Who is the weakest member of the current lineup?

TheSeeker

Who is the weakest member of the current lineup?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, pugachev said:

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed. I dont know whats going on with his rig, but its awful. I agree about his playing being on the decline. It especially irks me when he does extended solos on RQ and PC. His tone and severely lacking improv....performance? if you will....just really turns me off to his playing. It sounds like he's playing a $99 guitar through an 8" practice amp. Yeah, I get he's Slash with decades of experience. But what gives? How can anyone hear that awful tone and think that sounds good? Especially now that hes back in GNR and supposedly rehired Adam Day, why would he stick to such a lackluster setup? I've said it a dozen times on this forum, but he really ought to go back to his UYI rig setup for Guns. That was honestly the holy grail of tone, baffles me how he would go from that to this. ugh.

And  you're right on his bends. That was one thing when he was drunk/high in the early 80s/90s, but there's no reason he shouldnt be nailing very basic bends. There are kids on YouTube nailing that solo just fine, he's not giving it his all.

like anything else, it's muscle memory and some of the setlist they are playing he hasn't played in over 20 years and his playing with VR and solo hasn't featured some of the bends he did on UYI -- like Axl's voice, give it time -- plus, I do't think you people that are criticizing Slash are taking into account the tempo of some songs is just way to fast and that may effect the tempo/rythm of his playing.

As for his rig, we'll see what he brings out on the stadium portion of the tour

13 hours ago, TheSeeker said:

Everyone is clowning him on Youtube for ruining Rocket Queen:

No question the middle section is crap, but that's on everyone involved. If he played that beat and the guys said nothing that's because they liked it... I don't know why they like it, but someone should tell them to cut that part out of the song because it isn't working. WAY too much going on, maybe at the show it MIGHT be clearer but this sounded inaudible with a non-distinct riff and really busy / splash heavy drum beat. Know what they were trying to do but It doesn't work.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Should just go back to the old school way. Keep the 16ths on the hat, vamp on the riff and let Slash noodle with his talk box... but for no longer than 1.5 minutes... it's not 1970 anymore SLASH!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jmapelian said:

like anything else, it's muscle memory and some of the setlist they are playing he hasn't played in over 20 years and his playing with VR and solo hasn't featured some of the bends he did on UYI -- like Axl's voice, give it time -- plus, I do't think you people that are criticizing Slash are taking into account the tempo of some songs is just way to fast and that may effect the tempo/rythm of his playing.

As for his rig, we'll see what he brings out on the stadium portion of the tour

Muscle memory? to a certain extent that comes into play... but that's supposed be taken care of in the 3 months of rehearsals, right? 

We're not talking about a kid who's just picked up the guitar, this guy has been playing for 40 odd years, bending out of key is not down to being unfamiliar with the song, it's down to over, or under shooting the mark, either by not hearing yourself correctly in the monitor, or because you can't tell the difference between flat, on pitch or Sharp. I know for a fact that Slash know's the difference, But I have no answers why he's playing the way he is.

I'd bet that his rig right now will be his main rig throughout the summer too. Unless they go back into rehearsals after this run I can't see them overhauling everything for the summer tour. And, his rig is pretty much the same as it was for the past 4/5 years. It just happens with age where guitar players start to dial back the gain, to get more natural tones... same thing happened to Kirk Hammett and Hetfield, and a bunch of others. Sounds like his gain is on 3 or 4, even if he put it to 5/6 it woud give his solo's that extra bite that he had on the UYI tours. The UYI tour was over 20 year ago and tastes change, but go damn this is GnR not The Dire Straits... give us some dirt!!!

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Muscle memory? to a certain extent that comes into play... but that's supposed be taken care of in the 3 months of rehearsals, right? 

We're not talking about a kid who's just picked up the guitar, this guy has been playing for 40 odd years, bending out of key is not down to being unfamiliar with the song, it's down to over, or under shooting the mark, either by not hearing yourself correctly in the monitor, or because you can't tell the difference between flat, on pitch or Sharp. I know for a fact that Slash know's the difference, But I have no answers why he's playing the way he is.

