The Magic of Slash on Axl's Voice

7 hours ago, jayrod737 said:

I know Axl's voice isn't perfect, but the I'm just amazed at the way he can consistently sing Jungle, Nightrain, parts at the end to YCBM and even Coma now. It makes me wonder if there is something more going on.  Its just hard to believe he would have intentionally sounded so bad for so long towards the last few years of NuGuns. 

Shania Twain lost her voice after her husband cheated on and left her.  

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/471741/shania-twain-not-only-lost-husband-but-also-voice

Is there some mystical element that has come back to Axl's voice with the return of Slash? 

I think it's called happiness. I believe Axl missed Slash but because he's Axl he'd never admit it. I love the times Slash stands near to Axl's "throne", I can see the rapport between them and it is, IMO, magic!

To be honest, I think hes voice is pretty much the same as 2011-2014. Some songs pretty damn good( same songs as always) and some quite bad. He seems to be more on fire though, and defenitely having fun. Maybe even jokes. Little less bloated aswell. Im surprised people are hearing how damn good he sounds, I cant. Hes ok. 

9 hours ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Nothing mystical, just more motivation to dig deeper. Axl's vocals are some of the most difficult in the history of rock and roll. Robert Plant straight up quit even trying to hit the high notes of his early Zeppelin songs before he even reached age 40. Axl is in his mid-50's and still goes for it. Due to his age, he has to dig deeper for the voice we know and love. But it is still in there and that's a great thing. Cherish it because Father Time catches up with everyone eventually.

Agreed! And this is exactly the reason why these shows can't disappear from our memories. THEY HAVE TO RELEASE a new live album with Axl singing like this!

3 hours ago, Kosonen said:

To be honest, I think hes voice is pretty much the same as 2011-2014. Some songs pretty damn good( same songs as always) and some quite bad. He seems to be more on fire though, and defenitely having fun. Maybe even jokes. Little less bloated aswell. Im surprised people are hearing how damn good he sounds, I cant. Hes ok. 

I don't think he sounds as great as some make him out to be either. I do think he is doing the best he has with what he has left and there are no complaints with Axl. I just don't think the rest of the band is capable of picking up the slack.  Starting with the drummer.. 

Edited by Tom-Ass

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

Explain 2006.

He was on fire! no Slash. I'd go as far as to say that 2006 Axl was the best he has ever sounded (outside of the studio). 

He has definitely improved from what we saw from 2011-2014.

He, at the time, had an impending album and a lot to prove so he had to really go for it then.

5 hours ago, blackrose87 said:

Finally someone who see's live rock n roll for what it is. This place is insane lately with nit picking of every little detail regarding Axl's voice, Slash's playing/tone, Franks drumming.......
They sound tight as fuck and are all bringing their A game. I say sit back and enjoy it while it lasts.

Some people just had higher expectations of what was once the greatest rock band on the planet and difference of opinion as to what qualifies as tight as fuck.. This band is anything but that. They sounded like they were taped together half the time. There are moments of excellence in there but they are far and few in between what I would expect from Guns N' Roses. At least a Guns N' Roses that didn't only contain Axl as an original member. I think this is great and an upgrade for people that loved NuGnR but not so much for many that didn't. This is still NuGnR by all accounts. Duff didn't change anything when he was back in 2014.. There is a noticeable difference with Slash back but still has many of the shit qualities that made NuGnR.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Some people just had higher expectations of what was once the greatest rock band on the planet and difference of opinion as to what qualifies as tight as fuck.. This band is anything but that. They sounded like they were taped together half the time. There are moments of excellence in there but they are far and few in between what I would expect from Guns N' Roses. At least a Guns N' Roses that didn't only contain Axl as an original member. I think this is great and an upgrade for people that loved NuGnR but not so much for many that didn't. This is still NuGnR by all accounts. Duff didn't change anything when he was back in 2014.. There is a noticeable difference with Slash back but still has many of the shit qualities that made NuGnR.

Axl's voice is as good as its been in many years and Slash's playing is technically better than its ever been. The band is well rehearsed and well drilled. they are getting out there and performing and performing well from what critics and fans are saying. What qualifies as a moments of excellence? its not 1988 or 1992 anymore. People change. Its a shame that its not the full AFD lineup but what we have is pretty awesome.
What really annoy's me here is that no matter what happens here poeple aren't happy and bitch and moan over the pettiest stupidest things. 

Edited by blackrose87
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, blackrose87 said:

Axl's voice is as good as its been in many years and Slash's playing is technically better than its ever been. The band is well rehearsed and well drilled. they are getting out there and performing and performing well from what critics and fans are saying. What qualifies as a moments of excellence? its not 1988 or 1992 anymore. People change. Its a shame that its not the full AFD lineup but what we have is pretty awesome.
What really annoy's me here is that no matter what happens here poeple aren't happy and bitch and moan over the pettiest stupidest things. 

