

I was watching some of the Vegas videos last night and I did notice NR having some weird bends, and the Paradise City solo was very very updated. I've liked most of his updated solos, but I did not think the Paradise City solo he did on 4/9 was as good as it was with his solo band.

1 hour ago, OmarBradley said:

Melissa because I still don't know why she's in the band.

backing vocals and some nodling on the CD songs

Btw i almost vote to her, but voted Dizzy instead because he may in for 25 years, but he is ugly. Melissa is not. Case closed. The rest of the line up is great

Edited by Strange Broue
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, OmarBradley said:

I was watching some of the Vegas videos last night and I did notice NR having some weird bends, and the Paradise City solo was very very updated. I've liked most of his updated solos, but I did not think the Paradise City solo he did on 4/9 was as good as it was with his solo band.

I don't mind if he updates solo's, I just want him to play them in tune. Now! eery guitar player bends a few notes off pitch in a gig... but the amount I've heard from Slash on thee recent shows? I honestly can't believe it, as he's usually a lot tighter and accurate with his bending. 

Crap guitar tone too... but that's subjective, I suppose. If he would put a little more gain on his amp, it would sustain a lot easier (I've noticed him trying to sustain notes and not pulling it off).

Just to be clear, he's still performing well, but it isn't exactly living up to my expectations.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I dont know whats going on with his rig, but its awful. I agree about his playing being on the decline. It especially irks me when he does extended solos on RQ and PC. His tone and severely lacking improv....performance? if you will....just really turns me off to his playing. It sounds like he's playing a $99 guitar through an 8" practice amp. Yeah, I get he's Slash with decades of experience. But what gives? How can anyone hear that awful tone and think that sounds good? Especially now that hes back in GNR and supposedly rehired Adam Day, why would he stick to such a lackluster setup? I've said it a dozen times on this forum, but he really ought to go back to his UYI rig setup for Guns. That was honestly the holy grail of tone, baffles me how he would go from that to this. ugh.

And  you're right on his bends. That was one thing when he was drunk/high in the early 80s/90s, but there's no reason he shouldnt be nailing very basic bends. There are kids on YouTube nailing that solo just fine, he's not giving it his all.

Edited by pugachev

5 hours ago, Strange Broue said:

You should hear him today... he stepped up on his game, even fixed his tone

I would say he is as perfect as in his own solo shows now....

Just checked out NV, first solo... So, so. The 2nd solo? Not awful, still a bit out. The outro was bad though. 

Seems like he can't bend around the 20-22nd frets anymore without being completely flat. Has the same issue at the where do we go part in SCOM.

*not sure why this thread was moved out of sight, there's been far less interesting threads left open... Axl/gnr fashion etc. because it's not 100% positive towards the regrouping? Securing those VIP passes? ;)

I find Melissa to be very useless, what is even the need of her? Like that call a trumpet player too cause even that will add more to the sound.

GNR was 5 guys and that was enough, they added Dizzy, ok good, but why add another keyboard player? 

Like that add 4 more bass players.

Frank is just......I don't know man.......Steven SHOULD have been there, other than Steven, Matt or Brent Snape Fitz would have been the perfect choice. 

14 hours ago, LikeADog93 said:

Hands down Melissa. There's no reason for her to be there. One keyboard is enough

yeah, but she's not fucking up the tempo for every single AFD song like Frank does, and to me, that is much worse than being a hot keyboardist that has no point