I'd bet that his rig right now will be his main rig throughout the summer too. Unless they go back into rehearsals after this run I can't see them overhauling everything for the summer tour. And, his rig is pretty much the same as it was for the past 4/5 years. It just happens with age where guitar players start to dial back the gain, to get more natural tones... same thing happened to Kirk Hammett and Hetfield, and a bunch of others. Sounds like his gain is on 3 or 4, even if he put it to 5/6 it woud give his solo's that extra bite that he had on the UYI tours. The UYI tour was over 20 year ago and tastes change, but go damn this is GnR not The Dire Straits... give us some dirt!!!

I know during the UYI tour all the way until after Velvet Revolver, he use to run two Marshall heads in stereo with a Boss EQ mid boost on solos. Same on cleans, 2 heads in stereo. That really fattened up his tone. He tours lighter now with one dirty head and another in reserve. 

Also, was it ever confirmed Adam Day returned as his tech? I read that multiple times but never seemed to be confirmed.

Edited by pugachev

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

he's playing rushed because of the drummer

• Like 1

Weakest member, what is this, the Erection Olympics?!?  Yous lot look at bands the wrong way.  You're like fuckin' asset strippers or something.  Individually speaking everyone is weak, it's about the collective racket, they call it music boys and girls.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jmapelian said:

he's playing rushed because of the drummer

I didn't say he was rushing. Bending out of key... are we seriously blaming the drummer, because the guitar player is bending the notes off pitch? craziness. 

5 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I didn't say he was rushing. Bending out of key... are we seriously blaming the drummer, because the guitar player is bending the notes off pitch? craziness. 

so you never heard a guitarist complain about a drummer not staying in pocket?

7 hours ago, jmapelian said:

so you never heard a guitarist complain about a drummer not staying in pocket?

He's in the pocket. Again this crazy. The Frank hate is off the charts!

Here's fact for you all, Slash has played like this for a while now, including with Brent, and if memory serves I think he was doing some stinking at the Rock Hall on the end if sweet child WITH Steven on drums... So both of those guys aren't in the pocket either I guess. It couldn't be because of the other  numerous / logical explanation I offered.

I too felt that Slash's bends in November Rain outro were not up to the mark in the Las Vegas show. But I saw some videos of November Rain performed live by other GnR guitarists, and they too sounded off.

Here's Bumblefoot playing the outro: 

I think this is one of the worst NR live performances that I've heard (barring Axl's voice). Also, Bumblefoot's bends seem off. 

And here's one by Buckethead: 

The outro bends seem out of tune. Not sure if it is Bucket's fault or something else which is making it sound this way. 

This surprised me because I know both Bumblefoot and Buckethead are both great guitarists.

I also saw a relatively recent video of Bumblefoot playing it and he completely nailed the outro. But he wasn't using a Les Paul like he was using in the above video. So, maybe it's got something to do with that?

I really enjoyed Slash's Mexico performance of NR though. Great tone and playing. It seemed really good except for the tempo and few unnecessary fills by Ferrer. 

Edited by 22frets
  • Like 1

On 21/04/2016 at 5:07 PM, 22frets said:

I too felt that Slash's bends in November Rain outro were not up to the mark in the Las Vegas show. But I saw some videos of November Rain performed live by other GnR guitarists, and they too sounded off.

Here's Bumblefoot playing the outro: 

I think this is one of the worst NR live performances that I've heard (barring Axl's voice). Also, Bumblefoot's bends seem off. 

And here's one by Buckethead: 

The outro bends seem out of tune. Not sure if it is Bucket's fault or something else which is making it sound this way. 

This surprised me because I know both Bumblefoot and Buckethead are both great guitarists.

I also saw a relatively recent video of Bumblefoot playing it and he completely nailed the outro. But he wasn't using a Les Paul like he was using in the above video. So, maybe it's got something to do with that?

I really enjoyed Slash's Mexico performance of NR though. Great tone and playing. It seemed really good except for the tempo and few unnecessary fills by Ferrer. 

I think Bumblefoot would even say that he was very disrespectful of the classics when he first joined, super wide vibrato and over the top tapping. This isn't a great performance from him, but there are other videos where he's much more on point especially from 2009 onwards. His bending is a bit liberal here but it's only ever so slightly out in comparison to Slash's recent attempts.

Anyway, Slash is still playing pretty well he just sucks every once in a while. I can deal with that.

Frank.. He is terrible...

Melissa is pointless but doesn't seem to have a negative effect besides making the band look cheesy..

Slash isn't on top of his game but I just don't think he feels comfortable in the band.. He doesn't click with Fortus and Frank

I also don't see why this thread cann't be on the main page. It should have more visibility.