I don't think the quality of the music is stupid and petty... 

13 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

They were a sloppy live band in their absolute prime. Axl even addressed it on stage at the Ritz 88: "People will call us the sloppiest band in America, but I really don't give a fuck." That sloppiness made them more interesting than if they just played the songs exactly like the album. What they had more than anything was unbelievable energy on stage. That is long gone. No more drugs and booze, plus 30 years of slowing down. Will never be what it was and that is exactly why I'm not paying the crazy price to see any of these shows, but I have enjoyed the bootlegs very much. They sound pretty damn good to me. Watched some bootlegs of the Stones at the exact same stadium from last month and they sound terrible.

8 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Will never be what it was and that is exactly why I'm not paying the crazy price to see any of these shows

I have great seats to the Foxboro show and will be selling if things don't change at all for the stadium tour which I doubt they will. Wasn't a fan of NuGnR and this is more of a continuation of that than a reunion.

15 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

I have great seats to the Foxboro show and will be selling if things don't change at all for the stadium tour which I doubt they will. Wasn't a fan of NuGnR and this is more of a continuation of that than a reunion.

Even if it was full Appetite 5, it's not 1988. Steve Adler had a friggin stroke. He plays the Appetite material better than Frank, but he is nowhere near as energetic on the drums as he was back in the day. Slash barely moves on stage compared to the old days. Duff is less energetic. Izzy is less energetic. And Axl has slowed down a ton plus obviously the vocals he had back then are impossible for a 50 something year old. Throw in that you're talking stadiums versus intimate club gigs and it's just nowhere near the same. There's no way they could possibly live up to what they did in their early days. I think people are pretty nuts for paying big money to see any stadium show of a rock band 25+ years past their prime. Just my two cents.

Edited by GNRfan2008
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, GNRfan2008 said:

Even if it was full Appetite 5, it's not 1988. Steve Adler had a friggin stroke. He plays the Appetite material better than Frank, but he is nowhere near as energetic on the drums as he was back in the day. Slash barely moves on stage compared to the old days. Duff is less energetic. Izzy is less energetic. And Axl has slowed down a ton plus obviously the vocals he had back then are impossible for a 50 something year old. Throw in that you're talking stadiums versus intimate club gigs and it's just nowhere near the same. There's no way they could possibly live up to what they did in their early days. I think people are pretty nuts for paying big money to see any stadium show of a rock band 25+ years past their prime. Just my two cents.

The running around onstage isn't a big factor for me.. The biggest factor to me is the music sounding good. I could care less about the special effects and pyro and how much Fortus runs around posing, I just want it to sound good. I have seen Slash and Duff play these songs near perfect over the last two decades and there is really no reason this band can't. I paid the big bucks to see the Vegas show. Dunno if I can justify doing it again to see what is essentially NuGnR still.

1 minute ago, Tom-Ass said:

The running around onstage isn't a big factor for me.. The biggest factor to me is the music sounding good. I could care less about the special effects and pyro and how much Fortus runs around posing, I just want it to sound good. I have seen Slash and Duff play these songs near perfect over the last two decades and there is really no reason this band can't. I paid the big bucks to see the Vegas show. Dunno if I can justify doing it again to see what is essentially NuGnR still.

There is no way any of these shows are worth paying big bucks to see, especially knowing that the real thing cost $10 to see in their prime.

7 minutes ago, GNRfan2008 said:

There is no way any of these shows are worth paying big bucks to see, especially knowing that the real thing cost $10 to see in their prime.

Probably true but I'd unfortunately pay it again if it was done right. 

And remember all that they sound 1000 times better at the gig compared to some smart phone video.

Also, it's very hard to sit down and sing. He can't use his body as a tool to get the power when needed.

On the other hand, he don't run either and get out of breath. But oxygen helps for that too..

I think Axl sounds great and so does Slash, Duff too.

Sure, the band fucks up parts sometimes but that's normal in live situation. Sometimes it might be because they can't hear the monitors so well or something...

Nice to see them happy and playing their hearts out! Enjoy!

I couldn't care any less about them being energetic. Axl is the only one moving on this video and this is the best footage I've ever seen of Guns N' Roses (at least my favorite, by far).

As long as they sound great, everything's perfect for me. Let the music do the talking and Usain Bolt do the running :D

• Like 1

On 4/20/2016 at 7:55 AM, Tom2112 said:

Explain 2006.

He was on fire! no Slash. I'd go as far as to say that 2006 Axl was the best he has ever sounded (outside of the studio). 

He has definitely improved from what we saw from 2011-2014.

I was at a lot of shows in 06. He was in shape and usually sounded good, but not great. Nothing close to his heyday except for a song here and there.

• Like 1